Tackling The To-Do’s

by Courtney on August 17, 2011

Busy Bee…that’s me today!

Even though I’ve been working non-stop on this to-do list since I last chatted with you all, I still feel like there’s so much that still needs to be done. Eeeek!

Nonetheless, I did make sure to get one very important task crossed off the list…

I will just say this: If you’re going to be at HLS this weekend, make sure to come and find me. Winking smile

I’ve got LOTS of these babies to give away.

Once I finally finished up the double batch of sugar cookies, I sat down for a quick lunch of leftovers from last night’s dinner.

Gosh, I just love how soup is that much better the next day.

The bread is still nice and delicious, too. YUM!

Now, I suppose I should get back to work on that one dreaded task on my to-do list that I’ve been putting off…

Ughh, I really dislike packing. I’m so bad at it!

Question for the Afternoon:

What are some of your best tips for packing a suitcase?

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 17, 2011 at 1:46 pm

You bought Thesis! Love that theme. It’s so much easier to comment on I think :)
My best packing tip is to plan out your outfits instead of just throwing random things in which creates a lot of unnecessary clothing! Just make sure you love the outfits first otherwise you’ll end up with no other options!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..WIAW: Vacation style!

2 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 17, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I hate packing too (almost as much as I hate unpacking… that’s even worse, in my book). I’m so bad at it, but the tips my mom taught me is to roll your clothing instead of fold it– keeps it smoother (shockingly) and takes up way less space!

3 Girl In The Pink August 17, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I roll all of my clothes to create more space!
Girl In The Pink recently posted..Coconut Vegan Ice Cream, Yes Please!

4 Lindsey August 17, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Roll your clothes! Saves so much room!
Yum, wish I was at HLS to get cookies ;)
I am going to make your soup this weekend!
Lindsey recently posted..I Can Save Lives!

5 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 17, 2011 at 1:48 pm

If I were to give you tips on packing– you would end up like me and procrastinating until the last minute…

:D

6 Lisa August 17, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Haha, that’s exactly what I was going to say, Brittany! Too bad it doesn’t necessarily “help”… :/

7 Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies August 17, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Definitely rolling up your clothes will help you pack more stuff, if you want to bring more. I’ve heard it also reduces wrinkles, but I’m not completely sure about that. Try to bring things that don’t wrinkle :) Also, put ALL of your shower/body lotions/shampoo stuff in bags! EVERYTHING! Including your toothbrush. You never know what kind of stuff can leak, and that includes from other people’s suitcases… :( I learned the hard way! Pack things you’ll need right away on top. For me this means PJs on top, since I usually need a nap pretty soon after arriving, depending on how long the flight is. For you, it might mean a book or nicer clothes for going out. That way, you don’t have to disrupt your other clothes crazily searching for that ONE item. :)

Those are just the tips I can think of right now. Have fun! :)

8 Lauren @ Lauren Can... August 17, 2011 at 1:51 pm

My fiance would say to roll everything into sausage-like rolls but I think laying everything flat lets you pack more! ;)
Lauren @ Lauren Can… recently posted..cook and eat vegetables like crazy!

9 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 17, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I would put the heavier items down closer to the wheels! If you lay your pants across the bottom then roll the other items and lay them on top of the pants and fold the pant legs over that works well! I wish I was going to HLS so I could get my hands on some of those cookies! lol. Hope you have a great time!
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..Orange Tofu Stir Fry

10 Ellie@fitforthesoul August 17, 2011 at 2:01 pm

ahhh have fun at HLS! Can I still have some cookies even though I’m not there? ;) Like Abby from above.

I’m not a great packer either! But one thing I do like about my packing is that I’m normally a minimal packer. Maybe I’m NOT so bad haha.

11 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled August 17, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Isn’t homemade bread the best? I love my breadmaker and don’t use it nearly enough.
Totally agree that soup is always better the next day. Same is true for chili. So good.
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..Weigh-in Wednesday + ModernMom News

12 Khushboo August 17, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Those cookies look gorgeous! Who u rooming with because boy do I envy her! Happy packing, wish I had tips for you but I have a tendency to always overpack!!
Khushboo recently posted..Holy guacamole!

13 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 17, 2011 at 2:22 pm

okay Court, I’m gonna need you to bring these to the afterparty, k? :)

just one. just save one for my face.
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..You Learn Something New Every Day.

14 Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries August 17, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I totally feel ya on the dislike of packing… Some “pointers” for you: put shoes at the bottom of your suitcase, lay sweatshirts/heavy sweaters flat rather than folding them up (so they take up less room), pack versatile outfits (so you can wear the same pair of shorts/pants with different outfits,etc.). Happy packing! ;)
Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries recently posted..SORE and Just Not Feelin’ It

15 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 17, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Pack light (it’s the summer in Philly! Dresses, shorts, tanks, you’re set.) No need for towels or shampoo (unless your hair needs special TLC, use what the hotel’s got). Get lots of help from Cody (who looks ready/raring to go!)
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..What My Pandora Stations Say About Me!

