From Market To Table

by Courtney on July 2, 2011

Two thumbs up for the holiday weekend!

Although I actually took the night off from blogging or taking any photos, Jay and I did end up having a nice evening, complete with a glass of wine, some of my favorite pizza, and a few hours hanging out with good friends. Oh yeah, and we finally opened up the pool. WOOO!

This morning, I woke up to the sun shining and immediately thought, “Wow, today is the perfect day for a trip to the Farmers Market.”

So to the Farmers Market I went. And as expected, things were in full swing by the time I got there.

My favorite bread spot, Our Daily Bread.

IMG_5254IMG_5255

The next time I go, I’m totally bringing Jay so we can stop at Nighthawk’s Kitchen. Everything coming away from this stand looked and smelled incredible. Turns out, they only serve at the Market…no restaurant!

This week, I noticed a new vendor, Flour City Pasta. The stand was super crowded while I was there, so since I really don’t need any pasta right now, I figured I’d just wait until next time. But some of the flavors looked pretty serious. Winking smile

I was *this close* to buying myself a bouquet of these flowers…aren’t they beautiful?

Almost as beautiful as these candy apples I came across from Sweet Sues. In case you can’t tell, those are caramel and chocolate covered apples, mounded up high with peanut butter cups and Oreos. Oh.my.lord.

Next time, I’m totally bringing more money with me…

On my way out, I stopped by the Spillin’ the Beans stand for some iced coffee,

and headed home with my goods. I really didn’t need anything today; I just really enjoy the experience of going. But of course, I did leave with a few goodies…

Fresh Basil

A loaf of Whole Wheat bread

AND…Blizzard Butter. Be still my heart.

And since I only snacked on a peach before leaving the house (plus a bunch of samples at the market, ahem) this morning, I made sure to incorporate all of my new goods into a late breakfast. From Market to Table!

I scrambled up some eggs with fresh basil, salt, pepper, and ketchup, which turned out to be some of the best I’ve had in a long time.

Jay will probably fall over when he reads this, but I’m pretty sure it had something to do with the cracked black pepper (usually, I can’t stand the stuff…but I may coming around?)

I also toasted up a piece of my whole wheat bread and topped it with some Blizzard Butter. I also nibbled on both of the heels of the bread + more BB while I was waiting for everything to cook up. Winking smile

It is gorgeous out there today, so as soon as I finish this up, I’m heading outdoors to enjoy the day.

Hope you have a great one!

Questions for the Day:

What are your…

• Favorite ways to eat eggs?
  • Favorite Farmers Market finds?
  • Favorite flowers?

1 Cassie July 2, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I always love farmers market posts–I need to find one by me, which is hard because I live in the most intense suburbs…never seen a farmers market around here :(

2 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) July 2, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Flour City Pasta is in Rochester – I’m surprised they traveled all the way out to you to sell pasta! It is really good though – you should grab some next time.

3 Chad @ thebreakupnote July 2, 2011 at 12:21 pm

ugh *drooooools* must…go…to…market

4 Abby July 2, 2011 at 12:31 pm

What a great looking Farmer’s Market! :) My favorite way to make eggs is scrambled. It is really about the only way I will eat eggs actually. My favorite flowers are lilies and tulips! The Farmer’s Market around here is pretty much just produce. I don’t really eat any of the jams or baked goods because they are made with a lot of refined sugar and my body doesn’t really care for that!

5 Sam July 2, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Courtney – There’s an amazing pesto stand at the Farmer’s Market… I think it’s called Buddah’s Pesto or something like that… it’s sooooo good.

6 Courtney July 2, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Ohhh I know…I had a few samples while I was there ;) I just have a hard time shelling out the money for it…

7 Savannah(Sweet and Savvy) July 2, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Wow!! You have an amazing Farmer’s Market. Those Candy apples… I don’t think I even need words.

But my favorite way to eat eggs is to have them simply scrambled smothered in swiss or american cheese with lots of pepper.

Mixing them up with some Turkey Sasauge crumbles is good every once in a while too.

8 Jess@atasteofconfidence July 2, 2011 at 12:42 pm

This reminded me that I really want to go to my farmer’s market! Thanks:)
My favorite way to eat eggs is sunny side up!

9 Jordan July 2, 2011 at 1:01 pm

ahh i LOVE farmers markets! that bread looks so delicious. thick, dense, grainy wheat bread is my absolute favorite.

10 Amy @ My Life as a Lazy Girl July 2, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I go to a farmers market two nights a week for my favorite shaved ice truck! It’s the best! And I always try to grab fresh bread too. I just like to support local businesses as much as possible in this economy.

11 Courtney July 2, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I’m with ya, Amy! :)

12 Lindsey July 2, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Right now I am on a hard boiled egg kick. At our local market there are freshly made liege waffles, they are my favorite! But I like all the fresh veggies and fruit there too – buying local is the best :) Hydrangeas are my favorite flower!

