A Winning Day At The Track

by Courtney on August 4, 2011

It was another beautiful day to be spent at the Saratoga Race Track! As usual, the crowds were hustlin’ and bustlin’ for a Thursday afternoon.

It almost makes you wonder…how many of these people called into work sick today? Don’t worry, nobody in our group did such a thing; and heck, half of the group works in a school so they didn’t even need to worry about it anyway. Winking smile

Our group started out with five, but eventually grew to about 10 by the end of the day.

I was quite excited that our friends Brook and Andrea were able to make it up with little Brody; I haven’t seen him since we went to visit him as a newborn in the hospital. I couldn’t believe how big he is already!

Also in attendance was “little bro” Dan and his friend Joe, who brought along two of his specialty homemade garbage breads (See? I told you it was a family thing!)

While they may be a little funky lookin’, they were anything but funny tasting. I had the heel off of his buffalo chicken bread, and I will have to give him credit here.

He did one heck of a job on this bread. Holy cow!

For a more substantial lunch, Jay and I actually stopped on the way up to the track to pick up a couple of subs. I ordered turkey with provolone, lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, and mustard.

The picture really doesn’t do this thing justice, because the sub was enormous. I ended up eating half for lunch and saved the other half for dinner, which I’m actually eating right now as I type this. Smile

Now normally, most people go to the track, obviously, to bet on the ponies. I, however, like to go to hang out, people watch, and try to pick out fun horse names for other people to bet on.

If I’m going to bet, it’s got to be on a name that really stands out to me. Well, in the 3rd race there was a horse by the name of “Flashy in Pink” that totally caught my attention. So I grabbed two dollars, and bet it to win.

For this race, a few of us decided to head up to the rail to watch the action firsthand. It was hot. Really hot.

But I still always enjoy going up for at least one race; not just for the horses, but because there’s usually even better opportunities to people watch.

Within a few minutes, the race was OFF and I was excited!

Heyyyy, would ya look at that! My brother turned out to be a winner!

Me & Mal on the other hand? Not so much…

So much for my whopping $2.00. This is why I don’t gamble. Winking smile

Luckily, there was still a small ray of sunshine in my defeat; I was able to coerce my winning brother into treating his favorite sister to a coffee coolatta (made with skim milk) from Dunkin Donuts. It totally made up for the $2.00 that I lost.

In the last race before we left, hubby ended up with a pretty sweet victory for himself, which left him a very happy camper.

So, all in all, it was a winner of a day…even if I didn’t have any celebrity sightings! Winking smile

Now, after getting up so early this morning for BodyPump, followed by being in the sun all day, I am quite pooped. Time to go wind down on the couch for the evening…

Hope everyone had a great Thursday!

Question for the Evening:

Do you ever gamble? (lotto tickets, horse racing, casinos?) If so, what’s the most you’ve ever won?

1 Shayla @ The Good Life August 4, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I never ever gamble, I have such bad luck! However I continue to play the lotto ;)

That sub looks insanely delish…the bread looks so doughy and yummy! And I’m a people watcher too…hubby always catches me in the act of it and makes fun of me for it ;)

2 Catherine August 4, 2011 at 7:21 pm

ahhh where was your oversized floppy hat with an awesome dead stuffed bird hanging off it!!!?? you totally could have pulled that off gracefully haha

3 sweet and savvy August 4, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Looks like a great day! Buffalo chicken bread?? Wow. Jealous of That and the Dublin’s!

4 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 4, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Buffalo Chicken Bread ? Recipe please!

5 Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters August 4, 2011 at 7:45 pm

aww that looks like so much fun! I gambled once in vegas playing blackjack and was up $60 but then I lost it all… ooh and another time in vegas I played with the guys at a poker table (CONSERVATIVE PLAY = success) on a $100 table i played for about 1.5 hours and left $40 richer!

