A Bittersweet Goodbye

This afternoon, the UPS man came to visit me.

I always love when the UPS man comes to visit me; that means he’s bringing me goodies.

And I like goodies. A lot.

But when I saw that he was bringing me goodies in the form of Love Grown Foods Granola, I loved his afternoon visit even more.

The granola couldn’t have come at a better time, really. I just ran out of my Sunflower Seed Butter Granola a couple of days ago and had it on my to-do list to make more tomorrow. I guess that’ll just have to wait.

IMG_5151IMG_5152

Especially now that I have so many amazing combos to try out.

Obviously, I couldn’t wait to dig in…

And I’m happy to announce the Raisin Almond Crunch tasted phenomenal as ever, and was even powerful enough to lift my spirits from being a little down in the dumps

Yes, this afternoon was somewhat of a sad afternoon for me…

I’ve never been really good with change. I’ll be honest.

But today I had to say goodbye to something that has been very near and dear to my heart for the past 10 years.

Yes my friends, that would be my little 2002 Chevy Cavalier. (You like the taillights? Jay and I bought those for my car right around the time that the Fast and the Furious movie came out and everyone was drooling over “fast cars” while I was drooling over Paul Walker.)

I was greeted with this little gem on Christmas morning of my senior year in high school and actually caused such a scene that the home video we sent into America’s Funniest Home Videos actually may have made it on TV (we never saw it, but we got letters back from the show asking that everyone appearing in the video sign a release).

I guess you could say that I was a tad bit excited…but then again, what high school senior wouldn’t be ecstatic to have this waiting for them on Christmas morning with a big red bow on it?

Obviously, I’d be lying if I said the car wasn’t my favorite part of this gift (which was actually a Christmas/Birthday/Graduation present for what I was told would be the next 10 years…they fibbed). Winking smile

But there was so much more to receiving this amazing gift from my parents. With the car, I got a handwritten letter from my parents.

One that I have kept, and will continue to keep, not because I like to hoard things (which I do) but because this letter meant so much more to me than my parents could have ever realized.

This letter was further proof of the fact that I made my parents proud. Something that I had always strived at. I’ve long been a people pleaser, but mostly with my parents.

I basked in the satisfaction and praise that I would get after coming home with a stellar report card I had worked so hard at. My parents were always proud of all of my accomplishments, not only in academics, but in sports, and in life. They were proud of the young woman I had become, and they were proud to have me as their daughter.

(I always laughed at the fact that they included my brother’s name on this letter because he clearly was not as excited about me receiving the car as I was, or as excited as my parents were to give it.)

So I guess you could say that while, yes, my car and I went through a lot together…a whole college career,

a year away from the love of my life, and some of the toughest times I’ve ever had to face as a young woman…there’s a lot of sentimental value behind my little Cavalier.

What can I say, I’m an emotional gal!

So it was rather bittersweet today when I received a call from someone inquiring about the car that has been posted for sale. Before I knew it, after a couple weeks on Craigslist, the transaction was finally made, and the new owner drove off with my baby.

Ohhhh don’t you worry about me…I’ll be fine. Like I’ve said, I’m super sentimental and can be rather dramatic when I want to be. Winking smile

And since I’m sure some of you are wondering why I would bother to sell it, it’s because my grandmother recently moved to a new place where she will no longer need her car. So now, I’ll be toolin’ around, trying to get used to a whole new (but not really new) vehicle.

So tonight, I think while Joe & Kate are here for dinner, I’m going to toast to my Cavalier with a glass of wine.

Hey, I’m always looking for an excuse to celebrate with wine

CHEERS! Smile

Questions for the Evening:

Do you deal well with change?

What’s the best gift (physical or not) that you’ve ever received?

Comments

I was the same way when I sold my 2000 Cavalier, black, 2 door too! My husband had to come to the dealership with me because I thought I might cry! It sounds so lame! But there were so many memories with it, being my first car and I had it for almost 8 years!
    I like to think I deal with change well, but deep down I like routine :)

Aww – so sad that your car is going to someone new! At leas you’ll get to drive a new car though.

