Celebrating Poolside with Friends

by Courtney on July 31, 2011

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again…I am so lucky to have such amazing people in my life!

This afternoon, Jay and I had some of our good friends over to hang out by the pool, enjoy the beautiful weather, and celebrate a couple of birthdays.

Mal’s birthday was today, while Jay’s birthday is tomorrow, so I forced both of them to wear these silly party hats so I could post about them this evening. They’re such troopers! Happy Birthday, Mal!

I should also mention (again) that Cody’s birthday is tomorrow, too. Yes, he shares his birthday with his dad. Isn’t that sweet? Winking smile

The majority of the afternoon pretty much consisted of swimming, drinking, snacking, and just having a darn good time.

IMG_6403IMG_6404

That right there would be the hubby. I’m such a proud wife. Winking smile

And this would be Mike, who is now getting his second appearance on the ‘ol bloggy.

YAY for fun with friends!

Eventually, the birthday cupcakes were brought out and enjoyed by all. I’m tellin’ you guys…I definitely may have to stick with the sprinkles on top. I mean, sprinkles do make everything better.

A little while later, the party moved inside for a bit while everyone got ready to head out for dinner.

And then, we were off to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que!

While waiting for a table, some of us enjoyed a beverage out on the patio. Knowing from the last time that we came here that they serve my favorite blueberry beer, I most definitely had to take part in that. It’s just so good.

While out on the patio, I also attempted to get a picture with “little” bro, which turned out to be more difficult than I expected…

Awww, I love my Dan. Smile

Eventually, we got ourselves a table (after realizing that we never really had to wait in the first place) and immediately…started sweating our faces off.

Oh.my.god. I honestly don’t think I have ever eaten a meal and been so incredibly hot in my entire life.

We had planned on sitting out on the patio, but I guess all of our time in the pool today misconstrued our thoughts on the actual temps…because it was H-O-T-T HOT!

Some of us, who will go unnamed, even resorted to extreme methods to fend off the sweat…

I can’t blame him though…I probably should have done the same thing.

For food, Kate and I shared a small order of Fried Green Tomatoes…because, umm, they’re amazing.

And for my dinner, I went full-on comfort food and ordered the Memphis Style Pulled BBQ Pork sandwich with sweet mashed potatoes and mac & cheese for my sides.

I made it through all of my sandwich and about half of my sides before calling it quits (the mac & cheese started to get kinda blah anyways). I think each and every one of us left the restaurant both a) profusely warm, and b) extremely full. Whew.

So while today was definitely not my healthiest day on record, I can honestly say that it really does not matter. As I say all the time…it’s all about balance. I had a blast with some great people, and will be ready to get back on track tomorrow…starting with my 5:45am BodyCombat class. I’m ready!

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend, too. Open-mouthed smile

Question for the Evening:

What was the highlight of your weekend?

What was your favorite indulgence of the weekend?

1 briana July 31, 2011 at 8:49 pm

that looks like a blast of a day! What time do you wake up to get the the gym for your class? I now have to be at work before 8 and am struggling to get up at 5 instead of 5:30 to work out!

2 Courtney July 31, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I’ll probably get up around 5:10 tomorrow…oooof! ;)

3 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 31, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Fun! …. Jay’s birthday tomorrow!!!! YAY!!!!
Great part of my weekend: looking forward to this week— it’s honeymoon re-do time!!!! HECK YES!!!! :P

4 Courtney July 31, 2011 at 8:59 pm

YAY!!!

5 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 31, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Oh my gosh, I had the sweatiest meal of my life today too. The oven had been on all afternoon making the Husband cookies, and then I made spaghetti squash – i was sweating eating it. Ugggh! Finally things have gotten cooler.

6 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries July 31, 2011 at 8:56 pm

It’s SO HOT outside! Cory and I thought it would be a good idea to go hiking today because it was “cool” at 9:00 this morning. “Cool” was about 75 – and it didn’t last. While that was fun, the highlight of my weekend was a friend’s wedding last night!

7 Blog is the New Black July 31, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Fried tomatoes… yum! Need to try those…

8 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life July 31, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I went out to dinner yesterday and we planned on sitting outside. Our walk from the parking lot to the restaurant left us super sweaty so we nixed our outdoor dining plans and sat in the cool AC.

I have that blueberry beer sitting in my fridge. It’s soo good!

9 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots July 31, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Looks like a lovely day! I spent mine by the pool as well, it is the best way to spend summer days :). I indulged in a ton of fro yo and had a lovely beach workout today!

I must agree with you 100% Sprinkles really do make everything better!!

10 briana July 31, 2011 at 9:26 pm

heres a tip…run to dairy queen and grab the nutter butter blizzard! So good!

