Good News and Bad News

by Courtney on September 7, 2011

The good news is that I slept a whole lot better last night than I did two nights ago.

The bad news is that, what I initially thought was just an onset of allergies, is now a crappy cold.

I’ve got my arsenal of goods for right now and am hoping I can stay on top of this bad boy. I’m a total baby very impatient when it comes to colds, so the quicker I can get rid of this thing, the better!

But hey…there are certainly worse things in life, right? Whining has now officially commenced, SO…let’s move along, shall we?

Last Night’s Dinner

Jay and I always have such a good time with our friends Joe and Kate. We’ve all had some crazy busy schedules this summer, and finding weekends to get together has been tough. Luckily, fall is right around the corner…which means football season…which means that we’ll most likely be seeing a lot more of them.

IMG_4866IMG_4867

We all love our “Football Sundays,” whether they’re at home, tailgating at West Point, or taking a trip down to a Jets vs. Dolphins game.

So needless to say, even though there was no football involved, last night’s QT with them was great…and so was the food!

On the menu: BBQ Pulled Chicken, corn on the cob, sweet potato fries (not pictured), corn bread, orzo salad (courtesy of Kate) and zucchini chips.

In addition to the plate above, I also went back for seconds of orzo salad and thirds (maybe fourths, who’s counting?) of corn bread.

I’m telling you, I really shouldn’t even be allowed to make the stuff. I cannot be controlled. Especially when there’s homemade honey butter involved. It’s just soooo good.

The zucchini chips were also pretty tasty, which I made loosely from a recipe I found in one of my Hungry Girl cookbooks.

All in all, despite a runny nose, it was a great evening had by all five of us…

Yes, Cody had to be in on the action, too. Smile

*****

Alright, I think it’s time to go find something for breakfast…hmm, what to have??

Questions for the Morning:

WOULD YOU RATHER…

• Be sick with a runny nose –OR- a sore throat?
  • Spend your Sunday afternoon watching nothing but football –OR- reruns of The Jersey Shore?
  • Receive good news first –OR- bad news first?

1 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health September 7, 2011 at 8:53 am

Oh no, I hope you feel better soon!! Cody is so cute :). I hope little CJ eventually comes out from under my bed and lets me hold him as opposed to me having to take great strides to get him out haha
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Walk it Out

2 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 7, 2011 at 9:01 am

my 3 yr old was wearing the same jets tee as your hubs yesterday! cute!
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Fall Back Wednesday

3 Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) September 7, 2011 at 9:02 am

I’d totally spend all afternoon watching football- I love it!… especially college. :)
Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted..What I Ate…on my Due Date

4 colleen @ thegiftofmondays September 7, 2011 at 9:03 am

i can’t control myself around cornbread either. or any bread really. i am a bread girl! i read once that people who crave bread are really craving the sugar in the bread. yeah, that would be me. i’ll take my sugar any way i can get it!!!

hope you feel better soon!!!
colleen @ thegiftofmondays recently posted..i should be good at death by now

5 Samantha @ Because I Can September 7, 2011 at 9:04 am

I hope you feel better soon! I”m battling some wicked allergy issues myself right now, knock on wood that’s all it is so far.

I’d rather have a sore throat – at least I can drink tea/honey all day. If your nose is runny all day, then it’s going to be sore and chapped on top of being runny, and then look like Rudolph! No thanks!

I’d rather watch football all day every day then Jersey shore ever!

Give me the bad news first, it’ll make the good seem even better!
Samantha @ Because I Can recently posted..Ch Ch Ch Changes…

6 nicole @ simply Nicole September 7, 2011 at 9:07 am

that corn bread looks amazing. i had corn bread this weekend as well.

if i had to pick between football and jersey shore, i’d probably pick football– but only if everyone else was interested as well. & if i had a cute jersey to wear =)
nicole @ simply Nicole recently posted..5 Ways to Accept Setbacks

7 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 7, 2011 at 9:08 am

Aw I’m so sorry that you’re feeling under the weather! Try taking some Airborne– that stuff always works wonders for me!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Chia Seed Thick Oats Trick

8 Jodi September 7, 2011 at 9:12 am

I am a HUGE baby at even the slightest hint of sickness, too. I hardly ever get sick (knock on wood), so I guess I’m not ‘used to it’ when I do get a cold?

