I Like To Keep Things Spicy

by Courtney on August 31, 2011

Today is Wednesday (duh, Courtney). This means that today’s workout would typically look very similar to this workout, including a big ‘ol mash-up of cardio, strength, abs, and/or yoga.

As I’ve mentioned before, one of the reasons for my love/hate relationship with Wednesday workouts is because I usually have no plan. This is why I started the Wednesday Mash-Up. But another one of the reasons for my love/hate relationship is because I can do whatever happens to come to mind on that particular day.

Well, this morning I decided I was not in the mood for a mash-up. I was in the mood for a run…and run I did!

2011-08-31_11-06-53_999

I soared through a kicked-up version of the 5-4-3-2-1 Treadmill workout, which I had hoped would get me to 6 miles by the end of the 55 minutes. Unfortunately, I had only made it to 5.8 miles at that time, so I continued walking until I reached six. That was my goal, and I was stickin’ to it gosh darn it!

It was only after I took a peek at my workout log that I realized that the last time I attempted to run 6 miles was back on June 25th. Yowsahs!

I’m totally cool with that though. For a while there, I was really into the running thing, but then my interest in it started to wean. It’s safe to say that my workouts go through cycles, and I think that’s a good thing. That means that I’m continuing to keep my body “on its toes” and not allowing it to get stuck in any one particular routine. I guess you could say that I like to keep things spicy. Winking smile

I’ve always said, “If your workout isn’t fun, then quit wasting your time.”

*****

Post-workout, a glorious shower ensued, followed by another delicious, breakfast-like lunch; only this time, it was savory AND a bit sweet.

Sweet: Fresh cut watermelon and cantaloupe

Savory: Egg scramble with spinach, tomatoes, slice of deli ham, Chavrie goat cheese, salt, pepper, and salsa.

Newman’s Own Pineapple salsa, to be exact (one of the few salsas that I can handle at the dreaded ‘medium’ level). That stuff is theeeee best.

Gotta run…things to do, places to go, dessert to bake! Smile

Questions for the Afternoon:

What is your workout routine like?

Do you like sticking to the same routine, or do you like “keeping things spicy?”

1 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 31, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I like the mix things up & do a combonation of cardio & strength training, usually alternating each day. Strength training usually comes in the form of Body Pump! Cardio is either spin class, or doing the elliptical!

2 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 31, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I like to keep things spicy when it comes to most things (and most foods) in life. I tend to get bored if my routine goes on for too long…. That being said, after two weekends of traveling to Philly in a ROW I’m pretty stoked to get back to my routine. That even includes my somewhat repetitive routine of workout classes. And a routine of eating, since I’ve gone BANANAS lately with birthday meals. Om nom nom NO MORE!
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..How to Eat Free All Birthday Week Long

3 Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life August 31, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I like changing up my workout routines every few months, but I like the regularness of each routine. Right now, I’m doing a pregnancy workout routine that includes cardio, strength, cardio, strength and cardio in a 5 day rotation. I like having a game plan going into the gym, otherwise I just putz around!

4 Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries August 31, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I usually do some sort of cardio workout M/W/F (running, sprints, cardio circuits, etc.) and weights (with a shorter cardio sesh) /Th/Sat which is usually either strength circuit training or a Body Pump style workout. I like to switch all my workouts up, but that’s my general “routine”.

I go in workout phases too. I am addicted to a certain type of workout, then I get bored, so I spice it up and try something else.
Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries recently posted..Taco Tuesday

5 Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 31, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Ooohh I love the idea of adding salsa to eggs! Yum :)

I have designated days for my workouts – running Mon,Wed,Fri, strength/circuits Tue,Thur,Sat and yoga on Sunday. But the format of my workout usually varies according to what I feel like, how much time I have, my energy level…
Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #3

6 Hope August 31, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Those eggs look really good! I need to find that Pineapple Salsa! It sounds amazing! :)

I usually like to follow a routine but every once in a while I like to spice things up a bit!
Hope recently posted..A Delicious Crockpot Meal Kind of Night…

