Better Recipes, Please!

by Courtney on August 22, 2011

Slowly but surely, I’m getting through all of this information that I soaked right up this past weekend at the Healthy Living Summit. I’m telling you, I was like a sponge and there was no shortage of tips and tricks for me to absorb!

So if you remember me telling you all before, one of the sessions that I sat in on and really enjoyed was by Stepfanie Romine on “How to Write a Better Recipe.”

It’s no secret that I enjoy sharing the occasional recipe here on the ‘ol bloggy, so this session really peaked my interest.

Stepfanie did a great job of conveying the idea that while all bloggers have a unique and creative style, we should not allow that “creativity” to have a negative impact on any recipes we may be sharing with readers. Recipes should be concise and consistent, but also share a little personal creativity as well.

I was reminded that every recipe should include the following six elements:

1. Title
  2. Headnote and tips
  3. Yield (serving size)
  4. Prep/Cook times
  5. Ingredient list
  6. Instructions

Stepfanie also recommended that when writing out the ingredients for a recipe, you should list them in the order that you use them. I’ve recently tried to start doing this more, because I also agree that it makes things so much easier when you’re in the midst of preparing the goods.

In case you’re interested in learning more about recipe development and writing, Stepfanie also recommended the following resources:

Will Write For Food: The Complete Guide to Writing Cookbooks, Restaurant Reviews, Articles, Memoir, Fiction and More, by Dianne Jacob

source

Recipes Into Type: A Handbook for Cookbook Writers and Editors

source

*****

Workout + Lunch

Shortly after I finished up breakfast this morning, it was time to get my sweat on. I wasn’t in the mood for weights, I wasn’t in the mood for the treadmill, and I wasn’t in the mood for yoga. So I ended up doing Jillian Michaels’ Boost Metabolism workout off of Exercise TV. I’ve long been a fan of Jillian’s workout DVD’s, and this 50-minute workout is no joke. I was huffin’ and puffin’ within about 20 minutes…WHEW! Disappointed smile

Once I showered up and finally caught my breath, it was time to make some lunch…err, should I say breakfast?

I was struck with an overwhelming urge for eggs today, so I rolled with it.

Two egg whites, spinach, tomatoes, and onions, topped with ketchup (of course).

I also made myself a simple blueberry protein smoothie:

• 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1 scoop vanilla SunWarrior
  • ~2/3 cup blueberries
  • 4 ice cubes

Everything really hit the spot today!

Questions for the Afternoon:

WOULD YOU RATHER…

• Eat breakfast for lunch -OR- lunch for breakfast?
  • Eat the whole egg -OR- just the egg whites?
  • Be a recipe developer -OR- a recipe taster?

1 Girl In The Pink August 22, 2011 at 1:32 pm

The whole egg – nothing wrong with a little fat in your life! Fat doesn’t make you fat!

2 Lindsey August 22, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Great tips on recipe writing, thanks for sharing!
I love Jillian’s workouts too :)
Breakfast for lunch 100% Really breakfast anytime of the day!
Whole egg, I love hard boiled the best.
Recipe developer, I like being creative in the kitchen and sharing :)
Lindsey recently posted..It’s A Hot One!

3 Lauren August 22, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I was just thinking of going with eggs for lunch today too but for some reason a sweet potato came to me.

Glad the recipe session was great! I would have liked to hear that one if I hadn’t been speaking at the same time. Too much good information and not enough time. :(
Lauren recently posted..My (Brief) Reflection: HLS 2011

4 Courtney August 22, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I know, girl! I really wanted to see your presentation too…but I heard that it went REALLY well! :)

5 Lisa August 22, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Breakfast for ANYTHING! I think there’s no question there. :)
Whole egg. I love fat!
Recipe developer–I love seeing other people’s reactions to my creativity. Hehe ;)
Lisa recently posted..Sunny Seed Story #45: Sunny Seed Crunch Balls

6 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 22, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Breakfast for lunch, egg whites (purly becasue I adore them and their texture), developer! ….I wish I would have had eggs for lunch, school food is yucky! I couldn’t even eat it it looked so yucky!

7 Candice August 22, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Thanks for the recipe tips!! I missed out on the event this year:( Because even though I’ve been blogging for a year I still feel as if I’m a rookie! Hopefully next year Ill be able to join you cute girls!
I never put the prep/cooktime… Good to know!
Breakfast for lunch fo. sure. heck, Ill even have it for dinner!
I stick with egg whites, Ill throw in a yolk from time to time but mainly go for whites.
developer or taster… mmmmm. taster! Then I don’t have the stress if the recipe doesn’t come out as explained.
Candice recently posted..The final countdown

8 Shanna, Like Banana August 22, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I thought she was super informative and it’s good to know the right etiquette for resposting other’s recipes too! I was always a bit unsure about that.

As for WYR:

Breakfast for lunch!
No eggs at all (ick), but if I had to, eggwhites
Recipe taster? Heck yes!
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..HLS Part 2–inspired!

