Just Can’t Resist Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes

No surprise here…I’ve already begun embracing all things “fall” related. I’ve pulled the decorations up from the basement, I started burning my pumpkin spice candles, and I’ve already indulged in a few pumpkin spice coffees from Dunkin Donuts.

Have I mentioned I love fall?

Well, along with my love of fall comes my love of fall baking, and today I have a recipe for you all that is easily one of my absolute fall favorites. This is a recipe that I actually had originally posted on Tina’s blog almost a year ago, but I think that it’s awesome enough to re-share it again: Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes.

Okay, these cupcakes are not only absolutely scrumptious, but they’re healthified, too…you are welcome. Whenever I whip up a batch of these, I tend to make the following modifications to the original recipe:

• unsweetened applesauce for vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup Egg Beaters for 3 whole eggs.

If anything, I find that substituting the applesauce for oil almost always makes for a more moist, sponge-like cupcake, but it really hits the mark in this recipe. And if it makes it healthier, than why not, right? Winking smile

The frosting, on the other hand, is not exactly healthy. However, when is frosting ever supposed to be healthy? I’ll take a healthified cupcake + not-so-healthy (but oh-so-delicious) frosting any day. It all evens out.

The frosting I like using with these pumpkin spice cupcakes is my Honey Cinnamon Cream Cheese frosting. It’s honesty just a perfect match.

So if you’re looking for a perfect fall recipe that’s full of flavor and sure to be a crowd pleaser, then you definitely have to give these guys a try. I promise you won’t regret it.

I think I need to go pick up a box of spice cake now…I’ll catch ya’ll later!

Question for the Afternoon:

What are some of your favorite fall treats? (pumpkin, apples, cider donuts..all of the above?)

Comments

Hi Courtney! I recently started reading your blog and love it. Those cupcakes sound amazing and I actually used your oatmeal raisin chocolate chunk cookie recipe yesterday. We definitely share a love for baking and all things pumpkin! It’s funny I actually wrote a post yesterday about healthy substitutions for cooking.

• Courtney says

Ok, I’m definitely going to have to go get one tomorrow. I can’t believe that I forgot about that! Boooo. 😉

Oh man, I hope I’m able to find an excuse to bake these really soon because they look like heaven! My husband doesn’t like pumpkin (I just don’t get it!), so if I bake a batch of these bad boys, I’ll need to find people to share them with otherwise they would easily and quickly ALL end up in my belly! Thanks for sharing!

I love all things pumpkin flavored, from pasta to cake to coffee! I just can never seem to get enough of that great pumpkin spice flavor!!! I’m so happy its fall! I’ve totally put out decorations and buring pumpkin candles as well! The frosting on those cupcakes looks so great, I love how professional they look and wish mine would look that way!!!
    Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life recently posted..Labor Day Recap and Weekly Workouts

4. Lisa says

I’ve been following your blog for roughly a year now and love everything about it. I nabbed this recipe last year and made it at least five times. My family and friends loved it. I even gave it to a top celebrity’s manager and he devoured it. Keep the pumpkin recipes coming because in my opinion, this is when your cooking is at it’s prime.

• Courtney says

Hahaha, thank you, Lisa!
      I will definitely see what I can do about delivering some more pumpkin recipes this fall season. Thanks for the confidence booster! 😀

These look delish (in fact I might be drooling…just a little)! I recently found my love of pumpkin so I will definitely have to try these babies. My favorite fall treat is Starbucks Caramel Apple Cider. Nothing screams fall to me like the warm spicy goodness of cider.
    Lyndsie @ highcottonlivin.com recently posted..Pizza and Soccer

this morning i had a pumpking donut in celebration of my 2-years.
    it was delightful, but i have a feeling that it was missing honey cinnamon cream cheese frosting. holy cow, lady – that looks DELICIOUS! xo
    Heather recently posted..Two Years

These look amazing and are exactly what I’m craving right now! With school starting up again, I’m calling it fall. My favorite fall treat is cider donuts. I do not eat them often, but I love to get them from an orchard about twice over the season.
    Laura recently posted..Zucchini Enchiladas

8. Sue says

How do you frost your cupcakes to make them look so nice. When I try, it just looks like a blob of frosting on top!!!

Sue

9. Amber says

Oooo I’m so excited to try these! And I am officially inspired to start pulling out my fall decorations! It’s still warm here so it makes it hard to make the switch, but I’m convinced now!

10. Julie says

omg i made these cupcakes last night (with just plain cream cheese frosting though) and they are DELISH! i brought them into work and they’re almost completely gone–everyone’s been raving about them :) thanks for the recipe!

11. Shaina Reynolds says

Courtney- Can I use just egg whites in this recipes? I only have the egg beaters-WHITES cause that’s all I eat but will it work? And how much should I use?

• Courtney says

I would think so – typically when replacing egg whites for eggs, you want 2 whites for each egg. So in this case that would be 6 egg whites (not sure how much that translates to in the container…a cup?)
      I’ve never tried all whites, so I’m not sure how it will effect the texture, but I’d love to know if you try it!

Love how easy this recipe can be. I love Fall baking too.

What is the size of the cake mix you used? The reason I asked is because there are now 15 oz and 18 oz cake mix. I believe Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker changed their box weight recently.
    Lea @ Healthy Coconut recently posted..Rustic Pasta

13. Diana says

I’d love to make these for a pumpkin carving party on Sunday. I have the same question as Lea. Do you know what size and type of cake mix you used?

Trackbacks