The Target Effect

If you follow me on Twitter, then you probably already know about my small victory today, but I’m still going to share them again anyways.

I had a few errands to run this afternoon, one of them being a trip to Target. Now, if you’re anything like me, then you know that a trip to Target can be trouble. Rarely can I leave the place in less than a half hour and without buying at least three extra items that weren’t originally on my list.

Tell me I’m not the only one who suffers from the “Target Effect”…?

But ohh my friends…this afternoon, I was in and out of Target in less than 10 minutes AND left only with the three items that were on my list. And I thought my last Target victory was a good one!

Since we’re all out of coffee, I figured I’d just pick some up there since I had to go there anyway. I’ve never tried this kind before, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it’s decent.

And since coffee was not consumed this morning, I made sure to grab one while I was out, which was FREE thanks to my Starbucks gift card that I won over the weekend.

I also ended up snacking on a pineapple SOYJOY bar and an apple before making my final stop.

I’ve had a merchandise credit sitting in my purse since a little after Christmas(?!?), and decided I’d pop in today to see if there was anything worth checking out. Lucky for me, I found a couple of goodies.

I figured that this would be a good tank to wear this coming weekend at the Healthy Living Summit, and I immediately fell in love with this Apt.9 Brooklyn Pleated Satchel. I’ve been in the market for a new bag, and I think this one will do a great job of carrying me through fall and winter. Plus, it’s even on sale!

I really wasn’t feeling very hungry until just now, so I think I’m going to go dig in to some of our leftovers from last night’s dinner. Sautéed veggies are always delish the next day!

Questions for the Afternoon:

What kind of a purse do you usually use? Large/small? What style is your favorite?

Anyone else out there who suffers from the “Target Effect?”

So funny you wrote about this today, Courtney. I totally had my own Target victory last night. I went in to try to exchange my hairdryer because it died on me. I got it not too long ago and had the box but not the receipt. They did the exchange with no questions asked! Gotta love awesome customer service! I also managed to get out of there with only that and the 2 other items on my list. Score!

I suffer, bad, from the “Target Effect”. What’s worse, is that my fave Target to go to is attached to the mall. Double bad. They have so much fun stuff – and lately, since I started blogging, I’ve been wanting cuter placemats and colorful plates. So I’ve been avoiding Target, until I HAVE to go!

I love bags – I have a giraffe print one right now that’s pretty big, but it’s getting worn out. Thinking of hitting up my other “danger” store – Kohl’s – for a fall/winter bag soon!
    Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes recently posted..Happy Monday (Spreading the Love – Day 33)

I just checked online…. my nearest Target is 1.7 miles away.

Literally, the Target effect is a risk I take nearly every day (as I pass this particular Target frequently.)

Need some Morningstar Patties? Come out with an $40 tower fan.

Ran out of razors? Walk out with six new bathing suits.

Thank you for bringing awareness of this dangerous malady to the forefront of the blogosphere. Lists, timers, only paying in cash… We’ve gotta fight it the best that we can.
    Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Minding My Peas and Qs

I feel the same way about Target! I always end up buying things that I had absolutely no intention of buying! Happens every time!

I love that tank and purse you bought! Kohl’s has some really cute things! :) Speaking of which, I have a credit and a coupon. I should totally check out the new fall items!
    Hope recently posted..Creamy Taco Mac…

I have a satchel style Coach bag that is perfecttttt for my commuter lifestyle. lots of pockets and enough space to stash my lunch, ipad, and a bunch of other junk.

target is one scarybeautiful store – good job stickin to your plan, it sure is hard to do at target!!

I am so bad that I will go the grocery store and spend more money on the same products I can find at Target simply because in the long run it will save me money by not going stepping foot into Target!
    Kelly recently you ever

Love the new purchases! I tend to go for big bags, I feel like Mary Poppins but I always manage to fill em up!
    Courtney, I have a bone to pick you! After your numerous delicious-looking pics of iced coffee, I’ve been brewing a batch every night for the next morning and I can see it becoming a habit!! 😉
    Khushboo recently posted..Why hello there, Hunger!

Yes, I think the Target Effect affects everyone!

That purse is so cute! Def my style, and I’m kind of picky. I go through phases where I carry the same purse FORever. Currently it’s a big brown bag…it’s easy to toss a lot in it and it goes with all outfits. I usually switch over to something smaller though when going out on the town :)
    Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Shake It

9. Kathryn says

I love Target and have a hard time leaving without extras (when we aren’t on a super tight budget). I really need a new purse, but can’t afford one right now. I’m hoping to get a new job soon (been without for quite some time) and hopefully I’ll be able to get a new one then. I love having big purses, but try to start with small ones, otherwise I wind up with a 40lb bag. :(
    I think my next purse will be medium sized, as it helps with 2 kids and all their stuff, lol.

