Pool Intervals

by Courtney on July 23, 2011

Well, since chatting with you all last, the rest of today can be summed up rather easily. Let’s see…

First, I headed out and completed some “intervals” at the pool; and by “intervals,” I mean:

-Read one chapter in my book while sweating my face off…

image

-Spend 10 minutes lounging on my pretty pink float to cool off.

These intervals were completed for about 3 chapters before finally just deciding to stay on the float. It was just too darn hot out there to not be in the water (which is 86 degrees as it is- bath water!)

Also, in the midst of my intervals, my new favorite smoothie was consumed. But since it was totally way too much effort at this point to go looking for my camera, I’ll give you all another recycled photo.

image

Once pool time was over, I came back inside, showered, and ended up unexpectedly napping on the couch for a good 45 minutes. I don’t know whether it was a combo of the heat + water, or maybe I’m just still feeling super relaxed from this morning. Either way, my nap was lovely.

I awoke, however, to a grumbling belly and a hubby with a grumbling belly, and needed to figure out something quick to make for dinner.

Noooooo problemo. Especially when I have a box of Annie’s Shells & White Cheddar lying around!

I went ahead and created another version of the 20 Minute Mac & Cheese…Your My Way. Today’s batch included:

• 1 can chunk chicken
  • 3/4 can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1 diced zucchini (which I sautéed up with a little EVOO, salt, & pepper while the shells were cooking)
  • Fresh basil
  • Salt & pepper

I just love how easy it is to take a simple box of mac & cheese and “doctor it up” to our liking. Plus, by adding all the extra “bulk,” we’ve got plenty of leftovers, too.

In keeping with my lazy theme for the day, dinner was enjoyed on the couch. Some days just call for an easy peasy, cozy dinner on the couch.

IMG_6128IMG_6130

Now, I’m currently trying to convince hubby to end our day on the right note with a little 16 Handles. I mayyyyy be making progress…but don’t worry, I’ll let you know if I do.

Questions for the Evening:

Would you rather be IN the pool -OR- lounging NEXT to the pool?

What are your best strategies when trying to convince your S.O. (or anyone) to go get fro yo with you? Smile

1 Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl July 23, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I told Scott I would buy if he would come get froyo with me. It worked. ;)

2 Amanda July 23, 2011 at 7:29 pm

during this heat in austin, tx!?! definitively in the pool! lol :P

i can almost never convince the “S.O.” to get fro-yo! can’t wait to read the suggestions in the comments!

3 Kathryn July 23, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Definitely in the pool! We don’t have a froyo pace near us, but it’s always easy to convince my hubby to enjoy ice cream.

4 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles July 23, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Loving the pool intervals! Good luck convincing Jay – hope you are able to enjoy some fro yo soon. :)

5 Cassie July 23, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Please let us know how that book is! I love Emily Giffin and haven’t read that one yet. I would much rather being lounging in a raft in the pool. And if I mention fro yo to my hubby, he’s in, he loves the stuff!

6 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries July 23, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I was by the pool all day! We’d get in for a little bit to cool off, then hop back in the sun. Then we went for fro yo! Perfect day :)

7 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 23, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Hmmm I’m more of a “lounger” but on days like today I’d definitely be in the pool! I’m so jealous of everyone with all of these delicious frozen yogurt places near them!!

8 briana July 23, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I usually just say we are close to the fro yo place lets stop! I am enjoying a small dinner and a large cup of angel food cake and butter brickle fro yo! :)

9 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 23, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I just ask and he says “OK.” He knows not to get in between me and my sweet tooth! ;)

10 Melissa July 23, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I’d so rather be in the pool than out of it… I grew up in Phoenix, AZ, so I bet you can assume why! But really, any time I’m near water is a good time!

I love that posted this question about fro-yo, because it’s my and my boyfriend’s FAVORITE thing to “convince” each other to go get. Usually, we’re always down for fro-yo with little “convincing”, but if one of us isn’t really feeling it (we’re hot, tired, dirty-looking (usually me haha), or don’t want to ‘waste’ the gas (his excuse)), we offer to drive or offer to pay. In those cases, if I don’t feel like going, he’ll say “I’ll pay for it!” and I’m like… okay sweet! If he doesn’t want to go, I offer to drive, and that usually seals the deal. But as you can see, it’s pretty easy to convince each other to go.. soo delicious!

