Rolled With The Punches

by Courtney on August 30, 2011

Well, today didn’t start off exactly as I planned.

I woke up a little later than normal (but still bright and early at 5:15am) to head to the gym. I decided last night that I was going to take a BodyPump class this morning, but since I slept a few extra minutes, I knew that I had to hightail it out there.

I rolled into my clothes, gathered my stuff, and out the door I went. I was feeling pretty confident that I’d make it in time and then BAM…

source

The usual exit that I get off of was completely closed. As it turns out, although hurricane Irene didn’t have much of an impact at my house, it certainly did a number on some of the outlying areas. There was even a pretty destructive mudslide not 10 minutes away from where we live. Crazy.

source

So anyways, I rolled with the punches, made it to the gym 10 minutes later that expected and obviously missed BodyPump. I wasn’t feeling overly motivated for anything else in particular, so I spent my time doing a little mix of cardio and abs:

Cardio

• 10 mins treadmill (@ 7.0mph)
  • 10 mins StairClimber (<—UGH, still despise this thing)
  • 10 mins elliptical intervals

Abs (3 sets of 20 reps each, unless otherwise noted)

• Crunches on stability ball
  • Bicycle crunches
  • Lower ab crunches with stability ball between feet
  • Plank (1 minute hold, repeated twice)

I was happy with my impromptu routine and headed back home, without any closed exits in my way, to get started on breakfast.

Would ya take a look at that pile of eggs? Yowsahs!

IMG_7480 (640x480)

Voluminous veggie scramble with 1/2 cup Egg Beaters, sautéed red pepper, onions, tomatoes, and broccoli.

IMG_7481 (640x480)

On the side, a Thomas’ Multi Grain English muffin with half peanut butter, half raspberry jam.

IMG_7475 (640x480)

And some very necessary coffee.

IMG_7474 (640x480)

With the size of this meal, I’m expecting to be nice and full for a while. Whew!

Questions for the Morning:

WOULD YOU RATHER…

• Only eat fish -OR- only eat meat?
  • Eat skittles -OR- M&M’s?
  • Give up your favorite food for a year -OR- your favorite drink for a year?

1 Alicia August 30, 2011 at 9:01 am

your breakfast looks soo good. Eggs & onions and peppers are the best!
Alicia recently posted..Library Loot

2 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 30, 2011 at 9:02 am

Your breakfast is making me drool! I’m so hungry right now haha.

I would rather eat only fish.
Definitely M&M’s…chocolate is the way to my heart ;).
I would give up my favorite drink for a year…I don’t think I could handle the food haha
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..A Little Bit of Bliss

3 Hannah August 30, 2011 at 9:02 am

eat only fish – meat is just not my thing.
M& M’s– chocolate!! :)
i think i would rather give up my favorite drink… not really sure about this one.

i started off the day not exactly as i wanted either with a headache and decided to put off my work out until later. not really happy about it but atleasat i have time later today to do that.!
Hannah recently posted..i created the best thing ever..

4 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries August 30, 2011 at 9:05 am

We were on different sides of the coin this morning – I didn’t have a plan for the gym, and I wasn’t pleased with my on-the-fly routine. Tomorrow will be better!

1. I bet not many people will say this, but I’d rather eat meat than fish! I like fish, but only every so often. Sorry I’m not sorry :)
2. M&Ms all the wayyy!!
3. To give up french fries or my vodka cocktail?! I can’t choose!

5 Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection August 30, 2011 at 9:11 am

I had eggs and a thomas muffin today too!
1. definitely meat–unfortunately the only kind of fish I like is crab : (
2. easily M&Ms (I’ve actually never liked skittles–chocolate is the way to go)
3. I would give up my favorite drink for a year before I would give up my food : )
Danica @ It’s Progression Not Perfection recently posted..love Him

6 Courtney August 30, 2011 at 9:17 am

Mmmmm, I love me some crab legs! :)

7 Marykate Sinnott August 30, 2011 at 9:11 am

OMG peanut M&M’s!!!!! Love them way too much!

ps: got my 1st DD’s pumpkin coffee of the season this mornin and I am a very happy lil girl!
Marykate Sinnott recently posted..I’m Still Here!

