Early Morning Challenges

by Courtney on August 9, 2011

Can I just tell you how difficult it is to want to prepare yourself a healthy, nutritious breakfast when you’re surrounded by these

and these?

Talk about a challenge first thing in the morning!

This morning, I hit the gym bright and early for some cardio + BodyPump. Since I missed yesterday’s usual BodyCombat + upper weights, I figured I’d hit up the ‘pump today. I completed 15 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill before tackling what turned out to be quite a challenging class…but totally in a good way!

So as if that wasn’t already enough of a challenge this morning, I then come home and am faced with that challenge you see right up there. Man oh man.

If you’re wondering why in the world I’m baking cookies at 7am in the morning (not that that’s a bad thing) it’s because I’m getting ready to send out the goodies to the winning bidder from TGFA. In addition to a batch of my beloved Crackled Sugar Cookies, she will also be getting a batch of Jessica’s Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips. Lucky gal!

Breakfast

You guys should be proud of me. Look at the healthy, nutritious breakfast I managed to make myself while those cookies were baking away in the oven.

As usual when I make the Crackled Sugar Cookies, I am always left with 3 unused egg whites. And since we all know that nothing goes to waste up in here, I put them to good use. However, the peanut butter cookies also left me with another egg white, so you know what that means folks…

A whopping 4 egg white veggie scramble! This bad boy was filled up with green pepper, onion, and some fresh cherry tomatoes. I also gave it a little sprinkle of dried basil, salt, and pepper…absolutely delish!

I paired my scramble with a piece of toast with raspberry jam and a glass of iced coffee.

And believe it or not, I’m actually not even tempted to go dig into those cookies right now.

But that’s also because I’m not currently in the same room as them either. Winking smile

Questions for the Morning:

WOULD YOU RATHER…(we’ve got a mix today!)

• Eat peanut butter cookies -OR- sugar cookies? (Sugar- these are the bomb)
  • Be gossiped about -OR- never talked about at all? (be gossiped about…I dealt with it all through elementary/middle/high school, so I think I can handle it!)
  • Eat a handful of hair -OR- lick three public telephones? (<—isn’t that naaasty?!? I’ll have to go for the handful of hair…but it still makes me gag a little)

1 Khushboo August 9, 2011 at 9:03 am

I’m not a savory person for breakfast but that would make an ideal lunch for me! As much as I love cooking, I’m yet to make a tasty plate of scrambled egg whites….I know it’s completely amateur to ask but any chance of a recipe?

2 Courtney August 9, 2011 at 9:40 am

I usually add a splash of milk to my egg whites and whip them up a bit in a bowl (or mug) with a fork. Then I add in whatever veggies I’m adding, pour it into a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray, and then just keep on scramblin’ them up with a spatula. Easy peasy! :)

3 Khushboo August 9, 2011 at 9:55 am

Super easy! Thanks :)…will give it a go tomorrow night for dinner!

4 Amy August 9, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Adding milk to eggwhites sounds yummy I’ll have to try that tomorrow.
I’m def a peanut butter girl all the way!!!

5 gabriella @ embracement August 9, 2011 at 9:05 am

Yum I could go for a good veggie scramble.

PB cookie
Be gossiped about
And i’m gagging at this one but a guess hair…as long as it was mine

6 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 9, 2011 at 9:05 am

I need to try your sugar cookies – they look delish!

7 Bethany August 9, 2011 at 9:08 am

Eat peanut butter cookies -OR- sugar cookies? Is both an option? :)
Be gossiped about~I’m sure people do it on a daily basis, I work with all girls!!
Eat a handful of hair~I work at a salon, I’m sure I eat hair all day long!!

8 Corey @ Family Fresh Meals August 9, 2011 at 9:11 am

Your questions crack me up!

Sugar cookies
To be gossiped about
I agree…. handful of hair (I am hoping it is mine!!)

PS.. Great job with the healthy meal and workout!

9 Rachel @ A Little Ray of Sunshine August 9, 2011 at 9:11 am

I always love your questions Courtney!

