From Market To Table

Two thumbs up for the holiday weekend!

Although I actually took the night off from blogging or taking any photos, Jay and I did end up having a nice evening, complete with a glass of wine, some of my favorite pizza, and a few hours hanging out with good friends. Oh yeah, and we finally opened up the pool. WOOO!

This morning, I woke up to the sun shining and immediately thought, “Wow, today is the perfect day for a trip to the Farmers Market.”

So to the Farmers Market I went. And as expected, things were in full swing by the time I got there.

My favorite bread spot, Our Daily Bread.

IMG_5254IMG_5255

The next time I go, I’m totally bringing Jay so we can stop at Nighthawk’s Kitchen. Everything coming away from this stand looked and smelled incredible. Turns out, they only serve at the Market…no restaurant!

This week, I noticed a new vendor, Flour City Pasta. The stand was super crowded while I was there, so since I really don’t need any pasta right now, I figured I’d just wait until next time. But some of the flavors looked pretty serious. Winking smile

I was *this close* to buying myself a bouquet of these flowers…aren’t they beautiful?

Almost as beautiful as these candy apples I came across from Sweet Sues. In case you can’t tell, those are caramel and chocolate covered apples, mounded up high with peanut butter cups and Oreos. Oh.my.lord.

Next time, I’m totally bringing more money with me…

On my way out, I stopped by the Spillin’ the Beans stand for some iced coffee,

and headed home with my goods. I really didn’t need anything today; I just really enjoy the experience of going. But of course, I did leave with a few goodies…

Fresh Basil

A loaf of Whole Wheat bread

AND…Blizzard Butter. Be still my heart.

And since I only snacked on a peach before leaving the house (plus a bunch of samples at the market, ahem) this morning, I made sure to incorporate all of my new goods into a late breakfast. From Market to Table!

I scrambled up some eggs with fresh basil, salt, pepper, and ketchup, which turned out to be some of the best I’ve had in a long time.

Jay will probably fall over when he reads this, but I’m pretty sure it had something to do with the cracked black pepper (usually, I can’t stand the stuff…but I may coming around?)

I also toasted up a piece of my whole wheat bread and topped it with some Blizzard Butter. I also nibbled on both of the heels of the bread + more BB while I was waiting for everything to cook up. Winking smile

It is gorgeous out there today, so as soon as I finish this up, I’m heading outdoors to enjoy the day.

Hope you have a great one!

Questions for the Day:

What are your…

• Favorite ways to eat eggs?
  • Favorite Farmers Market finds?
  • Favorite flowers?

Comments

I always love farmers market posts–I need to find one by me, which is hard because I live in the most intense suburbs…never seen a farmers market around here :(

What a great looking Farmer’s Market! :) My favorite way to make eggs is scrambled. It is really about the only way I will eat eggs actually. My favorite flowers are lilies and tulips! The Farmer’s Market around here is pretty much just produce. I don’t really eat any of the jams or baked goods because they are made with a lot of refined sugar and my body doesn’t really care for that!

3. Sam says

Courtney – There’s an amazing pesto stand at the Farmer’s Market… I think it’s called Buddah’s Pesto or something like that… it’s sooooo good.

• Courtney says

Ohhh I know…I had a few samples while I was there 😉 I just have a hard time shelling out the money for it…

Wow!! You have an amazing Farmer’s Market. Those Candy apples… I don’t think I even need words.

But my favorite way to eat eggs is to have them simply scrambled smothered in swiss or american cheese with lots of pepper.

Mixing them up with some Turkey Sasauge crumbles is good every once in a while too.

Right now I am on a hard boiled egg kick. At our local market there are freshly made liege waffles, they are my favorite! But I like all the fresh veggies and fruit there too – buying local is the best :) Hydrangeas are my favorite flower!

6. Jen M. says

I like my eggs either scrambled or over-medium to dip toast in the runny yolks!!

We have farmers markets all over the place out here, Portland is a huge hippie/organic/locally grown place. I usually feel like the veggies are all overpriced though, a shame. I like scoring deals! I live like a 10 minute drive away from “the country” and there is a farm that sells goods at a stand, and THEY have great prices on seasonal veggies all year long. But at the rest of the farmers markets, I love buying local honey (great for warding off allergies!!), and local berries. Fresh berries are overpriced in the grocery store too, so I don’t mind shelling out the cash for them at the markets!

My favorite flowers are calla lilies, peonies, and hydrangeas!

Ohh yummmm to those apples!
    Favorite ways to eat eggs? Definitely poached!
    Favorite Farmers Market finds? Cheeeeeses
    Favorite flowers? Gerber daisies :)

Wow, GLORIOUS farmer’s market! We don’t have markets like that here. We have ones open all year long as markets with fresher produce than the supermarket..but nothing that actually gives you the feeling of going to a farmer’s market and having so much amazing, and sometimes unique produce like that!

loooove poached eggs. 😉 but i totally dig the eggs + ketchup when they’re scrambled. i just love the farmers’ market for the seasonal produce. you know that it just came from the farm and wasn’t sitting in a truck for days.

This made me miss the Farmer’s Market!! I absolutely love going it’s always so much fun and I just love the unique things. Especially the crafts like jewelry and knitting and soaps. It’s fun to see the beautiful, creative things local people make!

Wow everything looks SO fresh and delicious! What exactly is Blizzard Butter?? Looks fab! Favorite eggs are def sunny side up, the runnier the yolks the better!

I love farmer’s market and I often visit the one in Union Square even though it is quite a jaunt for me. Those apples look amazing, I can honestly say I could less about the apple and would have one strictly for the toppings!!

I love farmer’s markets. They’re always so cheery and it puts me in such a good mood. Plus generous free samples are always appreciated. When I was little, my favorite stand was one that sold hundreds of different homemade soaps. They were really pretty, smelled amazing, and I would beg my mom to buy them.

eggs: scrambled, soft boiled, or in egg salad. :)
    farmers market: can you believe i’ve never been to one?
    flowers: peonies, tulips, rannuculus

I love going to farmer’s markets! I just went to one last night that I’d never been to before, and I think it may be my new favorite. So much good food! Those candied apples that you saw at yours look so good! You’ll definitely have to get one of those next time. :)

I’m catching up on all my blog reading and noticed that you mentioned Flour City Pasta – I usually go to the Schenectady Greenmarket and they have been there since the beginning of the summer. Their pasta is AMAZING! and it comes in so many unusual flavors. I highly recommend it!

Trackbacks