Guest Post: Pump It Up With Plyometrics

by Courtney on July 13, 2011

Okay guys. Get ready for some serious workout moves today, because today’s guest post is FULL of ‘em. Tina, who seriously is just as, if not MORE amazing in person as she is on her blog, is sharing some kick-butt workout moves.

These moves are not for the weak. Oh no. Today we’re talking plyometrics; you know, all those moves that get your heart pumpin’ and you’re body sweating like a beast? Yeah, those. Tina not only shares some of her favorite plyometric moves, but she’s also provided some awesome, step-by-step photos so you know exactly what you’re doing. I’m seriously thinking about knockin’ out these moves on the boardwalk today. Hopefully, you’ll give ‘em a try too. Take it away, Tina!

*****

Hi Sweet Tooth Sweet Life readers! My name is Tina, the face behind Faith Fitness Funa blog telling it like it is on a wide variety of topics and making the most of this little thing we call life. You can find me falling more in love with running every day; working towards my Body After Baby progress goals; sharing crazy stories about my life; and striving to produce a motivational and fun community for us blog lovers.

tina headshot

As Courtney is one of my dearest “blends”, I happily offered to help her out. When she recommended I share a workout post, I knew just the thing. Are you ready to add a little pep to your fitness? Hop on board. Quite literally!

Plyometrics: Favorite Moves & Why I Love Them

Plyometrics sounds super fancy, but basically it means jumping around like a crazy person. Why would you want to jump around like a crazy person? Well, I love plyometric training for quite a few reasons:

• they get my heart rate going to add a cardiovascular component to my strength workouts – and thus burn more calories
  • they never fail to make my workout more challenging – you have to push out of the comfort zone to see results after all!
  • the powerful movements strengthen my body to help improve performance in activities like running
  • they make a fun addition to strength training – who doesn’t like to skip and hop?
  • they use bodyweight and are extremely versatile

Good stuff, huh? And I’m here to show you some of my favorite plyometric exercises so you can get jumping as well.

Burpees

burpees

I love to hate these little suckers. They work so good! Start standing. Bend down, placing your hands on the ground beneath your shoulders. Pop your feet out behind you to get in a push-up position. Jump your feet back in and jump straight upward. Repeat.

Bench Jumps

bench jump

Stand in front of a sturdy bench, step, or training box that is about 2 feet off the ground. Jump up as high as you can and land softly on the bench. Step back down and repeat.

Speed Skaters

speed skaters

Jump to your right, landing on your right foot and stretching your left arm across your body. Quickly transition to the other side, jumping to your left foot and crossing the right arm across the body. Consistently switch back and forth until finished with the reps.

Squat Jumps

jump squat

Start in a squat position with your butt back, back straight, and knees over the ankles. Jump straight up as high as you can, then land softly lowering back down to a squat. Repeat continuously for reps.

Pop Lunges

pop lunge

Start in a lunge position. Jump up, switching legs in the air, and land softly lowering down into a lunge on the alternate leg. Continue jumping and alternating sides for reps.

Tuck Jumps

tuck jump

Jump up as high as you can, either tucking your knees back (kicking your butt) or pulling them up in front of you towards your chest. Continue for reps.

Power Kicks

power kick

Pull your right knee up towards your chest. Driving down with your right leg, jump and kick forward with your left foot. Repeat on the same leg for reps, then switch sides.

Plie Jacks

plie jack

Start in a low plie squat. Hop up as high as you can and click your heels in together at the center. Land back in a plie squat. Repeat for reps.

Ski Jumps

ski hop

Stand with both feet together and a slight bend in the knees. Jump as far as you can to one side, landing softly with knees slightly bent and feet still together. Hop back to start and repeat for reps.

Mountain Climbers

mountain climbers

These aren’t technically a plyometric move, but I still love them. Position yourself in a straight arm plank position with arms straight and hands directly below the shoulders. Keep your back, hips, neck in alignment. Alternating sides, bring your knees up towards your chest in a quick and continuous motion.

There you have it! Ten of my favorite drills!

Which one will you try first? Winking smile

1 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 13, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Wow… I’m tired just from reading that! :P I think I’ll need to go back and re-read when I’m feeling more motivated haha! But thank you so much for the ideas!

2 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life July 13, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I love your blog. These moves look challenging but awesome. I’m so jealous of your post baby tranformation, you are a great inspiration to mommies!

3 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun July 13, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Aw, thanks!

4 Vanessa @ Sweaty in Pink July 13, 2011 at 12:39 pm

After reading about burpees so very often, I think it’s finally time to give them a try!

5 Sam July 13, 2011 at 12:50 pm

The Insanity program has a couple workouts dedicated to plyometrics.

6 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun July 13, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I would love to try Insanity someday!

7 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm

These are tough ones! They kind of remind me of 30 day shred on steroids!

8 Katie July 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I agree… plyos rule! If anyone has access to take a Les Mills BodyAttack class, it has at least a few of these moves every class. It is my absolute favorite! :)

9 Lee @ in the pink of condition July 13, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I love Tina, and she looks AWESOME! I think burpees are killerrrr….I haven’t done them since soccer in high school, but maybe I should start doing them again!

10 Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes July 13, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Phew! Looks hard core!

11 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat July 13, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I love plyo moves to really change up a workout routine – great post!

12 Mac July 13, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Good pick on Tina for a guest post! Tina- I love to hate burpees as well! I just tested a guy the other day for hockey jr. college and he did 60 burpees in 2 minutes! How intense is that!

13 Paige @ Running Around Normal July 13, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Great post, Tina. I do plyo’s when I do tabata workouts all the time! I love the looks I get from people while doing them too ;)

14 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 13, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Yay for plyos :). Tina you look awesome doing them!

15 Khushboo July 13, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Love this post as i am gym-less for the next 2 weeks so it’s all about runs in the park for cardio and polyhedrons/resistant bands for strength training. Thanks Tina!

16 Ruthie Hart July 13, 2011 at 3:00 pm

thank you for this! sometimes I want a quick workout at home but still hard!

17 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 13, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I am all about those moves! I think I just might incorporate them into a workout this week!

18 Megan (Braise The Roof) July 13, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Those are some of my favorites, too. Great post, Tina! If you like all of those, you should look into the Insanity program. He does almost all of those moves!

19 Jessie July 13, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Love these types of workouts! Sometime a treadmill gets do boring but this is perfect to switch it up! Thank you!

20 Brittany @ Ittybitsofbalance July 13, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Awesome! I’ve always wanted to try plyometrics! Thanks for the informative post :D

21 Shayla @ The Good Life July 13, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Awesome moves and love Tina! :)

22 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 13, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Plie jacks are so hardcore! Love ‘em. Power kicks are taking me back to my Tae Bo days. Hehe :)

23 Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts July 13, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Great post! I learned to love (and hate) Plyometrics through doing the Insanity 60 Day Challenge. Love them because they WORK. I feel stronger and more fit. Hate them because they can be hard at times. But again, they WORK!

24 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean July 13, 2011 at 11:01 pm

great ideas! now i just need to make myself do them :)

25 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers July 14, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Those would definitely get my sweating! I hate pop lunges – so hard!

26 Hilary July 14, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Great post…I am SO with you on burpees…love to hate them too!

27 Amy July 17, 2011 at 3:07 am

These moves look great and challenging. I’ll definitely be pulling out some plyometrics when my workouts move outside in the summertime!

28 best soccer training net February 20, 2013 at 12:18 am

I like the helpful information you supply in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and test again right here regularly. I am fairly sure I’ll be told many new stuff right here! Good luck for the following!