8 Courtney August 30, 2011 at 9:17 am

YAY for pumpkin coffee!!! :-D

9 Holly August 30, 2011 at 9:13 am

Nice workout, despite the unexpected changes! The stairclimber is a killer!!
1. eat fish- for sure!
2. skittles- purple ones, epecially ;)
3. favorite drink..which I’m not sure what that is..but I’d much rather have my favorite food!
Holly recently posted..Crohn’s Mini Series- Part I

10 Holly August 30, 2011 at 9:13 am

oops…spelled especially wrong- sorry!
Holly recently posted..Crohn’s Mini Series- Part I

11 Courtney August 30, 2011 at 9:18 am

OMG, Holly, I don’t think I’ve ever loved and hated a machine so much! It IS a killer!

12 allison @ thesundayflog August 30, 2011 at 9:13 am

YUM! i love breakfast scrambles. i would rather…Only eat fish, Eat skittles, and give up my favorite drink for a year!

13 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 30, 2011 at 9:16 am

Atta girl, Courtney– making the best of your situation and working out anyway. I’m not sure that I would be able to convince myself to do the same– I might’ve just taken the road block as a sign that it was time to have a day off ;)

And I’m going to go with fish, M&M’s and giving up my favorite drink (sorry, I just love food way too much :D )

..and I just realized how fat & lazy this comment is making me sound haha
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Christmas for Breakfast

14 Courtney August 30, 2011 at 9:19 am

Hahaha, if I’m already up at 5:30 in the morning, that workout is getting done one way or another! ;)

15 Kait @ One Love Run August 30, 2011 at 9:20 am

Let’s see … I would eat only fish as long as sushi counts; eat only m&m’s as long as they are peanut butter m&m’s; and I would give up my favorite drink for a year!
Kait @ One Love Run recently posted..Village Whiskey

16 Khushboo August 30, 2011 at 9:29 am

Mnms over skittles any day—> chocolate trumps sweets always! Nice going on the impromptu workout, always a surefire way to start the day!
Khushboo recently posted..Birthdays = another excuse to eat cake

17 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life August 30, 2011 at 9:33 am

I saw the Albany area on the news and there was some crazy flooding in some places. Glad your area is okay.

I would chose fish if I could still eat sushi.
M&ms all the way! I was never a big fan of skittles, except the tropical flavor.
I would give up the drink.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..The Calm After the Storm

18 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 30, 2011 at 9:48 am

Sometimes it’s the meals I expect to keep me full the longest that don’t!
I’d eat fish, M&M’s (hate skittles!) and give up my fav. drink.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Back in business

19 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 30, 2011 at 9:49 am

Those eggs are looking great! ….As for the road closed, at least you didn’t go home and crawl back into bed! :) GO YOU!
…Fish…. M&M’s….. favorite drink. That is the tough one. To give up margaritas or chocolate. I guess I like lots of other drinks too so it is easier to give up. But, there is NO replacement for chocolate!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Happy Monday! …& I need YOUR help! (please…)

20 nicole @ simply-nicole August 30, 2011 at 9:51 am

Only eat fish -OR- only eat meat?
-well i only eat fish! no meat for this lady.

Eat skittles -OR- M&M’s?
-skittles all the way. not a fan of m&ms. don’t like the chocolate.

Give up your favorite food for a year -OR- your favorite drink for a year?
-give up my favorite drink.
nicole @ simply-nicole recently posted..5 Things I’ve Learned as a New Runner

21 Heather @ Girlyeverafter August 30, 2011 at 9:54 am

I have train tracks on the way to my gym and I’ve missed BodyPump a few times because of it. It’s such a bummer when you get super excited aobut weights, then have to do your own thing, bleh.
Heather @ Girlyeverafter recently posted..Beauty Checklist

22 Sweet and Savvy August 30, 2011 at 10:00 am

That damage is crazy!! At least it didn’t impact you. Breakfast looks great!
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Sweet Potato Fry Casserole

23 Melissa August 30, 2011 at 10:03 am

Only eat meat (I don’t like enough types of fish to make it through the year)
Only eat M&Ms
Give up my favorite food (if I couldn’t drink iced tea, I would be one unhappy and uncaffeinated chick!)

24 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries August 30, 2011 at 10:11 am

That veggie scramble looks so good!

-Only eat fish.
-Definitely M&Ms…PB M&Ms and peanut M&Ms are my favorite!
-Give up my favorite drink. I love my favorite food (peanut butter!) way too much to give it up!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..7 Random Facts

25 Jill August 30, 2011 at 10:15 am

Meat! I am a carnivore.
M&Ms. Chocolate is my very favorite thing.
I would give up my favorite drink. I love food way more than liquid refreshment.
Jill recently posted..Less is More

26 Lindsay @ biking before bed August 30, 2011 at 10:15 am

I hate when little things like road blocks or traffic get in the way of your best laid plans. I’m impressed with your workout on the fly.