7 Faith August 31, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I have to mix things up. I get bored very easily which turns to lack of interest and/or motivation so I have to keep myself on my toes.
Faith recently posted..The Big Apple

8 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer August 31, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I used to be big on the resistance training, but now I’m really into running (I’m just starting out). I do like to do a lot of different things though.
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Close, but No Cigar

9 Khushboo August 31, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Great run! I used to be so rigid with my workout sced: e.g. run on monday, weights tuesday, etc etc…now I just go with what I’m feeling: it does still somewhat conform to a schedule but I’m way more flexible- as long as my heart rate is up, that’s enough for me!
Khushboo recently posted..Potayto/Potato, Runner/Jogger

10 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 31, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Mixing it up is key for me too. I get bored way too easily otherwise. Sometimes I love my training plan, other days I completely dismiss it and do what I want :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Loco for coco

11 Whitney August 31, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I am training for a marathon now so my workouts are run, run and run some more. Running is my favorite workout (obviously) and I find the higher mileage is what “keeps me on my toes.”. I am also incorporating weight lifting and cycling on my non-running days. I like havng a structured schedule of what I’m doing each day. It doesn’t allow me to slack :)

12 Girl In The Pink August 31, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I usually try to run three days a week (a long run, a run with sprints, and a tempo type run usually), I try to do 2-3 days of cardio/strength circuit type workouts and then incorporate as much yoga as possible!
Girl In The Pink recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

13 Emily August 31, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I have a good routine going. Monday I do my own thing. Tuesday is Body Sculpt. Wednesday is a mish-mash (like your Wednesday’s) – usually cardio. Thursday is pilates. Friday is cycle. If I’m in town, Saturday is cycle and Sunday is a rest day. Sunday is always a rest day.

When people ask me “What is the best form of exercise?” I always reply with “What you like to do.”

I don’t like to run, so I don’t. But I “love” going to the gym.
Emily recently posted..Highlights from 27.

14 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 31, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Next Wednesday mashup… Bodyrock!

…maybe? ;)
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Cilantro-Lime Avocado Chicken Pasta for One

15 Brandy @ Let's Grab a Coffee August 31, 2011 at 2:36 pm

That is my FAVE salsa!! I’m definitely going to have to try it in a dish like that.
Brandy @ Let’s Grab a Coffee recently posted..You Might Be A Walking Ice Cream Headache If….

16 Rachel August 31, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I am in training for my first half marthon so most of my cardio workouts are scheduled for me. I recently added Kettlebell training for my strength training. I like to have my workouts scheduled at the beginning of the week but every now and again I spice things up.
Rachel recently posted..The Daily Grind

17 Cait @ Cait hates Cake August 31, 2011 at 2:37 pm

My routine is pretty similar every week, but each day is different. Mondays are always running + abs, Thursdays are always Muscle Max, etc.
Cait @ Cait hates Cake recently posted..Seven Random Facts

18 Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 31, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I definitely like things spicy, lol. I think it’s important to switch things up. I usually get sick of a workout after a week, so I’m constantly changing what I do!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Bacon Wrapped Asparagus

19 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun August 31, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I have exercise ADD so I’m always switching it up with the exception of fitting in my training runds.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..I Stuff My Bra

20 Jess @ Jess Go Bananas August 31, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I like to keep things spicy of course! Now the song “Spice Up Your Life” By the Spice Girls is stuck in my head! lol =]
Jess @ Jess Go Bananas recently posted..Beet To Your Own Drum

21 Lindsay @ biking before bed August 31, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I have to keep it spicy. I have workout ADD sometimes. I have been trying to print out different ideas and bring them with me. I also try to exercise at different times of day. I like running in the mornings but weights in the evenings.

I love Newman’s products, especially the Asian ginger dressing. I will have to try the pineapple salsa
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Its a plane, its a train, its an elliptical bike?

