Music Makes The Workout

by Courtney on August 25, 2011

After spending the last three mornings lollygagging around the house, waiting to get my workout in for the day, I must say that today’s 5am wake-up call was not only welcomed, but it was enjoyed.

Go ahead, you can say it. I’m a little crazy.

I started my morning off with a quick 2 mile run on the treadmill (7.0mph pace) before heading down to BodyPump. Although my muscles were definitely enjoying the class, my ears definitely were not (no no, don’t worry, the grunter wasn’t there). Our instructor whipped out an old release (Release 56!) which goes back about 6 years ago…

Did anyone else realize that BodyPump was even around 6 years ago? Talk about a trend that really caught on!

All of the tracks on this release seemed so slow, and I had a really hard time keeping my energy up and feeling “pumped” like I usually do. The only song that in this release that I was excited to hear was the classic, “Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)” by C&C Music Factory.

source

This song totally, 100% brings me back to middle school and hanging out with my friends in the basement of my parents’ house, making up dances that were almost entirely made up of the running man.

Today’s class just further proved the fact for me that music definitely makes an impact on my workouts!

Breakfast

Monday’s breakfast was so good that I just had to bring it back again today…

And in case you’re thinking that these photos looks familiar to you, that’s because they probably do.

I’m recycling them from Monday. Smile

*****

A couple quick things before I scoot out this morning…

**I’ll be choosing the winner of the 479 Popcorn Giveaway this afternoon, so you only have a few hours left to get your entries in!

**Many of you have asked me to recap my panel discussion on Negativity that I did this past weekend at HLS. It’s coming soon, I promise. But for now, you can head on over to Healthy Living Blogs to see the slide show that we used to help us out with the “techy” side of things.

**I’ve been meaning to tell you all…last Thursday, I was featured over at Fitness Magazine as the “Featured Fit Blogger We Love!” I was so excited to share it with you all, but the craziness of HLS caused me to forget about it. Thanks, Fitness Magazine!

Questions for the Morning:

Does music make an impact on your workouts?

What kind of music do you like to listen to when working out?

1 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 25, 2011 at 8:56 am

Music totally makes my workout…actually if I forget my ipod I kind of freak out haha. Thankfully the gym I’m at this summer has a movie room. Congrats on being a featured blogger for fitness!! That is so awesome :). And you totally deserve it!

2 Hannah August 25, 2011 at 8:56 am

congrats!! i know what you mean about waking up. sometimes it happens and you wake up ready and other days you just are not (like today for me!)
your breakfast looks great!! i am still trying to figure out what i want sometimes i just d not know what i want!!
Hannah recently posted..just NOT happening.

3 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 25, 2011 at 8:56 am

I am usually all over the fast, upbeat music, and for fitness classes especiallly, I get so frustrated with slow tracks. I usually have a workout playlist I rotate in and out to keep me energized.

…and “Gonna Make You Sweat” is one of my all-time faves! ;)
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..My First Earthquake

4 Blog is the New Black August 25, 2011 at 8:58 am

The running man! This cracks me up because I’m guilty of doing the running man last weekend at a wedding. ;)
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Mexican Burgers

5 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 25, 2011 at 8:59 am

Congrats on the Fitness Magazine mention, Courtney!

Music definitely does make an impact on my workouts. If the music isn’t upbeat– my heart rate isn’t either haha
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Caboodles of Noodles

6 caitlin(questforfitness) August 25, 2011 at 9:05 am

I can’ have a good workout most of the time unless I have good music! Also, just watched an episode of The Office with Everybody Dance Now. Hilarious. And now I can’t get it out of my head!
caitlin(questforfitness) recently posted..Ew…is that…swass??

7 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries August 25, 2011 at 9:07 am

If I don’t have fast upbeat music when I’m doing cardio, all bets are off!

8 Lindsey August 25, 2011 at 9:10 am

That is so exciting that you were featured in Fitness magazine, congrats!!
I need upbeat, faster music for my cardio for sure – especially runs. It helps keep me motivated or I find myself working harder when I get into a song too. Lady Gaga has a lot of fav’s for me :)
Lindsey recently posted..It’s The Small Things

9 Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries August 25, 2011 at 9:14 am

Oh yes, music totally fuels my workouts. I need upbeat, fun music to keep me going.