• Courtney says

We actually *just* had a Hobby Lobby open near us…but I haven’t made it inside yet.
      Sounds like I’m missing out!? 😉

• says

oh guuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrllllll. Be ready to spend hours and hours and come out with tons of stuff you dont need hehe (cheap though!) Actually a fore warning…EVERYTHING goes on sale. If scrapbook paper isnt 50% off this week, it will be in the next 2 weeks. They have beautiful home decor and even have Christmas stuff out! Let me know what you think of it!
        Ruthie Hart recently posted..Homemade sugar cookies and buttercream frosting

Target definitely sucks me in! But the store that this seems to happen to me the most at is Wegman’s! I can go there with a list of a few items and come back like $50 later wondering what happened LOL
    Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..Feather Party

I love target and I love that little tank top. We actually are moving to Utah – where they apparently LOVE target even more than Seattle – every one is a super target! I can’t wait for the target effect :)
    Kim recently posted..The Best Laid Plans

I am a large purse girl. My collection is rapidly growing. Right now I’m using a shoulder tote from Coach that is the loveliest shade of royal blue. I will likely be carrying it on Sat, I could probably fit a house in it. 😉 As I said on Twitter, unless Target is on fire, I cannot get in and out like that in 10 min. Haha!
    Krissie J recently posted..Make A Sweet Omelet

I definitely suffer from the Target effect…in fact I was in there the other day and thought to myself “I’m doing a Courtney b/c I’m buying things that aren’t on my list!!” 😉

I love my old fav Louis Vuitton bags that were gifts to me…but I also love simple leather hobo bags that are big enough to fit all my whole life in there!
    Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Sushi Love – Ozumo

Yay! That is definitely a victory! :) Starbucks gift cards are such a good prize. That would be a great gift if anyone ever wanted ideas for me! lol. I used to be the biggest purse fanatic (well I still am I just can’t afford them anymore). I love Coach purses with all my heart so right now I have been using a small one just because it is the only one I have and I can’t afford another one. Someday :)
    Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..On Repeat

I love love love Target. It’s one of my favorite stores to go to and I always buy way more than what I originally went in there for, especially now that most of them are part grocery store!

Love the purse! The satchel style is my favorite, mine is in white. I need a darker colored one for the fall and winter though. With back to school sales going on I might just pop out to get one!
    Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..It’s Getting Easier + A Movie Review

I definitely suffer from the Target effect! They have the cutest stuff. Luckily when I was there yesterday I only bought the two things I needed- yay for victory!

Right now I’m using an over-the-shoulder bag (from Target!). They are so easy to walk with and great to travel with! Otherwise I like medium sized bags.
    Aska @ Finding My Happy Ending recently posted..Reasons to Smile

I definitely get the target effect. Whenever I’m there I can’t help but go thru the shoes and clothing sections, which inevitably leads to buying multiple items. Not to mention the cute picture frames, dvds, i think this list could go on forEVER.

I’ve really gotten into crossbody bags. I have two that I alternate between. But when necessary I carry a large purse.
    Amy @ My Life as a Lazy Girl recently posted..I’m a Graduate! (Again)

Oh man, I always get sucked into the Target effect. Sometimes I go when I don’t even need anything just so I can look around. They are always switching up their aisles with new things and I just love wandering aimlessly throughout the store. The worst/best is when there is a holiday coming up–I just LOVE those seasonal aisles filled with candy and decorations–it makes me so happy inside! Sounds so lame, but oh so true!

Cute tank! I could see myself wear that.

I carry one of those obnoxiously large longchamp bags. It’s from college, where I would stuff all my books/laptop in it, but now it’s basically a portable trash can. I throw EVERYTHING in there, it’s ridiculous! It needs to be filtered at least once a week!
    Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Just Another Monday Night

I’m pretty sure every female on earth suffers from the target effect! haha! I hardly ever walk out of there with just the things on my list.. Thats why I usually go with a need list.. and make a WANT list while I’m walking around..
    I have like 3 bags.. none of which are a purse..
    Gym bag with all my stuff for teaching/workouts etc.
    Diaper bag one for running errands
    and diaper bag 2 for toys and such for all day expeditions. I can’t wait to be able to use a actual purse again one day. 😉
    candice recently posted..vanilla almond granola

I like larger purses for sure! I can fit all my stuff in them :) I also really like the cross body style right now, since they are hands free and good for traveling.
    I love Target but sadly there aren’t any (yet) in Canada – I cannot wait till next week when we go to the States and I can go to Target! That coffee flavor looks awesome, I might have to try some :)
    Lindsey recently posted..Library Date

i do not know anyone who does not!!
    i went to target today to get a bday card, play dough and maybe something else.
    left with fase wash, body wash, 2 bananas, a drink, gum, play dough, and a card. – unsuccessful. i did not allow mys self in clothing, shoes or makeup! that was successful!
    Hannah recently posted..Interesting Reads

I have Terminal Target Effect. It has been in the advanced stages since we move into our new house which Sadly, there is no cure. Symptom management includes no more than two target trips per week, no more than $20 in my wallet at a time, and use of the buddy system. Please send donations to the Terminal Target Effect Survivor’s Fund. All proceeds go directly to Target…er….treatment.
    Shana recently posted..Crunch Time

cuuuute sunglasses!!! what are they?

and ahh im so excited for you about your bread! i know how badly you’ve been wanting a successful loaf with that thing!

and no, its not just you. the Target effect is a curse and I am always immediately sucked into its spell.
    Kaitlyn recently posted..oreos for heros

25. Lindsay says

Hey, you came to Kohls today?! Did you go to the one on Central Ave. in Colonie? I was working all day.. It would have been awesome to meet you!

26. Amy says

I usually carry a large purse. I like to be able to get my snacks and all my junk in there. Every time I buy a small purse it ends up at consignment.