Making a Career Change

Nine years ago, I graduated from high school.

Yikes. Hello, blond Courtney.

I still can’t believe it’s been nine years. Where does the time go? I left high school knowing full well that college was right around the corner, and I was ready.

Wouldn’t you know, it was nine years ago this very week that I began my first year of college, working towards my dream of one day becoming an elementary school teacher.

I worked my butt off during my time in college, loving almost every minute of it (you know, beside the horrible finals and all that jazz). I created lesson plan after lesson plan, unit plan after unit plan; loving every bit of pride that I gained in knowing that I was capable of creating really great work. Before I knew it, I was student teaching, and within 3-1/2 years, I graduated, with honors, and became the proud recipient of a Bachelor’s degree in Childhood Education.

IMG_0467 (640x480)

Despite having a potential teaching opportunity right at my fingertips upon graduating, I decided to pass it up in favor of sticking with school full-time. I went on to continue my education, working towards a Masters degree in Literacy, knowing full well that if I took any amount of time off, it would be that much more difficult to get back into the groove.

I continued to work hard – probably harder than I had ever had to work at something in my semi-adult life. More lesson plans were developed, more students were tutored; and within 1-1/2 years, I became the proud recipient of a Master’s degree in Literacy.

DSC01783 (640x480)

Now fully educated, I immediately immersed myself into the field of education, searching for jobs left and right. For two years, I had a difficult time finding a permanent position and ended up doing a lot of substitute teaching and filling in for leaves of absence. Despite the fact that I did not have a classroom of my own yet, I soon became aware of the fact that my former teachers had certainly told the truth:

“You’ll never fully understand the life of a teacher until you experience it for yourself.”

It wasn’t that I doubted what they had said; surely this would be the case with any profession? But I had so strongly loved all of the intricate details of my schoolwork and planning of lessons up to this point that I never imagined it would make much of a difference for me…

IMG_6099 (640x480)

Well I eventually landed myself a probationary teaching position. I was happy, but I nervously found that the passion that was once there for the profession had become slightly dim. I brushed off these feelings, attributing them to the nerves of being fully immersed in the adult job world. I mean, this was a big change…and I had never been great with change. But they still never went away.

There were numerous times that I tried talking to my family about these feelings. At first, they said I was just being silly; that I was afraid of growing up and that I’d be fine. This was, in fact, what I went to school for, so of course this is what I wanted…right?

Well if that was the case, then why were my “Sunday blues” getting so bad?

Why was I dreading going to work the next day?

Fast-forward to this past school year. I changed grade levels, had some great teachers on my team, and went in with a brand new perspective on things. I was determined that this was going to be the best school year yet, so I put all of my energy into it and dove in head first. To be honest, it probably was the best school year I’d ever had. I had an amazing class of 19 fifth graders who I was bananas for. I enjoyed seeing them each and every day.

IMG_6685 (480x640)

But despite my awesome class, there was still something missing. The passion just wasn’t there.

Fast-forward a bit more to this past April, and I suddenly found myself not teaching. I’m not going to get into the details about it because honestly, it’s done and over with and it’s in my past. What I do know is that I’ve always been a firm believer in “everything happens for a reason” and I suddenly found myself trying to figure out what those reasons were.

I spent months dwelling on it, but all along, I couldn’t help but feeling somewhat of a sense of relief. Perhaps this situation was a way of telling me that I needed to move forward…I needed to stop spending my days doing something that I wasn’t truly passionate about. It was time to look ahead.

So for these past five months, I’ve been doing a whole lot of soul searching. There has been many, many days with frustration, anger, and tears. There has also been days filled with overwhelming joy and excitement about all of the potential that is right at my fingertips.

Then, right before I left for HLS, it hit me: I knew what I wanted to do. It had been something in the back of my mind for probably about a year now. Actually, it started shortly after I began immersing myself more and more into the world of healthy living blogs. But it was almost as if a switch had flipped overnight and suddenly I was sure.

A good handful of you reading this right now probably already know what I’m talking about. That’s because, as soon as that feeling hit, I had to get it out. I talked to family and many, many friends about it. (Thank you to my dear blog friends, Julie, Paige, Tina, Gina, Heather, Jen, and Alicia –to name a few- for listening!)

