The Red Meat Rule

by Courtney on July 20, 2011

When it comes to me taking photographs of my food at dinner, I’d have to say that Jay’s reaction (at this point) is usually about 80% used to it, but 100% impatient about it.

I’ve told him from the beginning that he doesn’t have to wait for me to start eating, but if he does decide to dig in right away, he’s usually almost done by the time I’m taking my first few bites. He eats fast…I eat slow.

So when we’re having a dinner where we actually sit down together, I try my best to grab a few shots of the goods and get on with it. Last night, however, hubby was very adamant that I take a few extra pictures of his handy work.

I think he was rather proud. Winking smile

As you guys probably already know, I have a rule about red meat in the house: I will eat it…but I won’t cook it.

I’m really not opposed to it, and actually enjoy a nice cut of lean red meat every once in a while, but Jay knows that if he wants to eat it, he’s the one gettin’ down and dirty at the grill.

Last night, he marinated and grilled a nice, lean cut of london broil, along with some sweet potato fries cooked on the grill as well. My only job? Boil the corn on the cob.

I liked that job. And I really liked last night’s dinner. Hubby is quite the rock star grill master.

*****

This morning, I had yet another appointment to take car of my car (alignment today) so I brought my iced coffee to enjoy on the car ride.

Once I got back, I was more than ready to dig in to some breakfast…and another new bag of Love Grown Foods granola! I’m happy to say that the Sweet Cranberry Pecan flavor is just as good, if not better, than the last flavor I just finished off.

AND, it works pretty awesome as a topping for a buckwheat bowl, too.

Today’s batch was just my basic buckwheat bowl, which was then topped with some of the granola goodness + a small scoop of Blizzard Butter.

It’s been way too long since I last enjoyed a buckwheat bowl…it was delicious.

So far, no workout has been done today, and I honestly don’t know if I feel like doing one at all. I’m still ridiculously sore from Monday, so maybe today will end up being an impromptu rest day. We’ll see!

But now…it’s time for some questions!

WOULD YOU RATHER…

• Lose every single strand of hair all over your body OR triple your hair count?
  • Chew like a cow OR laugh like a goat?
  • Travel the world OR build your dream house (but NOT both!)?

1 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 20, 2011 at 9:48 am

I think that I’d rather travel the world, but only if I could do it with someone I loved. If that was outta the question and the journey was alone, then give me a dream house please and thank you!!

Also, give me grilled red meat or GIVE ME DEATH! (but really, that meat just looks delish, my compliments to the chef.)

2 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries July 20, 2011 at 9:54 am

1. A wildabeast look isn’t good for anyone. No thanks. But to be bald with no eyelashes to bat?! This is not fair.
2. Believe it or not – I have what my parents call the “Helen Keller laugh.” I don’t make ANY noise when I laugh! My mouth just gapes open and tears stream down my face. It’s really attractive. I’d take the goat laugh any day.
3. Travel, travel, travel!

3 Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes July 20, 2011 at 11:16 am

But Colleen – you could always get a wig and false eyelashes! Better than being a hair beast, yes? :)

4 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries July 20, 2011 at 11:22 am

So true! But is waxing allowed?? ;)

5 Courtney July 20, 2011 at 11:42 am

I’m gonna have to say NO! ;)

6 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries July 20, 2011 at 11:46 am

Oh LORD! That’s a whole new ball game. Hairless it is! ;)

Does this win an award for the Most Analyzed “Would You Rather” In History? :)

7 Courtney July 20, 2011 at 11:51 am

I think it just might!! :)

8 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 20, 2011 at 9:55 am

Ohh these are tougher today. Definitely travel the world, but the other 2 are hard! I guess I’d say triple my hair count (it can always be waxes, right?) and chew like a cow.
Tell Jay those are some awesome grill lines! haha

9 Jordan Trump July 20, 2011 at 9:59 am

Oh man that dinner looks good… I could totally go for some red meat at 9 AM at work! *drool* I really need to improve my grilling skills.

1) I would go for no hair. Being a guy, I don’t think it’d be that bad? I could be wrong though!
2) Definitely laugh like a goat, so I could laugh at myself every time I laugh.
3) Build my dream house by far!