11 Elizabeth R. July 23, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I just finished that book last week. I started to really get into it about halfway through and I really liked it!

12 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 23, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I was reading ‘Something Blue’ this afternoon sweating my face off!!!! No pool for me to jump into though, geeze it was hot out!
I would rather be IN the pool! I <3 the water!!!

13 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine July 23, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I would definitely rather be in the pool!

14 erica July 23, 2011 at 8:51 pm

i like those pools that are super shallow so you can lay out and be outside, but inside the pool…lol.

i beg. i whine. i negotiate. i love fro yo!

15 Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries July 23, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I have been craving some mac n cheese for awhile.. love the way you doctor it up! Luckily the boyfriend enjoys fro yo :) all I have to do is tell him he’s in charge of crafting our dessert, and he never passes up the opportunity.

16 Bethany July 23, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I tell him he can get Taco Bell (which is right next door to Kiwi Frozen Yogurt) while I eat my treat. I don’t like Taco Bell that much so we never go…..he LOVES it. Win~Win!

17 Nancy July 23, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Ooooo if there was a pool around me, I’d be in it. Unfortunately there’s no one I know around here with on haha….I’m on my way ;)

18 Sweet and Savvy July 23, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I’m definitely an “interval” pool person myself. I lay next to the pool reading, but I have to get in to cool off pretty often. :)

The only froyo place near me is 30 mins away. So I strongly hint to my boyfriend that I’d loveee a date night at a restaurant in that city then conveniently get a hankering for dessert . :)

19 Katherine July 23, 2011 at 10:23 pm

In the pool!

20 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 23, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I like to get in and out of the pool depending on how hot it is. I get in, cool off, get out, get hot, get in again, etc.

21 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 23, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I love Annie’s mac n cheese for easy dinner nights. nothing compares ;)
On a day like today (and the past 5 for that matter) I’d definitely rather be in the pool!

22 Khushboo July 23, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Offering to pay tends to be a deal-breaker ;)

23 Jen @newellnd July 23, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Much rather be in the pool!
I have been studying all summer so my strategy to convince my bf to go for fro-yo is to make it seem like the greatest study break ever. He is more than happy to insert that bit of joy into my days. Definitely a keeper!

24 Shayla @ The Good Live July 24, 2011 at 1:25 am

Ah man, I would love love to have the all elusive strategy to get my hubby to get fro yo with me….can’t we all have sweets loving hubby’s like Julie’s from PBF??!! ;)

Can’t wait to hear all the suggestions because I need ‘em too! :)

25 Megan @ Sweet B's Homemade July 24, 2011 at 1:26 am

That mac and cheese looks amazing, yum!

26 Helen July 24, 2011 at 9:44 am

In Louisiana you gotta be in the pool!

As for the fro-yo – we have kids, so make them ask :)

27 Lindsey July 24, 2011 at 9:47 am

Either or works for me, beside or in the pool :) I make a similar supper often that I call gourmet Mac and Cheese, but add tuna versus chicken and then the veggies like you! Soo good!

28 Courtney July 24, 2011 at 10:03 am

We like adding tuna sometimes, too. SO yummy! :)

29 melissa July 24, 2011 at 10:05 am

Woww!! Emily giffin is my favorite author ever!!

30 Ruthie Hart July 24, 2011 at 12:24 pm

ugh I wish books could be read in the pool!! (Especially Emily Giffin books!) And I am so gonna make that pasta salad!

31 Tami July 24, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I just finished that book! I loved it! Kind of a hate-on-men book, but what chick lit isn’t? haha

32 Kristi July 24, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I would rather be in the water on a float, then outside of the pool sweating!

33 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count July 24, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I have read all of Emily Griffin’s books. They are perfect poolside books! I love Janet Evanovich also, she writes a series about a female bounty hunter named Stephanie Plum, and they are hilarious. The Hunger Games series is also great! I read each of those books in a day!

34 Laura @ Unchartered 20s July 24, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I would rather be IN the pool for sure! And I usually convince the hubby to go for fro yo by paying lol. Its starting to beomce an expensive habit!

35 Pamela July 25, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Courtney! Your post inspired me to try the Mac & Cheese. I made it with white cheddar shells, chunk tuna, peas, and diced tomatoes. Delicious and easy! I’m enjoying the leftovers now. Thanks for the idea!