Lunchbox Dinner

I don’t know what it is, but ever since I finished my workout this morning and ate lunch, my entire body has just felt off. I’ve had a lingering headache (which I rarely get) and an upset stomach for most of the afternoon. No idea what’s going on there.

But hey, since I always try to look at the positive side of things, my less-than-stellar symptoms did keep me at my computer for most of the day and I actually got a lot accomplished: I tackled my inbox, took care of some writing, and even updated a few more pages on the Wedding Page. Check it out:

Getting Ready

Flowers

Wedding Party

Ceremony

Reception

The wedding pages actually take a lot longer than I thought they would, but that’s because I’m also trying to add a little more to them. I’ve said before that it’s a bummer that I wasn’t yet blogging at the time that I got married, so I’m now trying to squeeze in some of the details that I probably would have before. I only have a couple left, but hopefully you’ll enjoy the new ones!

Lunchbox Dinner

Nothing specific was on the dinner menu tonight since we were supposed to have a softball game which ended up getting cancelled due to rain. I also never made it to the grocery store today, so that meant dinner was sort of thrown together last minute.

When all else fails? You can’t beat a classic PB&J sandwich.

Along with my PB&J, I snacked on some celery sticks with more PB and a Musselman’s applesauce that came out of this weekend’s swag bag.

As I was sitting down to eat this, I couldn’t help but think that it looked just like a lunch that my mom would have packed up in my lunchbox for me when I was little…only, it probably would have had a Little Debbie cosmic brownie or pack of zebra cakes in there too.

Luckily, I don’t have the latter anywhere in this house. Otherwise, I’d probably eat it for dessert. Winking smile

Questions for the Evening:

Did you buy or bring your lunches when you were in school?

I did not buy a single lunch from school until I was in high school. So thank you, mom, for packing all of those thousands of lunches for me with love.

What did a typical lunchbox meal look like for you?

Comments

My dad always packed my lunches. :) I liked bologna and ketchup sandwiches–I know. Gross, but I loved ‘em! I only bought lunch on pizza days and when they had mac ‘n cheese, but not for the macaroni. It was rubbery and disgusting, but they served giant cinnamon rolls with it and I had to have one of those!
    Melissa recently posted..Traveler

You absolutely cannot go wrong with PB&J! I had the oatmeal cream pies, Cosmic Brownies, or Nutty bars in my lunches as a middle schooler. Those were the days, haha.

Nothing’s better than a PB&J for dinner!

My mom always packed my lunch for me – I actually despised sandwiches as a kid so it was always a bagel with either peanut butter or cream cheese with a fruit and a lil treat. Or a Lunchables…remember those?!

She thought it was a waste of money for me to buy lunch but at the time I always just thought it was “cool” to buy it….now that I’m on my own and know the value of a dollar I now totally understand and will definitely be packing my children’s lunches ;)

You can’t go wrong with a good ol’ PB&J!

I was only allowed to buy lunch once (maybe twice) a week. Other than that, I’d usually always get a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (with strawberry jelly), a carton of milk, a piece of fruit or carton of applesauce, and some cookies and/or crackers. Oh and of course a napkin with a cute little note from my mom. :)
    Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries recently posted..To Be A Kid Again…

That looks so, so good! Peanut butter and jelly is always such a winner! I used to pack my lunch every day growing up and it was typically a peanut butter sandwich with strawberry jelly and cheetos puffs. Super healthy I know! lol. I still pack my lunches now but usually it is leftover supper from the night before or a much healthier option! :)
    Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..Last First Day

My mom always packed our lunches until high school too. I was always the kid with wheat bread, and fruit for dessert while everyone had fun things like gushers, those cheese stick snack things or twinkies. I hated it then but definitely appreciate it more now!
    Gina @ running to the kitchen recently posted..Confessions

I had the same sort of dinner tonight…grilled cheese! (With fresh heirloom tomatoes!)

I don’t think I ever had a school lunch! My mom packed me a lunch until I went to high school, and then I made one for myself everyday. Those school lunches always looked so gross, I just could never eat them. Even when I forgot my lunch I would just get the fruit.
    Lindsay recently posted..Why Blog?

