4th of July Recipe Ideas

Would you guys believe that I’m still sore today from Monday’s BodyCombat class?

Seriously. I mean, I’m not complaining; I love knowing that I got such a great workout. But I never thought a 45 minute kickboxing class would leave me sore three days later. Apparently I haven’t been working as many muscles as I thought up in there. Sheesh!

That being said, I was a little nervous about how this morning’s BodyPump class would go, but luckily everything worked out smoothly and it ended up being a great class. I followed things up with an easy 15 minutes on the elliptical before heading back home to shower up and make some breakfast.

I think after writing up last night’s post with my cereal combo bowl, there was really no way of getting around it today. I had to have one!

In the mix:

What’s missing:

• Chia seeds…darn it!

Along with a little iced coffee action…

Always a winning combo. Smile

*****

Going to a BBQ? Here’s some 4th of July Recipe Ideas!

So if your schedule is anything like mine, then you may have some party plans coming up for the holiday weekend. I’m still working on making up my list of what to make, so here are some recipe ideas that I may end up using…and maybe you could, too!

Creamy Fruit & Tortellini Salad

Want to make it festive? Just use the red & blue fruits..strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries!

Healthier Guacamole

You can eat boatloads of this without feeling guilty! (Well, at least I do) Winking smile

Roasted Eggplant & Feta Dip

This recipe is awesome…and I had totally forgotten about it!

And of course…we can’t forget the SWEETS!

Stars & Stripes Sugar Cookie Cake

One of my favorite sugar cookie + frosting combinations…it’s amazing!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups with Almond Buttercream Frosting

Just go ahead and make your frosting red…or blue…or BOTH!

Neapolitan Cupcakes with Ice Cream Frosting

You could always skip the chocolate layer and just dye it blue to make a festive red, white, and blue cupcake!

Soda Cupcakes

Always a hit…and so many flavors to choose from! Just top with your favorite frosting.

Hopefully now you’ve got some ideas in case you didn’t have any before! Winking smile

Questions for the Morning:

Are you doing any cooking/baking this weekend? (You betcha!)

What do you typically like to contribute to parties/bbq’s? (<—Dessert for me!)

Are you “known” to always bring a certain dish? (<—I’m the sweets gal!)

Comments

The sugar cookie cake is a classic!

I make mine in a tart pan, with greek yogurt tinted with a little red food coloring. Yes, the flag aspect is gone (espeically since I include kiwis too), but it’s just so darn cute cut into pizza slices!

Happy 4th!

• Jen says

Sure!! Easy easy!!
        Easy!
        1 package of Oreos
        1 oz package of cream cheese

Ground up the whole package of Oreos in the food processor (I do it in 2 batches) – put into large bowl
        Add in block of cream cheese softened – mix together until all combined (I use my hands – works best)
        Shape into balls on lined cookie sheet – put cookie sheet in the refrigerator or freezer to let harden (1/2 hr freezer or 1 hr refrigerator)

Melt white chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl (30 sec increments until smooth)
        With a spoon, coat the Oreo balls in the melted chocolate and put on cookie sheet (top with sprinkles quickly – the chocolate hardens fast)

Put back in refrigerator to finish hardening – and enjoy!

Since this weekend I will be going to a pool party on Sunday and possibly fireworks, I am not sure that I will need to bring anything…I did want to bring a “go-to” food for the party…but not sure yet! I was thinking something cooked, with veggies…but I am not sure yet…I like that guacamole recipe, I may be nabbing it ;-)

Sadly, no baking for me this weekend, but cooking for sure! I have a potluck BBQ and think i will do a Quinoa & Avocado Salad – my favorite right now! I love to bring dessert to BBQs/potlucks, hmm… maybe I do need to do some baking! Salads are my second choice.
    I am known for my truffles and healthy salads. Too bad chocolate and beach potlucks don’t really mix for this weekend!

I’m known as the “sweets” girl, too… especially cookies and brownies! :)

And I have to ask… can someone please fill me in on the “chia seeds”? I’ve seen them both on your blog and Julie’s “Peanut Butter Fingers” blog. What do they taste like? What are the health benefits? Where do you get them?! I’m fascinated! If you’ve discussed them on your blog before, I apologize… but if so, could you do a girl a favor and send me the link? ;) Thanks so much!!

• Courtney says

Hey Kristen!
      I know I’ve posted about them before but I can’t seem to find it, haha!
      To answer your questions, they don’t really taste like much of anything…I add them more for texture. They’re a great source of Omega-3’s and are really awesome in cereal, smoothies, on top of toast, salads…anything really!
      You can get them at iHerb (which is where I order mine) and if you use the coupon code found in my “Shop” (http://www.sweettoothsweetlife.com/shop/) you can get $5.00 off your first order! (The code is SAZ564!)

Hope that helps! :)

I’m bringing cupcakes to a bachelorette party on Sat night. If you have any good german chocolate recipes, PLEASE share! :) I’m also bringing a 3-bean edamame salad to my friends’ BBQ Sun. I’m know for a certain goodie, but I’ll share what that is a little later. ;)

I always end up bringing wine wherever I go.. that’s not to say I don’t contribute to the food ;) I always bring some crackers and cheese that pair well!

What awesome recipe ideas!! And I hate it too when I forget chia seeds in my smoothies…thankfully today I remembered! Love the crunch it gives ;)

I’m not much of a cook or baker, so I always like to bring a veggie platter with hummus so I at least know there’s a healthy snack option available! And this weekend the boys will do most (all!) of the grilling and cooking ;)

I always make pasta salad – hmm, I should share my recipe, since I created it all on my own! LOL

I also always bake – mostly cupcakes (of course!).

I’ll be making your neapolitan cupcakes this weekend! And my own white sangria concoction!! I’m so excited to try out your recipe!

Unfortunately I’m not going to be doing cooking or bake. I am going to my friend’s lake house in Alabama and her parents do ALL the cooking for 14 of us. I will certainly lend a hand in the kitchen though and whip up what I can when I get there!! I usually bring the sweets too when I’m at my parents house and have all the ingredients to bake (I’m lacking in baking supplies at my apartment!!)

This post has my mouth watering for some holiday, bbq food!!! Can’t wait until this weekend!!

s better to use whole foods made from scratch for good health.

Anyone who dares to make a closer inspection will find the underlying difference.
    Many people don’t have the time to weight themselves every day, but checking the scale on a regular basis can definitely help when you’re working to lose weight and keep it off.
    Shayla recently posted..Shayla