Music Makes The Workout

After spending the last three mornings lollygagging around the house, waiting to get my workout in for the day, I must say that today’s 5am wake-up call was not only welcomed, but it was enjoyed.

Go ahead, you can say it. I’m a little crazy.

I started my morning off with a quick 2 mile run on the treadmill (7.0mph pace) before heading down to BodyPump. Although my muscles were definitely enjoying the class, my ears definitely were not (no no, don’t worry, the grunter wasn’t there). Our instructor whipped out an old release (Release 56!) which goes back about 6 years ago…

Did anyone else realize that BodyPump was even around 6 years ago? Talk about a trend that really caught on!

All of the tracks on this release seemed so slow, and I had a really hard time keeping my energy up and feeling “pumped” like I usually do. The only song that in this release that I was excited to hear was the classic, “Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)” by C&C Music Factory.

source

This song totally, 100% brings me back to middle school and hanging out with my friends in the basement of my parents’ house, making up dances that were almost entirely made up of the running man.

Today’s class just further proved the fact for me that music definitely makes an impact on my workouts!

Breakfast

Monday’s breakfast was so good that I just had to bring it back again today…

And in case you’re thinking that these photos looks familiar to you, that’s because they probably do.

I’m recycling them from Monday. Smile

*****

A couple quick things before I scoot out this morning…

**I’ll be choosing the winner of the 479 Popcorn Giveaway this afternoon, so you only have a few hours left to get your entries in!

**Many of you have asked me to recap my panel discussion on Negativity that I did this past weekend at HLS. It’s coming soon, I promise. But for now, you can head on over to Healthy Living Blogs to see the slide show that we used to help us out with the “techy” side of things.

**I’ve been meaning to tell you all…last Thursday, I was featured over at Fitness Magazine as the “Featured Fit Blogger We Love!” I was so excited to share it with you all, but the craziness of HLS caused me to forget about it. Thanks, Fitness Magazine!

Questions for the Morning:

Does music make an impact on your workouts?

What kind of music do you like to listen to when working out?

Comments

congrats!! i know what you mean about waking up. sometimes it happens and you wake up ready and other days you just are not (like today for me!)
    your breakfast looks great!! i am still trying to figure out what i want sometimes i just d not know what i want!!
    Hannah recently posted..just NOT happening.

I am usually all over the fast, upbeat music, and for fitness classes especiallly, I get so frustrated with slow tracks. I usually have a workout playlist I rotate in and out to keep me energized.

…and “Gonna Make You Sweat” is one of my all-time faves! 😉
    Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..My First Earthquake

That is so exciting that you were featured in Fitness magazine, congrats!!
    I need upbeat, faster music for my cardio for sure – especially runs. It helps keep me motivated or I find myself working harder when I get into a song too. Lady Gaga has a lot of fav’s for me :)
    Lindsey recently posted..It’s The Small Things

OMG I LOVE BODY PUMP. I AM SRSLY OBSESSED! I was so happy to read your post, because I write about it and feel bad since it seems no one else knows what it is/has access to it.

The music in BP cracks me up a lot of the time, all the fake covers can be very silly. Also, when the instructors repeat the lyrics as motivational mantras, I can’t help but laugh. Especially when they change the words of the song to include “Body Pump.”
    Julia recently posted..August 24

Congrats on the Fitness Magazine Blogger We Love recognition! That’s awesome! I agree with them…your blog is one of my favorites! :)

I love fast and upbeat pop music for the most part when running or working out…right now I am loving Lady Gaga and Britney Spears’ newest albums..they’re full of great dance songs!

I could never get through a running workout without music. I listen to dance/pop stuff, which can get pretty awkward when I forget I’m in public and not in a club and start throwing my hands in the air because Taio Cruz is telling me to.
    Evan Thomas recently posted..Sweet Freedom Bakery Review

Congratulations on being featured in Fitness Magazine- that’s awesome!
    Kinda weird that your BodyPump instructor went back 6 years ago- I wonder why? Music def makes an impact. The other day in spinning the instructor played a really slow Johnny Cash song. It was dreadful!
    Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..A Good Stress Reliever

• Courtney says

It’s most likely because she’s bored with the latest release. She’s been skipping around quite a bit lately, but usually she only goes back a couple tracks. Hopefully she doesn’t go back to that one again! :)

Yay for the Fitness Magazine mention! What a great accomplishment.

Music is totally make it or break it for me. If I don’t update my playlist every once in a while, I get totally bored. I listen to a bunch of random artists! Pink (really gets me going!), Tegan and Sara, Adele, Lady Gaga, and Rilo Kiley are some favorites!
    Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Lunch Date + More Shopping

Music totally pumps me up! I don’t have a specific type, but I usually prefer songs I already know when I am working out for some reason. It’s not a time for me to experiment with new music.
    Girl In The Pink recently posted..WIAW Debut

I am weird about music while I am working out. I like listening to a morning show on Iheartradio on my phone and sometimes listen to hip hop/pop to keep me pumped but sometimes I like silence! My hubby jams to metal music SOOO loud when he works out and isnt motivated if he doesnt have it!

Music MAKES my workout. I can’t workout without music, unless Jersey Shore is on. Then, I’m entertained by that ;-).

Currently, I’m still on the country kick with Rascal Flatts but when not on that kick I like a mix of everything from Eminem and Kanye West to Natasha Bedingfield and Pink.

Congrats on the article! That is SO exciting :-)
    Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Force-Feeding my Coworkers Chia Seeds (New Recipe!)

Congrats on being the featured blogger!!!

Having something to listen to totally makes my workout. I was doing country for awhile, but I just got into listening to some podcasts instead and that’s been working pretty well for me.

13. Allison says

I used to do bodypump before/while I was pregnant with my son. He is going to be 11 in October, so it has been around for a while. But the funny (annoying?) thing is that I went to a bodypump class about a year ago and they had some of the same songs. I was pretty surprised….really, update the music!

Music most definitely makes an impact in my workouts! I always choose my spinning instructors mainly on the music they play…I cannot stand spinning for an hour listening to horrible music, but if it’s high energy music that I love then that hour just flies by! I also love filling my ipod with great music that puts me in a good mood and gets me pumped during my workout :)
    Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Idiosyncrasies