I Have No Shame

by Courtney on August 29, 2011

Somebody out there please help me feel a little less sheepish…

IMG_7469 (640x480)

Please tell me I’m not the only one who has an extremely difficult time salting her own ear of corn. Honestly.

Sweet Tooth Courtney Fun Fact: I’m 99% positive that I continued to make my mom or dad salt my corn on the cob for me up until I moved out of their house. I moved out when I was 24.

And I have no shame. It’s just so darn tough to see the little salt granules blend in with those beautiful white and yellow kernels.

IMG_7465 (640x480)

Alright, you get the idea. But really…I’m not the only one, right? Eye rolling smile

*****

Tonight’s corn on the cob was quite possibly the stand out of dinner. I just love eating the stuff. However, the roasted potatoes I cooked up weren’t half bad either. Heck, either were the canned beets that I whipped out last minute.

IMG_7468 (640x480)

Unfortunately, the main dish only turned out to be ho-hum. I had high hopes for the Skillet Pork Chop Sauté with Peaches recipe I came across while browsing through an old Cooking Light magazine this afternoon.

IMG_7466 (640x480)

I will say that the peaches and sauce were absolutely delicious; even the seasoning for the pork chops was great so I’m not blaming its lameness on the recipe. I either…

a) Need to learn how to cook pork chops in a skillet, or,

b) Had said pork chops in my freezer for way too long (as in, over a year…yikes)

I’ll blame it on the latter, seeing as though it can’t be that hard to cook some pork chops in a skillet, right? Well, whatever the reason, they were basically like little rocks and not very appealing to the eye OR the taste buds.

IMG_7464 (640x480)

Jay and I both ate about half of the chops but devoured the peaches. Luckily, there’s still a bunch of peaches leftover (I tossed the rest of the chops) that I think will go amazingly well in a salad tomorrow. MmmmmHMM!

Question for the Evening:

What fun facts about yourself do you have no shame for? Smile

1 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] August 29, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Now I have a craving for roasted potatoes — it’s been too long!! mmm.
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..quinoa granola.

2 Jennie (jenandberrys) August 29, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Those peaches look fab! I’ve never salted a cob before but am now slightly intrigued! I alway scrape the ice cream bowl with my finger completely unshamfully – it just has to be done ;p
Jennie (jenandberrys) recently posted..Survey Excitement!!!

3 Sweet and Savvy August 29, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I have no shame for the fact that I pack snacks and food like a mom packs food for her kindergartener. :)
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Sweet Potato Fry Casserole

4 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 29, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I’m not ashamed about the insane amount of apples that I eat!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..I Have Not Forgotten You – New York State of Mind

5 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 29, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I have no shame in the amount of DESSERT I consume!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..First Day

6 Shayla @ The Good Life August 29, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Ha I have the same trouble with corn! You’re definitely not alone on that one ;)

I have no shame in admitting that my mom did my laundry up until I moved out of the house, and that was at 25 years old – yikes!! :)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..16 Weird Facts About…Me!

7 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 29, 2011 at 7:34 pm

If I lived closer to home I know my mom would help me with laundry or sweep my floors or something, that’s what moms are for! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Happy Monday! …& I need YOUR help! (please…)

8 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 29, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I have no shame that my mom packed my lunch up until the very last day of high school! I don’t know if that’s common or not, though.
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..First Day: Done

9 pat August 29, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I’ll salt your corn for you anytime sweetie!

10 Kelly @ Not So Rocky Road August 29, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Corn on the cob mmmm mmmm! We just picked up some from my husband’s Grandparent’s garden! No shame, I could eat half a container of ice cream in one sitting :)
Kelly @ Not So Rocky Road recently posted..Bright & Shiny

11 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 29, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I have to salt my corn by spraying a little butter on the cob, sprinkling salt on a plate, and then rolling it. It’s nice and even that way! :P
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Cookies cure all

12 Lauren August 29, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Haha, I don’t seem to have a problem salting the corn, it’s eating it that I make a huge mess.