10 briana July 20, 2011 at 10:00 am

triple my hair, I guess chew like a cow lol and definitely travel! I believe you are hapiest from experiences not material possessions!

11 Christy July 20, 2011 at 10:04 am

*Triple my hair count if only my head, however if that’s not an option then lose it all.
*Laugh like a goat. I cannot stand people who chew with their mouth open (aka like a cow)
*Build my dream house.

12 Ruthie Hart July 20, 2011 at 10:08 am

lose the hair…I’d get a wig ;-)
laugh like a goat…lol
and build my dream house! As much as I want to travel the world, I can’t wait to live in my dream house making memories with my family and building a life for my future children!

13 Kristen July 20, 2011 at 10:08 am

* Triple my hair count & invest in some industrial strength clippers
* Laugh like a goat—hearing people with poor eating habits (i.e. smacking, slurping) is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves–I would hate to be the offender there
* Travel the world for sure!!

14 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine July 20, 2011 at 10:17 am

1. I would rather go bald!
2. Chew like a cow!
3. Build my dream house – I’ve dreamed about it after all.

15 colleen July 20, 2011 at 10:18 am

I didn’t find these that hard!
1. Lose ever single strand of hair all over my body (I don’t want to look like an ape.)
2. Laugh like a goat (some say I already do)
3. Build my dream house (then I could do a staycation in my pretty house)

16 Brittany July 20, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Agree with all of these.
My dad has alopecia, which is genetic but usually skips a generation, and I’m used to the way he looks so I guess I’d get used to myself too…
And decorating my dream house is one of the things I look forward to most in life. As much as I love travelling, not having my dream house would be a major buzzkill.

17 Cait @ Cait hates Cake July 20, 2011 at 10:19 am

1.) Lose all hair – no shaving my legs anymore? awesome!
2.) Laugh like a goat! hehe
3.) Travel the world!!

18 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 20, 2011 at 10:21 am

That steak looks awesome!!

I’d rather:
- triple my hair count. But I’m crossing my fingers that the hair would only grown on my head! ;)
- chew like a cow. You can always cover your mouth. But an annoying laugh can drive EVERYBODY crazy!
- travel the world, for sure. I don’t care as much about “things.” Sure I’d like a nice house, but I’d rather experience all life has to offer!

19 Kathryn July 20, 2011 at 10:29 am

Lose the hair, laugh like a goat, build my dream house.

20 Charlie July 20, 2011 at 10:35 am

Haha my boyfriend is just like Jay, he’s used to me taking pictures but he just wants to eat :). When he’s in the living room, he knows dinner is served when he hears my camera :P.

I’d rather…
Lose every single strand of hair all over my body
Laugh like a goat (I HATE when people chew like a cow lol)
Build my dream house (that one was hard!)

21 Diana July 20, 2011 at 10:35 am

obsessed with your new “would you rather?” idea!

- I would rather triple my hair count. You can always wax awkward places, and I would finally have a thick head o’ hair!

- Laugh like a goat. Noisy eating is my #1 pet peeve.

- Build my dream house! There’s no place like home.

22 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 20, 2011 at 10:40 am

Red meat rule should go for my house too!!! ….Nice work Jay! Those grill marks are awesome!!! :)
I want try love grown foods granola but can’t find it :(
-Triple my hair count for sure!
-Laugh like a goat, people with unique laughs get me. They usually make others laugh.
-TRAVEL THE WORLD!!!!!!

23 Girl in the pink July 20, 2011 at 10:42 am

Triple my strands

Eat like a cow (I already do anyways)

Easy, travel the world!!

My husband gets annoyed of me taking photos of our food too, lol!

24 Molly Carter July 20, 2011 at 10:47 am

Triple my hair count- and triple my waxing appointments!
Laugh like a goat.
Travel the world. I love traveling.

25 Jodi July 20, 2011 at 10:48 am

1.I would definitely rather triple my hair count, and then get laser removal!

2. I’d rather chew like a cow because I am always laughing, and people would definitely get annoyed.

3. Definitely build my dream house!

The London Broil looks fantastic!

