Ice Cream, For The Win

by Courtney on August 25, 2011

I think somebody was trying to play a mean trick on me tonight…

I was on my own for dinner since hubby had to work late. I already knew this from this morning and had planned on just winging it whenever hunger struck. Sandwiches for dinner are definitely not out of the norm for me during the summer, especially when I only have to worry about myself.

Well, at first, that’s all I was planning to do; but then I started looking through some of my dinner recipes and immediately my taste buds were all over the place.

First, I decided that I wanted Crab Quesadillas. This is perfect because, if you remember from the last time I made them, they are not Jay’s favorite.

Wouldn’t you know, we are fresh out of crab and tortillas.

Ok, no big deal. Moving on.

Then I was suddenly in the mood for a panini…especially after seeing the photo of this sandwich while cleaning through some old folders on my hard drive. But this was seriously no good for business, considering the fact that we have no turkey, fontina, OR ciabatta rolls in the house.

Hmmph.

By this point I figured, okay, whatever; I’ll just portion out some of the leftover Minestrone Soup that I made last week and call it a night. However, that turned out to be problematic, since I totally forgot about that I just put it in the freezer yesterday to save for a different time.

Ohh goodness gracious.

So you know what I did? I made myself another fantastic PB&J, didn’t think about not grabbing my camera, and called it a night. I was dunzo.

But I DO have something else to share with you all. Because even though my dinner was not all that exciting, the dessert that followed certainly was.

IMG_7346 (640x480)

A couple of weeks ago, I received two coupons in the mail to try out Starbucks Ice Cream. Coupons + ice cream = a very happy Courtney. Ice cream, for the win! Smile

I love how the packaging totally resembles one of their regular drink cups. Hey, what can I say…I’ve always been a sucker for cute packaging.

IMG_7347 (640x480)

With my two free coupons, I opted to try a coffee and a coffee-free flavor. First up was the Vanilla Bean Frappuccino. It was probably one of the creamiest vanilla ice creams I’ve had in a long time and had an amazingly strong vanilla bean flavor. I loved it, but Jay had already gotten into it earlier in the week and demolished a good portion of it.

IMG_7352 (640x480)

No big deal though. Because next up was the Caramel Macchiato which, if you’ve been reading for a while, you probably already know is one of my favorite Starbucks drinks ever.

IMG_7351 (640x480)

Dear Starbucks,

I think it’s only fair that since you make a “Skinny Caramel Macchiato” beverage, you should also make a “Skinny Caramel Macchiato” ice cream flavor so I don’t feel so bad about stuffing my face with it.”

Thanks a bunch.

Love, Sweet Tooth Courtney

Skinny or not, I dug right in and ate probably double triple what you see missing from that picture above there. Unfortunately though, I had to grab another spoon to finish up from there…

IMG_7355 (640x480)

…because my beloved coffee spoon just couldn’t handle it anymore. Who would have thought?

IMG_7353 (640x480)

This was a serious travesty, and had the ice cream not been so flippin’ fantastic, I probably would have been a lot more upset than I was. But to be perfectly honest? At the time, I was way more concerned with just grabbing another spoon and finishing my business.

Coffee ice cream has long been a favorite of mine, going way back to when I was just a little tyke and me and my dad would sit together and eat it by the bowlful.

dad (640x480)

This always amazed me because my dad hates coffee but loves coffee ice cream. Weird? Either way, it’s definitely a “memory food” for me. Smile

I don’t know about you guys but I’m starting to get excited…

It’s Jersey Shore night! Time to go get situated in my position on the couch: feet up, pillows propped, fist pumps in the air! WOOT!

Questions for the Evening:

What “memory foods” do you have?

Are there any foods that you like the flavor of but don’t like the actual food? (i.e., coffee, grape, etc…)

Disclaimer: “I wrote this review while participating in a campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Starbucks and received coupons and a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate.”

1 Faith @ For the Health of It August 25, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Long before my mother allowed me to drink coffee, I would plow through bowls of Edy’s espresso chip ice cream at my grandparents’ house – it’s definitely one of my memory foods too! Anything Italian, peanut butter oatmeal or PB pancakes, and pasta salad with balsamic dressing are other memory foods of mine.

2 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles August 25, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Haha, I JUST posted about the Starbucks Ice Cream – and the SAME flavors! :)
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..My Favorite Treat

3 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 25, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I JUST saw the other Courtney’s post about this on The Granola Chronicles and drooled. Now I come over here to drool even MORE!? You guys are killing me here!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Things I’m Lovin’ Thursday: 4th Edition

4 Girl In The Pink August 25, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Yumm I love ice cream! Especially coffee flavored – I need to try that vanilla frap!

