Power Hour + Act Quick

by Courtney on June 28, 2011

Cody says, “Good Morning!”

This morning the alarm went off at 5:00am, just like usual, so I could get up and head out for my usual BodyPump class. I woke up initially feeling pretty well-rested and ready to go; however, as soon as I rolled over…it hit me.

Holy cow did it hit me.

My upper back…my arms…my sides…my glutes…my inner thighs…new muscles I never knew were even in there…

Did I get steamrolled by a MAC truck in the middle of the night?

Ohhhh, no, that’s right…it must be from yesterday’s BodyCombat class, followed with the insane amount of weeding that has really done me in.

I got up and started moving around anyways, to see if things would loosen up a bit, but by the time I got to the gym I was still sore as ever. So I made a last minute plan of attack and ended up skipping BodyPump in favor of a killer cardio workout, which I like to call, Power Hour

• 30 minute treadmill run = 3.2 miles
  • 20 minute elliptical intervals = 2 miles
  • 10 minute StairMaster “fat burn” routine = Insanity

It felt great to really sweat it out this morning, so I’m happy with my change of plans. I’ll just head back to BodyPump on Thursday.

******

Post-workout, my sweaty self came home to cook up some breakfast.

I made my usual Buckwheat Bowl, topped with half of a banana muffin. I had forgotten that I actually put three of these little guys into the freezer from the last time I made them and took them out to thaw last night.

Oh, and, ya know…iced coffee was consumed.

Deeeee-lish-ussss.

******

Saratoga Peanut Butter Co. Discount Alert!!

Do you guys remember my intense love for Blizzard Butter? It’s amazing, and I’m totally getting another jar this Saturday now that my nut butter stash is down to four jars. Winking smile

Well, for those of you who aren’t local and have asked me about this wonderful stuff, Saratoga Peanut Butter Co. also has an online store that anyone can order from. The online store actually offers lower prices than what it sells for at a retail outlet, but now I’ve also got a discount code to share with you!

Get 5% off any order over $20.00, with the discount code “sweet entered at checkout! The offer is only available until 6/30, so if you’ve ever thought about trying a jar, now is the time!

(If you want my opinion, I’d say your best bet would be to order a Sampler Pack + a Plain Jane creamy or chunky, which will get you right at $21.00, just over the $20 mark!)

******

Question for the Morning:

Do you have any foods that you like to buy online because you can’t get it local?

Do you have any foods/companies that you love that are local to where you live?

1 kate June 28, 2011 at 9:30 am

your workout looks awesome I need to get my butt to the gym!!

2 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health June 28, 2011 at 9:31 am

Cody is adorable! I should start buying some foods online. I don’t know why I’ve never tried that before.

3 Khushboo June 28, 2011 at 9:31 am

Killer workout! I am obsessed with the Cliff Z bar (s’more flavor) and just had my last one! I am tempted to order some boxes to London as I’m there over the summer!

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 28, 2011 at 9:33 am

Nice workout! I probably would’ve stopped after the treadmill ;) There are a bunch of things that I should probably buy online b/c I can’t find them around me, but I just never do it. It feels weird to me to order food online, not sure why.

5 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 28, 2011 at 9:33 am

Cody is so cuuuute! Even though soreness sucks short-term, I kind of like it because I know that I’ve royally kicked my own ass. I need to try BodyCombat! BodyPump and BodyAttack are my current faves <3

6 Chocolate, Cheese and Wine June 28, 2011 at 9:33 am

Not exactly – but I do only buy certain things from Trader Joe’s. Salsa for instance. I cannot wait to try the Blizzard Butter!

7 miranda @working mom works out June 28, 2011 at 9:34 am

Theres nothing I really have to order, but sometimes I so for better pricing. Your breakfast looks so good!

8 Yolie @ Practising Wellness June 28, 2011 at 9:34 am

Oh my gosh, dude, I hear ya on the weeding pains – I was like that yesterday! Gardening is a proper tough workout, surprisingly so?! A Sunday full of that, plus a tough yoga class, and “golf” (I use “” because I can’t really call my efforts true golf, lol!), and on Monday morning I literally felt like I’d been hit by a truck too! :-P Awesome cardio you did, in spite of the sore factor! :-)
I love to buy sunwarrior protein powder online because you can’t buy it anywhere in stores here…and that stuff is so good <3 xyx

9 Aine @ Something to Chew Over June 28, 2011 at 9:34 am

There’s foods I’d like to buy online because they aren’t available in Ireland but usually the shipping is so expensive that I just can’t justify it. When will Lara bars and Kashi cereal come to Ireland?!

There are so many great local producers in the Dublin area – my favourite is probably Chez Emily, who make artisan chocolate. Yum!

10 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 28, 2011 at 9:44 am

I always love how you top off your breakfast bowls with muffins. Makes my mouth water.

I don’t generally buy food online because I’m an impulse buyer and want instant gratification hehe. Can’t think of any local food in Omaha that I don’t have here in NYC. My father, on the other hand, born and raised in Chicago, loves him some Chicago pizza. Every year for his birthday, my brother and I have Chicago food shipped to Omaha.

11 Claire June 28, 2011 at 9:50 am

I like to buy protein powders online if I decide to use those (which is rare)

I also have a local store called “Duck Soup Co-Op” that I shop at for organic, local, and fair trade items! VERY reasonably priced as well!