I love suppers like that! I cut my PB&J’s the same way :)
    My Mom always packed my lunch, and it always included a PB&J (will always be my fav!), a piece of fruit, veggies and then home baking of some sort. And a juice box. If I was lucky a fruit roll up might appear every once in awhile!
    Starting in High School I got $5 on Friday’s to buy my lunch and always got a chicken sandwich and Coke slush!
    Lindsey recently posted..It’s A Hot One!

9. Lorin says

I had pb and j sandwiches EVERY DAY for lunch during high school. FInally during senior year, I got more into Nutrition (not that pb and j’s are bad for you, but I was missing some other nutrients in my life) and got more creative. My friends always fun of me for it, but it was delicious! Peanut butter is my favorite food though. I want to make Evan’s peanut puppy chow I just found it!

Elementary school I always brought a lunch from home, but middle school and high school I never brought or bought a lunch. I was never hungry at lunch time so I would wait until I got home or to a friends house to eat lunch
    Jackie @ That Deep Breath recently posted..A-Z Survey

LOVE pb and J! I remember getting little baggies of chips and putting the chips in my tuna sandwich. I also loved corn beef on rye but the corn beef was sliced super thin. Fun fruits or fruit roll ups and drinking boxes were also mainstays!
    Heather recently posted..The Big, Bad "C" Word

LOVE when my lunches end up like a 5th grader’s lunchbox- so fun! I actually had the most unhealthy lunchbox as a kid- bag of chips, cookies, and a cereal bar! I wish I could put the blame on someone else but I gave my mom hell as a kid- I would throw a tantrum if she remotely tried to alter it! However when high school came along, so did my interest in nutrition and so I started making way more healthier choices…well as healthy as I can considering I was in boarding school and canteen food isn’t always appealing!
    Khushboo recently posted..To my friends

haha how fabulous :) i loved your recaps of your wedding. im trying to do that now even while im PLANNING ha. ooo the classic pb&j is always in my lunchbox..except im more of a pb kinda girl ha!

In elementary school I did both…buy and brown bag it. I didn’t care either way. I wasn’t (and still am not) a picky eater. My parents had it good with me. I basically ate whatever they put in front of me without question. My brother on the other hand…now that is an entirely different story.

Hope you feel better today!

We bought a lot of lunches growing up, but the food at our school was pretty decent. Decent enough that until my parents retired from the school, I’d sometimes join them for lunch! Also, I still make some of the stuff they served, it was that tasty.

When we did bring our lunch it was usually ham and cheese on a Foti’s roll (local Italian place back home) or wheat bread. The we had fruit, 1 Swiss Cake Roll or pretzels and a Ssips ice tea box.
    Cute~Ella recently posted..Sassy and Salty Chocolate Chip Cookies

Since I grew up a single parent house, my mom was eligible for the “reduced” lunch program. I remember getting a quarter, dime, and nickel to buy school lunch all through elementary school. I don’t remember how much it cost in middle and high school but I bought lunch throughout all of my school years because it was cheaper for my mom.

I always got pizza (it was really good – or at least I thought back then), calzones, chicken nuggets, fries, and Arizona iced tea. All the healthy stuff. Yikes, glad I had a super metabolism and my mom fed us healthy delicious dinners!
    Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes recently posted..Monday Love (Day 26)

17. Ashley A. says

My mom would always pack my lunch in elementary school. It was usually something like a ham and egg taco (my parents are extreme Mexican’s) and an apple, banana, or orange. Whenever we ran out of fruit, it was a Little Debbie Brownie or cookies. My dad would secretly give me a quarter (two on Friday’s – Woop Woop Payday!) for my sugary fixins’ ;)

That PB&J looked so good in the close-up!
    I used to have carrots sticks and hummus, gushers, capri sun, and chips of some sort. I was that weird kid that only drank a glass of milk for brekkie cause I didn’t like eating anything before lunch time. Nowadays, I have to have breakfast otherwise I’d be one cranky young lady!

By the way, cute blog ^^