Making Use of Slim Pickins

by Courtney on July 7, 2011

It’s really slim pickins in our kitchen…

Since we’re leaving late tomorrow evening for our trip to Virginia Beach, Jay and I have been trying to do our best to clean out the fridge and the kitchen of anything that could go bad while we’re away.

I also skipped on the grocery shopping this week (besides picking up the essentials…bananas, almond milk, and coffee) so our choices are really starting to run out.

Luckily, I noticed that we still had the ingredients necessary to make some last minute pizzas, so that’s what I rolled with tonight.

I started by using some Arnold Artisan Ovens Flatbreads as the base of our pizzas. These flatbreads really are so versatile; if you can find ‘em in your store, I’d definitely recommend giving them a try!

Next, I topped our “pizzas” with some Grandpa Pete’s Garlic Sauce, red peppers, onions, freshly shredded mozzarella cheese, and popped ‘em in the oven under the broiler until the cheese started to bubble.

I also added some fresh basil immediately after taking them out of the oven.

And since I still have a bunch of zucchini leftover, I also added some chopped slices to my pizza. I’ll tell ya, this stuff works with just about anything!

It’s also pretty good as a side dish, too.

Considering that I was all set to just pour myself a bowl of cereal and call it a night, I must say that I am quite happy that Jay decided to whine and complain in full force when I initially told him that dinner was “whatever he could find.”

Boy, sometimes he can really make me laugh.

Hey, I can only be super-awesome wife so often. Winking smile

But one of those times will, in fact, be right now, as I’m headed out the door to cheer him on at his softball game…when I really should be packing. Ughhh, looks like I’ll be a Last-Minute-Mary again. (One of these days I’ll figure out why I do this to myself!)

Question for the Evening:

What’s your favorite go-to dinner when you really don’t feel like cooking?

1 Sweet and Savvy July 7, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Those pizzas look great! I’ve been running around the past couple days and have eaten protein smoothies and peanut butter sandwhiches for the past two nights! haha.

But my favorite go to “real” dinner is some kind of frozen veggie burger with lots of raw veggies.

2 Corey @ Family Fresh Meals July 7, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I love making little bites….. like some olives, little bit of cheese, some crackers, prosciutto, any veggies I have laying around. My kids love it too :) We actually did one of those dinners last night :)

3 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 7, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Salad…. Except the husband has to do his own thing when I do this…… A salad is NOT a meal in his books.

4 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 7, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Those flatbreads are so. good. Slim pickin’s before leaving are sometimes fun, cause you get to get suuuper creative! Text me when you know about your arrival time and we can plan lunch, talk to you soon giiirl!

5 Erica July 7, 2011 at 7:52 pm

smoothies :) i had one for dinner yesterday ;p

6 Cait @ Urban Fencepost July 7, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Waffles. I usually have some pre-made waffle batter in the freezer, so all that needs to be done is thaw and cook.

7 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 7, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Either pasta or pizza… both are pretty simple!

8 April @ Motor City Runner July 7, 2011 at 8:06 pm

This isn’t healthy in any way, shape, or form, but my go to is pizza rolls. 1 minute in the micro and im good to go. Luckily my husband loves them too. :)

9 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 7, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I tend to make sandwiches when I’m not in the mood to cook something!

10 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 7, 2011 at 8:13 pm

haha Jay’s response reminds me of the Husband’s so much. He seriously looks at me like I have 2 heads when I don’t cook – umm hello! You have two hands and a brain to read a recipe as well my dear. Although he is really busy right now, I think I am going above and beyond the wifely duties next week by preparing him meals to eat while I’m gone. Otherwise, the man would seriously eat cookies for all meals.

11 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy July 7, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I just posted a similar comment about my boyfriend before reading yours. My boyfriend would be perfectly content eating cookies and milk, or a handful of m&ms and almonds for every meal. I don’t understand how he doesn’t feel gross when he does that! I always wonder if we were married and living together, could I make him eat better? haha

12 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 7, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Good luck. I tried at first, but now I just control his lunches and dinners since that’s what I make for him. It’s hard to get a boy to change his eating ways! :)

13 Presley (Run Pretty) July 7, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I love his response! My husband seriously looks panic-stricken if I don’t have something planned for dinner… How would they survive without us?!

