Kicking It To The Curb

by Courtney on September 7, 2011

So when I last left you all, I was questioning what to have for breakfast. Well, apparently this cold also had the ability to temporarily jog my memory because I *almost* forgot about my very important purchase yesterday afternoon.

Of course! The pumpkin! This meant one thing and one thing only…

A pumpkin buckwheat bowl:

• 1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Creamy Buckwheat (I’m almost out…time to restock at iHerb! Remember – use coupon code SAZ564 for $5.00 your first order!)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/2 mashed banana, stirred in at the end
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin, stirred in at the end
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp PB2
  • Love Grown Foods Cocoa Goodness granola

Thank goodness for the fact that this cold has not taken my taste buds. That is the worst, isn’t it?

However, after looking at today’s lunch, you may wonder whether or not I still have properly working taste buds…

Okay, I know. It’s pretty ugly. But I promise…it tasted so much better than it looks.

This was my attempt at tackling just some of the 800 containers of leftovers that are currently taking over our fridge. My leftovers of choice for this afternoon included black beans, corn (off) the cob, beets, sweet potatoes, and zucchini chips. I also added about a tablespoon of goat cheese, threw it in the microwave, and let everything get acquainted.

It may not look pretty, but it was definitely better tasting than I expected, AND a pretty sweet way of getting some veggies into mah belly. Winking smile

Plus, it also complimented my side dish rather nicely…

Another fantastic slice of cornbread, reheated and topped with a little more honey butter. For those of you who have asked, I use this recipe from All Recipes, but I make two very important changes:

• substitute applesauce for the oil
  • Drizzle the top of the corn bread batter with honey before baking.

These two adjustments (plus the honey butter) are what make the cornbread amazing, in my opinion. Winking smile

*****

I’ve decided to take the day off from working out in favor of kicking this cold to the curb, so that means no Wednesday Mash-Up. BUT, just in case you’re looking for some great cardio routines, here are some of my favorites that you may or may not have given a try yet!

*****

On a side note, I want to give a quick shout out to three lovely ladies, all of whom I consider close blog friends, who just hit a huge milestone marking their 2 Year Blogging Anniversaries this week. Congratulations to Julie, Heather, and Julie! Keep on rockin’ it, ladies!

Question for the Afternoon:

When you’re sick, how do you decide whether or not to rest or continue with a regular workout?

1 Heather September 7, 2011 at 2:07 pm

thanks, DARLING :) xoxoxoxoxox
Heather recently posted..With Tattoo?

2 Julie @SavvyEats September 7, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Thank you for the shout-out, dear! xoxo, hope you kick the cold soon!
Julie @SavvyEats recently posted..Freezing Out a Goal

3 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers September 7, 2011 at 2:10 pm

thank you for being my blogging sounding board, a good friend an all-around wonderful person! :)
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..Two Years

4 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life September 7, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I need to pick up pumpkin ASAP. I’ve been craving pumpkin pancakes like crazy. I’ve never tried buckwheat, at least I don’t think I have. Lots of times I find that I’ve eaten things throughout my childhood, but I didn’t know the English word for them. Anyway, whats the taste and texture like? I wanna try em out but I don’t want to commit to a whole bag to find that I hate it.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Labor Day Weekend -Duex-

5 Nicole @ PancakesandPilates September 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I can’t wait to try this. My brothers are going to be SO excited come Thanksgiving :)

6 Whitney September 7, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I always heard (not sure from who) that if your symptoms are from neck up (sinus, stuffy nose, sneezing, etc) it is okay to continue to work out if you are feeling up to is. Neck down (aches, chills, fatigue, tight lungs) you should not work out regardless. Ultimately, it’s up to the individual on how good they feel. Hope you feel better soon :)

7 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled September 7, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Honey on the cornbread before you bake it? Great tip! So trying that next time.

Getting sick is no fun. I had a slight cold a few weeks ago and the worst thing for me is breathing through my mouth (I’m totally not a mouth breather), which makes eating really annoying and food not taste as good.

I hope you feel better soon!
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..Hitting a Mental Wall

8 Samantha @ Because I Can September 7, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I totally go by how I feel, and if the cold is only about my chest. If any of my illness is below the neck – I do not workout, especially if it’s a chest cold.

