I Like To Keep Things Spicy

Today is Wednesday (duh, Courtney). This means that today’s workout would typically look very similar to this workout, including a big ‘ol mash-up of cardio, strength, abs, and/or yoga.

As I’ve mentioned before, one of the reasons for my love/hate relationship with Wednesday workouts is because I usually have no plan. This is why I started the Wednesday Mash-Up. But another one of the reasons for my love/hate relationship is because I can do whatever happens to come to mind on that particular day.

Well, this morning I decided I was not in the mood for a mash-up. I was in the mood for a run…and run I did!

2011-08-31_11-06-53_999

I soared through a kicked-up version of the 5-4-3-2-1 Treadmill workout, which I had hoped would get me to 6 miles by the end of the 55 minutes. Unfortunately, I had only made it to 5.8 miles at that time, so I continued walking until I reached six. That was my goal, and I was stickin’ to it gosh darn it!

It was only after I took a peek at my workout log that I realized that the last time I attempted to run 6 miles was back on June 25th. Yowsahs!

I’m totally cool with that though. For a while there, I was really into the running thing, but then my interest in it started to wean. It’s safe to say that my workouts go through cycles, and I think that’s a good thing. That means that I’m continuing to keep my body “on its toes” and not allowing it to get stuck in any one particular routine. I guess you could say that I like to keep things spicy. Winking smile

I’ve always said, “If your workout isn’t fun, then quit wasting your time.”

*****

Post-workout, a glorious shower ensued, followed by another delicious, breakfast-like lunch; only this time, it was savory AND a bit sweet.

Sweet: Fresh cut watermelon and cantaloupe

Savory: Egg scramble with spinach, tomatoes, slice of deli ham, Chavrie goat cheese, salt, pepper, and salsa.

Newman’s Own Pineapple salsa, to be exact (one of the few salsas that I can handle at the dreaded ‘medium’ level). That stuff is theeeee best.

Gotta run…things to do, places to go, dessert to bake! Smile

Questions for the Afternoon:

What is your workout routine like?

Do you like sticking to the same routine, or do you like “keeping things spicy?”

Comments

I like to keep things spicy when it comes to most things (and most foods) in life. I tend to get bored if my routine goes on for too long…. That being said, after two weekends of traveling to Philly in a ROW I’m pretty stoked to get back to my routine. That even includes my somewhat repetitive routine of workout classes. And a routine of eating, since I’ve gone BANANAS lately with birthday meals. Om nom nom NO MORE!
    Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..How to Eat Free All Birthday Week Long

I like changing up my workout routines every few months, but I like the regularness of each routine. Right now, I’m doing a pregnancy workout routine that includes cardio, strength, cardio, strength and cardio in a 5 day rotation. I like having a game plan going into the gym, otherwise I just putz around!

I usually do some sort of cardio workout M/W/F (running, sprints, cardio circuits, etc.) and weights (with a shorter cardio sesh) /Th/Sat which is usually either strength circuit training or a Body Pump style workout. I like to switch all my workouts up, but that’s my general “routine”.

I go in workout phases too. I am addicted to a certain type of workout, then I get bored, so I spice it up and try something else.
    Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries recently posted..Taco Tuesday

Ooohh I love the idea of adding salsa to eggs! Yum :)

I have designated days for my workouts – running Mon,Wed,Fri, strength/circuits Tue,Thur,Sat and yoga on Sunday. But the format of my workout usually varies according to what I feel like, how much time I have, my energy level…
    Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #3

Great run! I used to be so rigid with my workout sced: e.g. run on monday, weights tuesday, etc etc…now I just go with what I’m feeling: it does still somewhat conform to a schedule but I’m way more flexible- as long as my heart rate is up, that’s enough for me!
    Khushboo recently posted..Potayto/Potato, Runner/Jogger

6. Whitney says

I am training for a marathon now so my workouts are run, run and run some more. Running is my favorite workout (obviously) and I find the higher mileage is what “keeps me on my toes.”. I am also incorporating weight lifting and cycling on my non-running days. I like havng a structured schedule of what I’m doing each day. It doesn’t allow me to slack :)

I have a good routine going. Monday I do my own thing. Tuesday is Body Sculpt. Wednesday is a mish-mash (like your Wednesday’s) – usually cardio. Thursday is pilates. Friday is cycle. If I’m in town, Saturday is cycle and Sunday is a rest day. Sunday is always a rest day.

When people ask me “What is the best form of exercise?” I always reply with “What you like to do.”

I don’t like to run, so I don’t. But I “love” going to the gym.
    Emily recently posted..Highlights from 27.

I am in training for my first half marthon so most of my cardio workouts are scheduled for me. I recently added Kettlebell training for my strength training. I like to have my workouts scheduled at the beginning of the week but every now and again I spice things up.
    Rachel recently posted..The Daily Grind

I have to keep it spicy. I have workout ADD sometimes. I have been trying to print out different ideas and bring them with me. I also try to exercise at different times of day. I like running in the mornings but weights in the evenings.

I love Newman’s products, especially the Asian ginger dressing. I will have to try the pineapple salsa
    Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Its a plane, its a train, its an elliptical bike?

I just run. I know, boring. But whenever I do something on the treadmill, I have to mix it up with intervals. I like training for races because I just want someone to tell me what to do. I hate having to think it up on my own! :)
    Melissa recently posted..Are You LinkedIn?

11. Amy says

My workout routine changes weekly but i stick to 2 days of upper body training and 1 day a leg focus. I only do weights no cardio for this girl. i find the cardio tends to burn off any muscle I put on(thanks dad for the fast metabolism).
    Some weeks its machines and sometimes all free weight stuff.

awesome workout courtney! i am a treadmill whore. 90% of the time my workout is on a treadmill (or running outside). But i do switch it up– interval training, longer runs, etc. I just joined a gym because I just moved for my first job so i am looking forward to taking some weight training/body pump classes! yay!
    Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Happy Hump Day

I definitely keep things spicy…but in a routine-like way. I never do the same thing two days in row, but I do tend to stick to the same types of exercise. Like running every other day with Body Pump, RPM, yoga, and other stuff like that thrown in.
    Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Reese’s Cup Cookies

• Courtney says

I totally agree with that! I like somewhat of a routine in terms of the type of exercise, but I like switching up the exercises. :)

Wow all that fruit on your plate looks good, I have a couple cantaloupes to dig into, I can’t wait!

My workout routine goes through phases, but my runs are a constant. I run 5 days a week (easy/hard/medium/easy/long). The other two days I workout depending on how my body feels – sometimes yoga, sometimes just lots of stretching, sometimes upper body to give my legs some rest. It all depends on how the legs feel since running is my #1 workout. I always mix up the hard runs too though – speed intervals, tempo, hills, etc…
    Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes recently posted..A HUGE Month (Day 17)