9 Courtney August 22, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Oh man! I forgot all about that part…and that was probably the part I liked hearing the most! I’ll have to mention that next :)

10 Charlie August 22, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Eat breakfast for lunch, I could eat breakfast 3 times a day!
Eat the whole egg, the yolk is my favorite part!
Be a recipe developer (you also have to taste your recipes :P).
Charlie recently posted..Ice Cream Challenge Entries

11 Khushboo August 22, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Breakfast for all 3 meals pls! Thanks for sharing the recipe tips! Love the look of your lunch but I’m waiting for some moron to attack you for lack of carbs-GAH! As much as I do love me a runny yolk, im more if an egg-white girl!
Khushboo recently posted..To my friends

12 Diana August 22, 2011 at 2:26 pm

SUCH fun would you rathers!

– breakfast for lunch…and dinner…and snack…and dessert
– egg whites
– recipe developer – I wish I had that creativity and refined palate!
Diana recently posted..Cleaning, the delicious way

13 Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries August 22, 2011 at 2:27 pm

WYR:
Definitely breakfast for lunch! and dinner too! I love breakfast.

Eat the whole egg! The yolk has the flavor. Yum.

Recipe TASTER for sure!
Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries recently posted..Finding Encouragement in Healthy Living Blogs

14 Sarah @ Simply Dove August 22, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I’m with you! I’d rather eat breakfast for lunch! And the whole egg please! I haven’t gotten into the egg white only thing yet. But I’m considering making the switch. It’s supposed to be healthier without the yolk right? Does it taste like a whole egg?

And I’d much rather be a recipe taster! Although I’m not sure that would be beneficial to my waistline! I’d just have to exercise more I guess!!
Sarah @ Simply Dove recently posted..Scenes from the Weekend

15 Courtney August 22, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Well, I’m not sure about healthier overall. The yolk does provide some extra fat which is good, but if eaten in excess, are higher in cholesterol. I think it’s just all about personal preference. I like to switch it up – sometimes the full egg, sometimes just the whites.
Egg whites alone taste different from a whole egg; not quite as much flavor, so I like to add a little extra salt and pepper. :)

16 Sarah @ Simply Dove August 22, 2011 at 3:09 pm

That’s true! I don’t eat an excessive amount of eggs, so the extra cholesterol probably isn’t too bad. Switching it up is a good idea! I’ll definitely give them a try! :)
Sarah @ Simply Dove recently posted..Scenes from the Weekend

17 Laura Fredlund August 22, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Breakfast for lunch, EGG WHITES all the way ;) esp. hard boiled, and recipe taster!!

18 Sue August 22, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Any chance of sharing the “Jello” cookie recipe? It sounds interesting!!!

19 Courtney August 22, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I’ll have to see what I can do about that, Sue! ;)

20 Kelly August 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Breakfast for lunch
The whole egg…especially over easy eggs!!
Recipe developer
Kelly recently posted..the classics

21 Maria@La_Piattini August 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Definitely breakfast for lunch…or dinner for that matter! I’m a huge breakfast foods fan. Pancakes, scones, muffins, french toast, you name it- I’m in!
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..Sick Shore Summary

22 Julia August 22, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I love me a whole egg, at lunch, made by someone else, from a recipe.
Think I got all of them!

23 Erica August 22, 2011 at 2:57 pm

-breakfast for lunch!
-whole egg…probably healthier to eat just egg whites but a whole egg tastes better!
-of course i’d much rather be the taster!!!! =)
Erica recently posted..what’s goin’ on

24 Rebecca August 22, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Breakfast for lunch! It’s not unusual for me to do breakfast for dinner, lunch is a rarity though. Your eggs and smoothie look amazing!

25 Faith August 22, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Breakfast for lunch everytime. I’m a new follower and found you on Peanut Butter Fingers. Love the tips already!!

26 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 22, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I love the tips everyone’s posted about writing recipes. I’m definitely guilty of a few of the no-nos!
I have to eat breakfast foods before I consume anything else in the day no matter what time so definitely breakfast for lunch!
Whole egg (not an egg white only fan) and recipe tester for sure!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Confessions

27 Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes August 22, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Oooh great recipe tips! Being a newer blogger that loves to share recipes, this is great for me! Thanks!

Breakfast for lunch – I love breakfast food! I eat breakfast for all meals sometimes!

Definitely the whole egg – I love over easy eggs, and dipping my toast into the yolk! YUMYUM!

