Labor Day Happenings

by Courtney on September 5, 2011

Well, I’d say today has been a pretty good Labor Day for me. How about yours?

After spending a good half hour lounging, sipping, and thoroughly enjoying my fresh mug of coffee from the new pot, I got to work on a few other labor-intensive activities that I wanted to get done on this rainy Labor Day.

• Organize pictures
  • Respond to emails (<—still working on it…sorry for the delay!)
  • Grocery shopping
  • Workout (<—I wound up doing the speedy interval run- always a doozy!)
  • Bake a batch of these cookies
  • Bring up fall decorations from basement
  • Decorate upstairs

Unfortunately, the one thing I really wanted to get done today got pushed to the side and will have to wait until tomorrow.

Hey, at least it’s all out and ready to go, right? Winking smile

Mid-way through the afternoon, I fueled up with an un-pictured cherry pie Larabar, a banana, and a rather interesting smoothie combination.

I used this packet of Vega Shake & Go Tropical Tango as the base of my smoothie and then just sort of “winged” it with the rest.

• 1 packet Vega Shake & Go Tropical Tango
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 scoop vanilla SunWarrior
  • 1 cup cantaloupe
  • 5 ice cubes

I’m not quite sure I’d recommend the cantaloupe. I mean, I suppose it was alright, but it wasn’t a favorite. I would have added a frozen banana, but since I had already eaten one earlier in the day, I didn’t want to overload (<—too many bananas = no good for the tummy).

Dinner

Once I got back from the grocery store, I got to work on tonight’s dinner. It was a GOOD one!

I put together a couple Mexican-inspired salads for Jay and I tonight, after getting a huge craving for a Chipotle burrito bowl mid-grocery shop. Lucky for me, my salad fulfilled my cravings…and THEN some.

In my salad:

• romaine lettuce
  • mini cucumbers
  • tomatoes
  • avocado
  • red bell pepper
  • red onion
  • black beans
  • corn (cut off the cob)
  • taco seasoned chicken
  • Newman’s Own Pineapple Salsa
  • Crumbled corn tortillas (broiled in the oven for about 8 minutes to get crispy)

Jay took care of cooking up the chicken, which was a package of chicken tenders that he cut into chunks and rubbed with some of our homemade taco seasoning. He took the majority of the chicken, but I made sure to snag a few bites. Delicious!

The pineapple salsa was definitely the perfect “dressing” for this salad, too. Just a hint of spice, but loads of flavor to compliment the taco goodness.

Dessert

Oh yes, there was definitely dessert tonight.

Candy Cookie (sugar cookie ice cream with chocolate candy pieces) + Cookie Dough ice cream from Stewart’s.

I have been craving ice cream…real ice cream…for like, three days now. Well actually, I probably crave ice cream every day…who am I kidding? But these past three days have been intense. Jay and I were going to stop and get some last night, but we never did. So this evening after dinner, we went out and got a couple of our favorite flavors.

Definitely a perfect way to end a great holiday weekend. Hopefully your weekend is ending just as “sweet” as mine is. Winking smile

1 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 5, 2011 at 8:18 pm

My weekend was filled with sweet kisses from the new baby girl in my life! My sister had her baby, and I am IN LOVE!!! Ahhh- she owns my heart!
It looks like your to-do list has a whole lot checked off! Great work! And the ice cream to top it off is a great idea!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Labor Day?! …..I thought that was Friday???

2 Courtney September 5, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Aww, congratulations to your sister (and you too!) :)

3 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 5, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Oh I love fall decorations! I have to get mine out of storage!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..staying full on a vegetarian diet

4 cait September 5, 2011 at 8:20 pm

sounds like a great weekend girl :) that dessert looks amazing but then again so does that salad! xox

5 Lauren @ Forward is a Pace September 5, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Oh my. That ice cream looks delicious. I know what I’ll be having for dessert tonight!

6 Amy @ My Life as a Lazy Girl September 5, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Sometimes I wish I lived somewhere where I could experience fall. It’s still over 100 degrees in Vegas. It makes it hard to decorate for seasons. It’s definitely still summer here, but I want to put up pretty fall decorations and wear sweaters and jeans.
Amy @ My Life as a Lazy Girl recently posted..I’ve decided to try….

7 Courtney September 5, 2011 at 8:35 pm

As much as I despise winter, I can’t imagine not experiencing the seasons. Then again…I did love Vegas the one time I visited! ;)

8 Amy @ My Life as a Lazy Girl September 5, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I love living here and I grew up in Florida and went to college in South Carolina, so I’ve never really experienced seasons. I spent one week in Erie, PA two winters ago, that was enough winter for me! If you ever come back to Vegas, you’ll have to let me know.
Amy @ My Life as a Lazy Girl recently posted..I’ve decided to try….

