One Last Tradition To Do

by Courtney on July 15, 2011

Last night, on our last evening here, the four of us headed out for one last stop on our Wildwood tradition list…the Boardwalk.

As usual, things were hustlin’ and bustlin’!

We even got to catch the tram car and listen to the repetitive “Watch the tram car, please!” blasting from its speakers a few dozen times.

It sure wouldn’t be a trip to Wildwood without the tram car. Winking smile

Aaaand just because you haven’t already seen about five bajillion of them, here’s another self-taken photo of me and Jay. Hey, at least we’ve never had one taken on a boardwalk before.

We had a few places that we planned on stopping at while on the boardwalk…one of which being Curley’s.

Curley’s has, in my opinion, some of the best boardwalk fries around. And while I easily could have been content on just making a dinner out of ‘em, I figured it wouldn’t exactly have been the dinner of champs.

I ordered myself a Chicken Cheesesteak and, unbeknownst to me, it was enormous. Really enormous.

So since I still wanted to leave plenty of room for the real goods at hand, I ended up cutting one half of my sandwich into thirds, sharing it with the group, and ate the other half for myself. It was good, for boardwalk grub. Winking smile

But as I mentioned before, the real star of the show was the fries. We ordered a big bucket to share amongst us all and I certainly did my part contributing to its dwindling portions.

Does this all right here not spell v-a-c-a-t-i-o-n or what??

After dinner, we walked around the boardwalk a bit more so we could make another necessary pit stop at Douglass Fudge.

Every year we came to Wildwood, we always had to make a stop into Douglass Fudge so we could load up on fudge to bring back for my grandparents, our friends, and of course, ourselves.

While they do have some amazing fudge, it seems to lose its appeal for me once I get back home with it. So rather than waste our money, Jay and I decided to skip on the fudge.

But that doesn’t mean we left empty-handed!

While walking around the store, I found myself getting a sudden urge for saltwater taffy. I just had to have it…

So I got it.

The girl working there was very nice and said that I could even choose my own flavors, so I got three of my favorite flavors: vanilla, orange, and cherry.

After we got our goods, the boardwalk quickly began to feel extremely crowded and loud, so we scooted out of there and headed back to the hotel to hang out for the rest of the evening.

Now this morning, we’re packing things up for the last time and getting ready to head back home. As sad as I am to leave, as always, I am quite excited to go back and see my little Cody. Even if he did hijack my blog again. Winking smile

Stay tuned this afternoon for an awesome Fashion Friday post…but for now, I’ll see ya from New York!!

Question for the Morning:

What’s your favorite fair/boardwalk/carnival foods to get? (fries, fried dough, etc.)

Do you like fudge? What flavors?

1 Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl July 15, 2011 at 8:58 am

My favorite boardwalk food to get in Bethany Beach (my home-tizzle) is DB Fries and shaved ice. Sooo yummy. I discovered pumpkin fudge at a Halloween party last year and I have to say that’s now become my favorite flavor.

2 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 15, 2011 at 9:07 am

I’m a big fan of monkey bread on the mean boards of OCNJ…. (doesn’t have the same ring as the mean streets, does it?) Also, give me Mack & Manco’s pizza or GIVE ME DEATH!!

Or just more pizza.

3 Kelly July 15, 2011 at 9:08 am

My favorite boardwalk food are giant preztels. I love those things with the big rock salt on it….delish!

4 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 15, 2011 at 9:08 am

Elephant ears! This was passed down to me from my mom. I also love a good corndog.

5 Jen M. July 15, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Yes! Elephant ears, and good, deep-fried corndogs with ketchup and yellow mustard is exactly what I think of when I think of boardwalk food!

6 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 15, 2011 at 12:59 pm

And carnival and state fair food too, for that matter!

7 chloe @ 321delish July 15, 2011 at 9:10 am

your vacation has looked absolutely fantastic. i am completely jealous of every aspect…

but the one thing that I am REALLY amazed about, is how straight and nice your hair looks! Mine gets SO frizzy in the heat!

8 Angela @ Pinching and Packing July 15, 2011 at 9:12 am

I have a total weakness for fudge – especially the chocolate peanut butter kind. What a cute boardwalk!

9 Lindsey July 15, 2011 at 9:15 am

I love mini donuts, corn dogs and ice cream! We are going to our local fair here next weekend and those three things will not be missed!
I am not a fudge fan, but love chocolate and sweets, weird!

10 julie July 15, 2011 at 9:21 am

gahh salt water taffy from the boardwalk (i feel like from any boardwalk really haha) is the BEST. along with swt i would also have to put churros and funnel cakes on that list of must-eat boardwalk foods

11 Bethany July 15, 2011 at 9:24 am

I have been craving peanut butter fudge lately. I even asked my gram last night to make it and her response was “oh boy…” haha! Wish I was @ Wildwood right now eating peanut butter fudge :)

12 Steph @ StephSnacks July 15, 2011 at 9:27 am

Looks like a blast.. fries and fudge! What more does a girl need :)

13 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie July 15, 2011 at 9:36 am

I Love fudge!! I cant believe you passed it up :)

14 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 15, 2011 at 9:43 am

Those fries look amazing!! My favorite carnival food are the large pretzels smothered with salt. I bloat for a week after, but they are so good!

