He Was So Proud

by Courtney on August 16, 2011

My little man sure was making me laugh this morning!

IMG_6920-1

You guys already know that Cody loves his milk jug tabs to play fetch with. It’s not uncommon for Jay and I to find the “toys” scattered sporadically throughout the house; behind comfortable soft cushions, under rugs, and inside of shoes. Lately, they’ve been making more of an appearance in his food dish when we get up in the morning…

IMG_6922-1

But today he had them nicely rimmed right around the edge.

IMG_6921-1

And he was so proud of it. Winking smile

IMG_6924-1

This little scene was actually witnessed once I came back upstairs from the basement after completing a great, sweaty treadmill workout. When I woke up this morning, I was trying to rack by brain for some ideas because I didn’t have a plan.

But thanks to my girl, Julie, I completed this incline walking/running workout which was perfect for what I was looking for today. I followed things up with 3 sets of deadlifts (15 reps) using 2- 10lb weights before calling it a day.

Breakfast

About halfway through my workout this morning, I started thinking about breakfast (as I usually do) and immediately got a craving for some Protein Pancakes.

I used the same recipe as usual, but added in some sliced bananas to the batter and topped them with 2 big ‘ol tablespoons of PB2 and some maple syrup.

These babies were FILLING today. Wow!

You have noticed that there was a little something missing from breakfast today, and that’s because the horror of all horrors has occurred…

We’re completely out of coffee.

Not as in, “Ohh, I forgot to brew some last night” – we are fresh OUT. So you can bet your bottom dollar that I’ll be making a pit stop in the midst of my morning errands today. Winking smile

Questions for the Morning:

WOULD YOU RATHER…

• Eat pancakes with fruit topping -OR- maple syrup?
  • Be able to stop time -OR- fly?
  • Be stranded on an island alone -OR- with someone you REALLY dislike?

1 Bri @ Fashion Snack August 16, 2011 at 9:21 am

My cat is also obsessed with the milk jug tabs! She definitely prefers those to any type of actual cat toy that we’ve ever tried to buy her.

I’d rather..
Eat pancakes with a fruit topping
Be able to stop time
Be stranded on an island with someone I really dislike …because I feel like being stranded alone would be really scary/suck

2 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life August 16, 2011 at 9:23 am

No coffee in the house is a horror in my house too. Luckily there’s always DD iced coffee to make up for it. ;)

I like my pancakes with maple syrup.
I would want to stop time only if I could unfreeze other people when time was stopped otherwise I’d wanna fly.
I think I’d rather be alone. I know you can go crazy from being alone for a long time, but someone who I dislike would probably drive me crazy even sooner.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..A Wonderful Weekend!

3 Lindsey August 16, 2011 at 9:25 am

My favorite pancake topping is Greek yogurt and fruit – so fruit!
Fly! I would feel more super woman like ;)
Someone I dislike, At least it would be company! And I hate being alone.
Lindsey recently posted..Library Date

4 Katie @ Plates and Paste August 16, 2011 at 9:26 am

Oh my goodness, Cody is SO cute! I love orange tabbys.

I’d rather eat pancakes with maple syrup…I like fruit on top but there’s nothing like the ol’ fashioned way :)
I’d rather stop time since I’m afraid of heights.
And I’d actually rather be with someone I didn’t like…who knows, maybe we’d learn something from each other? Human interaction is important so I’d rather have someone to talk to than no one at all!
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Shake It

5 Lisa August 16, 2011 at 9:28 am

Maple syrup–but if I really had my choice (which, I guess, is not in fact the point of Would You Rather), it would be cinnamon apples and tons of whipped cream! So I guess I kind of picked fruit then?

Be able to stop time!!! I could get so much more done AND take naps!

Be stranded with someone. We’d become friends, I think. We’d pretty much have to. :)
Lisa recently posted..Sunny Seed Story #41: A Sunny Seed Car Wash

6 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count August 16, 2011 at 9:29 am

Yumm! I am a little obsessed with those protein pancakes! I saw them on here a couple weeks ago and have made them at leat four times since then! Sooo good with bananas, almond butter, and syrup on top!

P.S. No coffee sounds like “Coffee Friday” should come on Tuesday this week!

7 Courtney August 16, 2011 at 9:55 am

I think you’re right, Taylor ;)

8 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 16, 2011 at 9:29 am

I am such a cat lover so I always get a kick out of your photos of Cody! What is it with cats and their love for oddly shaped little objects they can play with? My cat’s the same way.