Many of them weren’t the slightest bit surprised by my revelation, which I found somewhat surprising and comforting. I’ve always enjoyed helping people. I’ve always loved interacting with people. I’ve always enjoyed teaching. My love for fitness has grown tremendously over this past year, and now I am ready and eager to share this passion with others. SO…

I’ve begun studying to become certified as a personal trainer!

I never thought I’d be so excited about “studying” for something else again in my life, but I really am. Whereas “studying” used to be just getting through the chapter before, now I’m attempting to soak up every last bit of it. I’m like a darn sponge, I’ll tell ya!

As for the blog, you probably won’t see too much different, except for some extra comments about studying, I’m sure. But I am so darn excited to get this ball rolling and start putting together some of the ideas that are swirling around in my brain.

*****

If you’re still reading at this point, you rock. Really. I had no intention of this post being so darn wordy, but I had a lot to say and it just kept spilling out. Actually, I could probably go on and on even more, but I think it’s good to keep it at this.

So for now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go do a little more studying for my future. Winking smile

Comments

This is so exciting for you! I can completely relate to your Sunday blues. I graduated with an elementary education degree and by the time student teaching was behind me I was really lacking in motivation and came to the conclusion that I really didn’t want to teach. I am still trying to find out what exactly I’m supposed to be doing – which can be an emotional challenge. You’re post today was such an inspiration! Thanks for sharing :)
    Lyndsie @ highcottonlivin.com recently posted..Purple Magic Aqua Mist

That’s so awesome!! Congratulations! What a great step and way to go in following your heart.

I’m struggling now with what I want to do with the rest of my life because I’ve not been totally happy with my job, so I truly admire your fortitude. You’re going to be great!

Congrats! I had a feeling it the “change” was going to be some sort of career path change… :) I got my NASM PT certification last summer too. I loved NASM style of teaching. It was thorough, explained things well, and wasn’t TOO scientific for my non-scientific brain. Ha. Are you wanting to train at a specific gym? Or what is your plan? If you ever have any questions about NASM, the test, or personal training, please don’t hesitate to ask me!
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Summer Favorites

• Courtney says

I have a couple ideas, but no particular plan. I figured I should take care of the studying part first. ;)

Any particular chapters I should focus on more than others??

Congratulations Courtney!! I’m so happy for you and I know you’ll kick butt with this new venture! I know firsthand you’re great at helping people, you’re my go to person for blog related things and have helped me tremendously :)

I too have had a similar experience with my passions not transitioning well into the workforce. Mine was with fashion and though it didn’t bode well as a career for me and my parents paid thousands of dollars in schooling for it…in the end it just didn’t work out and I had to follow my heart and now I’m in an entirely different career!

Over the years we grow and learn so much about ourselves – to this day I think 18 is too young to even know what we’re meant to do in life! In the end it matters that you follow your heart and gut and do what makes you happy. After all, we only have one life to live! :)

P.S. It was a perfect amount of wordiness ;)
    Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Happy September!…And New Goals

5. Brenda says

Good for you! I thought you were going to say that you decided to open a bakery since baking is one of your talents.
    I’m a teacher and I totally understand the feelings you went through. Unfortunately, teaching is much more than creating lesson plans and teaching. People outside of the profession will never know what it is like. It takes a toll on your body and mind.
    Enjoy studying!

Congratulations on your decision and good luck!! I work in insurance now because it is was my first full-time offer after college that I couldn’t pass up.

However – I know this is not where my passion is – fitness and healthy living is! I studied to get my Group Exercise Instruction Cert and passed the exam in February. I now teach classes after my 8-5 job :) It really makes such a difference to do something you love!

I look forward to hearing about all that is to follow!!

This is great, Courtney! I’m so happy for you. Though, I’m sure the field of education will miss you as a teacher. Congrats on taking the plunge and committing to something you truly love. I wish you could come down here and train me back to my pre-baby body! :)
    Molly Carter recently posted..Tailgate Thursday

8. Karen says

Congrats Courtney! You will be a wonderful trainer!! I have always considered a career in fitness as I use to take & teach dance and my husband is a personal trainer now. I tell him all the time that if I was to ever quite my job that I would want to do training or teach fitness classes. Good luck with everything!!

I’m so glad you are following your heart! Go get ‘em girl!

