Missing Motivation

Since I was feeling hungry pretty much right after I woke up this morning, I figured I would just make some breakfast and then take care of the workout once everything digested.

Really, I should know by now that this plan of attack is usually not in my best interest because if the workout doesn’t get done right away, the motivation goes straight downhill.

Luckily, it wasn’t a total lost cause, and I was able to squeeze in a mini “Wednesday Mash Up” routine:

Most of the time, it just takes a few minutes of getting started for my motivation to return, but today was just not one of those days. I kept things on the lighter side and waited very impatiently for my yoga video to finish.

Maybe it’s because I was also dealing with a rumbling tummy and ready to dive into the lunch I concocted in my head while in the midst of all of my down dogs?

I enjoyed my mid-day meal al fresco today, which included a big, colorful salad made up of spinach, cukes, tomato (SO good!), carrots, and a few blobs of Chavrie goat cheese. My veggies got a little drizzle of light balsamic vinaigrette after the photo was taken, too.

I also munched on some of my leftover Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese, as promised, and it was just as good (if not better) than last night. Winking smile

I was craving something sweet afterward (no surprise there) so I finished up with a dark chocolate adora disk that came out of this weekend’s swag bag. I think these may just be my favorite way to get my calcium intake.

Now it’s time to get to work on crossing a few more things off of my to-do list!

Questions for the Afternoon:

What’s your favorite time of day to workout?

What’s your least favorite time of day to workout?

Comments

8am, is my ideal time! Too bad that’s when work starts ;) I don’t have at least favorite really – not a fan of 6am at first but when it frees up my evening I like it a lot better. I usually workout around 5:30-6pm after work which isn’t idea either but it works.
    On weekend I also have to workout right away or else I loose the motivation.
    I love adora discs!
    Lindsey recently posted..Treat Day

My favorite time of day to workout is mid morning. My breakfast has digested, I feel awake, I get to eat lunch soon after, but it’s not so late that I feel sluggish and unmotivated.

My least favorite time to workout is evening because then I can’t get to sleep very well from the adrenaline rush I get when I’m working out. I also just prefer to get my workout finished earlier in the day.
    Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries recently posted..Yogurt, Yogurt, and More Yogurt! (Plus FREE Yogurt Coupon!)

My favorite time is in the morning because I get it out of the way and have the rest of the day not worrying about it!
    My least favorite is late at night when the gym is SUPER crowded. (As in 6-7pm)
    Brittany recently posted..WIAW Round TWO!

4. Kathryn says

My favorite time to work out is first thing in the morning, 5 am or so. The problem is, I’m just too dang tired to drag myself out of bed! Lol, I really need to work on that. Hubby promised that if I can drag myself to the gym and be back home by 7am, then he’ll make sure the kids are taken care of. You know, I think I’ll take this weekend to go to bed early and try to get to the gym on Monday. Now if I could just figure out how to make myself fall asleep before 12 or 1am. Ugh.

I feel the exact same way about my workouts…if I don’t get them done first thing in the morning, I most likely won’t do them at all!

I love workout out at 7am. I can check something off my list by 8! My least favorite time is in the afternoon because it breaks up my day too much.
    Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Run Done!

I love evening workouts. They are my way to destress after long work days and help relax before bed.

I hate morning workouts because I have a hard time waking up anyway so less sleep in order to workout is horrible. I’m a grouch the rest of the day.
    Cynthia (It All Changes) recently posted..E-A-G-L-E-S

Even if it’s hard to get up, morning workouts are still my fav b/c it makes me feel so energized all day! Evening being my least fav b/c it feels like a hassle & I’m forcing myself to do it when I just want to be at home after being at work all day.
    Kelly @ Not So Rocky Road recently posted..The True Meaning

I would love to be a morning exerciser, but I feel that I have way more energy late in the afternoon (that is, once I get going and past the 5 pm “lets take a nap” feeling). I am so dead in the morning and so NOT a morning person that it is hard for me to do anything but sip coffee. I so desperately want to convert when I start my job on Monday though!
    Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Awesome Almonds Giveaway

On weekdays- before work, 6:00, I need to be running or I’m going to be too pooed by the time I get home to do it. I don’t like to workout when I’m stressed from work because then while I’m working out I’m thinking about it and just getting more stressed. ….Start the day off on the right foot and get after it is what has been working for me!
    Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Work is fun!