I can’t really think of the best gift I’ve received, because I’ve had so many great things given to me. I’d say the best gift would be my mom’s financial support she offered to send me to an amazing private high school and private college! Hopefully someday I can return the favor and take care of her later in life :)

Aww..goodbye car! My brother got my first car when he got his license, and then he totaled (sp?) 2 weeks later. Talk about a quick goodbye! I do okay with change, but if it’s something that will really impact my life then I can get really sad! Love the glass of wine- wine is my favorite :)

Aw, girl. I want to give you a hug and drink wine with you. It was the car AND all the things that go with the car, memories and the past. I get you… Look at how far it took you.
    Those granola clusters look wonderful, they will be great in so many different things.
    Best physical gift: my engagement ring. My husband was listening and bought me the exact cut of diamond I wanted, it’s not all that common so he had to spend time searching one down. I never expected it and all the love he put into creating the ring. Awww, what a mushy person I can be. Geeeeeeze!!!

Awe giiiirl! I am so sorry about your baby. Just remember that it will (hopefully) be in a better place <3

Slash Love Grown Foods Granola is the best. thing. in. the. world. When they sent me their granola it was like a gift from heaven.

I am pretty good with change. I pretty much just go with the flow with things. And best gift?? Definitely my birthday when I was sixteen. My grandparents got me wonderful tickets to Wicked. My grandma was all cute and decorated this HUGE card with the wicked picture (glinda whispering to elphaba). I think I screamed for a good thirty seconds before I let anyone know what they had actually gotten me. It is a wonderful memory, as was the show :D

I am awful when it comes to change. I once left my red nintendo ds on a plane to vegas, and I seriously went through major withdrawal. I eventually had to buy another ds, in a different color because my I needed to start fresh, and the red would of reminded me of the lost one.. Yes, I am awful with change…
    I need to find me some of that granola! looks delish

A Cavalier was my dream car in high school (other than a Lexus, of course, haha). I never ended up getting that particular car, though, but it’s cool to see how much you loved yours. :)

I opened my google reader and clicked on the new post from The Actor’s Diet. Oh, so Lynn got stuff from the UPS guy and had a sad day, she sold her car that she got for her high school graduation. The only mystery was “Why do Lynn’s parents call her Courtney? is that her real name?”. and since when does she have a yard with a pool…..? Then it dawned on me that I had actually not opened Lynn’s post.. By looking at the picts of you in the car I was convinced you are Lynn! Oh dear.

I’m usually okay with change… at least I like to tell myself I am. I fake a lot of my strength to pull myself through. Mind over matter, I suppose. Hmmm, my favorite gift has to have been my dog Loki. I rescued her from the LA streets, lost her (she escaped one day) then FOUND her again! I think that’s a pretty awesome gift.

I had a Cavalier in high school too! It was white with tinted windows. It had been my big brother’s before, thus the tinted windows. We used to call it “White Lightning.” I wasn’t that sentimental saying goodbye to it because it was on its last limb.

But, in general, while I adapt to change, I usually get pretty emotional. I’m just an emotional gal, what can I say?

The best gift I ever received was my mother and father helping me move to NYC (couldn’t afford it all by myself so they gave me an early bday present :-))

I remember saying goodbye to my first car and it was quite the emotional experience! Even though I was swapping it in for an “upgrade” it was still incredibly sad to see it go. Just like first loves I guess first cars will always have a place in our hearts :)

Totally depends on the change! When it was time to get rid of my first car I was crying tears of joy! I had a 1980 Dodge Diplomat (which was older than I). An old boat of a car. My 16 yr old self thought it mighty embarrassing.
    As for the best gift I’ve ever received? The most recent gift I received – my puppy, Maddux!!

I love routine, but like to think I roll with change pretty well. There are so many non-material gifts I’ve received, it’s hard to pick one. But definitely a car on my 16th bday was the best material gift! Looks like we both have pretty awesome parents! :-)

Aww…it is sad to sell your car. Especially one with that much sentimental value. I have to say though, that car looks good for being 10 years old and braving the NY winters! I had taillights like that for my car after fast and furious too. Funny stuff.

THe first car I bought as an “adult” was hard to get rid of. I sold it when I went to seminary because I couldn’t keep up the insurance and wouldn’t need it post graduation. The hardest part was one of my professors bought the car and parked it outside my apartment window everyday. I had to see it but couldn’t drive it.

I definitely didn’t deal well with change in my younger years, nowadays though I am a lot more relaxed and have realised that adventure comes when you accept that nothing is really permanent.
    The best gift I have ever been given is my little sister. I asked Mum and Dad if I could have a baby brother or sister and 9 months later Jess arrived. I fell in love with her from the first moment I saw her on the sonogram and I have never fallen out.

