Fudgy Frosting

I swear, there’s something about the first workout once you’re back from vacation that is just SO awesome. Sure, I did some cardio while I was away, but by the time this morning rolled around, I was really in the need for some major butt-kicking.

So I consulted none other than Ms. Jillian Michaels, and decided to do her No More Trouble Zones DVD. You may remember, this is one of my favorite workout DVD’s and always gets my heart pumpin’. Man, I missed that last week!

After finishing up, I snacked on a banana and a blueberry Clif Z Bar that went undocumented (I kept things light since I’m heading to a brunch in a couple hours).

Just in case you missed any, here’s a round-up of all of last week’s vacation posts:

*****

Later this morning, I have a bridal shower to attend for a very special person, followed up by our 2nd Annual CDNY Blogger Brunch with some more very special people.

It’s definitely going to be a fun day!

For the brunch, I wasn’t sure if I would have time to make anything, seeing as though we just returned back yesterday. BUT, no worries…I was able to scrounge around the kitchen last night and came up with these.

The cookie is a Strawberry Cake Mix Cookie with mini chocolate chips mixed in. Easy peasy.

But it’s the frosting that deserves the attention on these babies…

Usually, I’m a buttercream frosting girl all the way. It’s my favorite, by far. But I decided to try something new last night and whipped up a batch of Fudgy Frosting instead.

If you live locally, then you may be familiar with the famous Fudge Fancy cookies?? Yes, well, while I’m not at liberty to put my own cookies in the same category as those, I will tell you that this frosting tastes very, VERY similar. And it’s probably a whole lot cheaper, too. Winking smile

*****

*****

*To frost all 24 cookies, I only made half a batch of the frosting recipe from above and still had plenty left. If you’re making cupcakes or a cake, however, I would suggest making a whole batch. There’s nothing wrong with leftovers!

Time to go get movin’…I’ve got lots of fun ahead of me today!

Question for the Morning:

What’s your favorite kind of frosting?

Comments

Thank you for this fudgey chocolate icing recipe! I’ve been looking for a new one to try out!
    And I totally feel you on the workout after vacation thing– my favorite part is cleaning up my eating again with homemade salads & greens after a vacation of eating out :D

I agree–the first workout after a break is the best! My body is always craving a really great workout after relaxing and getting back in the routine always makes me start my week off to a great start.

I love vanilla frosting!

Nothing like a good workout to kickstart the ‘back to reality’ feeling! I’m hit or miss with frosting, but if I am eating it, it has to be buttercream!

Brunch is my favorite meal of all time! I bet your cookies will be much appreciated at the brunch you are going to. I love all frosting!!! On a cake, on a cookie, on a spoon, buttercream, cream cheese… frosting is such a weakness of mine!

I’d have to go with buttercream, too! The only kind of frosting I’m not crazy about is the whipped cream kind on cakes… I like the sugary stuff! But really, frosting is frosting & I’ll take what I can get! :-)

The cookies look beautiful!

I love my grandma’s secret frosting recipe. The only ingredients that I know that go into it are brown sugar and sour cream but it is to die for on a chocolate cake! :) Otherwise I like cream cheese frosting!

7. Kellie says

I know you posted this a while ago, but I found your blog through pinterest and had a question. Does this fudge frosting get a little hard, so that cookies can stack on top of each other on a cookie platter? I’m looking for a fudgy chocolate cookie icing that is stable but still a little chewy. Thanks!

• Courtney says

Hey Kellie! Yes, it should definitely get a little hard. I’ve never tried stacking with them so I’m not sure how that will go, but I’d say just keep them cold in the fridge before stacking and then you should be good!

I just tried this and the flavor is great. However, how did you get your frosting to be firm enough to frost on top so that it remains in the shape you put it on? Mine is too thin even though I added almost 4 cups of powdered sugar. Let me know if you have a trick for this! Thanks!

Otherwise, love it! And I”ve been trying to figure out how to make the fudge fancies, homemade, for some time now!

• Courtney says

Hey Laura! You’ll definitely want to leave it in the fridge to thicken up a bit. You could try adding a little less milk too, maybe? But keeping it cool is definitely going to help. Glad you’re enjoying it…I hear you on Fudge Fancies. SO good!! ;)

Trackbacks