My boyfriend always tells me that the most important decisions in life are 1) how your going to make a living and 2) who you’re going to spend the rest of your life with. If number one ain’t right, then it will be a stress on #2 for sure!

Good luck!! You’re going to be great!
    Steph @321delish recently posted..What Did the Police Say to the Yogi?

I have a BA in History and an MS in Elementary Education. I tried for 7 years to find a teaching position in Central NY. I eventually moved to Virginia.

I taught in 3 different districts over a 4 year span. My contract wasn’t renewed in any of them.

And I’m glad.

Toward then end I was having daily panic attacks during lunch… about teaching. NCLB is stressful!

I’m not a secretary. It was the best career move ever.
    Meari recently posted..Easy come, Easy go…

congrats! How exciting! I’m glad you worked it out and found your new dream. Cant wait to hear all about it as we follow you on this journey! Best of luck!

12. Mary Beth says

Congratulations! I also left teaching three years ago after realizing I didn’t love it anymore. I felt so much better knowing that I was following my heart and giving someone who would love to teach the opportunity to join our school district. As much as I miss the kiddos sometimes I love my new career path and the passion it gives me!

Yay! Congrats! My boyfriend “bought” me the training materials for my birthday (in June), but I never actually got around to ordering them because of the time restraint you have from the day you order. I figured waiting would be best since my summer has been crazy busy! I look forward to hearing how studying is coming along and what to look forward to. That is so exciting!!

Awesome! I’ve considered trying that career path as well – but have decided to put it on the back burner for now. I’m excited to see your journey – you will be fantastic! (And funny how us educators just can’t seem to get away from learning!)
    Megan recently posted..Pain in the…Shin

You’ll love working as a personal traininer. I got certified and started training about 6 years ago! Its such a fun career and has so many oppoturnities! Currently I just train a few clients a week and my husband and I are busy running and owning our three gyms we have! Everything does happen for a reason and you just need to keep moving on forward!!! : )
    Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life recently posted..Workout of the Week and Thursday Agenda!

You’ll love working as a personal traininer. I got certified and started training about 6 years ago! Its such a fun career and has so many oppoturnities! Currently I just train a few clients a week as my husband and I are busy running and owning our three gyms we have! Everything does happen for a reason and you just need to keep moving on forward!!! : )

17. Jen says

Congratulations!!! I really loved reading this post – it was real and honest and you can feel the excitement you have for your new venture!

18. Drew says

Hi Courtney! I have never commented on your blog before but I just had to reach out as I am going through the EXACT same thing right now myself!
    I have been in a finance position for the past three years and have felt for too long that my love for life just isn’t there anymore! I couldn’t sit around and wait for a change, so I decided to take the same plunge and just got my Personal Trainer books in the mail on Wednesday!! I will be giving my notice on Tuesday and cannot wait to begin to do what I am passionate about. I wish you the best of luck in this and can’t wait to see your progress as well!!

19. ellalinea says

Congrats Courtney!! So happy that you follow your heart and live your life with passion.. !! Also, I’m very excited to see some of those posts regarding personal training and exercise methods.. BRING IT ON!! :DD

20. Marie says

Wow! That’s so awesome to hear! It seems like it is combining a few of your passions and expertise as well! ;) I’m excited to hear about your journey! ;)

Congrats Courtney! What an exciting decision!

I’d love to hear about the whole process from studying to taking the test to your first clients since I think it’s something that so many of us bloggers think about doing (but don’t necessarily have the guys to do it!) :)
    KitKat @ Pursuit of Happiness recently posted..September Goals

22. Lauren says

Hi Courtney. I don’t think I’ve ever commented here before, but I just had to today. I’m currently a part-time PE/Health teacher. I got cut to part time 2 years ago and spent a few weeks crying, feeling sorry for myself until I finally pulled it all together and ordered my study materials from NASM to become a trainer. I devoted my time that I wasn’t working to studying and passed the exam a year ago. So happy for you and glad you’ve found something you’ll love doing!

Wow, Courtney. I’m SO glad that you wrote this post because I can relate on so many levels.

Although I’m a year away from attaining my Bachelors degree in Legal Studies (I’m a few years behind so bear with me ;) ) I recently came to realize that law is something I did NOT want to do. Since birth, my mother practically branded me with a “lawyer” nameplate telling me each and every day that I have “the mind of a lawyer” and “the speaking skills of a lawyer.” I went ahead to college and followed through with my law major because I thought that’s what I was supposed to do. “Right? Right.”