I’d rather eat w/ syrup, fly, be alone.
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Just Another Monday Night

9 Meg August 16, 2011 at 9:31 am

He is so cute and clever!
1. pancakes with syrup… and fruit inside!
2. make time stop because doesn’t it already fly by?
3. stranded on an island alone! preferably with my laptop or lots of books!

Those pancakes look bomb!! I can’t wait to try and recreate them at home!
Meg recently posted..Restaurants I Love: Wildfire

10 Danielle @ Dish'n'dash August 16, 2011 at 9:34 am

I keep seeing protein pancakes all over the food blogosphere – definitely need to try them out!
I had a cat who would do something similar to Cody. Except Smokey’s love was for socks. Seriously, if you left a pair of rolled-up socks lying around, she would take them and carry them around the house and more often than not would drop them into the water dish.

Fruit (especially if made into a sauce!), stop time, and alone.

11 Courtney August 16, 2011 at 9:56 am

Socks?!? That’s great!

12 Danielle @ Dish'n'dash August 16, 2011 at 10:22 am

She would leave them in the most random places and eventually, she had her “favourites” (usually thick, woolen socks). We think she thought of the socks as her kittens and she would walk around showing them off.
Oh how I love the entertainment cats provide!
Danielle @ Dish’n'dash recently posted..Stigmatization of Obesity

13 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 16, 2011 at 9:37 am

Oh I would definitely be stopping for coffee asap! Cody is so stinkin’ cute! I love that he is just lounging by his bowl in what my mom likes to call an “I’m a playboy” pose haha :)

I would totally prefer maple syrup
Much rather fly
Be stranded on an island alone
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..A Whole Foods and Movie Kind of Day

14 Tara Deal August 16, 2011 at 9:39 am

Cats are soooo clever!! Ok….if I had to pick between fruit on my pancakes or maple syrup I would choose fruit…and peanut butter: )
Tara Deal recently posted..Where’s My Alarm!?

15 Khushboo August 16, 2011 at 9:46 am

Good to know I’m not the only one who thinks about food during her workout ;)! Man I couldn’t leave the gym quicker this morning, I dunno how I pulled through but my tummy was hangry by the end of it!
Khushboo recently posted..Why hello there, Hunger!

16 Cait August 16, 2011 at 9:47 am

aha omg thats a great post about your kitty ;) I wish mine did something like that! xo have a great Tuesday!

17 Kelly August 16, 2011 at 9:49 am

I would rather:

1. have maple syrup
2. fly
3. be stranded with someone I dislike

Happy Tuesday Courtney!
Kelly recently posted..do you ever

18 Courtney August 16, 2011 at 9:56 am

Thanks Kel, you too! :-D

19 emily August 16, 2011 at 9:57 am

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who uses peanut butter on their pancakes!
emily recently posted..Tuesday inspiration: Life

20 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 16, 2011 at 10:03 am

Sounds like a good reason to swing by Dunkin’! Have you tried mixing the PB2 directly with syrup?
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Tweetin’

21 Courtney August 16, 2011 at 10:40 am

Oooo, I have NOT…but that could be interesting!

22 Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries August 16, 2011 at 10:06 am

Haha, your little Cody is too cute with his milk jug tabs!

1. I’d rather top my pancakes with maple syrup (and peanut butter!). Syrup and PB is my favorite topping!
2. I’d rather fly…that’d be so fun!
3. I’d rather be stranded with someone I don’t like. I wouldn’t want to be lonely… And maybe we’d start to like each other??
Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries recently posted..Firehouse Subs: Yay or Nay?

23 Nicole August 16, 2011 at 10:12 am

I love the fact that you put peanut butter on your pancakes – pure genius! I just picked up my first jar of White Chocolate Wonderful from PB&Co… and I’ve been eating it non-stop! Definitely has the potential to be dangerous!!

24 Jenny & Love Eat Run August 16, 2011 at 10:13 am

1. Maple syrup for sure! I need something to dip the pancakes in!
2. Stop time. How awesome would it be to be able to change things around while time was stopped? Like Zach used to do on Saved By the Bell :)
3. I think I’d rather be alone. I’m pretty good at occupying myself and I don’t mind “me” time!
Jenny & Love Eat Run recently posted..Hotdogs for Breakfast

25 Ruthie Hart August 16, 2011 at 10:13 am

OMG those pancakes are making my mouth water!! Yummy!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Homemade sugar cookies and buttercream frosting

26 Shanna, like Banana August 16, 2011 at 10:17 am

Ooo that is mighty talented of Mr Cody ;)

WYR:
Maple syrup — I’m obsessed with all things maple
Fly — I could fly when my shoes were starting to hurt..haha
Alone — as long as I had books, I’d be happy
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..Shoes-Day!