11 Katie July 31, 2011 at 9:34 pm

My biggest indulgence of the weekend were seven layer bars. They were SO good, but def not good for you. Bringing the rest to work with me so they’re out of the house :)

P.S. Just started reading your blog and I love it!

12 Courtney July 31, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Awww, yay! Thanks, Katie! :-D

13 Lindsey July 31, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Our cat and my hubby share a birthday too :)
Highlight of my weekend was going out to my husband’s family reunion and seeing his grandparents! It was awesome weather and very relaxing too.
Indulgence of the weekend…the chocolate dipped macaroon I had on Friday!

14 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 31, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Aw that looks like such a fun day – minus the sweating at dinner. Ugh, I find it really hard to eat when I’m that hot! I think my highlight of the weekend was spending lots of time with my bf, and having his mom make us apple cinnamon pancakes this morning – thanks to Mama Pea’s recipe :)

15 Lindsey July 31, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I love your bathing suit! Where did you get it??

16 Courtney July 31, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Thanks! It’s from Target

17 Melissa July 31, 2011 at 9:42 pm

What an awesome celebration! I have a hard time eating when I’m that hot, but your dinner looks so good that I kind of get it! ;)

The best thing I ate this weekend was my single serve version of a chocolate lava cake. Healthified and all! It might have been the highlight, in fact!

18 Danica July 31, 2011 at 9:48 pm

oooh what a fun day! That pool looks amazing – it has been SO hot even in canada! Happy early birthday to Jay and Cody!

19 Liz @ iheartvegetables July 31, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Those diving board pictures are AWESOME!!! haha

20 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine July 31, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Happy birthday to Jay!! Those cupcakes you made look FANTASTIC.

Also, I just got caught up on your old posts and the fact that he made you a half birthday cake is freaking awesome. I need to find a hubby like that!

21 Jamie @ snacktress July 31, 2011 at 10:29 pm

What a fun day! I LOVE Dino BBQ. Happy birthday to your two boys!

22 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 31, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Looks like a wonderful day :D

23 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 31, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Favorite indulgence of the weekend: THAI DONUTS :D

24 Jess@atasteofconfidence July 31, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Looks like a great day! I went to my boyfriends for his fam reunion, so there were definitely a lot of treats!

25 Mallory @ It's Only Life July 31, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Looks like a great weekend! My biggest indulgence was probably lots of birthday cake at a bbq yesterday! I can’t resist the sweet stuff! :)

26 Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies July 31, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I had an awesome weekend! Highlights were: going to the fair with the bf, seeing a movie, and getting ice cream. My indulgences? Happy hour and the ice cream! :)

27 Janae Jacobs July 31, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Best day EVER!!! Happy Bday to Jay and Cody tomorrow!! That is so exciting:) Your cupcakes look amazing and I have never tried fried green tomatoes!!!! I think I might have to!

28 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 1, 2011 at 12:20 am

Looks like a really fun day! I’m definitely jealous of your pool, especially today with the temps. I was outside trimming trees & bushes while all the neighbors were in their respective pools. I wish we had one!

29 Grace August 1, 2011 at 1:12 am

Since I’m babysitting the best things we hav done is probably spent a total of 5 or 6 hours at the pool, 4 year olds are really fun at the pool! I really could just eat a plate full of sweet mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese.

30 Khushboo August 1, 2011 at 1:58 am

Looks like a great day and you’re so right- what’s one day’s worth of indulgences in the grand scheme of things! Happy birthday to Jay!

31 Crista leopardi August 1, 2011 at 6:56 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the hubby and the cute kitty :) LOVE your action diving board shots! Those are always so hard to get! ps, your husband is amazing for cooking up the half birthday cake, you two are adorable!

32 Holly August 1, 2011 at 9:26 am

What a FUN time!! I love the belly flop picture- haha :D
& I HATE eating when it’s so hot. It makes me enjoy my meal less..just because all that I think about is how HOT I am, rather than how the food tastes.
Oh, blueberry beer….YUM! That is my favorite too :) Have you tried SeaDog blueberry beer? SO GOOD!

33 Courtney August 1, 2011 at 9:29 am

Yes! It is pretty good…but this one is still my favorite :)

34 Erica August 1, 2011 at 10:18 am

Is Cody’s “birthday” the day you found him? That’s what I did with my pug… his “birthday,” since it’s technically unknown, was the day I got him at the shelter!

My favorite indulgence from this weekend? My aunt made my grandmother’s pound cake! YUM!

35 Claire August 1, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Fun weekend! Yay for outdoor activities and beer and comfort foods!!

36 Shayla @ The Good Life August 1, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Yep that’s why I love the weekends…it’s all about balance…with that said I definitely enjoyed my fair share of Smore’s ice cream! Ooph! ;)

Btw, love your bathing suit, too cute!

37 Laura @ Cookies vs. Carrots August 1, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Looks like a great day at the pool! I love that grey dress you are wearing!