26 Heidi @ The Sweet Life July 20, 2011 at 10:49 am

My husband cooks all of the red meat in our house too. Actually, he cooks most of the food. Looks like Jay did a great job grilling!
1. I would rather triple my hair. That what razors and wax are for. Plus them maybe the hair on my head would get thicker.
2. I would rather laugh like a goat
3. Travel!

27 Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews July 20, 2011 at 10:57 am

Wow that is an especially beautiful meal!

28 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 20, 2011 at 11:04 am

1. Triple my hair count
2. Chew like a cow (I kind of already do!)
3. Build my dream house (I’m a homebody anyway!)

29 Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique July 20, 2011 at 11:04 am

I like that red meat rule. I should use it from time to time. My only thing about it is I do most of the cooking and when I do decide to spoil my guy with red meat..I get to pick what i’m making with it. ;)

30 Lindsay @The Lean Green Bean July 20, 2011 at 11:13 am

I have some buckwheat flour coming in the mail and I can’t wait to make my very own buckwheat bowls!

31 Lee @ in the pink of condition July 20, 2011 at 11:15 am

1. Triple my hair count – you can always shave it off but you can’t add it back on!

2. Laugh like a goat, for sure. Funny laughs are the BEST.

3. Travel the world!

32 Holly July 20, 2011 at 11:16 am

Wooo! Props to Jay for that awesome looking steak! I don’t even like OR eat red meat & that looks fantastic. Perfect grill marks :)
1. Triple my hair count (since I have such fine/ thin hair)
2. Chew like a cow. Gross, but I would hate to laugh like a goat…I laugh too much to sound like that! :D
3. Build my dream home..FOR SURE! I hope to one day be able to actually do that too!!

33 Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes July 20, 2011 at 11:18 am

LOSE THE HAIR! If I never had to shave my legs again I would be in heaven! That’s what wigs are for, right? Then I could have a different hair cut/color/style anytime I want!

Laughing like a goat would just be plain hilarious – I take that. Chewing like a cow is nasty.

I would definitely build my dream home – far far away from all people that drive me crazy (apartment living is no fun!)

34 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 20, 2011 at 11:18 am

I love that you eat buckwheat too! Most people are oat-crazy, but girl I am ALL about the creamy buckwheat!

35 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 20, 2011 at 11:19 am

p.s. I am having a giveeeeaway!

36 Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke July 20, 2011 at 11:28 am

I would say bring on the hair, I could always shave right? haha
Definitely laugh like a goat, I hat when people chew like cows!
And travel the world for sure, a dream house is awesome espeically with a nice kitchen but the life changing experiences from travel can’t be beat.

37 Emily July 20, 2011 at 11:30 am

Love this game!
1. I could not imagine hairless. So def grow hair 3 times the amount.
2. Laugh like a goat. I would hate to gross people out while I’m eating.
3. Build my dream home!!!!

38 courtney @ cupcakedynamite July 20, 2011 at 11:42 am

I love when my boyfriend cooks on the grill (so I can just sit back…) and gotta love when they actually want you to take pictures!! :)

39 Courtney July 20, 2011 at 11:43 am

Yes! It’s very rare that it happens :)

40 Eunice July 20, 2011 at 11:46 am

I would be a bald person that laughed like a goat and lived in my dream house!

41 Bethany July 20, 2011 at 11:52 am

1. Triple my hair count!
2. Chew like a cow
3. Travel the world

42 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 20, 2011 at 12:14 pm

1. I would rather lose all of my hair and then purchase an awesome wig. It would actually probably look better than my hair usually does haha.
2. Hmmm…I guess I’d rather laugh like a goat. You always have to chew your food, but you could stifle a laugh instead of doing a full blown one.
3. I would definitely rather travel the world. There are so many beautiful places to see! Plus, I don’t want to be cooped up in some place that I would likely get tired of after a while. My dream house visions change a lot haha.

43 Karis' Kitchen July 20, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Ha, I can totally relate to the first couple sentences because I am constantly telling my husband to start eating without me. He never does, then complains that his food isn’t warm enough. Drives me crazy!