13 Courtney July 2, 2011 at 2:05 pm

liege waffles?? I’ve never heard of them? What is it? :)

14 Lindsey July 2, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Its a sweet waffle,you can eat them plain and I think they are the perfect amount of sweetness. The franchise we have js called wannawafel.

15 Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 2, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I like fried eggs though hard-boiled is good too. But my favourite way to have them is in a baked treat :)

16 Jen M. July 2, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I like my eggs either scrambled or over-medium to dip toast in the runny yolks!!

We have farmers markets all over the place out here, Portland is a huge hippie/organic/locally grown place. I usually feel like the veggies are all overpriced though, a shame. I like scoring deals! I live like a 10 minute drive away from “the country” and there is a farm that sells goods at a stand, and THEY have great prices on seasonal veggies all year long. But at the rest of the farmers markets, I love buying local honey (great for warding off allergies!!), and local berries. Fresh berries are overpriced in the grocery store too, so I don’t mind shelling out the cash for them at the markets!

My favorite flowers are calla lilies, peonies, and hydrangeas!

17 Courtney July 2, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I agree…sometimes the produce is a bit pricey… :(

18 Sarah July 2, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Ohh yummmm to those apples!
Favorite ways to eat eggs? Definitely poached!
Favorite Farmers Market finds? Cheeeeeses
Favorite flowers? Gerber daisies :)

19 Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 2, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Wow, GLORIOUS farmer’s market! We don’t have markets like that here. We have ones open all year long as markets with fresher produce than the supermarket..but nothing that actually gives you the feeling of going to a farmer’s market and having so much amazing, and sometimes unique produce like that!

20 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 2, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I love scrambled eggs with just a little salt and pepper. Also, if you mix in OJ before your start cooking, they taste delish! I think my favorite flowers are gerbera daisies…they are so pretty and I love all the colors :).

21 Courtney July 2, 2011 at 2:04 pm

OJ? Really?!?

22 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 2, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Haha yep, just a little though (probably like a splash if you were just making eggs for yourself). The first time I had it my uncle made them and I was really unsure, but they tasted super good :).

23 suki July 2, 2011 at 2:11 pm

loooove poached eggs. ;) but i totally dig the eggs + ketchup when they’re scrambled. i just love the farmers’ market for the seasonal produce. you know that it just came from the farm and wasn’t sitting in a truck for days.

24 Keely (Sky Blue) July 2, 2011 at 2:13 pm

This made me miss the Farmer’s Market!! I absolutely love going it’s always so much fun and I just love the unique things. Especially the crafts like jewelry and knitting and soaps. It’s fun to see the beautiful, creative things local people make!

25 Khushboo July 2, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Wow everything looks SO fresh and delicious! What exactly is Blizzard Butter?? Looks fab! Favorite eggs are def sunny side up, the runnier the yolks the better!

26 Courtney July 2, 2011 at 3:46 pm

White chocolate peanut butter :)

27 Carey @ Positively Blonde July 2, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I love farmer’s market and I often visit the one in Union Square even though it is quite a jaunt for me. Those apples look amazing, I can honestly say I could less about the apple and would have one strictly for the toppings!!

28 Julia July 2, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I love farmer’s markets. They’re always so cheery and it puts me in such a good mood. Plus generous free samples are always appreciated. When I was little, my favorite stand was one that sold hundreds of different homemade soaps. They were really pretty, smelled amazing, and I would beg my mom to buy them.

29 erica July 2, 2011 at 4:04 pm

eggs: scrambled, soft boiled, or in egg salad. :)
farmers market: can you believe i’ve never been to one?
flowers: peonies, tulips, rannuculus

30 Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers July 2, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I love going to farmer’s markets! I just went to one last night that I’d never been to before, and I think it may be my new favorite. So much good food! Those candied apples that you saw at yours look so good! You’ll definitely have to get one of those next time. :)

31 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Ketchup and eggs makes me feel like I’m 6 again….. (your picture is awesome of this!) Now I’m inspired.
I love colorful flowers! ANY colorful flowers!

32 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 2, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Eggs: scrambled with ketchup or in an omelet with cheese, veggies, and maybe some ham or sausage. Yum!! :)

33 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 2, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I’ve been obsessed with scrambled eggs lately.

Today at the market I got: peaches, organic blueberries, lettuce, cucumber, and zucchini – mmm!

34 Emily @ Relishments July 3, 2011 at 7:48 am

I am so jealous of that farmer’s market! Maybe I’ll make it out your way to enjoy it at some point this summer!

35 Kate July 5, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I’m catching up on all my blog reading and noticed that you mentioned Flour City Pasta – I usually go to the Schenectady Greenmarket and they have been there since the beginning of the summer. Their pasta is AMAZING! and it comes in so many unusual flavors. I highly recommend it!

36 Courtney July 5, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Ooooo great! Good to know…thanks, Kate! :)

37 Lee @ Fit Foodie Finds July 7, 2011 at 5:47 am

Those caramel apples look deadly. SO GOOD.

1. Eggs: I’d have to go with frittata style.
2. Farmers Market: SALSA! I love homemade salsa :)
3. Flowers: Tulips.