My memory food is swedish pancakes, my dad always made them for me on the weekends :)
Girl In The Pink recently posted..Pizza Party

5 colleen laquay urbaniuk @ thegiftofmondays August 25, 2011 at 7:33 pm

last night was a quick dinner night for me and guess what i had?? yep. a cereal combo bowl! i told you last week i was addicted. it’s officially out of control.

like your dad, i HATE coffee too, but even as much as i LOVE ice cream, i do not like the coffee flavor. at all. call me crazy (yeah, i hear you) but with coffee i only love the smell of it freshly ground. the taste…not so much. occasionally (and by occasionally i mean about every 10 years) i get the urge to dip my toast in coffee like i grew up seeing my dad do. it’s usually a quick dip…
colleen laquay urbaniuk @ thegiftofmondays recently posted..enjoy today…it’s the only one you’ve got

6 Shayla @ The Good Life August 25, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Mmmm next time I’m getting ice cream I’m definitely picking up one of those…especially since it got your seal of approval ;)

I absolutely love any and everything chocolate, but really do not like chocolate ice cream at all…weird huh?!

My memory foods is my mom’s homemade meat sauce with spaghetti…insanely delish and whenever I smell that brewing in the kitchen it brings back so many childhood memories. Also my dad’s ice cream sundaes he would make for me – vanilla ice cream, with Hershey’s chocolate syrup, and cheerios :)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Idiosyncrasies

7 Courtney August 25, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Not weird AT ALL! I love all chocolate but hate chocolate ice cream too! Haha :)

8 Lauren August 25, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Oh my goodness, if I could eat ice cream, I would be digging right into this.
Lauren recently posted..California Dream: Napa Vacation Days 3 and 4

9 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 25, 2011 at 7:47 pm

So sorry about the loss of your favorite spoon. But at least it died a happy death … digging into a pint of creamy goodness! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Our Honeymoon: From a “Foodie’s” Perspective.

10 Erica August 25, 2011 at 8:07 pm

omg. i’ve never tried the starbucks ice cream, but now i’m dying too!!!

my fiance is like your dad, not a fan of coffee but loves coffee ice cream.
i’m the opposite…with cherries. i like cherries, but i HATE cherry flavored stuff.
Erica recently posted..planner talk…

11 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 25, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Your poor spoon :( ….That is a bummer!!!
But, I’m glad the ice cream could remedy this!!! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..First day of 3rd Grade!

12 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 25, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Oh that looks delicious – I wanted to participate in that one but I couldn’t because of the dairy. Rats.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..eggplant fries

13 Charlie August 25, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I’ve seen tons of ads for the Starbuck’s ice cream in US magazines but they don’t sell it here!!!
Which makes me angry because if the caramel macchiato ice cream is as good as the drink, I need some in my life!
Charlie recently posted..Raspberry Cinnamon Rolls with Lemon Frosting

14 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 25, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I love bananas but cannot stand banana flavored things!!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..That’s a lot in 24 hours.

15 Clare @ Fitting It All In August 25, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Awww Starbucks Java Chip ice cream reminds me of my grandmother. She used to LOVE it. I should get some just to think of her:)

16 Paige August 25, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I seriously don’t know why I don’t order coffee ice cream more often! I used to work at an ice cream shop in high school ( hello 5 lb weight gain!) and made coffee ice cream shakes during every single shift. It was so good!
Paige recently posted..Flashy Ice

17 Rebecca August 25, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Mmm coffee ice cream. I adore ice cream, but coffee ice cream is easily my favorite. Memory foods-I have a lot of good memories of blueberry muffins and buttermilk biscuits at my grandmothers, jambalya and rainbow sherbert ice cream. We even have a song we sing when we make jambalya.

18 Sweet and Savvy August 25, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Why did I NOT know Starbucks ice cream existed?? Oh my gosh!
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Apples can taste like Peppers

19 Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries August 25, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I STILL haven’t tried Starbucks ice cream… I have no idea why. I am a HUGE lover of coffee AND ice cream AND Starbucks. What is my problem? :) Glad to hear they’re worth the buy though. I think that’ll be my next indulgent buy!
Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries recently posted..Cafe Rio and WinCo

20 Erin @ Naturally Addicted August 25, 2011 at 10:12 pm

OMG since when did Starbucks start making ice cream! I have got to go and try this out immediately. That Caramel Macchiato looks heavenly!
Erin @ Naturally Addicted recently posted..Keep on Keeping on

