Full Of Tangents, Take Two

by Courtney on August 1, 2011

Ohhhh boy, I’m full of tangents again tonight!

Only this time, I’m not even going to attempt to make them all mesh together. Sorry, you’ll just have to deal with me. Orrr, I suppose you could stop reading at this point, but what would be the fun in that? You might miss a seriously fun tangent.

-Protein pancakes for lunch may be one of my new favorite things. Not only are they delicious, but they keep me full for hours.

-I tried on a pair of my dress pants today. I have not done this since March. It wasn’t pretty friends…it wasn’t pretty.

-Yet almost immediately after, I went back and finished off the last piece of my half birthday cake. Yup…half of a cake…demolished in three days…by hubby and me. I’m a mess.

-The cupcakes that I sent Jay in with this morning for his birthday were gone before lunch. I’m impressed. Smile

-Cody has been so stinkin’ cute today. So cute, in fact, that I couldn’t even yell at him when I found him on the counter…again. I blame it on birthday guilt.

IMG_6414-1

-I attempted to begin updating the Wedding Page today! I noticed that the pictures were loading ridiculously slow, so I decided to do a little “maintenance work.” So far, I’ve only made it through the “Courtney & Jay” page, but I’m getting there.

image

-Tonight, hubby has a softball game, so that’s how we’ll be celebrating his birthday. It’s a little different from last year, but I’m sure we’ll have fun. On the other hand, I’d really love it if that same dinner and ice cream cake was placed in front of me right now!

image

-I have been craving this smoothie all day long, and have been reminded time and time again that I am a) out of blueberries, and b) out of frozen bananas. I need to fix this ASAP.

-I’m thinking that I need to make my first batch of donuts tomorrow with my new pan. Any requests out there??

-I spent some time looking through some of my older recipes today. It always makes me squirm a little, looking back on some of my old “photography skillz” and my extreme over usage of smiley faces and exclamation marks (I’m trying real hard to tone those down! Oh, crap…). Yikes. Even still, here’s some of my old favorites that some of my newer readers (Helloooo!) may not be familiar with…

-I’m about to head out to hubby’s game, knowing full well that there is going to be pizza and cake afterwards (shhhh, hubby doesn’t know!). I’m going to try my best to keep myself in check…maybe I should just wear my dress pants as a friendly reminder?

I’ll fill ya’ll in tomorrow on how I do! If you’re still reading at this point, thanks for sticking with me through my tangents. I owe ya one…maybe in recipe form? Winking smile

Question for the Evening:

Hypothetically speaking…let’s just say you try on a pair of pants for the first time in a long time and realize they’re quite snug. Hypothetical, of course…

What’s your first reaction and/or course of action?

1 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 1, 2011 at 6:16 pm

STOP girl you are so hot!!! I think the pants are the ones with the issue ;) But if that happened to me I would probably cut down on the sugar and saturated fat (with the exception of coconut), animal products, anddddd work out more. I love yo tangents! Some old posts make me cringe too :/

2 Andrea @ Onion in My Hair August 1, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I am SO glad you posted that recipe for the Veggie Stacks…I will be making those very, very soon!

PS – I agree with Katelyn above. You are gorgeous! Enjoy your cake!!!

3 Claire August 1, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Oh the blessed dress pants…gotta love it. Hypothetically, my instant response is FREAK OUT, wonder who “dried” my pants (although no one does my laundry but me), and then try to drink boat loads of water, consume less sugar, and up my protein intake….hypothetically of course ;-)

Have fun celebrating tonight!

4 Meg August 1, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I’ve been loving protein pancakes lately as well :)

I find all of your posts perfect, Courtney :) But I totally do the same thing about my old posts – look through ‘em and criticize the heck outta myself!

Enjoy your evening, lovely!

5 gabriella @ embracement August 1, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Hypothetically my response is to be really annoyed with myself because I typically don’t buy a lot of pants (dress, jeans etc) and so when I do I splurge to make sure they look great. Anddd I hate wasting money…I’d watch my eating habits for a couple days and cut out the mindlessly snacking that I’m known for.

6 Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters August 1, 2011 at 6:37 pm

don’t worry about the pants… just focus on how cool your donut pan is!!

7 Crista leopardi August 4, 2011 at 11:50 am

I love this advice!

8 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 1, 2011 at 6:38 pm

First reaction? Think about a million excuses why that could be (that time of the month, pants shrunk, whatever). Second reaction? Realize I’m just fooling myself and decide to get back on track. :)

9 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 1, 2011 at 6:38 pm

As long as I KNEW I still had a relatively healthy and active lifestyle, I would say screw the pants! :D

10 Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun August 1, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Thanks for posting some old(er) recipes. I’m a new reader so I must go check them out!