I am totally with ya – if my workout doesn’t get done right away, I have a much harder time motivating myself to do it later on! But I often wake up hungry too…so this is a problem!!

I’m a big morning workout person. Luckily I’m a teacher and had the Summer off so I was able to wake up each day and head right to the gym. Once school starts it’s definitely more tough for me to still have that motivation after work each day.
    Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..August Date: Parasailing

Hey, I just recently found your blog. I’m Jen! My favorite time to exercise is definitely in the morning. I head to the gym shortly after I finish breakfast. I love getting my workouts out of the way early, because then I have the rest of the day to be sweat-free! That macaroni sounds incredible, by the way. I want some!

13. Heather says

Morning, although I have a question – you seem to work out every (or nearly every) day – do you also shower every day? How do you keep your hair from getting gross? I want to work out more often but I know my hair is going to suffer if I shampoo daily :( I’m curious how you do it!

• Courtney says

Well, it depends on how sweaty the workout was ;)

No matter what, I always shower. Otherwise, I don’t think hubby would want to snuggle on the couch with me anymore. Typically, on days where I’m doing more weights than cardio and don’t sweat as much then I won’t wash my hair. I wear a snazzy shower cap and then use a little dry shampoo to freshen up (I love Oscar Blandi). So I’d say there’s probably only 2-3 days a week where I don’t wash it.

I really prefer to workout in the am but with a class that starts at 7:30 2 days a week and an internship 30 minutes away that starts at 8:30 I can’t seem to drag my booty out of bed for an early morning workout, maybe after the first week when my body gets used to not sleeping in? My least favorite time is mid day, not motivation then what so ever!

I love early morning workouts! I pretty much hate working out right after work – I’m hungry, I’m exhausted from the work day, and I often tell myself I will “go for a run later” when in fact I just go straight to my kitchen and then my couch. Woops!
    Diana Amy recently posted..Seeing the single digits

I’m struggling to figure out what my routine is going to be! I just started a new teaching job. I leave between 6 and 6:30 in the morning and get home between 5:30 and 6:30 at night and need to make dinner. And then I don’t feel like working out right after eating. But I have to go to bed so early to be ready for my fourth graders the next day!

After this first week, I’ll probably experiment with different times, but it’s definitely a struggle! In the summers or at my old job when I got home closer to 4, I loved working out right when I got home. I would just beat the after 5:00 work crowd to the gym!

• Nikki says

I would say come home, make dinner (or better yet make it the night before) and then go to the gym around 8:00 when a TV show you like is on. I leave for work around 7:00 every morning and I workout in the evening because I don’t think it’s fair to my colleagues to be utterly exhausted during the day.

17. Nikki says

I think people who are unemployed choose morning workouts. Am I right? I did. Now that I am working full time, evening workouts it is.

• says

I don’t think that’s necessarily true…for me at least.
      I used to get up for morning workouts probably 2-3 mornings a week and would often hit up a class at my gym on the other days after work. I think it just really depends on the person. I knew for me that 5 mornings a week was too much, but I really enjoyed my 2 or 3 am workouts because that meant that I had the rest of the evening to just relax :)

18. Nikki says

Used to as in when you were employed?? You said hit up a class another day after work. I am saying from what I read on the blog world, bloggers who are self-employed choose morning workouts or afternoon at the latest on average.

• Courtney says

Yes, when I was working full time, I would usually do 2-3 morning workouts a week and then do classes after work on the other days.
      I agree with you in the sense that many bloggers or those who are self-employed tend to workout in the mornings. I was just saying that I still enjoyed morning workouts even when I was working full time. :)

My workout motivation peaks in the morning and gets progressively less as the day goes on! The last time I went for an afternoon workout, I had to bribe myself with a post-workout smoothie ha- it’s the little things!
    Khushboo recently posted..Best of all worlds