21 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 25, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I love cherries but I hate cherry-flavored things! I always think it tastes like medicine
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Nutella Banana Walnut Oatmeal Bowl

22 Alysha @ShesOnTheRun August 25, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I have a ton of these. Pot roast, homemade split pea soup and grilled cheese sandwiches with fried bologna and tomatoes remind me of my childhood (I hated the soup…loved the grilled cheeses!).
Alysha @ShesOnTheRun recently posted..The Best Running Present Ever

23 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill August 25, 2011 at 11:32 pm

YUM! I love Starbucks ice cream! I’m the opposite way with foods–I like oranges, but not many orange-flavored things (except for creamsicles…mmm! Speaking of which, those remind me of my days spent at my community pool when I was little).
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..How To Wear A Printed Trench Coat

24 Lindsey August 25, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I need to find Starbucks ice cream! Yum!
Memory foods for me – chicken noodle soup, my Mom always made it for me when I was sick.
I love grapes but hate grape flavored things, and love tomatoes but do not like ketchup!
Lindsey recently posted..It’s The Small Things

25 Jackie @ That Deep Breath August 26, 2011 at 12:06 am

I absolutely love Starbucks ice cream. I’m pretty sure I’ve had a Starbucks ice cream bar too…if I’m not crazy??
Jackie @ That Deep Breath recently posted..Textaholic

26 Khushboo August 26, 2011 at 1:35 am

After seeing Starbucks ice cream on yours AND tina’s site, i need some in my life!- looks amazing! I used to love coffee ice cream but not the beverage….thanks to iced coffee, i’m a lover of both now!

Starbucks- I second Courtney’s plea for skinny ice cream!
Khushboo recently posted..Brown paper bag: week 2

27 heather August 26, 2011 at 2:51 am

i had a boyfriend when i was younger who *loved* root beer. he was a little old-fashioned and didnt kiss me until our third or fourth date and i remember smelling root beer on him…to this day i only drink it when i’m depressed and it makes me feel young and happy. cheers to that.

28 Yolie @ Practising Wellness August 26, 2011 at 5:45 am

Oh nooo, the cute spoon! At least it died for a worthy cause, lol! :-P xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..in print

29 Kelly August 26, 2011 at 8:31 am

My best food memory was having rock n roll dinners with my Dad. Every month my mom would have girl’s night and my dad was in charge of me and my brother. So he would make a big pot of spaghetti and meatballs and crank rock n roll music. We would eat a few bites and then dance and sing and then eat a few more bites and dance and sing. It was so much fun. I am also willing to bet I was probably the only 6 year old who knew every word to Joan Jet’s “I love rock n roll”…heh!
Kelly recently posted..photo friday

30 Holly August 26, 2011 at 10:30 am

I wish they made that ice cream in ‘skinny’ too..because I’ve been wanting to try it forever, but I can’t have real ice cream (b/c of the milk) & also I was hoping that they would come out with a lower fat version. I think the strawberry one looks delicious! I also love coffee ice cream- even as a kid I would always get coffee flavored. YUM! :D Memory foods: Mac & cheese (from the blue box ONLY), hotdogs & beans, and poptarts!
Holly recently posted..Welcome to the NEW Page!

31 Laura @ Unchartered 20s August 26, 2011 at 11:00 am

These ice creams both look sooo good! I lol’d at your cute spoon breaking though b /c i have similar cute spoons and this will probably happen to me in the future haha RIP Spoon!

32 kristen August 26, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I just moved and dont have the cable set up in my house yet, youll have to let me about jersey shores! haha
kristen recently posted..See How You Can Personalize Your Blog with Custom Fonts and CSS

33 Liz @ IHeartVegetables August 26, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Awww pistachios are a memory food with me and my dad! I remember him showing me how to crack them open :) good times!

ps now I’m totally craving that ice cream
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..Gluten Free Party Time!

34 Kathryn August 27, 2011 at 1:35 pm

It’s funny…I love coffee but cannot stand coffee ice cream! Of course, that may have changed recently. For the longest time, I couldn’t drink my coffee if it wasn’t steaming hot. However, when it gets to be 120 in the summer, hot coffee just isn’t an option, so I tried an iced caramel macchiato. Ever since, I’ve loved iced coffee (but strangely, only if I make it. Something about the coffee they use in coffee shops is just too strong a taste for me), so I guess I should give some coffee ice cream a shot.

35 katie Carso August 27, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I actually have never had a coffee type ice cream! I am always getting Ben and Jerrys or Edys!

I might have to try this sometime ; )
katie Carso recently posted..{ Bloob } Smoothie and Skull Candy Success!