Exactly What I Hoped For

by Courtney on August 14, 2011

Today turned out to be exactly what I had hoped for: a morning bridal shower followed by an afternoon of completely vegging out.

I arrived at the shower and greeted the guest of honor, who looked absolutely beautiful (I wish I had gotten a picture with her!) and chatted with a few other friends of ours.

As soon as we sat down at our table, I spotted the coffee carafe and poured myself a cup…and not long after, promptly poured myself another. Hey, the cups were small.

Each of the tables were accompanied by a vase of beautiful, fresh sunflowers; apparently, sunflowers are the popular flower this summer!

Each of the guests also received a delicious looking homemade apple pie loaf. I say delicious “looking” but I definitely dug in and tried a bite of it as soon as I got home. It tastes as delicious as it looks. Smile

Not long after everyone arrived, we were served brunch, which was quite a spread. I opted for a piece of french toast, scrambled eggs (with ketchup, of course) and some fresh fruit with a yogurt dip (I didn’t eat the mini bagel half). Everything was yummy.

A couple of games were played throughout the morning, and I was totally psyched when I realized that I won a Starbucks gift card. I mean, it doesn’t get much better than that!

Unless, in fact, there’s cupcakes involved…which there was. So I guess it did get even better! This was a yellow cupcake with lemon filling and lemon frosting which was absolutely amazing. I thought I was “cupcaked-out” but this little treat proved me wrong.

As soon as I got home from the shower I wasn’t really feeling too hot, so I changed into my cozies, laid down on the couch and ended up snoozing for a little while. I woke up and felt better but still had zero energy or desire to do much of anything…just like I had planned.

Jay and I ended up ordering the movie “Limitless” on Demand, which was pretty good. For those of you who have seen it, do you think you’d ever take a pill like that if it could unlock your entire brain? Crazy to think about, isn’t it?!?

By the time the movie was over, Jay and I were both ready for dinner, but both of us were still feeling ridiculously lazy. Jay wanted to just order a pizza, and I was *this close* to saying okay, but I realized that I really did want something cooked from home. So we trekked out to the kitchen and got to work on some “his & hers” dinners.

Jay opted for pasta with sauce while I cooked myself an amazing veggie and quinoa bowl.

I didn’t end up measuring anything but while my quinoa was cooking, I sautéed some tomatoes, onion, and a TON of spinach in a skillet with some roasted red pepper dressing.

Once the quinoa was ready, I added in my sautéed veggies, along with a sliced up chicken sausage and some balsamic marinated green beans that I stole from Jay. I added in a little more dressing and about a tablespoon of Chavrie goat cheese.

All I can say is WOW. It reminded me a lot of this dish that I put together a while back, but it was even better. Quinoa really is such an interesting little grain, isn’t it? Not only is it delicious but it’s kinda fun to look at, too. Smile

I’m definitely glad that we decided to cook rather than order another Sunday evening pizza. I guess that just means that there’s a little extra room for dessert tonight, right?

Hope everyone had a great weekend!!

Now tell me…

What was the best part of YOUR weekend?

1 Lindsey August 14, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I will have to say our zoo trip! It had been too long!

2 Melissa August 14, 2011 at 7:14 pm

What a fun shower! I love lazy Sundays and kinda wish I had gotten to have one today.

The best part of my weekend was being a bridesmaid in one of my best friend’s weddings. We’ve known each other since 1st grade and it was so amazing to spend the day with her!

3 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 14, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Your dinner looks great! I love one dish meals! :) The best part of my weekend was probably the 2 hour nap I took today! lol.

4 Ashley@MyFoodandFitnessDiaries August 14, 2011 at 7:23 pm

The best part of my weekend was date night with my hubby last night! We did a stereotypical date night…dinner and movie, but had a ton of fun together regardless. Glad you got a nice relaxing day!

5 Jane @ Broccolini + Cheese August 14, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Yum, that quinoa bowl looks awesome! Glad you had a fun Sunday!