11 Courtney August 1, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Awesome!! Hope you find some you like! :)

12 Shayla @ The Good Life August 1, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Love your tangents :) And I too am waaay guilty of putting too many exclamations points and smiley, winky faces on my blog….I love it though! Ooph, there I go again ;)

I’ve done that before with the dress pants…and threw them out, ha! Seriously though, that did happen to me and I tossed them b/c I realized that I’d never get down to that weight again and it would mean I’d have to deprive myself…even though it was only about 5-10 lbs…I’d much rather have my happiness and health then try to get down to an unrealistic weight…so I went out and bought new ones, and have been much happier (and kept my sanity) ever since ;)

Btw, from your pics over the weekend, girl you are smokin’ hot and I say to hell with the pants and burn ‘em ;) Buuut, if it’s some pounds you really want to lose, then the course of action I’d take is to reevaluate my eats and see if I’m getting adequate amounts of protein, fats and carbs so that I’m not too snacky and craving sweet foods…keeping my nutrients balanced ensures that I won’t overeat in the evenings and weekends :)

13 Courtney August 1, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Shayla, you are too sweet. Thank you so much, girl :)

14 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie August 1, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I think you are just getting more muscle because you have ramped your workouts up so much! Enjoy hubbys bday din :)

15 Corey @ Family Fresh Meals August 1, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Love the sprinkles on the rim look! I will have to give that a try. I think for the donuts… you should do some almond/vanilla mix. mmmmmmmm

My reaction the the tight pants…. oh crap. I need to workout extra hard this week… and drink a ton of water! :)

16 Kelly August 1, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I think you look great so if those hypothetical pant were hypothetically too small then I would say that you shouldn’t worry because you look amazing!

17 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries August 1, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I second that!

18 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 1, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I third it!

19 Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes August 1, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I fourth it! You look fabulous girl!

20 Courtney August 1, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Ahhhhhh, yikes! You ladies are all amazing…thank you so much :-D

21 Camilla August 2, 2011 at 9:22 am

I fifth it! :D

22 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled August 1, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I feel ya on the tight dress pants. Ever since my wedding in April, I’ve gained weight. Not pretty either!
It didn’t stop me from buying that exact same doughnut pan several weeks ago. The regular donut recipe that came on the packaging is so good especially when you add bacon bits to it and top with a maple glaze. Oh yummers!

23 Liz @ IHeartVegetables August 1, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Hahaha I use WAY too many exclamation points. I’m just that kind of person! haha

24 sara @ the foodie diaries August 1, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I love the tangent post! I can actually imagine you saying this things and jumping around from subject to subject hahaha And please, I’m an exclamation point whore, I used them waaaaay too much ;)

25 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries August 1, 2011 at 7:45 pm

If I tried on a pair of pants that didn’t fit, I would have cried a little, and then eaten half a cake.

I’m not even kidding.

If/when I get to that point I think “Well shit. What’s this one more indulgence going to do? Make my pants not fit?”

They’ll feel loose again next week! Don’t sweat it! :D

26 Courtney August 1, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Hahahaha, ohhh Colleen. I love you :)

27 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 1, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Hypothetically, If I were dealing with this exact same thing – I would be trying to cut out mindless eating / snacking.

28 Caitlin @ Southern Curls & Pearls August 1, 2011 at 7:50 pm

The donut pan is sooo cool! Can’t wait to see what you come up with :)

29 Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies August 1, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I’m always horrified when my dress pants fit snug, so I just try to eat better/healthier and work out for an extra 15 or 20 minutes at the gym. I don’t kill myself, but I take care of it!

30 Kathryn August 1, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I’d probably try to pay a little more attention to my eating for the next week but not freak out too much because its not worth it!

31 megan @ whatmegansmaking August 1, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I just had to leave a comment and let you know it’s my husband’s birthday today as well! He requested blueberry pancakes for dinner haha :)

32 Courtney August 1, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Awww, happy birthday to YOUR hubby! :-D

33 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 1, 2011 at 8:39 pm

You’re gorgeous! Don’t worry about it- but I know “don’t worry about it” is unrealistic, so… I’d probably take 10 minutes to flip out/worry, then be rational about it. I would tell myself: You have the knowledge to lose a few pounds, you are already in shape and can withstand intense workouts, so all that’s left to do is… DO IT! It only takes a few weeks to get back to where you want to be :)

34 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 1, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Oh my gosh, chocolate donuts of some sort please! Your blog posts are always awesome! I hope mine can keep getting better :). Have fun celebrating with your birthday boys!

35 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 1, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Well, seeing as that is a hypothetical question and has NEVER happened to me (insert sarcasm here)… um, I get upset. Then I realize I felt fine about myself before I put on said pants. So I go out and buy new ones.