I bailed on my workout last night, because I had a WICKED sinus headache that I couldn’t kick no matter how hard I tried.
Samantha @ Because I Can recently posted..Ch Ch Ch Changes…

9 Hannah September 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm

mm pumpkin!
it really depends on what kind of sick!
sometimes if i am just completely exhausted aka the last couple days- i do take a break.
it is hard to realize you need a break but it is needed!
Hannah recently posted..Team Philly Race Team

10 Kathryn @ Flopoodle September 7, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I decide based on how my head feels and how much energy I have. I have a really hard time working out when I have a headache, so that is a deal-killer for me. If I’m achy and can barely move, no workout :)
Kathryn @ Flopoodle recently posted..Crazy In The Kitchen

11 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 7, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I’m so sorry to hear you’re not feeling well! If I’m feeling really run down and weak, then I opt to skip my workout for the day. Or if I’m feeling kinda blah and on the verge of getting sick, I’ll still do my workout but tone it down quite a bit. A rest day can definitely be a good thing! Hope you feel better soon!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..5 Components of Fitness

12 Brittany September 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I’m all about the leftovers thrown into a bowl to make lunch. They may not look pretty but they’re normally quite delish. :)

Hope you feel better soon lady!
Brittany recently posted..Rainy Day Lentil Soup

13 Ellie@fitforthesoul September 7, 2011 at 2:37 pm

ahhhh get better soon, and take care! :D
This is a tough one, b/c I tend to “love” overworking myself for some reason…ehhhh exercise masochist? haha jk. But I think if I know that my body has no energy to exert, then I know I’ll push it to the limit and get sicker eventually. So that’s when I just keep from working out if I’m not supposed to.

14 Aubrie September 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Your recipes make my life so much better! Haha, but in all seriousness, keep all that delicious pumpkin themed goodness coming :)
Aubrie recently posted..LINK: Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes from Sweet Tooth Sweet Life

15 Leighann September 7, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I make the same cornbread and will try your substitution. Do you use sweetened or unsweetened applesauce? Hope you feel better!

16 Ruthie Hart September 7, 2011 at 3:00 pm

LOL! I am so like you! I love mixing random stuff I have in the fridge and calling it a meal…most people would be disgusted! Yours looks delish!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Funny hehehe

17 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 7, 2011 at 3:12 pm

If I can sweat out the sickness I work out but there are things that you just can’t sweat out so then I rest for sure!!! Nothing kicks you in the bum faster than draining your body when it is already on empty. That’s just asking for more trouble!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Labor Day?! ….. Wasn’t that Friday?! …..And the new baby is a……….

18 allison @ thesundayflog September 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm

this is my GO TO cornbread recipe, also from allrecipes.com – http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grandmothers-buttermilk-cornbread/detail.aspx YUM YUM YUM :)
allison @ thesundayflog recently posted..Sweat: Running in the Rain

19 Emily September 7, 2011 at 3:39 pm

When I’m sick and not sure to workout, I consider two things, first the above the neck below the neck rule. This is good at helping me determine if working out will worsen my illness. The other way I check is where my level of fatigue is at…is it just long day tired or am I too run down to lift a finger? That’s my go-to method. Hope you feel better!!!

20 Megan (Braise The Roof) September 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Haha, you and your pumpkin. :) I hope you start feeling better soon, my dear!
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..The Family that Roasts Together

21 Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies September 7, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Wow, this is a really timely post considering I have been sick since Friday! Boo! :( Typically, I avoid working out for the first two or three days of a cold (depending on how bad it is.) This time, I’ve skipped a whole week of working out BUT it is because I’ve been so busy with work and a side student organization (that I’m the President of). Between work and this student group, I’ve literally been doing something every single day. Before I got sick, I spent two days packing and moving from one apartment into another, which I think contributed to the severity of my cold.
So long story short, I’m taking a week off from working out because I don’t want to exacerbate my illness. If it were just a typical short cold and I was in my “regular” routine, I’d only take off 2-3 days because I know working out is supposed to be okay for colds.
Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies recently posted..Recipes and moving– oh my!

22 Ari @ Ari's Menu September 7, 2011 at 4:15 pm

How is PB2? I always look at that one and the better than pb one, but I love regular nut butters so much, I’m afraid to be disappointed. It looks just like the real stuff in your pictures!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..The tale of the bad bodyworks teacher

23 Courtney September 7, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I love it on top of oats/buckwheat or mixed into yogurt but it’s not a favorite to put in a sandwich. Either way, it’s totally worth trying out, in my opinion :)

24 Allison September 7, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I am so using your recipe substitutions for cornbread! Thanks for sharing!
Allison recently posted..Fall Accents

25 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Ahhh, I can’t wait until I put pumpkin back into my breakfasts. I just need to buy some first!

