Lunchbox Dinner

by Courtney on August 22, 2011

I don’t know what it is, but ever since I finished my workout this morning and ate lunch, my entire body has just felt off. I’ve had a lingering headache (which I rarely get) and an upset stomach for most of the afternoon. No idea what’s going on there.

But hey, since I always try to look at the positive side of things, my less-than-stellar symptoms did keep me at my computer for most of the day and I actually got a lot accomplished: I tackled my inbox, took care of some writing, and even updated a few more pages on the Wedding Page. Check it out:

Getting Ready

Flowers

Wedding Party

Ceremony

Reception

The wedding pages actually take a lot longer than I thought they would, but that’s because I’m also trying to add a little more to them. I’ve said before that it’s a bummer that I wasn’t yet blogging at the time that I got married, so I’m now trying to squeeze in some of the details that I probably would have before. I only have a couple left, but hopefully you’ll enjoy the new ones!

Lunchbox Dinner

Nothing specific was on the dinner menu tonight since we were supposed to have a softball game which ended up getting cancelled due to rain. I also never made it to the grocery store today, so that meant dinner was sort of thrown together last minute.

When all else fails? You can’t beat a classic PB&J sandwich.

Along with my PB&J, I snacked on some celery sticks with more PB and a Musselman’s applesauce that came out of this weekend’s swag bag.

As I was sitting down to eat this, I couldn’t help but think that it looked just like a lunch that my mom would have packed up in my lunchbox for me when I was little…only, it probably would have had a Little Debbie cosmic brownie or pack of zebra cakes in there too.

Luckily, I don’t have the latter anywhere in this house. Otherwise, I’d probably eat it for dessert. Winking smile

Questions for the Evening:

Did you buy or bring your lunches when you were in school?

I did not buy a single lunch from school until I was in high school. So thank you, mom, for packing all of those thousands of lunches for me with love.

What did a typical lunchbox meal look like for you?

1 Sweet and Savvy August 22, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I love dinners like that sometimes! PB&J’s NEVER fail.. :)

and I have always been a religious lunch packer. I’ve never been a fan of mystery meat!
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Even More Summer

2 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles August 22, 2011 at 7:46 pm

My mom packed my lunch for me every day in elementary school. I was such a picky eater and wouldn’t eat the school’s lunch! Cheese sandwiches, grapes and dunkaroo’s (do you remember those?!) got me through those days. :)
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Raw Food + Meat

3 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 22, 2011 at 7:48 pm

As I said earlier, you looks so so pretty at your wedding! I loved my packed lunches! They usually consisted of a sandwich (pb and j or turkey), chips or pretzles, a fruit, and a sweet treat- nutty bars were my fav!
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Morning Hunger

4 Melissa August 22, 2011 at 8:28 pm

My dad always packed my lunches. :) I liked bologna and ketchup sandwiches–I know. Gross, but I loved ‘em! I only bought lunch on pizza days and when they had mac ‘n cheese, but not for the macaroni. It was rubbery and disgusting, but they served giant cinnamon rolls with it and I had to have one of those!
Melissa recently posted..Traveler

5 Courtney August 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Bologna and ketchup used to be a favorite of mine too!!!! With chips inside :)
And if we were out of bologna, ham worked too.

6 Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes August 23, 2011 at 11:54 am

Giant cinnamon rolls with Mac & Cheese? That sounds like an interesting combination!
Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes recently posted..Monday Love (Day 26)

7 christina cadden August 22, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I took my lunches because the school lunches were way too greasy!

8 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 22, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I’ll be needing to pack a lot of these ‘lunch box’ lunches this year. I like where your head is at! I need to buy some celery and peanut butter!!! OH YES! That will brighten any day at school!!! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..California- Day #3

9 Victoria (District Chocoholic) August 22, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Obviously, you need to develop a recipe for zebra cakes so that you *do* have them around the house.

10 Maria@La_Piattini August 22, 2011 at 8:36 pm

My mom packed my lunches up until I was in high school. Now that I’m a teacher I do pack my own lunch every single day. Your sandwich is so cute cut in 4′s!

11 Lisa August 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm

You absolutely cannot go wrong with PB&J! I had the oatmeal cream pies, Cosmic Brownies, or Nutty bars in my lunches as a middle schooler. Those were the days, haha.

12 Shayla @ The Good Life August 22, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Nothing’s better than a PB&J for dinner!

