Last Minute Swap

by Courtney on July 18, 2011

WELL! You guys are just as excited about my SOYJOY giveaway as I thought you would be…maybe even more so? Either way, keep those entries comin’!

*****

Since I was too busy giving you guys an opportunity to get yours hands on some awesome loot, I never got a chance to fill you in on my morning.

Bright and early, I trekked it over to the gym for the first time since before vacation to attend another BodyCombat class. This is the only other one that I’ve taken since my first class, and I’ll say that it was just as enjoyable and butt-kicking as the last.

I decided not to stay for the follow-up BodyFlow class and instead, opted to head to the “scary part of the gym” for some upper weight and abs moves.

Shoulder Press 3 sets x 15 reps
Bicep Curls 3 sets x 15 reps
Tricep Kickbacks 3 sets x 15 reps
Chest Press 3 sets x 15 reps
Crunches on Stability Ball 50 reps
Bicycles 50 reps
Lower Ab Crunches with Stability Ball 2 sets x 20 reps

(I used 8 lb. dumbbells for all of the above moves)

To say I’ll probably be sore tomorrow is most likely an understatement. I can already sense the burn in my upper arms and shoulders. I love it!

After the gym and a quick trip to the grocery store, I came home to make some breakfast.

I had been planning on a buckwheat bowl all morning but ended up making a last-minute swap for an egg white and cheese sandwich.

I heated up 2 egg whites in my microwave egg cooker, and topped them with some fresh basil leaves and a slice of reduced fat provolone cheese. I also added a big ‘ol slice of tomato and some salt and pepper along with my toasted Thomas’ Honey Wheat English Muffin.

Of course, I also enjoyed a glass of iced coffee with skim milk, Truvia, and a side of creeper. Winking smile

Mid-morning, I sipped on downed a small can of Low-Sodium V8 juice.

As you guys know, vegetables seem to be giving me some tummy troubles lately, so after a suggestion from a reader, I’ve decided to try using the V8 to cover some (but not all) of my daily veggie intake.

I’ve actually always enjoyed V8 (my dad always used to drink it growing up) so I don’t  mind incorporating it. Plus, I felt fine after drinking it, so hopefully this will help me out a bit!

Now, I’m about to figure out what in the world I want for lunch and then finally go to get my engagement ring taken care of. I’ve really missed being able to wear it!

Question for the Afternoon:

What’s your favorite way to enjoy veggies? (Fresh, steamed, cooked, broiled…in juice form?)

1 Lindsey July 18, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Fresh in salads, but I am with you if I OD on them I get an upset tummy!

I have never been able to get over the idea of drinking veggie drinks/juices, I far gone as far as spinach in my smoothies but can’t do much more yet!

I also love roasted BBQ veggies in the summer :)

2 Lee @ in the pink of condition July 18, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Last week, I got the cinnamon Thomas english muffins by mistake, and they were delicious!

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 18, 2011 at 1:17 pm

V8’s scare me! I don’t know why, but the thought of drinking veggies freaks me out.
I’m gonna go with broiling as my fav method but sometimes a simple steam is really good :) Hard to choose!

4 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 18, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Yay!!! Engagement ring back!!! I’m happy for ya! …I <3 mine and feel lost without it!
Good workout and the fact that you are feeling the burn is a good thing, it's only bad when you can't lift your arms to even feel the burn. HA!

5 Kathryn July 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I like my veggies fresh, sauteed, and I’ll eat steamed carrots, but only if they aren’t too mushy.

6 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I love love love juicing. It definitely helps with the tummy troubles!!! Hahahah I feeel you girl, the “scary part” of the gym is where I DON’T go. I opt for the weight machines instead ;)

7 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 18, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Being engagement ringless does feel weird. I was totally ringless for weeks while my jeweler cleared up some ring issues, and I felt kinda silly. Glad you are getting yours back!

8 Cat @Breakfast to Bed July 18, 2011 at 1:29 pm

if you like egg white sandies in the morning, have you ever thought of trying a labne (aka kefir cheese) and tomato sandwich? soooo good.

9 Vanessa @ Sweaty in Pink July 18, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I had no idea V8 was so low in calories, I definitely want to give it a try. Could be helpful to sip on this rather than eating a ton of snacks when I’m not actually hungry — but rather just bored and want something in my mouth!