PB Cookies all the way. Peanut butter and I have a deep love for each other! :)
I would rather never be talked about at all. I HATE gossip, hate it.
I would rather lick 3 public telephones. Both are equally gross, but at least licking is quick. Eating hair would take a long time to get down!

10 Faith @ For the Health of It August 9, 2011 at 9:12 am

I totally ditto all of your answers and reasoning!

11 Courtney August 9, 2011 at 9:40 am

Good point with the licking being quick…haha, even still!

12 Blog is the New Black August 9, 2011 at 9:15 am

Those cookies look delish!

13 Ashley@MyFoodFitnessFun August 9, 2011 at 9:16 am

I’d have to choose peanut butter cookies over sugar, but it’s a close call. I have an undying love for peanut butter! :)

I would say not talked about at all… I hate gossip.

Lick three public telephones. Both make me want to gag though.

14 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 9, 2011 at 9:18 am

Good for you, eating a wholesome breakfast while surrounded by cookies. I’m not sure that I would be able to do the same.. haha

15 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 9, 2011 at 9:19 am

I *LOVE* egg scrambles – I think I’d throw some salsa on there too! I don’t think I could pick between any of your this or that’s today… all too hard!

16 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 9, 2011 at 9:21 am

Great question lineup this morning!!

Sugar cookies for me, just never really got into the PB craze….
Gossip all the time. Keeps people on their toes, and they never know what exactly is true (what can I say? I’m a woman of mystery.)
Lick the phones, absolutely.

Trichophagia (the compulsive eating of hair) is muy muy disgusting to me. Then the hair can turn into a bezoar (yes, just like in Harry Potter!) and I just want nothing to do with it.

(this comment brought to you by the overly interested in hair eaters association.)

17 Courtney August 9, 2011 at 9:41 am

LOL – your comment really did make me laugh out loud :)

18 Sweet and Savvy August 9, 2011 at 9:25 am

As much as I LOVE PB, sugar cookies are the best. :)

I’d rather be gossiped about.. I can take it!

19 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life August 9, 2011 at 9:26 am

Sugar cookies fo sho!
Not talked about at all. Gossip sucks and people can be hurtful.
Lick telephones and proceed to eat hand sanitizer to disinfect my mouth.

20 Emmarie @ Bananas And Beer August 9, 2011 at 9:27 am

I would pick the sugar cookies, perhaps with some M&M’s in ‘em.
The gossip stinks, but I certainly wouldn’t want to EVER be talked about.
And both are GR-O-SS, but I’d say eat the hair too.

We probably eat alot more in our lifetime than we think we do.

21 Freya August 9, 2011 at 9:33 am

How do you come up with these would-you-rathers!? They’re fabulous!
I’d go: PB cookies, be gossiped about (I’ve had it, and it sucks..but then it would suck more to be forgotten about and ignored!) annnd…ergh the last one is tough. I’d say public telephone, cos I could mouthwash after, but I’d have an awful stomach ache after a load of hair!

22 Freya August 9, 2011 at 9:34 am

Ooh and your link to the sugar cookie recipe goes to the PB ones too :(

23 Courtney August 9, 2011 at 9:44 am

Ohhh POO!!
Thanks, Freya…it’s all fixed now :)

24 Brittany August 9, 2011 at 9:37 am

I’d have to go with the PB cookies.. anything with pb calls out to me
Be gossiped about
Lick three telephone poles.. as gross as that is, hair freaks me out!

25 Steph @ Running in the Kitchen August 9, 2011 at 9:47 am

Sugar
Gossip
Lick the telephone (but I just threw up in my mouth a bit thinking about it!!!!!)

26 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 9, 2011 at 9:54 am

Ahhhh I would be dying until I ate something! Ahaha I want that scramble, liiiike right now. Girl SUGAH cookies!! Definitely gossiped about — I’ve dealt with it so much that I’m so over it. And I would rather lick the public telephones!!!

27 Hannah August 9, 2011 at 9:57 am

breakfast looks yummy.
i do not know how you don’t eat more of those cookies.
look yummy.
sugar
talked about
ugh neither..i think lick telephone poles. hair.. ugh makes me gag.