12 Olivia June 28, 2011 at 9:57 am

Power hour- I love the idea of that! I get so sick of using only one piece of cardio at a time:) The elliptical that can mimic running (using longer strides) and the step machine is also a killer workout and doesn’t leave me bored to death.

13 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 28, 2011 at 9:58 am

I always buy matcha powder online, since I love making green tea smoothies and lattes, but they’re nowhere to be found near me. My favorite local store is my local health food store. It’s literally a 5 minute walk from my house and is like my candy store :)

I LOVE feeling sore from a workout. I think it’s a pride and satisfaction thing!

14 Diana June 28, 2011 at 10:08 am

I can’t wait to try the sampler pack! Can you share any tips you have for freezing baked goods? thanks!

15 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun June 28, 2011 at 10:13 am

sounds like a killer cardio sesh! The stepmill gets me every time.

And I only buy food online when I can get great bargains – like my Gu. Or (I’m actually blogging about it tom am) the six jars of Skippy natural I got for $10 through amazon. Sure, it’s not as great as other natural pbs but for less than $2/jar shipped = I’m in on that deal!

16 Courtney June 28, 2011 at 10:15 am

Really?? Is that deal still available? We eat Skippy natural here all the time!

17 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun June 28, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Not right now…but it comes up at least every couple of months. I’ll be sure to clue you in next time!

18 Courtney June 28, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Thank you!!

19 Tara June 28, 2011 at 10:27 am

I have been reading STSL for a few months now and this is my first time to comment. I love your energy and practical application to eating and enjoying life.

I’m one click away from ordering Blizzard Butter. Thanks for the promo code!

If you ever come to Dallas, you’ve got your #1 foodie fan right here!

20 Courtney June 28, 2011 at 11:17 am

Hi Tara! Thanks so much for commenting and letting me know you’re out there ;)
Thanks for reading!! (and I’ll keep that in mind about Dallas)

21 Liz @ IHeartVegetables June 28, 2011 at 10:30 am

Haha ohhh the healthy kind of power hour… not the college drinking kind of power hour ;) hahaha I like yours much better!

22 Courtney June 28, 2011 at 11:15 am

Hahaha, well I like those too ;)

23 Paige @ Running Around Normal June 28, 2011 at 10:36 am

I always buy the Sun Warrior protein powder online ever since they discontinued my beloved Jay Robb brown rice protein powder:(

It’s good to know I’m not the only crazy one who gets up at 5:00 to workout :)

24 Courtney June 28, 2011 at 11:15 am

Nothing better than knowing you have a sweaty workout DONE for the day all before 7am! :)

25 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine June 28, 2011 at 10:43 am

I still haven’t broken into the Blizzard Butter you sent me! I was waiting for a special occasion, but now that all we have open is plain ol’ PB I may have to try it…

26 Sarah June 28, 2011 at 10:47 am

Groceries are so expensive in NYC, so I usually like to buy pretty standard things online, just in bulk. Makes much more sense order bars, coffee, certain nut butters, and what not. On that note, I live about a block from the Peanut Butter & Co shop in NYC…. that’s my FAVORITE destination on planet Earth, so last time I swapped apartments I made sure I was close ;)

27 Grace June 28, 2011 at 11:29 am

I don’t think I’ve ordered food online before but if Trader Joe’s offered that option I’d take them up! I don’t have a lot of local specialties that I use regularly…I do love frequenting the farmers markets though:)

28 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy June 28, 2011 at 11:37 am

You’re so motivated! I’m not sure I would get up at 5am for any workout, especially if I was already sore!

29 Jodi June 28, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Gah, Courtney, you are one motivated fool! How in the world do you stay so committed to working out so hard? When my goal stopped being about “skinny”, it makes it so much easier to justify skipping when I don’t feel good (or just when I don’t feel like it). What’s your secret? I won’t tell….

30 Courtney June 28, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I eat a lot of ice cream…gotta balance it out somehow ;)

31 Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 28, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Good call not doing Body Pump with a sore body..that would have been MISERABLE! Cardio helps flush out your muscles, too so hopefully you’ll be fine tomorrow :)

32 Laura Fredlund June 28, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I really really admire how hard you work out!! I’m proud of myself if I get a mile or two on the treadmill everyday.

33 Courtney June 28, 2011 at 2:12 pm

And you should be proud!! :)

34 Kim June 28, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever ordered food online. In Seattle they have Amazon fresh and they deliver to your house – we are just barely outside the delivery range or I’d be all over that!

As for buying local, we have a ton of little wineries here and one of my favorite summer time activities is going on day trips to different “regions” and sampling wine. At one point we wanted to do all the wineries in the state, but after looking into it we found out there were over 600 and they are more every time I check the website… that’d be quite the wine tasting!

35 OntarioGirl June 29, 2011 at 11:22 am

Weeding gets me every time! You don’t feel like you worked out that hard and then you go to get out of bed the next morning and it’s like “WOW my body hurts a LOT” lol

36 Kristine @ Running On Hungry June 29, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Why is Cody SO CUTE? (And I’m not even a cat lover!)

That breakfast looks amazing. My mom gave ma loaf of her Banana Blueberry bread and I’m definitely crumbling it over my oats next time!

37 kait June 30, 2011 at 7:39 pm

oooooh, i was catching up with reading and waiting for this to happen! i went to a bodycombat too and had the exact same thing happen the next day. except i couldn’t even drive, my arms hurt way too much: turning the steering wheel was almost impossible. wow for working out!