1. Fish… if I get to include shrimp!
2. M&ms… all varieties please. The plain ones would get boring… but with some almond and peanut butter ones… I’d be in heaven.
3. And I would definitely give up sangria over ice cream.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..And so it begins…

27 Melissa August 30, 2011 at 10:35 am

1. Fish. So many good choices!
2. Skittles, which is odd because I have to pick out the grape ones, and I am a huge chocolate lover. M&M’s just don’t do anything for me. Peanut M&M’s on the other hand . . .
3. Food. My favorite drink is water, and there’s no way I could give that up!
Melissa recently posted..{in}security

28 Courtney August 30, 2011 at 11:21 am

Or PRETZEL m&m’s! YUM! :-P

29 Emma August 30, 2011 at 10:42 am

Sometimes a giant pile o’ eggs is just what you need. Yours has me craving some right now!

Good for you that you worked out even after missing the ‘Pump. I would have said, whelp, guess i can’t work out today! :)
Emma recently posted..Blissfully Random

30 Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 30, 2011 at 10:48 am

1. That’s a tough one but I’m more confident cooking meat so meat it is!

2. M&Ms for sure – chocolate every time!

3. Favourite food – there are lots of other foods I love and wine is really the only drink I like.
Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..5-4-3-2-1

31 Erin August 30, 2011 at 10:53 am

MEAT OR FISH – fish all the way! i could happily live on salmon!
M&MS OR SKITTLES – M&MS!! preferably the pretzel kind. CHOCOLATE!
FAVORITE FOOD – probably air popped popcorn or fro yo =)

32 Courtney August 30, 2011 at 11:22 am

YES! Pretzel are my favorite! :)

33 Cait @ Cait hates Cake August 30, 2011 at 11:01 am

1. Neither? Fish I suppose
2. M&Ms (could they be peanut M&Ms? aka. chocolate covered crack)
3. Favorite drink (do I even have a fav. drink?)
Cait @ Cait hates Cake recently posted..Work. Workout. Rinse. Repeat.

34 Lyndsie @ highcottonlivin.com August 30, 2011 at 11:25 am

I would rather eat fish and skittles and I would probably give up my favorite drink. I’m glad you fared well through the storm!
Lyndsie @ highcottonlivin.com recently posted..Egg Fail

35 Laura @ Unchartered 20s August 30, 2011 at 11:31 am

Those eggs look sooooo gooood. I need to make more omlets with veggies.

I would rather only eat meat
Eat M&M’s
And give up my favorite drink for a year.
Laura @ Unchartered 20s recently posted..Hurrican’t (See what i did there?)

36 Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 30, 2011 at 11:31 am

I kinda hate egg beaters, prefer tofu for lower calorie egg alternative, but MAN O MAN do I LOVVVVE a PB&J english muffin!!! I actually like folding the pb side in half and dipping it in my coffee!
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Celebrity Smackdown

37 Girl in the pink August 30, 2011 at 11:47 am

I don’t think I could give up smoothies for a year, so I’d have to give up my favorite food!
Girl in the pink recently posted..Banana Pear Green Monster

38 Mariana August 30, 2011 at 11:49 am

1. Fish
2. M&M’s
3. My favorite drink
Mariana recently posted..Cupcakes de limón

39 Jordan August 30, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Wow!! That picture of the hurricane damage is insane! That’s so sad :(
Anyways, on a happy note your breakfast looks phenomenal haha
I like fish…but I like meat more.
M&M’s ALL THE WAY!
I don’t really have a favorite food…and I’m pretty sure I couldn’t give up coffee for a year!
Jordan recently posted..7 Jordanisms

40 colleen @ thegiftofmondays August 30, 2011 at 12:04 pm

seriously courtney?? again with the making me hungry? i think you could take a photo of fish (wish i so totally HATE) and make me want to eat it! (so obviously you know my answer to your first question!) i’m not sure why the food on stsw always looks so much better than everyone else and always makes me hungry but I.DON’T. WANT. YOU. TO. STOP!!! unless you do fish…and then, well you know…i’m not a big fan…

but i challenge you to change my mind… :) :) :)
colleen @ thegiftofmondays recently posted..i miss my dad

41 Brittany August 30, 2011 at 12:11 pm

That happened to me on my way to school. Dead stopped on the turnpike!
Great workout though.
I’d rather eat only fish, I was actually a pescatarian for 3 years!
M & M’s, i’m much more of a chocolate than candy lover.
I’d rather give up my favorite drink!

