Full Of Tangents

by Courtney on July 29, 2011

I’ve read before that when one is constructing a blog post, that it should really be centered around one main topic or point of interest. Typically, my posts tend to talk about more than one topic, but I do try my best to somehow mesh things together.

Well today, my friends, I’ve got lots to talk about. Like, a lot. I am full of tangents, I’m feeling a little spunky, and I can think of no other way to share them other than just blurting them all out. I promise…I’m going to try my best to tie them all in together. We’ll see how I do…

Ok, let’s go!

-First, I’m shocked at how many of you have never heard of garbage bread before??

I guess I thought that this was a pretty well-known thing?

Speaking of well-known things…

-Today is Coffee Friday! So this morning, I headed out to celebrate with an iced version from Dunkin Donuts. I also caved and asked for two blueberry cake munchkins.

-Unfortunately, it appears as though my streak of good luck with free munchkins has died. I blame it on the fact that the cashier was a girl…I think you guys were onto something before!

-However I DID, once again, get hooked up with more than what I asked for. This makes me both happy and annoyed.

I mean, if I wanted five I would have asked for five (actually, it’s more like I want twenty-five, but that would be bad for business). So far I’ve only had my two that I asked for.

Speaking of asking for things…

-Last night, I asked Jay if he wanted me to mow the lawn for him today. As soon as the words passed my lips I immediately regretted them. But of course, it was too late by that point. So I put on my happy face, grabbed my iPod, and got down to business.

-When I saw this photo, I didn’t have one negative thought creep into my head. Winking smile

-I need to wear gardening gloves when I mow the lawn because otherwise I get blisters.

-I do pretty good work when I mow…but I really don’t enjoy mowing.

Want to know what else I really don’t enjoy…?

-Weeding. And yet, despite my strong dislike for the activity, I still managed to spend almost an hour sweating my face off and cleaning out our front beds.

-This meant that 1 hour weeding + 1 hour push mowing = my exercise for today. I’d say two hours of yard work is totally acceptable as exercise today, right?

But seriously, back to the weeds. Where the heck do all of these freakin’ things come from? And how the heck can I get rid of them?

-I think I remember liking to look for four-leaf clovers a whole lot more than I do now. If there are any children out there who would like to completely weed out search for four-leaf clovers in the flower beds in the back of my house, please let me know. Because I’m done with it!

Want to know what else I’m done with?

-Worrying about not crossing my legs because of spider veins. Because according to this morning’s episode of The Doctors, crossing your legs does not cause spider veins or varicose veins.

source

Sure. NOW they tell me…after I’ve been paranoid about it since noticing my first spider vein in the gym locker room in 8th grade. I guess I’m just genetically predisposed? Boo.

Speaking of predisposed…

-I think I’m also genetically predisposed to feel the need to shop. Is that possible? If so, I blame it on my mom. And I’ll tell ya, it’s been REALLY hard to not purchase the pair of True Religion jeans that are 50% off and featured in my Shop It To me email today.

source

But don’t worry. If you’re with me and are also trying to not to make purchases, then today is the perfect day to enter my Bendiful Watches Giveaway. Because I don’t know about you, but I’d much rather get something for free than pay for it!

Speaking of what I’d rather do…

That brings me to today’s “Would You Rather” Questions!

WOULD YOU RATHER…

• Spend five hours weeding -OR- five hours push mowing?
  • Always get first dibs -OR- the last laugh?
  • Spend your Friday night at home -OR- out on the town?

Alright, how did I do?? Winking smile

1 Jillian @ sprinkle massacre July 29, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Props on mowing the lawn. I can say that i have NEVER mowed a lawn before in my life…I think that I see it harder than it really is haha…. love the pics though, hilarious!

2 Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes July 29, 2011 at 1:33 pm

You did great, randomly tied together! It’s awesome!

I would rather push mow for 5 hours – weeding gives me a backache!

I’m a last worder, so I suppose I’d like the last laugh as well, hahahahaha.

The Friday night question is hard – Im so tired by Friday night! It’s fun to go out, but feels nice to stay in and recover, then go out on Saturday. So, I’m going to say stay in and relax!

3 claire July 29, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I agree with Jill, I have NEVER mowed a lawn and I’m pretty okay with that :) We get so many weeds in our front yard too, it’s such a nusance! And yes, that does classify as exercise!!

4 Cristin July 29, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Love this post! I talk like that every day. It annoys most people, but that’s just how my brain works. You made me laugh!

Have a great day!