Here is a tip: Lay down a piece of foil Spray the corn with EVOO spray, add salt (turn the corn as you salt on the foil), wrap it up and place it on the grill on oven. Best corn ever and doesn’t require salting on the plate. :)
Lauren recently posted..The Downside in Doing What You Love

13 nicole @ simply-nicole August 29, 2011 at 8:47 pm

my front tooth cracked when I was younger, so I have a bonding on that tooth, so I can’t bite into apples and corn. I have to shave my corn!

14 Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice August 29, 2011 at 10:25 pm

ME TOO. I just read this post, and thought…I wish I could eat my corn off the cob!
Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice recently posted..Destination race tips & Irene

15 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries August 29, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I love love love corn on the cob! My husband gets sick of me buying all the time during the summer. You should be relieved to know that I have the same issues while salting my ear of corn too! ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..How Do You Overcome Your Sweet Tooth Cravings?

16 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy August 29, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I always cut my corn off the cob, then salt it. It’s easier to see that way, and I then I don’t get kernels in my teeth! I am 23 and still live at home with my parents too…I’m glad that I’m not the only one who took the practical route post-college :).
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..A Case of the Mondays

17 Danielle Spellman @Squirrel Snackin' August 29, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I have no shame that I didn’t start doing my own laundry til the day I moved out..a month ago. It was a rude awakening..just kidding, it’s not that bad! :) And I lovee corn on the cob, but I usually cut it off and put it on my salads.
Danielle Spellman @Squirrel Snackin’ recently posted..Sweaty and Shirtless? Sunday

18 Heather August 29, 2011 at 10:48 pm

That dinner looked DELICIOUS but I feel your pain about pork chops. I can NEVER get that right.

I have no shame when it comes to my awful dance moves but I love busting them out around the house :
Heather recently posted..Lighter Lunch, Lighter Body?

19 Lindsay@bikingbeforebed August 29, 2011 at 11:51 pm

This post makes me so excited to eat the corn sitting in my fridge. There was so much corn at the beginning of the summer but then it went MIA… but it was back this week!

I am so afraid of cooking pork. Props for even attempting.
Lindsay@bikingbeforebed recently posted..And so it begins…

20 Khushboo August 30, 2011 at 12:39 am

I have no shame that I 99% lick every last bite off my breakfast bowl every morning! No food goes to waste!
Khushboo recently posted..Birthdays = another excuse to eat cake

21 Nadya August 30, 2011 at 4:06 am

Usually I put a little bit of salt in my plate and I am dipping my corn :) but you can try to sprinkle some water onto the corn, so the little salty crystals can stick to :) :P Good luck

22 Claire August 30, 2011 at 7:57 am

This little fun fact is something that causes my entire family to call me “Gerdie” for my nickname. Gerdie just sounds like an old-lady name and that is what I am when I sleep. In other words, I pile on ALL of the sweats I own in the winter time because I like to be really warm when I sleep. They always say I look like a little old lady tucked into bed. No shame here ;-)
Claire recently posted..Success & Stuckedness

23 colleen @ thegiftofmondays August 30, 2011 at 8:25 am

thanks for sharing about the not so good chops! you made me feel normal that i’m not the only one who sometimes (use the word lightly here) doesn’t have everything turn out perfect. you don’t salt your own corn? who cares! i’ve no room in my life for perfect friends…they’re just WAY too much work!!!

happy tuesday!!!
colleen @ thegiftofmondays recently posted..i miss my dad

24 Courtney August 30, 2011 at 8:49 am

LOL, thanks Colleen! I feel much better now ;)

25 Helen August 30, 2011 at 9:53 am

I’m not really sure if you have had this before, but my boyfriend soaks his pork chops in italian dressing and grill’s them! They are definitely perfection!!!!

26 Courtney August 30, 2011 at 10:03 am

Ooooo, I don’t know if I have, but that sounds delicious!!

27 Ruthie Hart August 30, 2011 at 10:32 am

corn on the cobbbbbbbbbbbb yummmm! and those potatoes look delish girl! dont worry, I am a salter too!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..The 10 Biggest Fitness Mistakes That Are Making You Fat