44 Morgan @ Endorphaholic July 20, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Travel the world! I would love to spend a year hiking and exploring all of the natural features of the world!

45 kristen July 20, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I would rather travel the world than build my dream house. There is so much to see!!!

46 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy July 20, 2011 at 12:21 pm

1. Triple my hair count
2. Laugh like a goat
3. Travel the world

47 Katherine July 20, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I would rather triple my hair count (even though I’m pretty sure I have some of the thickest hair) I don’t ever want to be bald!

I would rather laugh like a goat (what ever that sounds like)

and I would rather travel the world

48 Alexa @ Simple Eats July 20, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I’d much rather travel the world, laugh like a goat and lose all of my hair. Love these questions!

49 Jenny O. July 20, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Next time, make him grill the corn, too! (Wrap it in foil if it’s not in the husk, or keep it in the husk and stick it straight on the grill.) You probably already know that trick, but it makes the corn taste sooooo much better than boiling! Love the blog- I’m a new reader!

50 Courtney July 20, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Ahhh, I didn’t think about the foil! I had already shucked the corn at the grocery store so I didn’t have any husks. I’ll remember that for next time…I love grilled corn on the cob!

Thanks for reading, Jenny! :)

51 Carissa July 20, 2011 at 1:18 pm

My husband is just like yours when it comes to blogging photos! His meals are usually partially eaten OR you can see his fingers and utensils sneaking in for a bite! haha!

52 Hannah July 20, 2011 at 1:23 pm

hmm. i think loose my hair– thats what wigs are for.
laugh like a goat, i hate people who chew like cows.
travel the world– though after a while that gets tiring. but you could stay for long periods of time -and relax…

53 gabriella @ embracement July 20, 2011 at 1:30 pm

No hair definitely, I have too much as it is….laugh like a goat….travel as long as it includes company

54 Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian July 20, 2011 at 1:39 pm

1. Bald… and buy a wig – so I could change it up depending on my mood and feelings.
2. Laugh like a goat, because at least I would not be the only one! ;)
3. Travel, travel, travel!!! Heck yeah, go anywhere whenever, bring it on!!! I love traveling, so it would be all good for me! :)

55 Laura @ Unchartered 20s July 20, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Hmm these are tough! I’d triple my hair count if it’s only on the head – otherwise i’ll go bald. No more shaving!
I’d llaugh like a goat.
I WANT to say travel the world, but i think i’d rather have my dream home!!

56 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats July 20, 2011 at 3:53 pm

1. I would rather lose every strand. 2. I would rather laugh like a goat. Loud eaters are one of my pet peeves! Lol. 3. I would rather travel the world as long as I could bring my favorite company! That meal looks tasty! Corn on the grill is awesome too if you haven’t tried it!

57 Khushboo July 20, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I’m not much of a red meat eater but damn that dinner looks good!

58 Shayla @ The Good Life July 20, 2011 at 7:43 pm

1. Lose every single strand of hair all over your body. To finally not have to shave would be awesome! I guess I could just rock a wig for my head ;)

2. Laugh like a goat. My hubby is very particular with the way people chew their food so I guess I’ll laugh like a goat…I don’t think he’d mind ;)

3. Travel the world. I absolutely love traveling and would love to more if money weren’t an issue!

59 Audrey July 21, 2011 at 3:09 am

1. I’d rather lose every single strand of hair, because I could always inbest in really cool wigs, and I’m sure I could either pencil in or find a fake eyebrow maker ;)
2. Chew like a cow…most meals we eat alone (breakfast on the run), and I laugh waaaayyy too often to be able to hide rthe goat thing
3. Build my dream house! It would be my DREAM house!!!! Plys, it doesn’t say anything about traveling the continent or all but one plave therefore technically not the world ;)

60 Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts July 21, 2011 at 12:01 pm

These questions are fun!

1. (what kind of questions is this?!) I think I would triple my hair count and just invest in really good razors for the hair that’s not on my head.
2. I already kind of laugh crazy, so I’ll go with laughing like a goat.
3. Travel the world – definitely!!