6 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 4, 2011 at 8:06 pm

What a fun day! I am not much of a gambler but my manfriend really enjoys the Vegas scene. A lot of his relatives live there but I have never gone! Hopefully sometime soon. For now, I will stick to my occasional lotto tickets (like once or twice a year). lol.

7 Cute~Ella August 4, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I love the track and am going on Saturday (taking a some friends who haven’t been before and meeting an old friend and some of his group too) I like to bet this way http://bit.ly/oQr2EF and I usually make out ok.I’ve also discovered that putting $2 to show on the horse my friends toddler picked worked out ok too – about doubled my money there.

My best bet was picking a horse named Pop’s Shotgun with a jockey named Kara (who is my Mini Me) and I won about $170 on that one with a $5 to win. Total long shot and I cleaned up.

8 Amy @ My Life as a Lazy Girl August 4, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I live in Vegas, but am not much of gambler (crazy I know). Before I moved here and was visiting a friend, I won $200 off a $.05 bet in video poker with a royal flush. I think that’s probably going to be the extent of my gambling luck.

9 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 4, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I never win when I gamble. I have gone to Vegas before and I never won a dime.

10 April @ Motor City Runner August 4, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I have only went to a casino once in my life….in Canada. I only used 5 bucks. My money’s mine!! :) I actually ened up winning 100 bucks though.

11 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 4, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I don’t much care for horse racing ever since owning a horse..but if I did go I’d be right along with you with betting on the horses with the coolest names. :P

12 Pure2raw twins August 4, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I have gambled before, though never real big money, too scared I guess. I won a few bucks before and than put it all back in and lost it all :( I guess that is gambling for ya haha

~Lori

13 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 4, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I have that green long dress your friend is wearing! Old Navy :D

14 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy August 4, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I’ve never gambled. I would like to go to the casino at least one time though, just for fun!

15 Lee @ in the pink of condition August 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I went to the Belmont Stakes and lost $40, but it was the most fun thing ever! I’m not a huge gambler, but I have to say that going to the horsetrack is a hell of a lot more fun than the casino, because at least you get to see a show (or at least people watch)!

16 Brynn August 4, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Looks like fun! I have no luck gambling either. Oh well, it is fun when there’s only a few dollars involved.

17 Ashley@MyFoodFitnessFun August 4, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I never gamble or anything…the chances are so slim, I feel like it’s just not worth it. A couple bucks here and there are fun sometimes though.

I’m really going to have try one of those garbage breads some time very soon. They look amazing!

18 Khushboo August 4, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I once won £50 in a lottery scratch card! Besides that I hardly gamble, especially after losing 100 bucks in Vegas last year- damn black jack!

19 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 5, 2011 at 12:00 am

I never gamble yet, still say things like “when we win the lotto one day…” haha.
I actually was in Vegas for 5 days and didn’t bet a penny!

20 Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 5, 2011 at 5:07 am

Looks like fun! I’ve been to the races a few times but I only make tiny bets. I don’t enjoy the prospect of losing my money!

21 Sarah @ Practice Princess August 5, 2011 at 6:46 am

Shopping is my gambling! It’s still a mild addiction but with better odds :)

22 anazar August 5, 2011 at 9:10 am

Wow, what a day!
I am a bad gambler too, luck is going round and round but never hit me with her full power. I am lucky otherwise ;-)

23 Kelly August 5, 2011 at 9:19 am

I don’t usually gamble just because I feel like it is kinda addicting! ha! But with that said I did win $400 off a scratch off that my mom put in my Christmas stocking a few years ago.

24 Faith @ For the Health of It August 5, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I’m really not a big gambler, but my boyfriend did take me to the dog tracks a month or so ago. I walked in with $10 and out with $30…I was pretty freakin’ excited!

25 Claire August 5, 2011 at 4:08 pm

This looks like SUCH a fun time! I was actually watching Secretariat last night…such a horse-filled day! AND on TV while I am typing this is a horse (E-news) that got sick and passed out while carrying a buggy. This is just too strange!!