28 Cait @ Cait hates Cake August 9, 2011 at 9:59 am

Peanut Butter Cookies!
Be gossiped about
Lick Public Telephones – ugh sick, I’m totally grossed out even thinking about it!

29 Claire August 9, 2011 at 10:00 am

1. Sugar cookies for sure!
2. Be gossiped about for sure.
3. Eat a handful of my own hair…if it had to be someone elses hair I may die!!

30 Ruthie Hart August 9, 2011 at 10:00 am

come onnnnnn…..making my mouth water for sweets at 9am?! :-)

31 Shayla @ The Good Life August 9, 2011 at 10:29 am

Wow do those cookies look delish!

I’d eat peanut butter cookies…although if I tried your sugar cookies it may change my mind ;)

Be gossiped about – I dealt with it all through my teens too so I think I could handle it as well.

I’d lick three public telephones – very quickly!

32 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 9, 2011 at 10:34 am

Way to never waste! It worked out well for you! :)
Sugar cookies, be gossiped about, and like the public telephones… The 2nd one was HARD! I don’t know, I’m such a people pleaser that this one kills me!

33 Lindsey August 9, 2011 at 10:39 am

I love the PB but, am not always a fan of the cookies (you know how they can be too dry?!), but sugar cookies are always good!
Be gossiped about, I have survived much worse ;)
Lick 2 phones, not even sure what to say here, haha

34 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 9, 2011 at 10:45 am

I hate when recipes call for just whites or just yolks b/c I inevitably end up throwing something out! Usually the dog gets the yolk if it calls for just whites. She likes those days :)
Pb cookies (especially Jessica’s!), be gossiped about (I’d just throw down with the gossipers ;)) and lick the phones, I guess the worst that could happen would be getting sick right?

35 Jennie @ Designed to be Fit August 9, 2011 at 11:01 am

This is why I have to chew gum when I’m baking and for basically an hour after they are done. I would dominate those!

WOULD YOU RATHER…(we’ve got a mix today!)

Eat peanut butter cookies -OR- sugar cookies? PB FOREVER.

Be gossiped about -OR- never talked about at all? probably be gossiped about. It means I’m doing something interesting!

Eat a handful of hair -OR- lick three public telephones? this makes me want to throw up those peanut butter cookies. (I’ll go with phone, I can sanitize afterwards.)

36 Girl in the pink August 9, 2011 at 11:09 am

Sugar cookies!

I’d rather be gossiped about – if no ones talking about you, you’re playing it too safe!!

37 pat August 9, 2011 at 11:17 am

PB cookies, be talked about, and are there even any public telephones left???

38 Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 9, 2011 at 11:18 am

sugar cookies, gossiped about, lick the public phones. (as it would be difficult to FIND three)

39 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 9, 2011 at 11:20 am

Sugar cookies (I’m allergic to peanuts!), gossiped about (it usually just means people are jealous :) ) and lick telephones (I can’t imagine swallowing that much hair, just thinking about it makes me gag)

40 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! August 9, 2011 at 11:21 am

sugar cookies. Those ones look amazing and I cant wait to make some!
Gossiped about… and I would rather lick a public phone too as gross as it is, but hair grosses it out and i dont think i could eat it haha

41 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl August 9, 2011 at 11:28 am

I admire your restrain with those cookies. How is that possible? I’d eat them in a second over the egg whites :-)

PS – I just got my first box of Fiber One 80 Calorie Cereal (I’ve seen you eat it a few times on here). I was sooo excited to finally find a box in NYC. And I succeeded and didn’t eat the whole box last night! Winner :-)

42 Lizzie August 9, 2011 at 11:37 am

Ohmygosh those cookies look to die for. I’d rather eat PB ones (im a nut butter addict…) and lick the telephone pole (EW!), and be gossiped about. I’m also pretty used to it! :P

43 Danielle Spellman @ Squirrel Snackin' August 9, 2011 at 11:40 am

Egg white scrambles are my favoriteee, especially with spinach and salsa! I definitely wouldn’t have been able to resist those cookies though. :)

44 Camilla August 9, 2011 at 11:42 am

I agree with your answers! Are there even any more public phones?? :) And MMMM to those cookies!