14 Kayla @ Sprouty Buns July 7, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I like to keep hard boiled eggs in the refrigerator for last minute egg salad. If there are no eggs to be seen – breakfast for dinner it is! A yogurt bowl will never disappoint no matter what time of day.

15 Laura @ Cookies vs. Carrots July 7, 2011 at 8:40 pm

My favorite dinner when I don’t feel like cooking generally includes going out to eat, hehe! However, soup is always a go-to for me if I really don’t feel like prepping anything.

16 Jessica @ The Process of Healing July 7, 2011 at 8:46 pm

YUM! I want those flat breads!!!
I’m leaving for the beach Sunday night and I have a feeling it’ll be Sunday before I begin packing. Such is the life of a procrastinator ;)

17 Nicole July 7, 2011 at 8:49 pm

My go to dinner is eggs. I have them an embarrassing amount of times per week lately…like tonight. have fun on your trip!

18 Lauren July 7, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I’m a vegan, but that looks AMAZING!

19 Chocolate, Cheese and Wine July 7, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Oatmeal of course!

20 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 7, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Those pizzas look pretty epic for a last minute meal!

21 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy July 7, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Haha, now that my sisters and I are older, but still living at home at the moment, nearly every night at our house is “whatever we can find.” I wonder if we would handle it differently if we were boys. When my boyfriend doesn’t have anything to eat at home, he settles for a handful of almonds and a few oreos, or he comes over to my house to eat, haha.

22 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Great question! If it’s just me, a big bowl of oatmeal. :) If my husband is home, chicken breasts that I cover in Italian breadcrumbs and cook in olive oil until nice and brown. I put them with lots of stuff… brown rice and veggies, whole wheat pasta and tomato sauce, etc. Quick and easy!

23 Tamyr July 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm

This looks so yummy!
I wanted to make myself a pizza that I saw in Shape magazine, but I opted for pasta instead, since pizza takes a tad more time. They don’t sell flatbread here, so I usually use wholegrain pita’s but my family doesn’t eat them , so pasta it was.

24 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 7, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Outside of frozen TJ’s meals, mine is probably pizza or some sort of panini. Panini’s are “fancy” enough to make it feel like you kinda cooked something vs. a normal sandwich :)

25 Lindsey July 7, 2011 at 11:21 pm

BLT sandwiches made with turkey bacon and hummus! Or Tuna sandwiches with hummus.
Have a great trip!

26 Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries July 7, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Yummm I gotta find those flat breads!

27 Khushboo July 7, 2011 at 11:41 pm

When I can’t feel like thinking, eggs with some grilled veggies are my go to! That or oatmeal with the works!

28 tara @ the pleased plate July 8, 2011 at 12:36 am

We can’t get that brand of flatbreads in Texas, but I’ll search for something similar to make that yummy looking pizza!

My go to dinner is spinach salad with strawberries, toasted walnuts, goat cheese crumbles, EVOO and balsamic!

29 Candice July 8, 2011 at 12:55 am

Yum!! It seems like alot of bloggers are going on a vacation this week! we are doing the same thing, “eat what you can find”.. haha! Your Pizza looks SO good! I love zuchinni!!
My go to dinner is grilled chicken veggies and sweet potatoes. example. thats what we had tonight.. haha! the usual.

30 Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 8, 2011 at 3:47 am

Looks good! If I’m feeling lazy I usually make toasted sandwiches or a very simple pasta dish. If I’m on my own I just make oatmeal :)

31 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" July 8, 2011 at 5:09 am

That is a pretty good meal for just throwin’ something together! My go-to meal when I don’t feel like cooking is a giant Kitchen Sink Salad. Sometimes I get pretty creative with the toppings, depending upon what’s in my kitchen :-)

32 Erin @ The Grass Skirt July 8, 2011 at 8:14 am

When I don’t feel like cooking, I usually make omelets, salad with tempeh, or tomato, avocado, and basil sandwiches (BLTs for the hubby though). They are all so easy! It looks like your dinner came out really well. :)

33 Kelly July 8, 2011 at 8:42 am

When I don’t feel like cooking I usually opt for cereal…haha…see literally NO COOKING! ha!

34 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats July 8, 2011 at 11:55 am

My favorite go to is either a tortilla pizza or a sandwich thin with chunky pb, banana, and cinnamon!