I am SO ready for football season!! Fall is already in the air, here in TN. Hope you get to feeling better quickly!
Jodi recently posted..ALL CLEAR: FeedMedic Alert for SouthernFlavoredLife

9 Hope September 7, 2011 at 9:22 am

I really hope you feel better soon! Being sick is no fun. Drink lots of fluids and get some rest! :)

Dinner looks delicious! I love a good cornbread! Yum!
Hope recently posted..Soy-Ginger Coated Shrimp…

10 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer September 7, 2011 at 9:25 am

I love everything about that dinner! Bummer about your cold, I hope you recover fast!
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Chicken Skin

11 Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 7, 2011 at 9:25 am

Good to see Cody didn’t miss out on the fun :)

Poor you – I hope you feel better soon! I’ve been feeling like I was getting a cold the last few days but it hasn’t arrived so fingers crossed!
Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #4

12 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 7, 2011 at 9:27 am

Oh man, I’m a big cornbread and honey butter lover too! I rarely ever make it because I’ll eat the whole pan. :)

I’d rather have a runny nose I think. They both suck though.
I’d rather watch football all day!
I’d rather hear bad news first… at least you can end on a good note!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..5 Components of Fitness

13 Emily September 7, 2011 at 9:32 am

Love, Love, Love your blog and can’t wait to read your new posts. Curious if you make the corn bread from scratch or if you have a particular brand you usually buy? Also, did you make the homemade honey butter? Would love to know how you made that. Looking forward to making the pulled chicken this weekend. Thanks, you rock!!

14 Courtney September 7, 2011 at 9:47 am

Thanks, Emily!
The corn bread is from scratch – I use this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/golden-sweet-cornbread/detail.aspx.
The only substitution I made last night was substitute applesauce for the oil. Delicious!
As for the honey butter, all I do is mix butter with honey. :) I don’t usually measure, I just keep adding honey until it’s to where I like it!

15 Melissa September 7, 2011 at 9:32 am

Awe, poor you! Hope you feel better fast, doll!

I cannot be controlled around cornbread, either. Why is it SO good?!?! Have you ever made it with pumpkin before?? You should try it. Or, maybe not. ;)
Melissa recently posted..The Post in Which I Talk About Dating

16 Courtney September 7, 2011 at 9:48 am

Yes, I have! It is pretty good…I actually made last night’s batch with applesauce, which I also like :)

17 Faith @ For the Health of It September 7, 2011 at 9:36 am

Oh gosh, nothing but football for sure! I mean, that’s already what my Sundays are like ;) Runny nose and good news first, for the others.

Feel better!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Chocolate Zucchini Bread Oats

18 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 7, 2011 at 9:36 am

Those zucchini rounds look delicious!
I’d rather have a runny nose all the way. Sore throats are so painful and anything that disrupts eating is never good ;)
Jersey Shore reruns. Don’t hate me, but I can’t stand football!
I’d rather hear the good news first :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..A progressive decline

19 Holly September 7, 2011 at 9:36 am

Feel better Court!!
I want those zucchini chips- can’t wait to check out the recipe. & guess what I’m making with dinner tonight?! Corn bread…oh yes. Hopefully I don’t eat half of the pan…ha! We need to seriously start up cornbread lovers anon ;) We can be the first 2 members.
1. Runny nose. Sore throat is the worst. ugh!
2. Football ALL day..FOR sure :D
3. Bad news first
Holly recently posted..How Do You Take Your Coffee?

20 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers September 7, 2011 at 9:40 am

I personally am of the opinion that you should be eating more zucchini chips for breakfast. But that’s just me.

I hate a sore throat, so I’d rather have my nose run marathons than sound like a DJ is scratch-attacking my throat when I talk (remix?)

When music comes on, my fists naturally and beyond my control, lift in the air and pump until it is silenced. So Jersey Shore, it is.

ALWAYS bad news first. It’s just the silliest to choose good news first, letting your spirits be lifted then thrown to the ground. I like to be kicked to that ground, then have the puffy cloud of good news lift me.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..How to Not Get a Date with Me (alternative title: Creeps at Bubs)

21 Sweet and Savvy September 7, 2011 at 9:47 am

Ew! I hate colds too! They’re the worst!:( hope you feel better!