9 Courtney September 5, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I will definitely keep that in mind! Thanks Amy :)

10 Sweet and Savvy September 5, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I’ve been OBSESSED with Paul Newman’s pineapple salsa! it is seriously the best. I’ve been throwing it on everything!
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Girls Hate Their Bodies

11 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health September 5, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Yay for fall decorations! I just bought a “spiced cider” candle from bath and body works today :). I need to make a mexican salad soon…that looks so delicious! And that ice cream looks amazing. I just had some real ice cream too- oreo cake batter flavor. It was totally worth those $4 haha
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Why I Chose OT

12 briana September 5, 2011 at 8:43 pm

mine is definitely sweet as well fro yo last night and pb cake tonight, I’m hoping I fit into my wedding dress in three weeks!

13 Jen September 5, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Ice Creeeeeeeeeeam! I’m a firm believer in “real” ice cream. I don’t buy into any of that fake sugar/low-carb frozen crap. Yours looks so good! Your salad also looks like perfection, minus the red onion. I don’t think I’ll ever like the taste of raw red onion.

I hope your NASM studying is going well! I kept my book (obvi.), and lately I’ve been thinking about skimming through it again, but still haven’t!

14 Courtney September 5, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Yes, it is! Thank you! :)

15 Stephanie @ A Hungry Bookworm September 5, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I love that you are getting your fall decorations out! Mine couldn’t wait any longer, they’ve been up for about a week.
Stephanie @ A Hungry Bookworm recently posted..Blog Mission Statement

16 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers September 5, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Though my weekend didn’t end maybe as “sweet” as yours, I DID have a “creme brulee” beer-shake. Which is like a milkshake. But different. It wasn’t delicious, but I’ll admit, I wish I had many more pumpkin shaped decorations to round out the night!!
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday: A Day Late for Labor Day

17 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn September 5, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Okay it’s official. We’re going back to Philly just to eat a shit ton of ice cream and froyo. It’s decided.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Lessons From College #1

18 Katie @ Plates and Paste September 5, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Ha, that reminds me…when’s the next installment of your ice cream tour??
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Coasting Through Coaster Making

19 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 5, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Isn’t Stewarts ice cream the best!? We were in the grocery store yesterday and contemplated buying Edy’s or some other brand on sale when we were both like “screw this, Stewarts is so much better and worth the extra $!”
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Happy Labor Day!

20 Lindsay @ biking before bed September 5, 2011 at 11:58 pm

I bought a cant cantelope yesterday and had been debating using it in a smoothie. Now maybe I’ll just eat it plain:)
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Monday Memories: Big Bend Part 1

21 Alba&Dilek @TwoBaklavaStory September 6, 2011 at 1:03 am

I like the pretty salad! The ice cream seems filled with things that I would have so much fun picking out one by one and then I would eat the plain ice cream!
Alba&Dilek @TwoBaklavaStory recently posted..Can Anybody hear us?

22 Khushboo September 6, 2011 at 1:23 am

Watching the seasons change is one of the things I miss most about living in Mumbai- it’s either manic rain or super hot here. I used to love watching the leaves change color and fall make its appearance!
Khushboo recently posted..Knowledge without college

23 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 6, 2011 at 5:17 am

Girl do I feel you on the ongoing ice cream craving– it happens to the best of us ;)
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Blogging Standards & Mexican Food

24 Kierston September 6, 2011 at 6:32 am

Dido! I crave ice cream every day! I ended my long weekend on a sweet note…a small ‘trail mix’ type bowl of my favorite *CaNdY* :)
Kierston recently posted..Ride & Dine! Restaurant Eating Made Guilt FUree :)

25 Hope September 6, 2011 at 8:21 am

That burrito bowl looks amazing! I never tried taco seasoning on chicken before. I’m definitely going to have to! This looks even better than Chipotle! :)
Hope recently posted..Offended At The Supermarket…

26 nicole @ simply Nicole September 6, 2011 at 8:21 am

Aww, I love decorating for fall. Your picture of your decorations made me happy =) Hopefully you’ll have some time this week to make your place look fab!
nicole @ simply Nicole recently posted..Exploring yoga – Yin Yoga

27 Kelly September 6, 2011 at 8:33 am

My weekend was terrible. I have been on fire alert all weekend. Austin is burning and it has been awful!
Kelly recently posted..24 hours in fear

28 Courtney September 6, 2011 at 8:58 am

I’ve been thinking of you, Kelly. Stay safe down there…you’re in my thoughts!

29 Ari @ Ari's Menu September 6, 2011 at 10:44 am

That salad looks amazing!! Yummm!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Skinnified Sunday: Rachael Ray’s Pesto Presto Chicken

30 Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly September 6, 2011 at 11:33 am

I love mexican salads! I make my own dressing for mine and it’s so simple and tasty (Lime Juice, Garlic, Olive Oil, & salt/pepp) Ugh I could eat it every day of the week!
Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly recently posted..Decadent Roasted Vegetables

31 Laura @ Unchartered 20s September 6, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I’m so excited for autumn things!! I have to go through my stuff and dig out the fall decorations! :D
Laura @ Unchartered 20s recently posted..Wine Birthday Tour

32 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Ahhh, I cannot wait to start decorating!! :D
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..The First Glimpse

33 Katie @ The Purposeful Woman September 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Can’t wait to get my decore out!!!! Yipee for fall!!! :) Lovely salad by the way!
Katie @ The Purposeful Woman recently posted..Farmer’s Market Freshness