5 Diana July 29, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Haha it’s a long-standing joke in my family that I have NEVER mowed the lawn – I say, I don’t share a name with a princess for nothin’! ;)
I have weeded though…and though it’s awful, I do survive.
I would love to have the last laugh and stay in on a Friday! :)

6 chloe @ 321delish July 29, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I fully support your spunkiness on a Friday and your desire to just fill us in on your oh so productive day!

I also dont like mowing or weeding but those lines on your lawn are very straight! good job :)

7 Blog is the New Black July 29, 2011 at 1:41 pm

YOu are so good about weeding! I never do yard work… I leave that to lloyd.

8 Danielle July 29, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I accidentally ran over the electric cord for our lawn mower… Never get asked to do the mowing anymore, I wonder why?! ;)
Good things come to those who wait, so I’d have the last laugh. And given the right company, staying in on a Friday night is the best!

9 Courtney July 29, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Haha….maybe that’s what I need to do?? ;)

10 Danielle July 29, 2011 at 3:05 pm

“Accidents” do happen!!

11 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 29, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Mowing! I hate weeding!
First dibs–I like the best…[thing]…and first dibs is the best way to get it.
I like Friday night’s at home with my hubby, but when people do manage to get us out of the house, I love that too. :)

12 Ruthie Hart July 29, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Im totally making some garbage bread!!! And u go girl mowing the lawn!!! I wish my hubby would let me haha

13 Heather B July 29, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Did you take those pictures of yourself…by yourself??!! I think that makes the post even more humorous. If your neighbors were looking out their windows, Im sure they were giggling ;)

14 Courtney July 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Oh you know it! I totally threw on the self-timer and waited for cars to stop driving by so I could take them :)

15 Heather B July 29, 2011 at 1:56 pm

That’s awesome!! And I’m glad you didn’t have negative thoughts because you have an awesome body. I can say that without being weird because Im a personal trainer :)

16 Bethany July 29, 2011 at 1:51 pm

■Spend five hours weeding~I’ve only ever mowed a lawn once and it was a riding mower!!
■First dibs on stuff!!
■Friday night @ home, which is what I normally do. Sometimes it’s nice to go out, but not every weekend.

17 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) July 29, 2011 at 1:54 pm

You have such a nice big lawn! That’s the great thing about living in an older area :) I remember you said a couple posts ago that you bought the house off of your grandparents!

& yay for no negative comments!!!

18 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) July 29, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Ps. my answers are:

Five hours push mowing
Always get first dibs
Spend my Friday night at home (with my fiance, and the furchildren!!)

19 Erica July 29, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I’ve never mowed the lawn before (& I’m marrying a landscaper, so I doubt I ever will!) buuut… I’d pick 5 hours push mowing, always getting first dibs, & Friday night @ home!

20 OntarioGirl July 29, 2011 at 2:06 pm

the pros of being married to a landscaper! he put down fabric and mulch in all of our gardens so there is no weeding to be done. that will stop the weeds! It is my most hated outdoor chore so I told him straight out I wouldn’t be doing it lol
I’ve never heard of garbage bread either but it looks delicious!

21 Courtney July 29, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Lucky you!!

22 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 29, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I like that your posts go off on tangents sometimes! I means you’re only human :)

23 Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters July 29, 2011 at 2:38 pm

1. 5 hours of weeding… at least I could take little rests, but with the mower, you go when it goes!
2. First dibs!! I’m the kind of girl that races to the car door and yells “shotgun!” Still.
3. Usually a night on the town… but after last night’s cupcake bake-a-thon (4 FLAVORS?!) I need sleep!!

24 Emma @ Microcosm of Life July 29, 2011 at 2:42 pm

When you’re blogging about daily life, it’s almost impossible to have one theme per post! Life happens in tangents :)

25 pat July 29, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I’m ready to shop WHENEVER you are!!!

26 Courtney July 29, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Are you ready to BUY too?? ;)
Bahahaha

27 Shayla @ The Good Life July 29, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Yes! That confirms the notion that the Dunkin Donuts boys have a crush on ya ;)
And yes, definitely 2 hours of yard work equals your workout for the day!

I’d rather spend five hours weeding…I would at least take some rest breaks sitting on my tush, and possibly get a good arm workout in too ;)

Always get first dibs!