22 Blog is the New Black September 7, 2011 at 9:52 am

Colds stink! But the BBQ chicken sounds delish!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Easy Flank Steak with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce

23 Candice September 7, 2011 at 9:56 am

Feel better soon!! have you ever tried a netting pot to help with stuffy/runny nose? they are what I call interesting..haha.
1. sore throat for sure
2 Football- I like jersey shore but I feel just a little dumber after each episode..ha!
3. Bad news
Candice recently posted..Labor Day

24 Jessica @ Bake a Little September 7, 2011 at 9:57 am

That corn bread looks UNREAL. Makes me hungry!
Jessica @ Bake a Little recently posted..My Family Picks Things

25 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 7, 2011 at 9:58 am

Football season!!! YAHHHHHH!
The husband is a football coach so it is gametime in the house of S&S!
I would totally rather watch football all day! (Oooo, honey butter! My mouth just watered! )
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Labor Day?! ….. Wasn’t that Friday?! …..And the new baby is a……….

26 Lyndsie @ highcottonlivin.com September 7, 2011 at 9:59 am

I hope you start feeling better soon! Colds are the pits. :(

I would rather a runny nose over a sore throat for sure.
Bring on the football, baby!! ;)
Bad news first so I can end on a good note.
Lyndsie @ highcottonlivin.com recently posted..WIAW + The Disappearing Bush

27 Helen September 7, 2011 at 9:59 am

Aww Im sorry you have a cold! Hope that you feel better!!! I think I would rather have a runny nose because even though its annoying, it doesn’t hurt like a sore throat. I think that I would rather watch Jersey shore on a Sunday for the simple fact that Saturday nights are sacred as football nights. I always want the bad news first because when its followed by good news, it makes it a little easier.

28 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! September 7, 2011 at 10:05 am

I just finished up my morning post that also included how I am getting sick! It mst be the time of year I suppose!!
I hope you feel better soon!
Andrea @ Andrea out loud! recently posted..Down With The Sickness

29 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life September 7, 2011 at 10:14 am

To me there is nothing worse than a stuffy nose. I rather have a sore throat, cough, sneeze, anything but the stuffy nose.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Labor Day Weekend -Duex-

30 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) September 7, 2011 at 10:19 am

Sorry you aren’t feeling well! I’d rather have a sore throat….running noses are just annoying!
I always ask for the bad news first…like to get it over and done with first!
Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) recently posted..142.8 yesterday; 145.4 today…Labor Day Burgers

31 Arimey September 7, 2011 at 10:23 am

I’m sorry you’re not feeling well – get better soon!!

1. Having a stuffy nose is the worst! I’d definitely rather have a sore throat.
2. Nothing but football – I love this time of year! I can’t wait to spend Sundays cuddled up on the couch with the snow outside watching a great game with the hubby.
3. Bad news first. I’d rather just know.

32 Katie @ Plates and Paste September 7, 2011 at 10:32 am

Sore throat, Jersey Shore, bad news :)
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Bummer Town

33 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries September 7, 2011 at 10:33 am

A sore throat is so obnoxious! It’s like “I feel bad, it hurts when I swallow, but if you look at me you can’t tell I’m sick.”
I’d rather watch football all day than watch the Jersey Shore…but I don’t really enjoy either.
Bad news first! It’s better to end on a happy note :)

34 Katie @ The Purposeful Woman September 7, 2011 at 10:53 am

So sorry you’re not feeling good!! I hate sore throats and would def. take a runny nose over one!! Take care of yourself and you’ll be on the mend soon!!

Not a fan of Jersey shore :(. You make me get so excited for football season…i’ll have to try tailgating this year!!
Katie @ The Purposeful Woman recently posted..Strawberry Pie Breakfast

35 e@thisnotedlife September 7, 2011 at 11:09 am

ooh i hope you feel better soon! I HATE being sick and am probably one of the most dramatic (read: convinced im dying) sick person alive.