27 Courtney August 16, 2011 at 10:41 am

Ok, I’m just realizing that I am going to meet you this weekend at HLS…and I’m pretty darn excited :)

28 Girl in the pink August 16, 2011 at 10:20 am

Fruit compote on pancakes ftw!!
Girl in the pink recently posted..Triple Chocolate Brownies in a Slow Cooker?

29 Courtney August 16, 2011 at 10:42 am

Ok, I have to ask…what does ftw stand for? LOL

30 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 16, 2011 at 10:45 am

For the win!
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..On Repeat

31 Courtney August 16, 2011 at 10:46 am

Haha, ok that’s what I figured, but I just wanted to make sure!
Thanks for clarifying ;)

32 Brittany August 16, 2011 at 10:21 am

I’d rather have fruit I’m not a huge maple syrup fan!
I’d rather fly, that would be amazing
And probably with someone I disliked

33 Maria@La_Piattini August 16, 2011 at 10:32 am

OOo I like the idea of putting sliced bananas in with the protein pancakes- thanks!
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..Feather Party

34 Cait @ Cait hates Cake August 16, 2011 at 10:32 am

Haha, oh Cody. Cats are so strange. My old cat shared a similar obsession, but with rubber bands and he would collect them in his food dish too. Weirdos…
Cait @ Cait hates Cake recently posted..Yesterday

35 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 16, 2011 at 10:42 am

fruit topping all the way! when I make pancakes, I top them with so much fruit you usually can’t even tell what’s underneath.
Stop time, it goes by way to quickly already.
Stranded alone :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Guest Post: Living Like the Kings

36 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 16, 2011 at 10:46 am

Those pancakes look tasty! I would rather have a fruit topping on my pancakes (bananas–mmm), be able to stop time, and be stranded on an island alone.
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..On Repeat

37 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 16, 2011 at 11:13 am

The other day, Pancake Saturday (a most holy of days in my household) we realized, only after we’d started stirring the batter….. we hadn’t a drop of syrup in the entire apartment. Well, after my beau picked me up off the ground (because I immediately fainted at the very idea), he rushed over to the grocery store to stock up. Hell hath no fury like me in the morning…. with pancakes…. and no syrup.

So I guess my first answer is obvious.

I’d choose to fly. Admittedly, stopping time would be cool, but I could save so much time flying myself (rather than waiting in the security line at the PHL airport…) And I could swoop down and pluck my own salmon from the river, a behavior I’ve always envied from osprey.

I think that being on an island with someone you really dislike is just the intro of a sweet RomCom, kind of like One Fine Day meets Castaway. So definitely that one.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Molto Bene: A Tale of Triumph

38 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 16, 2011 at 11:16 am

You’re completely out of coffee!? Oh my lanta! I would cry :(

By the way, Cody’s little milk tabs look like Christmas ornaments haha
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Alley Cats Strike

39 Laura @ Unchartered 20s August 16, 2011 at 11:16 am

I love that Cody rounded up all his toys while he enjoyed his breakfast! So cute.

I would rather eat pancakes with maple syrup.
Be able to stop time for sure.
Be stranded on an island alone.
Laura @ Unchartered 20s recently posted..La – Z- Weekend

40 Char August 16, 2011 at 11:18 am

I maaaade protein pancakes this morning too…but I kinda just improvised. Totally have to try Gina’s next time!!! I would much rather have maple syrup on them, as long as it’s GOOD maple syrup.

I’d wanna stop time. And be on an island alone…even though that one is tough because you would probably get to like the person you dislike if it were only the two of you haha. Good questions!!!
Char recently posted..power up protein pancakes + running

41 Melissa August 16, 2011 at 11:20 am

Ugh–I didn’t have a plan this morning and haven’t worked out yet. I want to do something I feel excited about, but nothing seems to be doing it for me.