The last one’s tough – my creativity sometimes lacks in the recipe department, so I’d go with taster!
Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes recently posted..When 18 Becomes 15 (Day 27)

28 Ruthie Hart August 22, 2011 at 4:00 pm

thank you for posting this!! I never put serving sizes on my recipes and I need to start!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Livin’ Life LA

29 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 22, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Are your glasses from Crate & Barrel? I think I have the same ones! :-)

30 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 22, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Thanks for sharing the recipe tips! I would rather eat breakfast for lunch, eat the whole egg, and definitely be a recipe taster. Actually, if you ever need anyone to taste your sweet goodies, I’d be game :)
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Morning Hunger

31 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 22, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Thanks for adding these tips for those of us who couldn’t make it to HLS :)
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Front-Door Photos

32 sarah@spinach and spice August 22, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Whole egg for me!
Preferably runny, over spinach and tomatoes with whole grain mustard. The yolk with the mustard is a perfect “dressing” :D
I eat this for breakfast a lot, or lunch.. or dinner. Pretty much a go-to of mine!
sarah@spinach and spice recently posted..The (Lazy Man’s) Breakfast of Champions

33 Amy August 22, 2011 at 4:40 pm

How do you like the Sunwarrior protein powder? I’ve been wanting to try it.

34 Courtney August 22, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I LOVE it! Probably the best powder I’ve tried so far :)

35 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled August 22, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I love JM’s Boost Metabolism workout. You’re right, it is a killer!

I think breakfast is great any time of the day. The same cannot be said for the other meals, for me anyway. I could never have dinner for breakfast or lunch, or lunch for breakfast. But brinner (breakfast for dinner)? Yes, please.
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..There’s A Kid In All of Us

36 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries August 22, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Breakfast for breakfast, lunch AND dinner :)
I don’t mind eating the whole egg when it’s a dippy egg, but a hard-boiled egg I only eat the whites!
Annnd let’s be honest – I’d rather be a recipe tester. I’m like a vacuum.
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Take Back Your Health [Give Away!]

37 Shayla @ The Good Life August 22, 2011 at 6:57 pm

1. Definitely eat breakfast for lunch…breakfast foods are my absolute fav!

2. I’d rather eat the whole egg but do so moderately because I have high cholesterol, I have to be super careful with my diet because I’m so sensitive to it, it’s in our genes! :(

3. Definitely a recipe taster – give me any excuse to eat all day, yes please!
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Sunday Traditions

38 Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel August 22, 2011 at 7:01 pm

breakfast for lunch, for sure. except this morning when i woke up i really wanted a sandwich! lol

WHOLE EGG :) the yolk is my fav :)

recipe developer all the way!
Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel recently posted..Trail Running Group

39 CJ @ Http://healthy-happy-whole.com August 22, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I Think I could eat breakfast food pretty much any meal of the day! I was really bummed I didn’t get to meet you this weekend since I very much enjoy reading your blog, and love the fashion element. Hopefully next years HLS I’ll get to come say hi!!!

40 Courtney August 22, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I know! I really wish we could have had a chance to talk. The weekend went by SO fast, didn’t it?
Like you said…hopefully next year :)

41 Brittany August 22, 2011 at 7:45 pm

These are really helpful tips! I always feel like I’m writing it bad.
Breakfast for lunch. It’s my favorite meal I could honestly have breakfast ALL day and be happy.
The whole egg probably. I usually like to mix whole eggs with the whites.
Recipe tester! No need to think :D

42 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) August 22, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I’m pretty sure I typically end up being a recipe developer AND taster when I’m in the kitchen. :) But if I had to choose, definitely developer. I like having others taste!
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Writing a Better Recipe (and Blueberry Graham Whoopie Pies)

43 Liz @ iheartvegetables August 22, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Breakfast for lunch, egg whites, and recipe developer!

Those are great recipe creating tips! I need to remember to put my ingredients in order!
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..The “All-You-Can-Eat” Recipe Round Up

44 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 22, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I would have loved to go to that conference! It sounds interesting.

DEFINITELY breakfast for lunch.
Whole egg
Recipe taster. Duh. ;)

45 Kayla @ Sprouty Buns August 22, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Breakfast for lunch … and dinner :)
The whole egg, preferably poached
A recipe developer – I enjoy my food so much more when I’ve made it myself! And it always feels good to make other tummies happy with something you created :)
Kayla @ Sprouty Buns recently posted..Self Induced ADD

46 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 22, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I would rather eat breakfast for lunch, 1 whole egg with the rest egg whites, and be a recipe taster. Sometimes I just get too frazzled when trying to come up with the right amounts for ingredients. lol.

47 Katie @ Plates and Paste August 23, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Breakfast for lunch (I can’t eat that much for breakfast). Egg whites (healthier). Recipe taster! I’m not much one for creating recipes…I wouldn’t know where to begin!

Going to add that Will Write for Food book to my list of books I want!
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Soup du Jour

48 Julie @ Sugarfoot Eats August 23, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I just ordered “Will Write for Food”. Can’t wait to read it!
Julie @ Sugarfoot Eats recently posted..Restaurant Review: Knolla’s Pizza

49 kristen August 26, 2011 at 11:23 am

breakfast for lunch (especially for dinner!)
Whole egg
Defiantly recipe taster (esp desserts! YUM!)
kristen recently posted..See How You Can Personalize Your Blog with Custom Fonts and CSS

50 Shana August 26, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I bought a copy of Will Write for Food just before HLS and I am so happy I did! It is filled with great tips and I am only on Chapter 2!
Shana recently posted..Healthy Living Summit