My mom always packed my lunch for me – I actually despised sandwiches as a kid so it was always a bagel with either peanut butter or cream cheese with a fruit and a lil treat. Or a Lunchables…remember those?!

She thought it was a waste of money for me to buy lunch but at the time I always just thought it was “cool” to buy it….now that I’m on my own and know the value of a dollar I now totally understand and will definitely be packing my children’s lunches ;)

13 Jess @ Jess Go Bananas August 22, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I always brought my lunch which always contained a pb & j as well! I had a barbie lunchbox :)

14 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 22, 2011 at 9:36 pm

My mom always packed my lunch in elementary school. It usually consisted of chicken nuggets, some type of veggie, and probably some cookies.

My lunch in high school was HORRIBLE. All of us girls would just get a mini bag of chips and a peach ice tea. Yikes!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The Kentucky State Fair + an unexpected detour.

15 Lyndsi @ Lyndsi and David August 22, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I love your wedding page! I’m trying to get mine finished before my one-year anniversary (Oct. 1!) even though I started the blog to document our wedding :/

16 Courtney August 22, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Thank you!! :)

17 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 22, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I’d usually do a mix of buying & packing lunch until I got to high school & always bought! Now I always bring my lunch from home to work!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..The Honeymoon, Day 4

18 jen August 22, 2011 at 9:51 pm

i’ve had a headache all day too–it must be HLS withdrawal!
jen recently posted..Conference Day

19 Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries August 22, 2011 at 9:51 pm

You can’t go wrong with a good ol’ PB&J!

I was only allowed to buy lunch once (maybe twice) a week. Other than that, I’d usually always get a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (with strawberry jelly), a carton of milk, a piece of fruit or carton of applesauce, and some cookies and/or crackers. Oh and of course a napkin with a cute little note from my mom. :)
Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries recently posted..To Be A Kid Again…

20 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 22, 2011 at 10:13 pm

That looks so, so good! Peanut butter and jelly is always such a winner! I used to pack my lunch every day growing up and it was typically a peanut butter sandwich with strawberry jelly and cheetos puffs. Super healthy I know! lol. I still pack my lunches now but usually it is leftover supper from the night before or a much healthier option! :)
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..Last First Day

21 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign August 22, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Cute! I love my sandwiches cut into little triangles too! It makes them more fun to eat.

I can’t wait to check out the wedding pages!

I always brought my lunch to school and only bought on days like “mini corn dogs” and “dinosaur chicken nuggets” haha. Now-a-days, my lunch includes a turkey sandwich, salad, or soup usually!
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Melt my Heart + Easy Peasy Mac n’ Cheesy

22 Gina @ running to the kitchen August 22, 2011 at 10:42 pm

My mom always packed our lunches until high school too. I was always the kid with wheat bread, and fruit for dessert while everyone had fun things like gushers, those cheese stick snack things or twinkies. I hated it then but definitely appreciate it more now!
Gina @ running to the kitchen recently posted..Confessions

23 Lindsay August 22, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I had the same sort of dinner tonight…grilled cheese! (With fresh heirloom tomatoes!)

I don’t think I ever had a school lunch! My mom packed me a lunch until I went to high school, and then I made one for myself everyday. Those school lunches always looked so gross, I just could never eat them. Even when I forgot my lunch I would just get the fruit.
Lindsay recently posted..Why Blog?

24 Sana August 22, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Bodies always get weird after traveling, I hope you feel better soon!

25 Courtney August 23, 2011 at 7:21 am

Thanks, Sana :)
P.S. – Wish you were there this weekend! Would have loved seeing you again!

26 Lindsey August 22, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I love suppers like that! I cut my PB&J’s the same way :)
My Mom always packed my lunch, and it always included a PB&J (will always be my fav!), a piece of fruit, veggies and then home baking of some sort. And a juice box. If I was lucky a fruit roll up might appear every once in awhile!
Starting in High School I got $5 on Friday’s to buy my lunch and always got a chicken sandwich and Coke slush!
Lindsey recently posted..It’s A Hot One!

27 Courtney August 23, 2011 at 7:23 am

I love that you call them suppers!
I switch back and forth with saying dinner and supper and I always feel like people look at me weird when I say it…thanks for making me feel less weird :-D

28 Lindsey August 23, 2011 at 10:30 am

haha, anytime!
Lindsey recently posted..It’s A Hot One!

