Bread Machine Successes and Failures

by Courtney on August 16, 2011

I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I am after tonight’s dinner…

I was finally able to get an amazing loaf of bread to come out of my bread machine!

Guys and gals, this is HUGE!

Ever since I received my bread machine last Christmas, my success/failure ratio has been a little leery…

Remember my first attempt? That was scary.

The next attempt a few days later was better, but still pretty hard and crusty on the outside.

Then there was the Rustic Italian Loaf which tasted great, but it barely rose and, again, was super crusty on the outside.

Oh yes, and let’s not forget this disaster. Good lord. I was about ready to throw in the towel after that one.

Thankfully, up until tonight, I have had my one stand-by recipe for French Bread, which has proven delicious on more than one occasion.

But now, I have TWO successful, delicious loaves of bread under my belt. Tonight’s load was a Pesto Bread recipe which came out of the book that came with the bread machine. I mean, not only did the bread have amazing pesto flavor, but it finally looked good too.

Just look at that! It’s light, fluffy, and actually looks like bread.

So what lovely dinner had the pleasure of accompanying tonight’s Pesto Bread?

Well that would be my Minestrone Soup.

This soup is not only super easy to make, but it’s ready within a half hour AND it tastes great. Hubby is on the fence with it because of the garbanzo beans, but I told him to get over it, just pick ‘em out, and send them my way. Winking smile

I started off with two slices of bread with dinner (but ended up adding a third), which worked out to be perfect for dipping, despite the fact that my soup was severely lacking in broth.

Jay ended up getting home later than I expected, so a bunch of the liquid ended up cooking off. But no worries; I just added a little extra for the leftovers.

I definitely foresee some of these leftovers in my future for tomorrow…no doubt about it!

Question for the Evening:

What are your favorite kinds of soup and/or homemade bread?

1 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean August 16, 2011 at 8:19 pm

woohoo for bread machine successes!!!! looks great. i made a successful non-bread machine loaf today which I was happy about too :)
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted..Buckwheat Crepes

2 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 16, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Wow- that bread looks great! So does the soup. I always run into that problem with the lack of liquid – I always add more chicken stock when I save the leftovers.

What is it with men and their dislike towards beans? My boyfriend hates em… yet loves hummus. Explain that one. ;)
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Shopping & Curbing My Sugar Cravings

3 Courtney August 16, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Now that IS interesting…Jay won’t come within five feet of the stuff ;)

4 Erica August 16, 2011 at 8:27 pm

congrats on the bread success!!! and the soup looks super yummy too!

my favorite homecooked soups are chicken noodle, lentil, and corn chowder!
Erica recently posted..it’s been killing me!!!

5 Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries August 16, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Minestrone soup is definitely in my top faves for homemade soups. (My stepmom’s is amazing!) I also love homemade chicken noodle soup. I’m not sure if I can consider chili a soup, but I LOVE turkey chili too.

And I pretty much love any type of homemade, fluffy, soft bread. Yummm.

Great job on your success with your bread! Looks delicious!
Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries recently posted..Lotsa New Stuff!

6 Melissa August 16, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Woot woot! YAY for the bread success! I made an asiago ciabatta a couple of years ago and it was amazing. I love Giada’s recipe for Ribbolita (kind of minestrone-esque). Look it up on the Food Network site!
Melissa recently posted..Mediterranean Chicken Salad

7 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 16, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Yay! Congrats on the bread machine success :). That looks awesome! I LOVE pumpkin breads with chocolate chips!
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Beach, Pool, and a Yummy Dinner

8 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 16, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Yum! :) I am so ready for fall and soup weather! My favorite homemade soup is definitely the tortellini-spinach soup from Ellie Krieger’s So Easy cookbook! It is to die for! I honestly haven’t really tried a whole lot of homemade bread other than quick breads like banana! I would love to try a good cinnamon or hearty whole grain bread!
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..Orange Tofu Stir Fry

9 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) August 16, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I just made my first awesome loaf of bread machine bread last week — the first couple loaves were total fail — and am completely obsessed. I’ve already started giving loaves to friends.
Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) recently posted..Monday Meal at Graffiato

10 Corey @ Family Fresh Meals August 16, 2011 at 8:57 pm

That soup looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it! I love love love dill or tomato bread from the bread machine :)
Corey @ Family Fresh Meals recently posted..Maple Candied Bacon ( Food Network)

11 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 16, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Looks like this attempt turned out pretty perfect!