Now that I’m older, I’m all about spending my Friday nights at home…with the hubby of course! However 5 years ago…it would have been the other answer :)

28 Shayla @ The Good Life July 29, 2011 at 2:56 pm

P.S. I just signed up for Shop It To Me! Thanks for the great site and can’t wait to find some great deals :)

29 Courtney July 29, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I hear ya on the Friday nights! :)

30 Kelly July 29, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I love the would you rathers!

push mowing
last laugh
night at home

31 Courtney July 29, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I’m so glad! I’m having fun with ‘em too :)

32 Laura @ Unchartered 20s July 29, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Wow look at you mowing!

Hmm I would rather spend five hours push mowing… at least i wouldnt be hunched over –
Always get the last laugh – cant help it!
Spend your Friday night at home – I feel old. It wasnt too long ago i would’ve said the opposite! Although i do love a great night out every now and then :D

33 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 29, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I think you did a great job tying all those topics together :)
Mowing, first dibs, out on the town.

I love mowing the lawn but since we last moved my husband bought a commercial ride behind mower (a Scag) that I can’t operate. It’s like driving a stick shift car and jetskiing at the same time. No joke. I can do both those things independently but not at the same time!

34 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 29, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Nice job with the lawn mowing! I’ve actually never mowed the lawn before…whoops! I saw those jeans today too! Bc of you I made a profile on the Shop it To Me website…I shouldn’t be spending my money haha. Usually I would rather spend Friday nights doing something low-key. Typically that means staying home because my friends at school always want to go out for a hardcore night of drinking (I just don’t like doing that very often). I hope you have an awesome Friday night!

35 Erica July 29, 2011 at 3:24 pm

5 hours of mowing…i don’t think i could bend over weeding for that long!
last laugh.
night in.

36 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 29, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Kudos on mowing! I have never mowed a lawn in my life. And my husband knew before we got married that I had no problem doing the laundry, housecleaning, dishes, etc… but he would be the one doing the yard work. And (so far) he’s been cool with that! ;)

But you look so adorable pushing that lawnmower, you make me think that maybe I should give it a try. On second thought, nope, it’s still not worth it!! :P

37 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 29, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Hahahhaa love you. FIrst of all, I am making garbage bread. Second of all, you need to come to Rochester and have a Garbage Plate. Third of all, YAYYAYAY NOW I CAN CROSS MY LEGS ALL I WANT!!

38 Courtney July 29, 2011 at 4:37 pm

LOL! Katelyn, you are hilarious :)

39 Sam July 29, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Those definitely count as a workout! I remember the ONE time I mowed my parents lawn with a manual mower. OMG I was dying. That is hard work. Same with shoveling feet of snow! Love the mowing shots :)
Also – REALLY?!?! about the varicose veins?! I never have had any but I work a desk job and always feel guilty about how much I cross my legs and worry that I will get those veins! Fewf. Now I can relax :)

40 Khushboo July 29, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Nice going with the lawn, believe it or not I am yet to mow a lawn! So far I’ve managed to escape it for 23 years! I’m so with you on the blueberry loving lately, I feel like I’m going to turn into Viola from Charlie and the Choc Factory ;)

41 Melissa July 29, 2011 at 5:53 pm

True Religion jeans are an important investment every woman should make. And 50% off is too good to pass up. Hope you did it!

42 Girl In The Pink July 29, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Friday nights in are always my fav, but an occasional night on the town is nice! :)

43 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 29, 2011 at 8:41 pm

You’re quite the yard worker! Thankfully since my husband owns a landscape business, I don’t ever hav eot do yard work. But I think I would rather spend 5 hours pushmowing!

44 Brienne July 29, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Friday nights at home! I spent mine baking up your wouldn’t-know-they-were-healthy blueberry muffins. YUM!

45 Lindsey July 29, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Five hours weeding. If you can believe it I have never mowed a lawn before!!
First dibs :)
At home – I usually workout Friday after work and am tired from the long work week. I like to go out Saturday nights more :)

46 Brittany July 29, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I would rather spend 5 hours weeding (I like mowing actually, but we have a self propelled mower so it makes mowing that much easier :D ), get the last laugh, and probably spend Friday night at home, but with some really good friends.

Two hours of yardwork is totally acceptable for a workout. & I’ve never heard of the whole crossing my legs=spider veins thing….interesting.

47 Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries July 29, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Yummm I’m going to make that garbage bread when my boyfriend comes to visit next week! As for the questions… I’d rather be weeding, get first dibss, and spend my friday at home with friends :)

48 Alexis July 30, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Haha I would much rather weed for 5 hours. You can take more breaks and still look like you’ve accomplished something. Lol I like the whole random post thing. Sometimes its so hard to read a blog that stays on one subject I’m really not interested in. Good job :)

-Alexis

49 Jen M. July 31, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I like the tangent posts!

I’d rather weed, get first dibs, and I ALWAYS prefer to stay home on Friday nights. Friday nights don’t seem like the weekend to me, they seem like the exhausting end of a long work week. Saturdays are for going out. :)