Making Use of Slim Pickins

It’s really slim pickins in our kitchen…

Since we’re leaving late tomorrow evening for our trip to Virginia Beach, Jay and I have been trying to do our best to clean out the fridge and the kitchen of anything that could go bad while we’re away.

I also skipped on the grocery shopping this week (besides picking up the essentials…bananas, almond milk, and coffee) so our choices are really starting to run out.

Luckily, I noticed that we still had the ingredients necessary to make some last minute pizzas, so that’s what I rolled with tonight.

I started by using some Arnold Artisan Ovens Flatbreads as the base of our pizzas. These flatbreads really are so versatile; if you can find ‘em in your store, I’d definitely recommend giving them a try!

Next, I topped our “pizzas” with some Grandpa Pete’s Garlic Sauce, red peppers, onions, freshly shredded mozzarella cheese, and popped ‘em in the oven under the broiler until the cheese started to bubble.

I also added some fresh basil immediately after taking them out of the oven.

And since I still have a bunch of zucchini leftover, I also added some chopped slices to my pizza. I’ll tell ya, this stuff works with just about anything!

It’s also pretty good as a side dish, too.

Considering that I was all set to just pour myself a bowl of cereal and call it a night, I must say that I am quite happy that Jay decided to whine and complain in full force when I initially told him that dinner was “whatever he could find.”

Boy, sometimes he can really make me laugh.

Hey, I can only be super-awesome wife so often. Winking smile

But one of those times will, in fact, be right now, as I’m headed out the door to cheer him on at his softball game…when I really should be packing. Ughhh, looks like I’ll be a Last-Minute-Mary again. (One of these days I’ll figure out why I do this to myself!)

Question for the Evening:

What’s your favorite go-to dinner when you really don’t feel like cooking?

Those pizzas look great! I’ve been running around the past couple days and have eaten protein smoothies and peanut butter sandwhiches for the past two nights! haha.

But my favorite go to “real” dinner is some kind of frozen veggie burger with lots of raw veggies.

Those flatbreads are so. good. Slim pickin’s before leaving are sometimes fun, cause you get to get suuuper creative! Text me when you know about your arrival time and we can plan lunch, talk to you soon giiirl!

haha Jay’s response reminds me of the Husband’s so much. He seriously looks at me like I have 2 heads when I don’t cook – umm hello! You have two hands and a brain to read a recipe as well my dear. Although he is really busy right now, I think I am going above and beyond the wifely duties next week by preparing him meals to eat while I’m gone. Otherwise, the man would seriously eat cookies for all meals.

• says

I just posted a similar comment about my boyfriend before reading yours. My boyfriend would be perfectly content eating cookies and milk, or a handful of m&ms and almonds for every meal. I don’t understand how he doesn’t feel gross when he does that! I always wonder if we were married and living together, could I make him eat better? haha

I like to keep hard boiled eggs in the refrigerator for last minute egg salad. If there are no eggs to be seen – breakfast for dinner it is! A yogurt bowl will never disappoint no matter what time of day.

Haha, now that my sisters and I are older, but still living at home at the moment, nearly every night at our house is “whatever we can find.” I wonder if we would handle it differently if we were boys. When my boyfriend doesn’t have anything to eat at home, he settles for a handful of almonds and a few oreos, or he comes over to my house to eat, haha.

Great question! If it’s just me, a big bowl of oatmeal. :) If my husband is home, chicken breasts that I cover in Italian breadcrumbs and cook in olive oil until nice and brown. I put them with lots of stuff… brown rice and veggies, whole wheat pasta and tomato sauce, etc. Quick and easy!

This looks so yummy!
    I wanted to make myself a pizza that I saw in Shape magazine, but I opted for pasta instead, since pizza takes a tad more time. They don’t sell flatbread here, so I usually use wholegrain pita’s but my family doesn’t eat them , so pasta it was.

We can’t get that brand of flatbreads in Texas, but I’ll search for something similar to make that yummy looking pizza!

My go to dinner is spinach salad with strawberries, toasted walnuts, goat cheese crumbles, EVOO and balsamic!

Yum!! It seems like alot of bloggers are going on a vacation this week! we are doing the same thing, “eat what you can find”.. haha! Your Pizza looks SO good! I love zuchinni!!
    My go to dinner is grilled chicken veggies and sweet potatoes. example. thats what we had tonight.. haha! the usual.

When I don’t feel like cooking, I usually make omelets, salad with tempeh, or tomato, avocado, and basil sandwiches (BLTs for the hubby though). They are all so easy! It looks like your dinner came out really well. :)