I didn’t realize BodyPump has been around for that long either! That’s crazy.
Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries recently posted..Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Clusters

10 Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes August 25, 2011 at 9:15 am

I agree 100% – music totally makes the workout! I planned on going to the gym tonight as a matter of fact, straight from work, but I forgot my headphones at home! I can run outside without them, but I can’t stand being at the gym without them!

So now I’ll go home first, get my headphones, then go to the gym!
Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes recently posted..For the Love of Speedwork (Day 24)

11 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count August 25, 2011 at 9:16 am

Ugh…I couldn’t agree more! Music AND the instructor make the class. The man who teaches the cycling class in the morning doesn’t pick good music AND doesn’t really “instruct” very well. Not my favorite!
Taylor @ Crumbs Don’t Count recently posted..Back Into the Swing of Things

12 Julia August 25, 2011 at 9:16 am

OMG I LOVE BODY PUMP. I AM SRSLY OBSESSED! I was so happy to read your post, because I write about it and feel bad since it seems no one else knows what it is/has access to it.

The music in BP cracks me up a lot of the time, all the fake covers can be very silly. Also, when the instructors repeat the lyrics as motivational mantras, I can’t help but laugh. Especially when they change the words of the song to include “Body Pump.”
Julia recently posted..August 24

13 Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza August 25, 2011 at 9:17 am

Congrats on the Fitness Magazine Blogger We Love recognition! That’s awesome! I agree with them…your blog is one of my favorites! :)

I love fast and upbeat pop music for the most part when running or working out…right now I am loving Lady Gaga and Britney Spears’ newest albums..they’re full of great dance songs!

14 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy August 25, 2011 at 9:20 am

Music definitely can make a break my workout! I need something upbeat and fun…90s pop music always gets me going :).

15 Khushboo August 25, 2011 at 9:29 am

Congrats on getting featured! Music definitely impacts my workout! All it takes to get mr excited about hitting the gym is a new playlist!
Khushboo recently posted..Best of all worlds

16 Evan Thomas August 25, 2011 at 9:35 am

I could never get through a running workout without music. I listen to dance/pop stuff, which can get pretty awkward when I forget I’m in public and not in a club and start throwing my hands in the air because Taio Cruz is telling me to.
Evan Thomas recently posted..Sweet Freedom Bakery Review

17 Faith @ For the Health of It August 25, 2011 at 9:43 am

I couldn’t last through a musicless workout, but my playlists are usually a mix of rock (alternative mostly, with a touch of punk because I’m clearly 13 years old again) and some hip-hop for cardio bursts!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..I Wish it Were Me

18 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 25, 2011 at 9:57 am

That is SO exciting!!! :) Congrats! -We love you too! …When workout music is all wrong for the mood it makes it seem to last 100 times longer. uhg…..
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..New school clothes!!!

19 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 25, 2011 at 10:05 am

I had a BodyPump instructor one time that said she had been teaching since 1998! What?! I was 12! haha
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..The Honeymoon, Day 5

20 Yolie @ Practising Wellness August 25, 2011 at 10:06 am

Congratulations on being featured in Fitness magazine, that’s absolutely amazing! :-D You must be so psyched! And oh my goodness…your breakfast looks delicious. So so tasty! <3 xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..not perfect, but perfectly normal

21 Emma August 25, 2011 at 10:11 am

Congrats on Fitness magazine, how cool! I love how making up “dances” was the activity of choice when we were younger :)
Emma recently posted..Food Flashbacks

22 Alysha @ She's on the Run August 25, 2011 at 11:07 am

Hi Coutrney – I’m new to your blog so I wanted to say hi! Music totally affects my workouts (I actually stopped taking spinning at the YMCA altogether because the music was so terrible). Bodypump, on the other hand, I can’t give up!
Alysha @ She’s on the Run recently posted..The Best Running Present Ever

23 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 25, 2011 at 11:16 am

Congrats on being featured!
Music totally makes or breaks a workout for me. I have a playlist specific for running b/c without upbeat/fast music my pace suffers big time!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..10K training update: the good & the bad

24 Sweet and Savvy August 25, 2011 at 11:27 am

Music Definitely helps a work out!! And those pictures looks just As good second time around. ;)
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..WIAW

25 Maria@La_Piattini August 25, 2011 at 11:32 am

Congratulations on being featured in Fitness Magazine- that’s awesome!
Kinda weird that your BodyPump instructor went back 6 years ago- I wonder why? Music def makes an impact. The other day in spinning the instructor played a really slow Johnny Cash song. It was dreadful!
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..A Good Stress Reliever

26 Courtney August 25, 2011 at 11:46 am

It’s most likely because she’s bored with the latest release. She’s been skipping around quite a bit lately, but usually she only goes back a couple tracks. Hopefully she doesn’t go back to that one again! :)

27 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 25, 2011 at 11:35 am

Yay for the Fitness Magazine mention! What a great accomplishment.