I started taking law classes and really wasn’t feeling it, but I kept telling myself that it was what I was meant to do. Last year, I got my first internship at a law firm and realized with certainty that I hated the field. I had no passion for it, and it did not make me happy, REGARDLESS of how much money you stuffed in my pocket. When I told my mom about this feeling, she told me I was crazy and reminded me that I was “born to be a lawyer.”

Finally, after a year of working in the firm, I quit. Simple as that. I decided that I didn’t know what I wanted to do, and I was fine with that.
    For a few months now, Will & I have been bouncing around the idea of me getting my PT certification too because it is honestly something that I feel I would LOVE and could see myself being happy with in the long run. Money is always just money– I should’ve listened to my heart all along.

ANYWAY, now that I’ve written my own freaking blog post in your comment section– I want to say that I am SO happy for you and your decision. I know 100% how dissatisfying it can feel to be in a field that you know deep down isn’t for you. I couldn’t be prouder of you for reaching after your goals & I know that you will absolutely DOMINATE that test and anything else in your way. So what if you didn’t know what you wanted to do right away? Who does, really? :)
    Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Things I’m Lovin’ Thursday: 5th Edition

• Courtney says

Thank you, Brittany!
      It sounds like you’re starting to get yourself headed in the right direction…good luck, girl!

Congratulations Courtney! I just made the change from teaching to Personal Training and Registered Dietitian. I’m here if you ever need to talk to someone who is the same part of the process! Doesn’t it feel so amazing to be doing something you are so passionate about?!
    Morgan @ Endorphaholic recently posted..First National Park Trip

25. Marie says

Wow! Congratulations! This is such great news; I can’t wait to hear more! It seems to combine your passion and expertise as well!

I’m so happy for you. I’m in school part time to be an Esthetician after working in the media world for 4 yrs. It’s amazing how studying about something you’re interested in will change how you use to view homework. It’s all about doing what you love and you’ll never “work” again;)
    Heather @ Girlyeverafter recently posted..September Already?

Congrats to you!!! I think that is very exciting that these healthy living blogs have inspired you so much. I just recently got interested in blogging and healthy living and I have to agree…this is a very inspiring and supportive community.

Not to be all in your business…just curious…but if your not teaching and you haven’t yet became certified to be a personal trainer, do you have a job or any kind of work?
    Lindsay @ cupcakes to carrots recently posted..Why me Lord? WHY ME!!!!!!!!

• Courtney says

I’ve still been looking for something part time for some extra money during this transition period. I may end up substitute teaching!

Congrats! It’s so much more fun to study when you’re really excited and passionate about something. I agree with the other poster that said it’s really hard to know what you want to do when you’re only 18 years old! I work in higher education with a lot of non-traditional students and I’m quickly finding out that it’s NEVER too late to follow your passions. We recently had a 60 year old graduate from one of our Medical programs :)
    Jessica recently posted..Farmers Market Finds

29. Ashley says

Congratulations Courtney!!!! This will be a great and rewarding change! I live in Colonie so when you pass and start training i’ll train with you!!

30. FoodCents says

This is my first time reading your blog, but I am glad I came upon such an exciting post. Life is too shorts & precious to spent out time doing things that don’t feed the soul. Cheers to you for finding something that ignited a spark within you!!!

Congrats Courtney for taking such a huge leap. Often times we are not encouraged to truely… follow our hearts. When you tell people that you went to school for “X” they assume you will go into that profession until you retire. I have learned that education is not as cut and dry as I once thought. All of your teaching classes will only make you that much of a better personal trainer. I went to school for engineering and am having similar thoughts about my career right now. Sometimes its hard to “know what you want to be when you grow up” at 18.
    Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Sweeeeet shrimp

This is so weird but I JUST GOT MY PERSONAL TRAINING STUDY SET IN THE MAIL. Wanting to take a little study break I moseyed on over to read your blog. And hurrah! You are studying to get your certification too! Congrats on making a decision. I cannot WAIT to read about your path towards becoming a personal trainer. I’m right there with ya!!

