Guest Post: Bamango Muffins

by Courtney on July 10, 2011

Today’s guest post is sure to make your mouth water! Liz and I share a similar affection for all things sweet, so when I asked if she’d like to share a fun recipe while I was away, I knew she’d reciprocate with something yummy…and did she ever. For your sake, I hope you have some ripe bananas on hand. Enjoy!

*****

Hey, STSL readers! I’m Liz and I blog over at BlogistheNewBlack! Recently, I reached out to a few of my favorite bloggers asking if they’d help me out by writing guest posts for me while I doveheadfirst into the start of weddingseason. Courtney was kind enough to share her ChocolateSurpriseCookies with my readers.

When I first started blogging myself, Courtney’s blog was one of the first I read. I love her blog (and her!) because although she is always “healthifying” her meals and desserts, she’s not ashamed to dabble in the real thing now and then. I love her healthy recipes as much as her indulgent ones! Her healthy living philosophy is certainly one to admire!

(Insert from Courtney: “Thanks, Liz!!”)

When Courtney asked if I’d reciprocate the favor and write a guest post for STSL, I responded with an enthusiastic YES! I am flattered to be here. I decided to share what I’ve dubbed “Bamango Muffins” because I know that Courtney loves her muffins!

These treats are packed with good for you fruits and tropical tastes, which are perfect to kick off the official start of summer! They are easy to whip up and are best enjoyed at breakfast, heated with a dollop of butter or smear of jam. They are also a great snack to satisfy your sweet tooth!

Bamango Muffins

(Slightly adapted from Eat, Live, Run, yields about a dozen muffins)

Ingredients:

• 1 ripe mango, peeled and pureed in blender
  • 2 bananas, mashed
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened dried coconut
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • additional sugar for sprinkling
  • dried mango

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and coconut in a bowl.

3. In another bowl, combine banana, mango puree, eggs and canola oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. (This makes a heavy, thick batter.)

4. Fill muffin pans about 3/4th full. Sprinkle additional sugar on top. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

mm

Thanks so much, Liz! I know I could definitely use a batch of these just about now!

Question for the Afternoon:

What’s the BEST muffin you’ve ever had?

1 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 10, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Best muffin? You want me to pick one?!? Probably the one I had when I was the hungriest, haha! Apple cinnamon muffins just might take the cake for me, though.

2 Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 10, 2011 at 12:13 pm

So many muffins, so hard to choose…I love fruity ones like apple cinnamon or blueberry but I love chocolate too!

3 Gigi July 10, 2011 at 12:56 pm

These look so good! Can’t wait to try them:) Best muffin for me is anything coming hot out of the oven with bananas in it!;)

4 Jen M. July 10, 2011 at 1:08 pm

These sound so fun for summer! And would probably be great for a summer bridal or baby shower brunch! My fave muffin right now is the one I nabbed from my mom yesterday – she made a batch of her buttermilk blueberry bran muffins, which are honestly AMAZING! The buttermilk makes them sooooo yummy, but you’re still getting bran and LOTS of fresh blueberries, so I consider them good for you, haha!

5 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 10, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Oh yum yum yum! Those look really good :). My boy’s mom makes the best muffins…and they are always super healthy- but they don’t taste like it..I’m hoping to make them soon and post a recipe!

6 Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries July 10, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Banana and mango?! 2 of the best flavors ever :) Best muffin I ever ate was a carrot cake muffin from Malibu Kitchen. It was right next to my undergrad university, and I would pop over ALL the time for their muffins and cookies

7 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 10, 2011 at 1:20 pm

The best muffin would have to be anything with pumpkin in it :) I absolutely LOVE anything pumpkin!

8 Cait @ Cait hates Cake July 10, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Those sound delicious and perfect for summer. My favorite muffins are either blueberry or almond poppy seed.

9 tara @ the pleased plate July 10, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I have had this amazing muffin from Central Market here in Dallas — balsamic strawberry with goat cheese. Sweet and savory, yum!

10 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 10, 2011 at 2:40 pm

The name of those muffins is the best part! I just made coconut, blueberry, raspberry muffins for 4th of July that were probably the best I’ve ever had ;)

11 Blog is the New Black July 10, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Glad you liked the way I renamed them! ;)

12 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) July 10, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Oooh, love the idea of combining banana and mango in a muffin! I can’t get enough of either of those fruits lately.

Best muffin ever – definitely my mom’s pumpkin muffins. No frilly crumb tops, just straight up the best, moist pumpkin muffin ever. Is it November yet? ;)

13 Nadya July 10, 2011 at 5:14 pm

the best muffin would have to be your “oatmeal banana raisin muffins” with added chocolate chips in it ;) just loooove chocolate… :)

14 Lindsey July 10, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I love peanut butter and banana muffins!

15 Bella July 10, 2011 at 7:05 pm

The peanut butter Banana Muffins I make with applesauce. MMMMMM. So good!

16 Audrey July 11, 2011 at 12:58 am

In downtown Sacramento, there is this restaurant called Crepeville that is always packed and for good reason. Their crepes are out-of-this-world good, but they also have amazing muffins. The best I’ve ever had are their strawberry dark chocolate muffins!!!! Seriously look them up!

17 Lori @ RecipeGirl July 11, 2011 at 9:46 am

Great flavor combo w/ the banana, mango and coconut! Best muffin I’ve ever had… probably strawberry… or apple cinnamon.

18 Diana July 11, 2011 at 11:59 am

OMG those look delicious but more importantly….where did you get those muffin wrappers??? They are so cute, I almost wouldn’t want to eat the muffin for fear of messing them up and would be perfectly content to just have them on my kitchen table as decor. LOVE them!!

19 Happy When Not Hungry July 11, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Great guest post Liz! Love the banana and mango combo!