I used to not rest when I was sick..and it only made it worse. So now, if it’s more than the sniffles, I rest. No matter what.
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Oh, you give me butterflies

26 Amy September 7, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I want to order the buckwheat from iherb. What else do u get from there Courtney? Do they carry the Love grown granola? I want to get that too.
I listen to my body when I’m not feeling good now and take it easy. Something I used to not do. I find if I just take a break and get lots of liquids and fruits and veggies I get better quicker.

27 Courtney September 7, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I don’t think they carry Love Grown granola, but some of my favorites to buy from there are:
-chia seeds
-buckwheat
-PB2
-various baking products from Bob’s Red Mill (i.e., yeast, wheat germ, flaxseeds)
They have a TON of stuff if you browse through the site! :)

28 Lindsay September 7, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Every Rob’s Red Mill project you could imagine is sold at Ocean State Job Lot in Westgate Plaza on Central Ave in Albany. Just figured i’d share…no idea if you’re interested.

29 Yolie @ Practising Wellness September 7, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Mmm…your lunch looks delicous to me! So vibrant and full of veggies…and honey butter?! Oh my goodness that must have been so good! I love how colourful you meals and this whole post is actually, and all your eats are making me crave your cooking, lol! Hope you feel better soon! <3 xyx
PS: I just listen to my body – if I'm feeling exhausted and achy all over I skip working out, but if I've just got asniffle or a sore throat or something I usually hit like to work up a sweat. Just depends on how I feel :-) Health comes first!
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..wiaw : new home, same habits

30 Stephanie September 7, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Hi Courtney! I have been following your blog for a while now but have not yet left you a comment since I am completely new to blogging. I just wanted to say I love your posts and all your yummy eats!

Your lunch combination looks so tasty! I have yet to try Love Grown Foods granola, but since everyone seems to rave about it, I must get some for myself! :P

31 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 7, 2011 at 5:45 pm

If a workout seems like torture when I’m sick I nix it. If I’m craving it b/c I’ve been sick for awhile and need to move, I’ll do it!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..A progressive decline

32 Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl September 7, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I use the neck rule. If it’s a cold and I have only head congestion and don’t have a fever, I’ll still run (I PRed a 5K like this!). If I have a lot of chest congestion or feel like absolute death, I’ll sleep it off and take a break from working out. Hope you feel better soon!
Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl recently posted..Home Again

33 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ September 7, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I love that you are welcoming pumpkin with open arms!!! i am a huge pumpkin lover and am usually anxiously awaiting fall so I can bust open a can! Your oats look awesome. feel better soon!!!
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ recently posted..What I Ate, And Intend to Eat, Wednesday!

34 Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries September 7, 2011 at 7:32 pm

When I’m sick, I usually take a day off if my head is throbbing. When I have a headache, there’s NO WAY I could run on the treadmill or lift weights. Useless.
Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries recently posted..WIAW!!!

35 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy September 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I love pumpkin in the fall! Just this morning I made pumpkin oatmeal!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..A Day of Firsts

36 Kait September 7, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I’ve been fighting a sore throat this week. Today I woke and felt worse than yesterday. I decided to go to the gym yesterday and see how I would do at Zumba class. I’m thankful I worked out, but it made me feel worse because I probably over-exerted my sick body. Tomorrow I will listen to my body and take the day off (unless I feel better in the morning). I guess judge whether or not I work out based on the condition of my head. If my head starts to throb because of my workout, then I figure it’s not worth it. Hope you feel better soon!
Kait recently posted..7 days into September Already?!

37 Khushboo September 8, 2011 at 1:28 am

Defo good call on taking the day off. I used to always feel bad about skipping a workout when I was ill but I realised that it is actually better to rest! Exercise should leave you feeling full of life and chances are expending too much energy when your stuck will further drain u! Also I have no doubt your lunch tasted delicious- I convinced that the uglier the food, the better it tastes (oatmeal and split pea soup to name a few!!)
Khushboo recently posted..5 things

38 Pamela September 8, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Just bought my first order of Bob’s Red Mill Creamy Buckwheat cereal with the discount code. Thanks! Look forward to trying the pumpkin bowl!

39 Courtney September 8, 2011 at 4:42 pm

YAY! I hope you love it as much as I do! :)