-Kirsten
    Kirsten recently posted..China: Stewing and Shopping in Shanghai

Congrats girl! Way to go! It’s so hard to feel like you failed when you went for school for something and it’s just not what you love doing.

I went through the same rollercoaster. I went to school for TV broadcasting and worked for 6 years…but sleeping in hotel rooms away from my hubby to cover a football game wasn’t what I dreamed it would be. Family was more important and my passion, as is yours, became fitness and healthy food.

I became a certified personal trainer and am now in school AGAIN to be an RD. Gosh – I hope I get it right this time!

My point is 1 – if you ever have any PT exam questions let me know. 2- it feels liberating to trust your gut and do what you believe is right for you!

• says

First of all, I’m amazed at all the fantastic comments on here. What an inspiration you are!

Anyway – I haven’t taken the test or looked at the book in years…but..there was a lot of the sagittal, frontal, transvere plane. Like “shoulder abduction takes place in “x” plane.”

Also the names of what muscles are used in what moves. Leg extension uses what muscle?

The worst part were the questions about the practical/client stuff. Because it was easy to overthink these. One was, “You have a client in an initial meeting who is not making eye contact. What do you do?” I remember dwelling on this on a while.

Good luck!!!!
        Carissa recently posted..Football time! 5 rules for football party success

34. Lindsay says

Congrats on ur decision Courtney. I’ve been reading ur blog for a few months now. But I HAD to comment on this post. I was an elementary school teacher (with a Master’s in Education) for 6 years. I had those feelings on Sundays and fell out of love with teaching. I got my NASM CPT and have now been training for two months! It’s the first Fall that I haven’t gone back to school, but I really love my new career. And I still get to teach! You’ll love it! Good luck with the studying :)

With ya for every word! Kudos to you for realizing that teaching wasn’t right for you and pushing ahead to find your real passion. I think a lot of people would be too scared to leave what they pursued in college. Congrats on the new career path and I hope it’s what you’re looking for!
    Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Blueberry Bottom

36. Sara says

I’m so excited for you!! And I can totally relate. I’m a graduate student studying accounting, and while I enjoy that, fitness is another of my passions. So this summer I got certified as a group fitness instructor, and I’m teaching my first class next week actually!! I’m still planning on doing accounting as a career, but step aerobics has really been a creative outlet for me, and I think it will help keep me sane! Haha. Enjoy studying!! You’ll do great!

This is GREAT!! I am sure you will be an awesome personal trainer!
    It is kind of funny because I have been searching for long what I will do if I am not accepted in the graduate program I want to do (psychology) and I realized last week I would love to be a personal trainer. It is my second choice since I LOVE psychology but still, it made me feel better; It was more stressful when I didn’t have a second choice I’d be passionate about too.
    Charlie recently posted..Main Dish Minestrone

I got NASM certified in January! My fiance is a personal trainer, and he inspired me to get certified. FYI, the test was super easy. Let me know if you want to talk about anything! Have fun studying…some parts are more interesting than others! :)

39. Julie says

Good for you! I’m a senior in college about to graduate this May. While I am passionate about what I am studying now (PR and marketing) there are always lingering doubts like will I get a job, or once I do will I still like PR as much as I do now? It’s so refreshing to hear about someone switching career paths and and staying positive about the future even when it is uncertain. I love reading your blog and know you’ll make an awesome trainer!

40. Kelly says

This is just what I needed to read about. I’m just about to start applications for education programs and started to completely freak out about whether that is what I want to do forever.
    After calming down and eating more than my fair share of cookies I realized it is what I want to do *right now*.. and it is also very comforting to see people who shift their direction rather than doing a job that isn’t right just because it matches their educational background.
    Does that make sense? Um, pretty much this post makes making a decision feel less final. Which is good. :) And this ended up really long. Oops!

41. EGrizz says

I am new to your blog, but I absolutely loved your post! I graduated from High School 10 years ago and I have done everything from wanting to be a fashion merchandiser and working with Macy’s to wanting to work in the school system and working 3 years at an elementary school. Every time I thought I found my passion I realized that it was not it. That was until last year when I realized what I really wanted to do was be a holistic nutritionist. Of course my mind said I was getting too old, I couldn’t go back to school, and a million other excused, but you can’t let your thoughts hold you back when God has you destined to do something! I am so glad you spoke out about this and have the courage to take the leap of faith!