42 Kelly @ Not So Rocky Road August 30, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Definitely meat only! And M&Ms fo’sho (especially peanut). Totally would have to give up my fav drink, there is no way I could go w/o frozen deliciousness for a year!
Kelly @ Not So Rocky Road recently posted..The Number 13

43 Yolie @ Practising Wellness August 30, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Your breakfast looks absolutely delicious…love how voluminous scrambled eggs whites and veggies are, it’s one of my favourite and more filling meals in a pinch…yum! I can’t believe the hurricane caused so much damage! So glad that your house was okay though :-) And awesome workout, despite the change of plans…your certainly did roll with the punches! xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..dance in the rain

44 Yolie @ Practising Wellness August 30, 2011 at 12:16 pm

PS; I would rather eat only fish (I do this anyway so that is easy!), give up my favourite drink (i am waaaay too attached to my favourite foods, lol!), and definitely would rather eat M&Ms. As long as they were peanut or almond ones. :-) xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..dance in the rain

45 Lizzie August 30, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Give up my favorite drink for a year! I like eating so much more than drinking!!
Lizzie recently posted..MooooMilkshake

46 Jennie @ Designed to be Fit August 30, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I hate the stairclimber but I feel like I get the best workout from it!

47 Courtney August 30, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Agreed! I hate it while I’m on it but I love how I feel after it :)

48 Katie @ Plates and Paste August 30, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Only eat meat, M&Ms and give up my fav drink.

Weird how natural disasters can effect one area and not another even though they’re close by!
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..You Say It’s Your Birthday

49 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 30, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Your breakfast looks great! I need to get some english muffins! I haven’t had one forever! I would rather only eat meat, eat M&M’s, and give up my favorite drink. Gosh that last question was a toughy! lol. :)
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..A Few Favorites

50 Steph @ StephSnacks August 30, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Oh definitely M&M’s! And I would much rather give up my favorite drink than my favorite food for sure!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Simply Filling

51 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 30, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Yowzers! A mud slide? I’ve only thought of that when it comes to delicious adult beverages. So glad you guys were safe!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..stomachache of the year

52 Courtney August 30, 2011 at 1:10 pm

LOL! Those are quite tasty ;)

53 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats August 30, 2011 at 1:17 pm

The Veggie Scramble looks delicious!

I would much rather eat fish over meat, eat M&M’s, and give up my favorite drink. I don’t drink too often and the thought of giving me my favorite food(s) is terrifying!
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Late Workout and Portabella Mushroom Burgers

54 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats August 30, 2011 at 1:18 pm

whoops *giving up my favorite foods* :-)

55 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled August 30, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I love the eggy scramble!

I’m must rather eat fish than meat. It’s always easier to cook and it tastes lighter so you don’t get that gross overly full feeling.
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..Running on Empty + Luxury Game

56 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 30, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I’d have to go with fish, skittles, & favorite drink!

Crazy that that happened so close to where you live!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..First Day

57 Lindsay August 30, 2011 at 7:46 pm

That peanut butter looks so smooth and creamy. What kind is it?

58 Courtney August 30, 2011 at 8:09 pm

PB & Co. Smooth Operator :)

59 Shayla @ The Good Life August 30, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Yum that breakfast looks delish!

I’d definitely only eat meat – I’m a true meat lover at heart and I always have to be in a certain mood to eat fish.

Definitely M&M’s! Especially the almond, peanut, or pretzel kind! :)

I’d give up my favorite drink for a year – I just love fro yo way too too much to give up for a year!
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Soaking Up The End of Summer

60 Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes August 30, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Oooh tough would you rather’s today!

I’d give up the fish for a year, I can’t live without a big juicy steak!
Skittles or M&M’s? You’re joking right? Hmmm…hmmmm…well if they’re peanut M&Ms I’ll take the M&Ms…but if they’re plain, I’ll take the Skittles.
I’d have to give up my fave drink, not being able to have my fave food would just kill me.
Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes recently posted..Monday Love Part 3 (Day 19)

61 debbie (accidently delish) August 30, 2011 at 8:55 pm

i dont even really like eggs, but those looks so tasty. but as good as they look everytime i go to make them… not as good as i was hoping. boo.

my favorite drink is coffee so i dont know if i could ever give that up. however i did give up coffee for lent last year..so if i can do it for 40 days maybe i could do it for a year!
debbie (accidently delish) recently posted..By: Kaydee