What a nice tribute to your car! I’m such a hoarder so clearly I don’t deal with change that well haha! Although I am getting better, change is inevitable so it’s easier to accept it and try to move on! And for what it’s worth, although the car has gone, your parents’ pride to have you as their daughter will always remain (gah how cheesy was that!) :)

I actually think my “best” gift I have ever received was my pair of diamond earrings that my dad bought for my for my 18th birthday. My dad told me that I was his diamond and deserved the world. I unfortunately was struggling with anorexia at the time. I wore the earrings everyday in treatment and it reminded me that my dad was with me ALL the time.
    My first car was a PT cruiser convertible in bright blue and I LOVED it. I got it when I was 15 so that I could learn to drive in it! :D

I felt my heart ache during this post…I can totally relate to it in that I’m a daddy’s girl, and he bought me a 2001 Mustang as a graduation gift. I still have it to this day and love it so much…it has so many memories and such sentimental value to it. However, hubby and I are trying for a baby soon and unfortunately a baby and mustang don’t go too well together so we’re going to have to sell it soon :( I’m really dreading the day that will happen and it will be a sad one…but I’ll be sure on that day to raise a champy glass to it ;) And no, I most definitely don’t do well with change…I get too emotional and sentimental over change…and it gets worse the older I get, haha!

I love my car I have now. I bought it myself my senior year of high school and even though I’ve only had it for 2 years I’m beyond attached to it. I can’t imagine how I’ll be in 10 years (even though I doubt it’ll last that long…it’s not the prettiest car since I had to be able to buy it lol)

22. Jen M. says

Ohhhh, I totally know how you feel! My first car was a purple two door Chevy Cavalier that I bought my senior year of high school, and I loved it! I am loving seeing pictures of yours because it looks just like mine did! I bought it used, and about five years later, I bought myself a brand new car as a college graduation/new career starting gift to myself, but even though I was trading it in to buy a brand new awesome car, I still cried when I handed over the keys (yes, at the dealership, after taking crying breaks during the whole several hours of paperwork to buy the new car, because I’m super-awesome-ridiculous-emotional like that). But hey! It’s an emotional thing for a girl to say goodbye to her first car!!!!! Especially such a cute one like a 2-door Chevy Cavalier!!! :) At least you got granola in the mail as a little cheer-up!

Awww Courtney the Cavalier girl! Those are great cars. This post reminded me of riding around in my friend’s black Cavalier (same as yours…minus the awesome lights naturally) from Dance team practice! The good ole days…

My favorite present was also my car. My parents helped me out HUGE and got me an 09 Honda Fit…which I absolutely love for the gas mileage! Being in college (Bachelor’s and now Master’s) really puts financial strain, and they were there to help as well…it means so much, doesn’t it?!

Awww, I totally sympathize – I also have a tendency to NAME motor vehicles which makes the attachment even more ridiculous!

Also I am now super curious to see the home vid of you getting your car! I’m sure it is hilarious!

I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now and I love it! You seem so sweet and always have delicious food combos that give me new ideas to try :)
    I was the same way when I sold my first car so I totally get where you’re coming from. You do get attached to your car!!!! I now have a new SUV that I love and am happy someone else got to enjoy my very first car :)

I am the proud owner of a 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier that I also got for Christmas the year I was a junior! It’s been through a lot, too many miles to count (wait, that’s what the odometer is for, about 52,000) and I know that, sometime in the near future, I should sell it.

The mere idea shakes me to the core.

Proud of you for the sweet farewell, cheers to you and your beloved Cavalier!

27. Ray says

Always looking for new products for my healthy vending business. I checked out Love Grown Granola’s website to request samples. I see smaller bags of in the pics above. What size are those? They only have the 12 oz size on their website…

Trackbacks

1. […] Skip to content Skip to content HomeMy StoryContact MeBe a Fashionista!Q & A’sQ&A's – Round 1Q&A's – Round 2Q&A's – Round 3Q&A's – Round 4Q&A's – Round 5RecipesBreads/MuffinsBreakfastCookies/Cookie BarsCupcakes & FrostingsDinnersPies/Trifles/Truffles/Candies/CrispsSalads/Sides/Odds & EndsBlog LoveWeddingHoneymoon in St. LuciaCourtney & JayGetting ReadyFlowersWedding PartyFamilyCeremonyDecorations & DetailsReceptionRehearsal DinnerWorkouts30 Minute Speedy Interval Run45 Minute Treadmill WorkoutWorkout Log30 Minute Calorie Blast30 Minute Interval RunIncline Treadmill WorkoutShop ← A Bittersweet Goodbye […]