45 Katelyn@ Foodie Goes to School August 9, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Those egg scrambles will be making their way to my plate for lunch today. DELISH!

46 Jess@atasteofconfidence August 9, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Definitely peanut butter cookies, and gossiped about (but this one was hard), and lick telephones. I guess:/ haha

47 Sarah @ Simply Dove August 9, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Oh my gosh! I wasn’t expecting that last question! Haha!!

I think I’d rather be gossiped about because I lick public telephones then eat PB cookies to get the taste out of my mouth! :)

48 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 9, 2011 at 12:31 pm

How do you like Body Combat? I’ve never taken it but am thinking about becoming certified just so we can bring it to my gym. I used to take fitness kickboxing and LOVED it so I’m sure I’d love Body Combat, too.

49 Courtney August 9, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I really enjoy it! I like the kickboxing part of it, but sometimes I feel like “awkward” doing the tai chi parts of it. Overall though, it’s still a great workout and I still can’t believe how sore it leaves me!

50 Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly August 9, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Those cookies look UNREAL! Cookies are my ultimate weakness!

Oh yea.. the eggs looked good too :) LOL

51 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled August 9, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I’ll totally go with the peanut butter cookies. And adding chocolate chips to them? Yummy yums.
And you have great will power if you don’t even have one of those!

52 colleen August 9, 2011 at 12:42 pm

1. peanut butter! YUMMY!
2. Never be talked about at all-I too went through being gossiped about in elementary/high school and unlike you Courtney I don’t think I could ever go through it again! You’re much stronger than I am! :)
3. Yuck-neither. But if I had to choose hair at least I know where that comes from…

53 Jaclyn @therealhealthwife August 9, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Good for you for resisting the cookies, I don’t know if I could be that strong!
1. Peanut Butter Cookies -they are my favorite!
2. Gossiped about definitely, I can handle it :)
3. Ew both make me want to puke but I think I would lick the phone

54 Diana August 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Peanut butter cookies – my grandma’s recipe!

I would rather be gossiped about – like you, I’m used to it! Haters gonna hate.

That third one is so hard…I am a big texture person so the thought of putting hair in my mouth makes me want to die, but I also live in NYC and see some very grotesque public phones – my gag reflex is preventing me from answering this one!!

55 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 9, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Oh my goodness…you have me seriously craving cookies! I would go with peanut butter cookies, being gossiped about, and eating a handful of hair. You never know what kind of diseases are on a phone. Germaphobe over here! :P

56 Sarah@Spinach&Spice August 9, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I finally found another person who likes veggies for breakfast! green bell pepper strips in dippy eggs are my “go-to” as of now. I crave the crunch in the morning! and would much rather have my oatmeal for dinner or dessert ;)

57 Courtney August 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Hahaha, don’t let this breakfast fool you Sarah…I’d say 85% of the time I’m usually into the sweeter breakfasts ;)

58 sarah@spinach and spice August 9, 2011 at 5:27 pm

haha oh man I’m a new reader.. I shouldn’t have come to conclusions so quickly. but hence the blog name right? ;)
Morning veggie lover or not, this one breakfast was enough convincing to make me a regular sweet tooth sweet life reader! :)

59 Courtney August 9, 2011 at 5:35 pm

SCORE! :-D
Welcome to STSL, Sarah! Hope to see ya around…and I promise, I’ll try to include more veggie-filled breakfasts. I’ve been trying to anyways ;)

60 Brittany August 9, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Those are my favorite kind of eggs to make! I usually add salsa and spinach too. Your picture made me hungry!

PB Cookies
Be gossiped about
Lick the phone quickly! Hair in my mouth makes me gag! … well so does the licking the phone idea but it will take less time.

61 Stacey August 9, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Super pumped for my cookies!!!!! Thank u!!!