Hmmm favorite soup would have to be baked potato & I LOVE sourdough bread!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..The Honeymoon, Day 1

12 Maria@La_Piattini August 16, 2011 at 9:11 pm

That looks really yummy and soft- good job on your success!
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..Feather Party

13 Lindsey August 16, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I will have to check this recipe out, Minestrone is one of my favs! I also love making roasted butternut squash and tomato soup.
I don’t have a bread machine but have attempted bread once with my Vitamix and then just baking it, it was just okay ;) I would like to make homemade cinnamon swirl bread though!
Lindsey recently posted..Library Date

14 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ August 16, 2011 at 9:33 pm

That is awesome about the bread! Bread machines are so hard to use! I love any and all bread, specifically super oaty, crusty, warm rolls…yummy!
Your soup looks great too! I love vegetarian chili, black bean soup and anything with a tomato base! its one of my favorite winter time meals!
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ recently posted..Taco Salad Tuesday

15 Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries August 16, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I love the smell of homemade bread! Yum!! Olive loafs are so delicious.

16 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie August 16, 2011 at 10:09 pm

recipe success always makes me happy!

17 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 16, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Mmmmm I’m actually in the process of saving your minestrone soup recipe as we speak. I’ve been looking for a quick recipe and you might have just won over my heart (and stomach) with the mention of it being ready in 30 minutes :D
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Dinner for Lunch?

18 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 16, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Omgggg I LOVE asiago bread!! It is theee best. And as for soups — gimme dat sweet potato soup! Or butternut squash. ;)
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Best Day Ever.

19 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 16, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I have a recipe for Rosemary Cheddar Cheese Swirl bread that is absolutely amazing!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Barbeque Chicken Melt Sandwich – An Easy Recipe

20 Brittany August 16, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I love black bean soup, butternut squash, or anything with veggies!
My bread machine is amazing I love using it. I’ve made whole wheat, honey wheat, corn bread, and more!
Brittany recently posted..Feeling like a mother

21 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 16, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Yum!!! Good thing you didn’t give up! You really won this time! :)
I love bread in small doses…. sweet breads are a weakness though!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..California- Day 1

22 Allie@LiveLaughEat August 16, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Congrats!! There’s nothing quite like homemade bread.
Allie@LiveLaughEat recently posted..Jeans That Fit!

23 Liz @ Something To Chew Om August 16, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I love homemade bread! It was a staple in my house growing up…and that is definitely one of the best smells in existence.

I love cheese bread!! And my mom makes an awesome hamburger soup…I request extra barley. Best thing on a cold, gross day :)
Liz @ Something To Chew Om recently posted..Like Destiny’s Child

24 Mariana August 16, 2011 at 11:18 pm

My favorite soups are mexican soups: fideo and tortilla
Mariana recently posted..Pescado a la mostaza

25 Lisa August 16, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Wow, your bread looks amazing! So far all the bread at our house has come out half risen. I might just have to try your recipe. :)
Lisa recently posted..Lisa’s Story #11: My First Blog

26 Lauren @ Lauren Can... August 16, 2011 at 11:41 pm

That soup looks so good! I think I will make it when it cools off. Right now in Florida all I can think about is devouring some froyo to stay cool! :)
Lauren @ Lauren Can… recently posted..cook and eat vegetables like crazy!

27 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life August 16, 2011 at 11:42 pm

I make an amazing Cream of Asparagus soup if I do say so myself. :) Another favorite in my house is White Bean Chili. Your minestrone looks delish!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..End of Summer Cleaning

28 Khushboo August 17, 2011 at 12:35 am

Woaah check you out, u sure have come a long way! Love that dinner, nothing beats a hearty soup with homemade bread!
Khushboo recently posted..Why hello there, Hunger!

29 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries August 17, 2011 at 7:08 am

Hi! I’ve missed you!! I need to get myself a bread maker asap. The only problem would be having self-control and not eating an entire loaf in one sitting..
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..The Wedding!

30 Courtney August 17, 2011 at 8:26 am

Awwwww, I’ve missed you TOO! Welcome back, newlywed! :-D

31 Hope August 17, 2011 at 8:44 am

Great job on the bread! It looks delicious! Your minestrone soup looks so good! It looks better than the Olive Garden soup! I need to try making this in the fall! :) I think I might have to add a bread machine to our registry once we start one!
Hope recently posted..One Year Exactly Till Mrs.!…

32 Kelly August 17, 2011 at 8:47 am

My boyfriend in college, his mom used to make the most amazing homemade white bread. I swear it was like heaven. I think I might have dated said boyfriend for longer than I should if only to get getting my bread supply! ha!
Kelly recently posted..the little things

33 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count August 17, 2011 at 9:06 am

That bread look delicous! My mom has a bread maker she NEVER uses, and I have been thinking about taking it off her hands for her to put to good use! I love soup. Unfortunately Florida is too hot to eat it!

As far as all your “ugly” bread batches go…just remember–it’s whats on the INSIDE that counts. ;) If it tastes good…that is ALL that matters (unless you have company I suppose). hehe
Taylor @ Crumbs Don’t Count recently posted..Breakfast for Dinner

34 Ruthie Hart August 17, 2011 at 10:58 am

The bread you made yesterday looks amazing! What kind of bread machine do you have? I have always wanted one but I know they are kind of expensive right? Do you ever make bread in the oven??
Ruthie Hart recently posted..20 Something Bloggers Swap