42. Abby says

Whoo hoo!! So glad you’ve found a new passion. This seems to be a trend with a lot of people lately! Just remember- life is a moving target. They may still more changes in the future- just stay open to them :-)

43. Kate says

Congratulations! What exciting news!
    I would love to hire you as my personal trainer! I look forward to reading & learning more about it!

That is so exciting! Everyone should be able to do what they are passionate about! I appreciate your honesty and ability to recognize when your dreams change and to go after what you really want. It’s incredibly inspiring!
    Shana recently posted..SWAP!

Courtney this is amazing! I really admire your courage and how you listened to yourself and your inner feelings, that’s really amazing. This is such an exciting time for you and I can’t wait to hear all about your training!
    Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..7 Random Facts

Awesome news and congrats on doing what’s right for you!!! I honestly think that sometimes others don’t understand what is right in your heart (I’ve felt that way), but as long as you know, they will come around. I know this is not what you meant in your post, but I’m glad you were true to yourself. I still feel like I have a lot of ‘soul searching’ to do – and I’m so glad many other bloggers go through this. It makes everything easier to know others go through the same things :) Congrats again, and rock that studying!!!
    Char recently posted..the enemy

Congratulations!! It’s so amazing that you aren’t afraid to go back to studying for something other than what you went to college for. So many people wouldn’t do it because they are afraid. That is amazing, you are going to do great!

48. Darcy says

Dear Courtney,
    Wow……it looks like you have a lot of reading to do here too!
    I am so happy for you! I really enjoyed reading every single word of that blog. It was long, but it flew by because it was so interesting. What a great story! I am really, really happy for you that you found something that you love and will be so good at! I am truly happy for you and wish you the best of luck!

49. Katie says

Congratulations!

Aren’t you SO proud of yourself when you make a big decision like that? I think it’s an awesome way for you to put passion back into your teaching!

Congrats to you Courtney!!!

You are going to make such an incredible personal trainer. Your energetic, yet calming and motivating demeanor is exactly what people look for in a personal trainer. I’m so glad that you’re working towards something you are passionate about.

I know exactly what you mean about that little bit of passion being missing. I feel that way with PR – still sortin’ through what’s right…TBD :-)

And about the wordy post, I didn’t think so at all! You know me, I’m always wordy. I loved reading each and every word about your big news. Congrats again and can’t wait to hear more!
    Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..Healthified Cupcakes for my Intern

51. Christina says

Congratulations! I wish you the best with your new journey and can’t wait to read more about it :)

I have to say though — I really thought you were going to be working on baking full time — your cupcakes always look amazing and it seems like something you really enjoy! Maybe that will be something you continue on the side?

• Courtney says

Thank you! I’ll definitely still do them on the side, but I realized that cupcakes are more like a fun hobby for me. When I feel too forced to do them, it’s just not as fun anymore :)

Congrats, Courtney! I think this is a great step for you and certainly right up your alley. I want to commend you on being SO positive during your “interim” period, because I know that’s NOT always easy to do. I too believe that everything happens for a reason, and that we are given a life to have the chance to constantly recreate ourselves. It’s so exciting that you are in the process of that now. :) Congratulations again, and good luck studying!
    Laura@mypurposefullife recently posted..Goodbye August, Goodbye Old Habits

53. Camille says

Hey Courtney- Congrats! I also graduated in Elementary Ed, but since moving to LA with my husband last year, I haven’ pursued it. LA’s districts all have horrible reputations. :( What training or school are you going through? I’ve considered becoming a personal trainer myself.

Congratulations!! My first big job right out of college was teaching in a school (a little different because my degree isn’t in education) and I thought I was supposed to be so happy, but ended up experiencing a lot of what you talked about, moved on to a WAY less stable career and have never been happier! I love hearing anyone talk about pursuing what they want rather than what’s easy or what they think is expected of them. You are going to be amazing! :O)
    Ari @ Skinnified recently posted..Winnie’s first year!