36 Brenda@ Baby on the Way August 1, 2011 at 9:26 pm

First of all, the crab quesadillas are delicious! My husband and I had them a few months ago, and they ROCKED. I liked how different they were from anything we’d ever had. Secondly, on the pants issue, I agree with most of the commenters above: my initial reaction would be to workout more and cut out snacking(for me, those snacks would be chips and ice cream!).

37 Lindsey August 1, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Ah, it’s no biggie, but I would start to increase the intensity of a couple workouts during the week and try and keep treats to a couple a a week ;)

I am so jealous of your donut pan! I say something summery for sure.

38 Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes August 1, 2011 at 9:52 pm

The tangent posts are awesome. Friends of mine tell me when they read my blog they can hear me telling the story, so if a story is full of tangents, then so be it!

Hypothetically, that happened to a “friend” of mine. What did she do? She bought new pants. LOL

Honestly, 10 years ago I was too skinny, a year ago I was too heavy, now I love my body so if a pair of pants doesn’t, because maybe I had one too many cupcakes or glasses of wine? I don’t sweat it. I know I live a healthy life and I know I work my butt off, and I know that (unfortunately) I’m not 19 anymore, so I just go with the flow. As long as I continue to stay healthy, I dont let my clothing size dictate my life. (Especially because I love to shop in junior’s and they’re just not made for anyone with hips, so the size is always bigger HAHA!)

39 Courtney August 1, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Glad you’re liking the tangent posts! I’m having fun with them :)

40 Katherine August 1, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Hypothetically speaking, I really don’t need that to happen to me right now.

41 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) August 1, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I recently tried on my dress pants too…double ouch.

Who cares…..I want that donut pan!!! I’m sure that will help me fit into my pants again.

And I’m super guily of over use of exclammation points and smiley faces. :) :)

42 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 1, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Hmmm, well honestly I think my first reaction would be to panic.

I still doubt that’d last too long, though, and would shortly thereafter be replaced with some logic (did I just drink a soda? How about a beer? is it late in the day? How am I feeling? Did I just get back from vacation?) and then determination (ok, real talk, back in the game.)

43 Grace August 2, 2011 at 12:13 am

Hypothetically….I might freak out, I’m not a good influence. Speaking as a hypothetical outside party might I add you look awesome:)

44 Khushboo August 2, 2011 at 12:53 am

If this were to happen…hypothetically but of course…i would blame in on the wash…apparently the laundry shrinks clothes! haha jokes aside, i would cut back on treats for a bit and limit myself to perhaps 1 a day!..but to be honest, you have never sounded happier so i would buy new pants!

45 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 2, 2011 at 7:38 am

I have about five pairs of jeans like that now. It sucks because trying them on makes me feel less than great about myself, but when I look at pictures of myself two years ago I’m reminded of why that gain was a GOOD thing. Thin = okay. Being the “weirdly skinny girl” = not good!

46 Whitney August 2, 2011 at 8:12 am

Cut out sweets!! (Easier said than done) :)

47 Mandee @ Mandeelicious August 2, 2011 at 9:34 am

i think you look fantastic – i don’t think you should even give those pants another thought. just keep doing what you’re doing. you’re healthy and you’re fit.

on another note – i tried to make the protein pancakes – followed the recipe exactly but they were very runny and not thick like that at all. what am i doing wrong? do you think it’s because i didn’t use that brand of protein powder?

48 Courtney August 2, 2011 at 9:40 am

Hmmm, I’m not sure? I’ve never tried it with other protein powder before, but I thought on her post that any powder would work? Sorry I can’t be of more help!

49 Helen August 2, 2011 at 10:35 am

Honestly, it makes me feel depressed! I am kind of in that stage right now. About 2 years ago I had gotten to a weight that I was not happy with so I started working out, eating right, and lost 30 pounds! Now, I have put back on some of the weight and am working hard to get it off. So far not that much luck but even if snug pants makes me depressed, it does give a little boost of motivation.

50 kristen August 2, 2011 at 11:28 am

sweets…..yum!!
I am at the point where my clothes are snug. But you start each day moving and hope you can get it together and stay on track haha

51 Crista leopardi August 2, 2011 at 12:28 pm

in this hypothetical snug pant world I would first let myself freak out for ten minutes, then remember that I’d been doing body pump and perhaps put on muscle and then take them off and bury them in my cupboard to be tried on again ONLY after I’d had the flu :) and maybe buy new cute dress pants if I really needed dress pants. At the end of the day if I’m working out regularly eating healthy and drinking lots of water I do my best to chalk it up to summer vacation season and just cut down on extra snackage but usually that naturally subsides after the birthday or christmas season for me anyway so I just step away from the pants for a few months :)