16 colleen @ thegiftofmondays August 17, 2011 at 2:26 pm

after seeing your soup and bread AND cookies, i’m totally hungry!!! i agree with all the packing tips, especially the one about putting everything that may leak into ziplock bags….sooooo important for sure. i also put my shoes into a plastic grocery bag (i know i should be a better environmentalist and not even have plastic grocery bags but hey, i’m re-purposing them so that should count right?) anyways, back to my tip…wrap your shoes in the grocery bag to keep them from getting your clothes dirty, stuff any socks you’re bringing into your shoes to save room and bring an extra bag for any dirty laundry or wet (bathing suit) items you may be bringing home.

have fun on your trip!!!
colleen @ thegiftofmondays recently posted..today is the first day of the rest of your life

17 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 17, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I start my packing list a few days ahead of time and continously add things as I think of them!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..WIAW – Snack Style

18 Jessica @ Bake a Little August 17, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Your cookies are so pretty!!!
Jessica @ Bake a Little recently posted..Strawberry Stuffed Snickerdoodle Cookies

19 Erica August 17, 2011 at 2:48 pm

i’m a horrible packer! my suitcase never looks neat or organized. my bf on the other hand is a speedy packer and his suitcase is neatly packed…i think because guys clothes are bigger and fold nicer…
Erica recently posted..it’s been killing me!!!

20 Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I wish I was going to HLS! I’m looking forward to reading all about it :)

I am a woeful packer, I’m definitely not in a position to give advice.
Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #1

21 Brittany August 17, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I’m the worst packer ever. I guess the only tip I can give you is plan out your outfits because I usually bring WAY too many clothes and shoes and wear only about 1/4 haha. Also to fold your clothes cause usually I just throw them in and then I find myself having to check bags :/
Brittany recently posted..First Ever WIAW!

22 Diana August 17, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I like to roll things, and if I have specific outfits planned I’ll pack all outfit items together so that I’m not frantically searching for random elements and making a general disaster of the bag…although that tends to be inevitable!
Diana recently posted..I’m baaaack!

23 Melissa August 17, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Yep, just like everyone else said–you gotta roll! It makes SO much more room! I actually just re-packed a bin with all of my sweaters and was able to fit in a ton more by rolling everything. Do it!

I also try to go for one pair of flats and one pair of heels that will go with all of my outfits. And no hairdryer–the hotel usually has one. Even though I’m picky about my hairdryer, I sacrifice in the name of adding in more clothes!
Melissa recently posted..Ice Cream for Breakfast

24 Kait @ One Love Run August 17, 2011 at 4:14 pm

i am the worlds worst packer so I need all the tips I can get too! I seem to manage when I’m headed out for a trip, but when I need to pack once the trip is over its a nightmare, nothing fits!
Kait @ One Love Run recently posted..Yogi Wisdom

25 Alexa @ Simple Eats August 17, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Roll your clothes and make sure you pack enough underwear! Haha, it sounds silly, but I sometimes forget underwear (of all things) and wind up buying a pack as soon as I get there and realize it!

26 Ruthie Hart August 17, 2011 at 4:58 pm

yuck you reminded me that I have to go home and pack tonight for a weekend getaway to LA tomorrow. Love traveling but hate trying to decide what to bring!!

Oh and PS…do you use a cookie cutter or are you just amazeballs at making your cookies look so round?
Ruthie Hart recently posted..20 Something Bloggers Swap

27 Maria@La_Piattini August 17, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Mmm those cookies look so good- I wish I was going to HLS :( Hopefully next year.
For packing a suitcase I usually roll up my clothes. It saves room and there is less wrinkles!
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..Baked French Toast Casserole

28 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 17, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I always roll my clothes up, rather than fold them. Supposedly it keeps them from wrinkling and takes up less room in the suitcase. I don’t know how true that is, but it’s what I do! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..WIAW and “Why do I watch Bachelor Pad?”

29 Kelly August 17, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I am the worst OVER packer!! Seriously I have no tips to offer!
Kelly recently posted..the little things

30 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I HATE packing!!!! ….Roll your clothes and pack minimal shoes. Those are my tips…. Good luck! :) Have fun at HLS!!
Soup looks GREAT….again! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..California- Day 1

31 Shana August 17, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I’m bringing snacks to HLS too! Just a little creation I like to call SunButter Crunch Balls. There will be a post about them tomorrow!
Shana recently posted..Crunch Time

32 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 17, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I always plan out my outfits so I don’t shove everything and anything into the suitcase at night. I always put shoes on the bottom, clothes, and then toiletries on the top!

33 RunEatRepeat August 18, 2011 at 12:29 am

I want a cookie!!!
RunEatRepeat recently posted..My First Cannoli

34 Meg August 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Those cookies look amazing! I love sugar cookies and I am dying to find a good gluten free way of making them :) Have fun in Philly!