6 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 14, 2011 at 7:36 pm

YES! I just got a Starbucks gift card from my summer job at a summer camp and it was pretty much the best thank you gift ever :D

7 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 14, 2011 at 7:54 pm

We recently saw Limitless too, I thought it was a pretty good movie. I don’t think I’d actually take the pill if I knew the side effects up front. Crazy stuff though!
Best part of my weekend was probably just housing the guacamole I made with my dad at the beach :)

8 Maria@La_Piattini August 14, 2011 at 7:54 pm

We have been so lazy with our Sunday dinners lately! We’re so good with making dinner every night during the week but for some reason when Sunday hits we always end up ordering. Oh well. Your quinoa looks delish though!

9 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill August 14, 2011 at 7:58 pm

My weekend was well balanced–that is lazy and productive! It was quite the weekend of pampering, which is always fun! The weather wasn’t great in Baltimore, but that just gives me a reason to stay in all day and watch movies, right? ;)

10 Emma @ Microcosm of Life August 14, 2011 at 8:00 pm

It seems like your decision to make a home-cooked meal paid off! Pizza, smizza. I need to get some quinoa, stat!

11 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! August 14, 2011 at 8:44 pm

That brunch looks absolutely amazing!

12 Amy August 14, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I love those lazy days :)
That veggie quinoa bowl looks delicious, I’m going to have to try it!
Enjoy your evening!

13 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 14, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I LOVE quinoa mess bowls! They’re the best! Sorry you weren’t feeling so great this afternoon!

14 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 14, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Sounds like a perfect day! I love being lazy on Sundays. That quinoa dish sounds and looks amazing! I’ve been driving to Florida with my bf this weekend. We are moving him here…and we’re finally at his place! Yay :). It’s crazy how much I missed blogging when I was really only away from it yesterday! I love it!

15 Amy August 14, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I love veggie quinoa bowls! I’ll have to make another one soon :)
The best part of my weekend? Going to the markets with Mum on Saturday morning. Great to have some time with one of my favourite ladies!

16 Shayla @ The Good Life August 14, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I love dinners like that instead of splurging on pizza because that definitely leaves more for dessert! ;)

And my best part of the weekend was my hubby and my date nite last nite. It was perfect with delicious food! :)

17 Brittany August 14, 2011 at 10:23 pm

If the pill from limitless didn’t have the scary after effect, heck yes i would take it! i just got a starbucks giftcard this weekend.. LOVE. The best part of this weekend were my birthday celebrations :)

18 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 14, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Looks great! Good idea for a simple dish to make myself when I move into my apt.

19 Sweet and Savvy August 14, 2011 at 11:44 pm

On the subject of Limitless… I would probably have to take that pill. The temptation would be insane!

20 Kait @ One Love Run August 14, 2011 at 11:53 pm

being lazy at the beach all day, the best thing to do on a sunday! and your quinoa dish looks super yummy.

21 Khushboo August 15, 2011 at 12:39 am

I think I need to bring back brunch in my life- that spread looks great!

22 Kelly August 15, 2011 at 8:18 am

Brunch is by far my most favorite meal to eat. That is probably my favorite meal to eat out. :)

23 Alicia August 15, 2011 at 8:50 am

this looks really yummy- I have to try the roasted red pepper dressing! Yum!

24 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 15, 2011 at 9:18 am

The best part of my weekend would definitely have to be listening to my beau try to pronounce German words to my German friend (like, lived in Germany for the first 23 years of her life German) as they sipped beers. The words got further from correct as the night went on…. Sehr gut.

25 Holly August 15, 2011 at 10:09 am

I’m sure you already know I’m obsessed with sunflowers :) I just love seeing them, they make me smile.
& I actually think I’m going to make what you came up with for dinner tonight! It looks so good & I have so quinoa that just keeps staring at me when I walk into the kitchen- your meal looks delish!

26 Bianca August 15, 2011 at 8:43 pm

You should try mustard on scrambled eggs. It’s so good! Just regular, no dijon or honey mustard because those taste weird.

27 debbie@accidentlydelish August 16, 2011 at 6:54 pm

i LOVE quinoa and make random stir frys all the time with it. yours looks delish!!

debbie

28 Marlene August 26, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Those little yellow things looks like mini condoms. What is it ?
Marlene recently posted..Best Online Master Programs

29 Courtney August 26, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Are you talking about the quinoa? It’s a grain :)
Courtney recently posted..The Fashion Friday Archives