36 Ruthie Hart September 7, 2011 at 11:14 am

yum!! i am now craving zucchini, orzo, corn bread and sweet potato fries! I love football food!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Funny hehehe

37 Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 7, 2011 at 11:27 am

Ooh, I LOVE zucchini chips!!! But then again, they’re fried and pretty much anything fried is amazing!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Pasta with Eggplant and Tomato Caponata

38 Courtney September 7, 2011 at 11:51 am

Mine weren’t fried! They were baked :)

39 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun September 7, 2011 at 11:30 am

I hope you get to feeling better soon! And I would so rather have a runny nose. Sore throat means no eating and that just makes me sad. And mean…
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Blogging: Page Views and Money Talk Part One

40 Courtney September 7, 2011 at 11:52 am

Hahaha, I hear that! No food = stay away from Courtney ;)

41 Faith September 7, 2011 at 11:33 am

I am (hopefully) in the last stage of a nasty end-of-summer cold too. Ugh. Nothing like a little sickness to remind me how grateful I am for health. Hope you feel better soon!
Faith recently posted..Living Room Plans

42 Kathryn @ Flopoodle September 7, 2011 at 11:50 am

Looks fun! Hope you feel better soon – looks like you’ve got all the tools to get better :)
Kathryn @ Flopoodle recently posted..Crazy In The Kitchen

43 Kait September 7, 2011 at 11:55 am

-I have a sore throat right now…so a runny nose sounds better to me (the grass is always greener on the other side right?)
-Definitely football over Jersey Shore
-I like bad news before good news…that way the good news can cheer me up.
Kait recently posted..Blogging on the move…an update on life

44 Khushboo September 7, 2011 at 11:56 am

Having a cold is the worst, especially when it involves losing taste- nothing sucks more than not being able to taste….however that doesn’t stop me from eating haha! Hope you’re back to normal soon!
Khushboo recently posted..5 things

45 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl September 7, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Yay for football season!

Confession: I’d totally rather watch the jersey shore reruns…
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..How to be a Bad Influence on Your Parents

46 Brittany @ Life of a Bama Girl September 7, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I hope you feel better soon!

I would rather have a runny nose. I don’t like jersey shore so definitely give me some football! I’d rather hear good news first because at least I am be happy for a few seconds if you tell me bad news first when I hear the good news I’ll still be thinking about the bad.

47 Lindsay @ biking before bed September 7, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Changes of seasons are the worst for getting sick! Get plenty of vitamin c! I would rather have a runny nose. Sore throats are miserable!
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Shrimp and Bacon Marinara

48 Hannah September 7, 2011 at 12:38 pm

feel better.
we are both in recovery/dealing with pain/illness.
i would rather watch football.– jersey shore has begun to really annoy me.. more than ever!
rather deal with sore throat.
mm i guess good news first.
Hannah recently posted..recovery

49 Jess@atasteofconfidence September 7, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I hope you feel better! I’d rather have a runny nose, watch football, and bad news first!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Things I Left at Home

50 Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly September 7, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Ahhhh football season how i’ve missed thee :)

Feel better !

51 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 7, 2011 at 1:15 pm

gah, corn bread makes me think of the many childhood trips I took to Boston Market. I was a naive little girl who didn’t LIKE corn bread and gave it all up to my mama.

thankfully, I’ve come to my senses and now inhale corn bread as every American should.
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..The Half Marathon We Didn’t Rock ‘n’ Roll

52 Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts September 7, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Umm, those zucchini chips (and everything else) look amazing. Just found the recipe and printed, I will be trying this ASAP. And that corn bread…my mouth is watering!

– Runny nose anyday. Sore throats are the worst!
– Football over Jersey Shore for sure!
– I’ll take bad news first. The good news will cheer me up. :)
Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts recently posted..Rain Out and Random Stuff

53 Mariana September 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Runny nose…football…..bad news first
Mariana recently posted..Cupcakes de limón

54 Laura @ Unchartered 20s September 7, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I hope you feel better soon! Colds are the worst!

I would rather be sick with a sore throat
Spend your Sunday afternoon watching reruns of The Jersey Shore
Receive good news first!
Laura @ Unchartered 20s recently posted..You Shouldn’t Have A Reality Show

55 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 7, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I think I have a cold too… boo! :(

I definitely rather have a runny nose because sore throats are the worst!
-Jersey Shore
-Bad news first!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..After School Snacks

56 Emily @ Relishments September 7, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I made zucchini chips last night too! I used this Cooking Light recipe (http://www.health.com/health/recipe/0,,10000001087041,00.html) and they turned out really well. What a funny coincidence!
Emily @ Relishments recently posted..An Ode to Rice and Beans

57 Anna@ActiveFingers September 7, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Feel better soon! I have my first cold of the fall season as well :( as a music/voice teacher I would prefer a stuffy nose over a soar throat any day. Enjoy the extra rest, extra liquids and extra vitamin C!
Anna@ActiveFingers recently posted..Growing Up