55. Crystal Coppel says

Yay!!!! I’m so happy for you!!! I would totally hire you to be my personal trainer! I think it is fantastic that you made the decision to do something you love and something you want to do! That will make going to work even better for you. My brother did the same class you are doing and some others and became a personal trainer a few years ago and loves it! CONGRATS!!!!

ok…i’m a couple of days behind so i’m totally LATE in congratulating you on finding your passion again!!! i’m so excited for you and think you will be an awesome personal trainer. and though i don’t live close enough for you to train me, i know i’ll learn alot just by reading your blog. (btw, LOVE the details in your note-taking pic…i’m all about the details!!!)

this is super exciting news!!!!
    colleen @ thegiftofmondays recently posted..i miss my dad

57. kayleigh says

I’m a couple days late, but I wanted to congratulate you anyways, that is so exciting! You will be an awesome personal trainer!!!

58. Amy says

Congrats Courtney you’ll love it and be a great trainer too. I’ve filled in for my hubby before and its fun. I’m actually planning on getting certified too. who are u going through for your certification?

• Courtney says

Oooof…I’m sorry, Michelle. ;(
      I was in the same place as you at one point though, if that gives you any sense of relief. You’ll figure it out!!

59. Claire says

What an exciting step!!! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now (love it, btw) and this jumped out at me bc I felt like I had no direction after I graduated. A few people talked me into getting my certification, and I’ve been a trainer for two years now. It ended up being one of the best decisions I ever made. I’m sure you will do great!! Congrats!!

P.S. I took NASM too. Challenging, but highly recognized. Great choice!

That’s so exciting to be working towards your passion! I just took my personal trainer cert exam today (CSCS)! I’m waiting to find out how I did yet though. Good luck studying!
    Mac recently posted..Final Study Day!

Congratulations! That is so exciting. That’s exactly what happened to me when I lost my job three years ago – I figured out what it was I really wanted to do. Like once I had lost what I had, the options of “what to do next” were endless and so I had a chance to really think about it…. So happy for you! I do hope you’ll be posting some awesome workouts you come up with!
    Kim @thefamilypractice recently posted..A Mom Fail Moment

Thanks for sharing this! I can relate so much to that feeling of something being not right, and Sunday blues being more like Sunday depression. I was in a job that I was really not comfrotable in, I couldn’t really explain it in words, its just didn’t feel right and I came home demoralized every night. When I’d talk to people about it, most people would say “it’s a job, no one likes going to work.” But I knew it was more than that. 2 weeks ago I went on a 10 day vacation to Europe and I came back with a new perspective that I needed a change, and fast. fast forward 1 week, and this week I was extremely fortunate to start a new position doing something completely different with the same company. I am so lucky to have been in the right place at the right time to have found an opportunity so fast! But it was also very hard leaving because everyone was shocked by it, and made it harder on me. Sometimes we just have to make the right decision for us!

63. dee says

Congratulations on your new transition/decision! How exciting it must be for you! I love the feeling of actually wanting to study and immerse yourself in what you are learning. I’m going to school to become an elementary school teacher, and I hope this passion I have sticks around. With all of the budget cuts we’re experiencing, I’ve been told that I’m working toward a jobless degree! I’m sure it’ll look up soon. I loved the class pictures you shared and I’m excited for you to pursue your new passion!

I’m new to your blog and I stumbled upon this post, and even though it’s old I just *had* to comment because I’ve been in that EXACT same situation with teaching and thought I was the only one! I just decided not to renew my contract, and I’m at that stage of trying to figure out what I *really* want to do. I’m so happy to hear you had the courage to make a big change, and do something you’re passionate about. So encouraging! :)
    Kelly @Bella Vita recently posted..Reminiscing About Rome

I knew that I wanted to do something that had to do with health and fitness about 4 yrs ago but at that time I didn’t think I would be a good example as I was over weight and the only form of exercise I was doing was martial arts. I began this journey at that time and I’m so glad I will be getting my study material soon to become certified through NASM. I know how you were feeling. My education was a Cosmetology license w/an A.S.S. that I realized I hated doing once I got behind the chair! The ladies are catty and it’s like high school all over again. I want my life to mean something and I want to share my knowledge with others. It’s a ripple effect, you help someone and they help someone and so on!! Is it great to have passion!! I can’t wait to start learning more about something that I’m totally in LOVE with!

Hi courtney! I’ve just come across your blog and I absolutely love it. I’m a health and fitness enthusiast myself and I aspire to have a job similar to yours. I look forward to reading more and finding more about your journey (:

Trackbacks