Maple syrup.
Stop time (as long as I can start it again!)
Alone fo sho! I have lots of experience with alone, and I’m sure I can do it better than dealing with someone I can’t stand!
Melissa recently posted..Union Station

42 Silvia @ skinny jeans food August 16, 2011 at 11:38 am

Too funny. My cats do that, too, although they use the elastic bands for my ponytail and play fetch with them. They eventually always end up in their food bowl (wah!).
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Home-made Storage Magic

43 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 16, 2011 at 11:56 am

I’m not usually a cat person, but Cody is too cute! :-)

-Maple syrup!
-Stop time!
-Be alone!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..I’m Back!

44 Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes August 16, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Pancakes – hmm, maple syrup or fruit? I can’t have both?! Okay, okay, Maple Syrup FTW!

I’d LOVE to be able to stop time.

And, I think someone I really dislike. Maybe we could learn to get along?
Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes recently posted..Happy Monday (Spreading the Love – Day 33)

45 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 16, 2011 at 12:52 pm

hahaha don’t you love when our pets do wacko things? cody is adorable.

I’m like buddy the elf with syrup. I could put it on everything.
I’d rather be able to fly. I think I’d save soo much time AND money that way. ;)
I think I’d prefer to be alone than with someone I really disliked… hah
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..The Day I Ran Next To Justin Timberlake

46 Claire August 16, 2011 at 1:32 pm

O-m-gee those pancakes look amazing!!!
Claire recently posted..Summer Fashion Rule, Fall Must-haves and a workout

47 Jordan August 16, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I keep meaning to make these protein pancakes! They look so yummy and nutritious. What kind of protein powder do you use? And is PB2 really a powder first? Did you mix it?
PS I love love love your blog!!

48 Courtney August 16, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Thanks, Jordan! :)

I use vanilla Sun Warrior protein powder but I think any will do?
And yes, PB2 is a powder at first, and you add water to it to make PB! :)

49 Hope August 16, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I am not a huge maple syrup fan so I would have to say a little maple syrup and some fruit :)

I would like to be able to stop time, only as long as I’m not at work! ;)

I would rather be stranded on an island with someone that I dislike because if you are with someone long enough, they might actually grow on you. I just wouldn’t want to be alone. Too lonely!
Hope recently posted..Creamy Taco Mac…

50 Lizzie August 16, 2011 at 2:31 pm

OMG ur pancakes look so tasty!
Lizzie recently posted..How to get Calcium: The LFL wayyyyy

51 candice August 16, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Cody is so funny! I have never heard of a cat playing with milk tabs.. I guess its kind of like how my babies like to play with empty water bottles? Money saver for sure. ha!
to answer your questions.
1. fresh fruit! but whip cream has to be piled on top too!
2. stop time! my babies are growing to fast and i love them in this stage and i’m content where my life is right now.
3. id like to be alone.. boring but then I wouldn’t have the constant headache of having to deal with someone I can’t stand.. ha!
candice recently posted..vanilla almond granola

52 Tara Burner August 16, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Cody’s too cute
and me….I’d take fruit…hate maple syrup
stop time and be alone!
Tara Burner recently posted..ZoeB Organic Baby Review & Giveaway

53 Amy August 16, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Yum those pancakes look amazing I’m going to have to make those this week. I’m def a fruit girl over maple syrup although in the winter I may say maple syrup on a cold day when all I want is comfort food.

54 Casey @ oatsandnanners August 16, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Hey Courtney!
Ummm definitely made some FiberOne pancakes right after I finished reading this post…! Good choice adding the PB. So, as much as I hate to admit it, I can never realllyyy get over the fact that PB has more calories than I’d like (I know, I’m trying to work on my old calorie-counting ways).

But after reading about PB2 from your blog, I’m super excited — I was thinking of ordering either the original or the chocolate/cocoa pb2?? If you have any thoughts (is it even worth it??) I’d love to hear ‘em!

55 Courtney August 16, 2011 at 8:16 pm

It is DEFINITELY worth it!!
Here’s my honest opinion…
-On a sandwich, PB2 is not my favorite. It’s still slightly different from what I’m used to with regular PB and just doesn’t quite work that way for me.
-On top of oatmeal or pancakes (or mixed into yogurt) it is AWESOME! I love how you can adjust the thickness/thinness of it to suit what you want it to do (pour easily, etc.). Plus, I like to use a LOT of it when I use it as a topping, so the calorie/fat content of 2 whole tbsps is pretty fantastic.
I say GO FOR IT! And if you order off of iHerb.com, use my coupon code SAZ564 to get $5.00 off your order!! :)

56 Thetreadmilldiaries August 16, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Pancakes with maple syrup all the way!

57 margo September 22, 2011 at 1:04 pm

My kitty does that too!!!