The BEST Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes are right here and waiting for you! Jazz up a basic boxed mix with some pumpkin and spices, and pair it with the most amazing, homemade Honey Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting. They’ll be a hit!
No surprise here…I’ve already begun embracing all things “fall” related. I’ve pulled the decorations up from the basement, I started burning my pumpkin spice candles, and I’ve already indulged in a few pumpkin spice coffees from Dunkin Donuts.
Have I mentioned I love fall?
Well, along with my love of fall comes my love of fall baking, and today I have a recipe for you all that is easily one of my absolute fall favorites. This is a recipe that I actually had originally posted on Tina’s blog almost a year ago, but I think that it’s awesome enough to re-share it again: Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes.
Okay, these cupcakes are not only absolutely scrumptious, but they’re healthified, too…you are welcome. Whenever I whip up a batch of these, I tend to make the following modifications to the original recipe:
- unsweetened applesauce for vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup Egg Beaters for 3 whole eggs.
If anything, I find that substituting the applesauce for oil almost always makes for a more moist, sponge-like cupcake, but it really hits the mark in this recipe. And if it makes it healthier, than why not, right?
The frosting, on the other hand, is not exactly healthy. However, when is frosting ever supposed to be healthy? I’ll take a healthified cupcake + not-so-healthy (but oh-so-delicious) frosting any day. It all evens out.
The frosting I like using with these pumpkin spice cupcakes is my Honey Cinnamon Cream Cheese frosting. It’s honesty just a perfect match.
So if you’re looking for a perfect fall recipe that’s full of flavor and sure to be a crowd pleaser, then you definitely have to give these guys a try. I promise you won’t regret it.
Yields 24 regular cupcakes
Jazz up a basic spice cake mix with some pumpkin and the most amazing honey cinnamon cream cheese frosting. Perfect for any time of year!
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 (15oz.) can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Honey Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting (see link below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Paper-line or grease 24 muffin cups.
- Blend cake mix, pumpkin, egg substitute, applesauce, water, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice until moistened. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared muffin cups, about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-23 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. After 10 minutes, remove from pans, place on wire racks, and cool completely.
- Prepare frosting according to directions and spread evenly on cupcakes. ENJOY!
Don’t forget the recipe for Honey Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting!!
(Adapted from this original recipe)
I think I need to go pick up a box of spice cake now…I’ll catch ya’ll later!
Question for the Afternoon:
What are some of your favorite fall treats? (pumpkin, apples, cider donuts..all of the above?)