Music is totally make it or break it for me. If I don’t update my playlist every once in a while, I get totally bored. I listen to a bunch of random artists! Pink (really gets me going!), Tegan and Sara, Adele, Lady Gaga, and Rilo Kiley are some favorites!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Lunch Date + More Shopping

28 Megan @ Life As Megan Knows it August 25, 2011 at 11:50 am

It was really nice getting to know you at lunch on Saturday at HLS!

Congrats on Fitness Magazine!

I can’t workout without music.. I have tried several times without much success!

29 Courtney August 25, 2011 at 11:55 am

Yes! It was great meeting you this past weekend! :)

30 Girl In The Pink August 25, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Music totally pumps me up! I don’t have a specific type, but I usually prefer songs I already know when I am working out for some reason. It’s not a time for me to experiment with new music.
Girl In The Pink recently posted..WIAW Debut

31 alex August 25, 2011 at 12:12 pm

agreed! when I see people running without music, I am so confused! How do they do that?!!?
alex recently posted..Cherry chip cupcakes

32 Ruthie Hart August 25, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I am weird about music while I am working out. I like listening to a morning show on Iheartradio on my phone and sometimes listen to hip hop/pop to keep me pumped but sometimes I like silence! My hubby jams to metal music SOOO loud when he works out and isnt motivated if he doesnt have it!

33 Ruthie Hart August 25, 2011 at 12:18 pm

oh and I love the article about you! you are so beautiful Courtney!

34 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl August 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Music MAKES my workout. I can’t workout without music, unless Jersey Shore is on. Then, I’m entertained by that ;-).

Currently, I’m still on the country kick with Rascal Flatts but when not on that kick I like a mix of everything from Eminem and Kanye West to Natasha Bedingfield and Pink.

Congrats on the article! That is SO exciting :-)
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Force-Feeding my Coworkers Chia Seeds (New Recipe!)

35 Lindsay August 25, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Congrats on being the featured blogger!!!

Having something to listen to totally makes my workout. I was doing country for awhile, but I just got into listening to some podcasts instead and that’s been working pretty well for me.

36 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats August 25, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I actually don’t listen to music all that much when I work out, but on the occasion that I do, I find that I really get movin’!
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Run Done!

37 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 25, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Breakfast looks amazing! Music definitely has an impact on my workouts – the faster, the better!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..ch-ch-ch-changes

38 Allison August 25, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I used to do bodypump before/while I was pregnant with my son. He is going to be 11 in October, so it has been around for a while. But the funny (annoying?) thing is that I went to a bodypump class about a year ago and they had some of the same songs. I was pretty surprised….really, update the music!

39 Erica August 25, 2011 at 3:25 pm

i love fast, upbeat, and dare i say, booty shakin’ music. i love cardio w/beyonce’s crazy in love. lol.
Erica recently posted..planner talk…

40 Lizzie August 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I totally wish they played music at soccer practice!!! It would pump everyone up!
Lizzie recently posted..IT WORKED!

41 Efka August 25, 2011 at 4:06 pm

yes, music does it. Big time.
Efka recently posted..Lihtsalt mõned

42 Shayla @ The Good Life August 25, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Music most definitely makes an impact in my workouts! I always choose my spinning instructors mainly on the music they play…I cannot stand spinning for an hour listening to horrible music, but if it’s high energy music that I love then that hour just flies by! I also love filling my ipod with great music that puts me in a good mood and gets me pumped during my workout :)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Idiosyncrasies

43 Katie @ Plates and Paste August 28, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I always thought I liked working out to top 40 type of songs or upbeat hip hop. But then one day I changed it up and put on some indie while running and I ran so much better! Go figure.
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..KitchenBar