22 sara @ the foodie diaries August 31, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I always like to change things up with my workouts, otherwise I get bored! And if I’m bored, my hearts not into the workout, and then I get lazy. I’m all about keeping things spicy ;)
sara @ the foodie diaries recently posted..Happiness is the Key

23 Ruthie Hart August 31, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I like your quote about your workout being fun!! I did cardio dance party today and I was smiling the whole time because I was having a blast. Makes my workout so much better!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Good to know

24 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 31, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I definitely like to keep things spicy :). I get way too bored if I do the same thing and I also notice that my body starts feeling less tight and toned haha. If you ever need an idea for your Wednesdays, you should try one of those ones I emailed you a while back! They’ll definitely get you to work hard!
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Not Meant for Speed and A Pasta Recipe

25 Courtney August 31, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Can you re-send them? :(
I don’t know where they went…

26 Melissa August 31, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I just run. I know, boring. But whenever I do something on the treadmill, I have to mix it up with intervals. I like training for races because I just want someone to tell me what to do. I hate having to think it up on my own! :)
Melissa recently posted..Are You LinkedIn?

27 Amy August 31, 2011 at 3:53 pm

My workout routine changes weekly but i stick to 2 days of upper body training and 1 day a leg focus. I only do weights no cardio for this girl. i find the cardio tends to burn off any muscle I put on(thanks dad for the fast metabolism).
Some weeks its machines and sometimes all free weight stuff.

28 Courtney August 31, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Hey girl! Hope all is well! :)

29 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 31, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I like your thoughts, if you workout isn’t fun, stop wasting your time. AGREE!! … I need to switch it up to make some exercise fun! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Listening ears are wonderful!

30 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill August 31, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Lately, my workouts have been all over the place. I have a crazy schedule, so I just try to fit in whatever I can. I often have to break it up into pieces, but it’s still a workout!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Shamu at H&M

31 RunEatRepeat August 31, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I’ve never tried pineapple salsa! Sounds good :)

32 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 31, 2011 at 5:33 pm

This week my workout routine has been nonexistent. I hurt my knee running on Saturday, so I’ve been resting it this week. But I’m hoping to try running again tomorrow morning! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A shift in the Big Brother house.

33 Courtney August 31, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Oh no! :( I hope it’s better by tomorrow for you!

34 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 31, 2011 at 5:35 pm

awesome workout courtney! i am a treadmill whore. 90% of the time my workout is on a treadmill (or running outside). But i do switch it up– interval training, longer runs, etc. I just joined a gym because I just moved for my first job so i am looking forward to taking some weight training/body pump classes! yay!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Happy Hump Day

35 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 31, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I definitely keep things spicy…but in a routine-like way. I never do the same thing two days in row, but I do tend to stick to the same types of exercise. Like running every other day with Body Pump, RPM, yoga, and other stuff like that thrown in.
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Reese’s Cup Cookies

36 Courtney August 31, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I totally agree with that! I like somewhat of a routine in terms of the type of exercise, but I like switching up the exercises. :)

37 Alexa @ Simple Eats August 31, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Gotta keep things spicy! I like having in mind when I’m going to do cardio and weight lifting, but I like being open-minded, too!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Top Ten Travel List

38 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled August 31, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Right now I’m training for a marathon so my workouts totally revolve around my training schedule. But on my cross training days, I do like to do something completely different like Tae Bo or a kick butt Jillian Michaels workout (Ripped in 30 is awesome!).
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..100th Post: 10 Personal Questions

39 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 31, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I think you’ve inspired me to do that workout tomorrow!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the art of mexican food

40 Katie @ Plates and Paste August 31, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I like to do 2 days of cardio, 2 days of strength training and a day of yoga. That’s usually my goal at least :) I like mixing it up though…that’s why I prefer boot camps bc the ones I go to our always different.
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Down to the Kor

41 Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes August 31, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Wow all that fruit on your plate looks good, I have a couple cantaloupes to dig into, I can’t wait!

My workout routine goes through phases, but my runs are a constant. I run 5 days a week (easy/hard/medium/easy/long). The other two days I workout depending on how my body feels – sometimes yoga, sometimes just lots of stretching, sometimes upper body to give my legs some rest. It all depends on how the legs feel since running is my #1 workout. I always mix up the hard runs too though – speed intervals, tempo, hills, etc…
Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes recently posted..A HUGE Month (Day 17)