15 Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 15, 2011 at 9:51 am

Yum I love fudge! I would have brought back a suitcase of it with me :)

My favourite flavours are hazelnut and dark chocolate.

16 Emma @ Microcosm of Life July 15, 2011 at 9:52 am

Wait, Curley’s doesn’t serve curly fries?? I guess crinkle cut is a fine alternative :)

The boardwalk must-haves for me are fudge, dippin’ dots, and FUNNEL CAKES! As a kid, I dropped my funnel cake in the sand and seagulls attacked it. I’m pretty sure I cried.

Man, this post makes me really want to go to Bethany Beach, DE!! I’m so glad you had fun.

17 Cait @ Cait hates Cake July 15, 2011 at 10:09 am

Cheese fries!! With more cheese than fries! If you can even call that stuff cheese… ;)

18 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 15, 2011 at 10:10 am

I looove funnel cake! Fudge is delicious… I think peanut butter is my favorite.

19 Ruthie Hart July 15, 2011 at 10:21 am

okay I may have just gained 10lbs looking at your vacation pics! THOSE FRIES!!

20 Jodi July 15, 2011 at 10:26 am

Mmm….I would have loved to eat the other half of your chicken cheesesteak sandwich! I used to love fudge, but I got …a bug… one time after I had just eaten some. Now, it’s a no-go. Something about saltwater taffy screams “vacation”. Every time we go to the mountains, we buy some. Have a safe trip home!

21 Carrie @ TV and Dinners July 15, 2011 at 10:27 am

I’m from the Gulf Coast of Florida — we don’t have boardwalks! ;)

Those fries look AMAZING, though, so I wish we did.

22 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine July 15, 2011 at 10:30 am

Gyros – they are my weakness!

23 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 15, 2011 at 10:51 am

When I was a kid, I used to LOVE getting french fries at a fair/boardwalk and pouring on vinegar and ketchup. Yum! But I haven’t had that in a long time. Now I’d probably say that ice cream would be my favorite.

Your sandwich was HUGE!! I think that sandwich would have even made the guy from “Man v. Food” cringe! ;)

24 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 15, 2011 at 11:03 am

Fries and funnel cake/fried dough! Although the fried dough is one of those things that I really crave beforehand and then once I get it I kinda feel disgusting eating it.

25 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy July 15, 2011 at 11:07 am

My favorite fair food is ice cream. I know I could get ice cream anywhere, but I’m just not a big fan of the fried stuff!

26 sweet and savvy July 15, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Those fries… oh my goodness!

27 Megan (Braise The Roof) July 15, 2011 at 12:51 pm

That boardwalk looks so cute! I don’t think fudge ever loses its appeal to me- especially if there’s peanut butter in it! :)

28 Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers July 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Wow, that boardwalk looks just like the one in Santa Cruz, CA! Maybe all boardwalks look alike… I love fudge, but I’m not too adventurous- I like plain ol’ milk chocolate. :)

29 kristen July 15, 2011 at 2:00 pm

not a big fan of fudge myself.And I love self portrait pictures!

30 Erica July 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm

i love elephant ears/funnel cake!!!

and i LOVE fudge! the more chocolate the better!!!

and you’ve got a great tan! i’m so jealous! i’m so pale right now!

31 Khushboo July 15, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I love soft serve vanilla ice cream at carnivals: soo refreshing!

32 Shayla @ The Good Life July 15, 2011 at 3:32 pm

You’re so pretty Courtney, love the pics!

My absolute favorite Boardwalk is the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk…we only live about an hour from there and it’s a great lil getaway.

And my favorite treat to get is the old fashioned chocolate dipped yogurt cone…and maybe some cotton candy too ;)

33 kerry July 15, 2011 at 5:19 pm

you’re looking so brown courtney!

34 Tara Burner July 15, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Used to be big on fudge, not so much any more…like you, it loses its appeal when I get home….salt water taffy…yum!!!!
not sure I have a fav though :)

35 Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries July 15, 2011 at 8:27 pm

God I love the Wildwood boardwalk. Their taffy is SO delish

36 VanessaG July 15, 2011 at 9:09 pm

My fav amusement park food is Kettle Corn, or snow cones. I cannot wait till Sun because my family and I will be doing all the fun stuff you have been doing…Beach Bound! I’m so pumped! My 2yr old nice is going and I am so excited to spend a week building sancastles with her. The last thing I want to tell you is that you made me feel so good. I have issues with traveling and food. I can’t control when or what we eat. But you know what? Reading your blog put me at ease. I won’t gain 5pds from vacation. I’m gonna enjoy it….every last bite!

37 Courtney July 15, 2011 at 9:11 pm

That’s so true, Vanessa! It’s all about balance…so make sure that you enjoy EVERY OUNCE of that vacation, and when you get back, then it will be back to reality. Life’s too short to not enjoy it to the max every now and then! :)