29 Lorin August 22, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I had pb and j sandwiches EVERY DAY for lunch during high school. FInally during senior year, I got more into Nutrition (not that pb and j’s are bad for you, but I was missing some other nutrients in my life) and got more creative. My friends always fun of me for it, but it was delicious! Peanut butter is my favorite food though. I want to make Evan’s peanut puppy chow I just found it!

30 Jackie @ That Deep Breath August 23, 2011 at 12:13 am

Elementary school I always brought a lunch from home, but middle school and high school I never brought or bought a lunch. I was never hungry at lunch time so I would wait until I got home or to a friends house to eat lunch
Jackie @ That Deep Breath recently posted..A-Z Survey

31 Heather August 23, 2011 at 12:18 am

LOVE pb and J! I remember getting little baggies of chips and putting the chips in my tuna sandwich. I also loved corn beef on rye but the corn beef was sliced super thin. Fun fruits or fruit roll ups and drinking boxes were also mainstays!
Heather recently posted..The Big, Bad "C" Word

32 Khushboo August 23, 2011 at 12:57 am

LOVE when my lunches end up like a 5th grader’s lunchbox- so fun! I actually had the most unhealthy lunchbox as a kid- bag of chips, cookies, and a cereal bar! I wish I could put the blame on someone else but I gave my mom hell as a kid- I would throw a tantrum if she remotely tried to alter it! However when high school came along, so did my interest in nutrition and so I started making way more healthier choices…well as healthy as I can considering I was in boarding school and canteen food isn’t always appealing!
Khushboo recently posted..To my friends

33 Cait August 23, 2011 at 7:38 am

haha how fabulous :) i loved your recaps of your wedding. im trying to do that now even while im PLANNING ha. ooo the classic pb&j is always in my lunchbox..except im more of a pb kinda girl ha!

34 Kelly August 23, 2011 at 8:27 am

In elementary school I did both…buy and brown bag it. I didn’t care either way. I wasn’t (and still am not) a picky eater. My parents had it good with me. I basically ate whatever they put in front of me without question. My brother on the other hand…now that is an entirely different story.

Hope you feel better today!

35 Cute~Ella August 23, 2011 at 9:21 am

We bought a lot of lunches growing up, but the food at our school was pretty decent. Decent enough that until my parents retired from the school, I’d sometimes join them for lunch! Also, I still make some of the stuff they served, it was that tasty.

When we did bring our lunch it was usually ham and cheese on a Foti’s roll (local Italian place back home) or wheat bread. The we had fruit, 1 Swiss Cake Roll or pretzels and a Ssips ice tea box.
Cute~Ella recently posted..Sassy and Salty Chocolate Chip Cookies

36 Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes August 23, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Since I grew up a single parent house, my mom was eligible for the “reduced” lunch program. I remember getting a quarter, dime, and nickel to buy school lunch all through elementary school. I don’t remember how much it cost in middle and high school but I bought lunch throughout all of my school years because it was cheaper for my mom.

I always got pizza (it was really good – or at least I thought back then), calzones, chicken nuggets, fries, and Arizona iced tea. All the healthy stuff. Yikes, glad I had a super metabolism and my mom fed us healthy delicious dinners!
Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes recently posted..Monday Love (Day 26)

37 Lindsay August 23, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Shark bites!

38 Courtney August 23, 2011 at 12:48 pm

OMG! I remember those!! :)

39 Ashley A. August 23, 2011 at 2:12 pm

My mom would always pack my lunch in elementary school. It was usually something like a ham and egg taco (my parents are extreme Mexican’s) and an apple, banana, or orange. Whenever we ran out of fruit, it was a Little Debbie Brownie or cookies. My dad would secretly give me a quarter (two on Friday’s – Woop Woop Payday!) for my sugary fixins’ ;)

40 kristen August 26, 2011 at 11:25 am

I had a packed lunch pretty much until college. Now that I work, I still bring my lunch. People at work actually look at me and say “do you ever buy?” but I cant find myself to eat greasy old food in the hospital cafeteria for 5 bucks. doesnt make sense to me
kristen recently posted..See How You Can Personalize Your Blog with Custom Fonts and CSS

41 caloricandcrazy September 11, 2011 at 12:34 am

That PB&J looked so good in the close-up!
I used to have carrots sticks and hummus, gushers, capri sun, and chips of some sort. I was that weird kid that only drank a glass of milk for brekkie cause I didn’t like eating anything before lunch time. Nowadays, I have to have breakfast otherwise I’d be one cranky young lady!

By the way, cute blog ^^