10 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl July 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I once bought a whole bunch of V8 because I wanted to buy something healthy and I STILL haven’t drank it…that was when I moved into my apt 1.5 years ago. haha. I like veggies raw or steamed, but my fave is just a big crunchy salad!

11 colleen @ thegiftofmondays July 18, 2011 at 11:02 pm

sounds like me for sure! i buy the V8 because i’m looking for the healthy route and then i might take one sip and there it sits for eternity. i wish i liked it. but for me, i’d rather eat raw, steamed or grilled veggies. unless it’s in my smoothie because strawberries and oj can mask the taste of anything!!!

12 Erica July 18, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I like fresh veggies best! I’m not a huge fan of V-8, even though it would be a good way to add more veggies to my diet!

13 Cait @ Cait hates Cake July 18, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Most of the time I like my veggies fresh. Grilled or steamed are my favorite ways to cook them. I find cooked carrots disgusting, though.

14 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 18, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Yay to getting the engagement ring back! I’ve never tried V8, I wonder if I’d like it. I like to some raw veggies, but a lot of them have a texture that freaks me out…so I tend to cook those ones (by steaming). :)

15 Laura @ Unchartered 20s July 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm

There’s something about V8 that I just can’t stand!! I think it’s the tomato juice, which is weird b/c I love tomato-everything else – raw, cooked, sauce, soup, ketchup etc. But juice? Ick!!
Glad it’s working for you tho!! ;)

16 Ruthie Hart July 18, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I love veggies dipped in hummus!!

17 Hope July 18, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I love roasting veggies! I cannot get enough of roasting them in either garlic salt or Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute. If you haven’t tried it, I totally recommend it! :) I love V-8. I used to drink it all the time growing up.

18 Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 18, 2011 at 3:22 pm

My boyfriend recently got into V8 which I love, but I really can;t stand the taste of it. Mainly because I don’t like tomatoes in any other form other than raw. In fact, I like most veggies straight up raw! But my favorite method would probably be sauteing them,

19 Claire July 18, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Smart lady with the V8! I am going to give that a try…because…let’s face it…gas is not comfortable and the same thing happens to me…embarrassing ;-)

20 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats July 18, 2011 at 4:20 pm

My favorite way to enjoy veggies would be either raw, steamed or grilled. I also love throwing spinach into my smoothies for an extra punch of greens! :)

21 Girl In The Pink July 18, 2011 at 4:20 pm

We just got a BBQ and I have been loving grilled veggies lately! yum!

22 Katherine July 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I have never been into the V8/vegetable juices…

23 Erica July 18, 2011 at 4:33 pm

i love fresh veggies w/dip :)

i could never get used to v8…the ones mixed w/fruit isn’t so bad though….

24 Alexa @ Simple Eats July 18, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I love V8…especially the spicy one! I also love roasting my veggies with fat-free cooking spray, salt pepper and garlic…yum!

25 Brenda@ Baby on the Way July 18, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I love V8! The way I enjoy veggies being prepared depends on the vegetable. Like, obviously- lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber- raw is the best. I enjoyed spinach in a smoothie for the first time recently. It’s GENIUS! I thank all the health food bloggers for inspiring me to get my spinach in that way! I think it’s so much better than cooked or in a salad.

26 Maria July 18, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Agree with Alexa – the spicy V8 is awesome. I highly recommend checking it out next.

27 Khushboo July 18, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I love roasted veggies especially kale and butternut squash! Raw veggies are pretty darn fantastic too, even better when you throw in some hummus!

28 Liz @ Something To Chew Om July 18, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I love veggies all crispy and crunchy in a big ol’ salad!!

29 Katie July 18, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Could someone kindly describe the taste of V8? I think it would help me get in some servings quickly, but I imagine gagging on some thick, pulpy, cheap protein-shake consistency.

30 Courtney July 18, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Hmmm…it tastes a lot like tomato juice to me, if you’ve ever had that. Consistency wise, it’s thick, but doesn’t have the same gritty taste as some nasty protein can.
Luckily it’s not expensive, so go ahead and give it a try! :)

31 Kristine @ Running on Hungry July 18, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I’m a big fan of fresh or in juices! I really don’t like veggies cooked for some reason… I think it’s the texture!