Hello, Sunshine

by Courtney on September 9, 2011

I almost can’t believe it…after what seems like weeks of incessant rain and dreary weather, the sun is actually making an appearance today.

Yes, I am excited about fall, but I’m also more than excited to finally see some rays of sunshine making their way through my windows. They do a pretty nice job of highlighting my festive fall decorations…and my delicious mid-day smoothie bowl.

Today’s smoothie bowl is actually my Blueberry-Banana smoothie, which I made with a couple extra ice cubes and an extra pinch of xanthan gum to up the thickness.

Then, I topped it off with two of my favorites: Quaker Oatmeal Squares + Love Grown Foods Cocoa Goodness Granola.

Pure deliciousness.

*****

A couple quick things:

• <—You may or may not have noticed that I recently changed my Featured Recipes over to the left here. With the fall season approaching, I figured I’d highlight some of my favorite fall baked goods. Feel free to give one (or all!) of ‘em a whirl!
  • I have a new recipe up on Celebrations.comEerie and Easy Deviled Egg Eyeballs. Be sure to check those puppies out!
  • Jay and I are heading out to Happy Hour tonight, followed by an evening with friends (including the Newlyweds!)…it’s sure to be a great evening!

Hope everyone else is having a great day and is ready to enjoy the weekend!

Question for the Afternoon:

Any good plans for the weekend?

1 Stacy September 9, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I’m pretty sure we hit our rain quota for wellllll into next year. It seemed like it was never ending!!!!!

Anyway, love the blog! Glad I came across it!! =)

2 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life September 9, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I’m so happy the sun is back too! I was getting cabin fever from being cooped up in the house with my little guy.

Enjoy happy hour!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Pre-Birthday Pancakes

3 Ericka Andersen September 9, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Okay so I’ve been wondering this since I began reading blogs earlier this year. I think it’s so funny how everyone eats smoothie bowls instead of just drinking smoothies. Is it kind of like eating gazpacho? I still haven’t tried it but I keep seeing these amazing combos and well, I’m definitely going to have to do it soon. Plus, I need to get me some xantham gum that you guys are always talking about! I’m guessing that’s just at nutrition stores…I’d never even heard of it till recently!
Ericka Andersen recently posted..A Grand, Old, Beautiful Time

4 Courtney September 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I actually usually just drink the smoothie, but today I wanted to be able to put some cereal on top, so I went with the bowl.
To me, it actually sort of reminds me of slightly melted ice cream, if that makes sense? I mean, anything that reminds me of ice cream is A-ok in my book! ;)

5 Kierston September 9, 2011 at 4:01 pm

When I eat it in a bowl, I call it the Soft Ice Cream Protein Bowl :) I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks that way!
Kierston recently posted..Snap. Crackle. Shoot!

6 Khushboo September 9, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I definitely feel you about the sunshine- it’s exactly how I’m feeling after 3 months of solid rain in Mumbai (thankfully I escaped all of July)! Sunshine alone is such a mood-booster, I’m literally bouncing out of bed when there’s natural daylight!
Khushboo recently posted..Brown paper bag: week 4

7 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries September 9, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I live right down the road from UCF so my family and I are tailgating and going to the UCF vs. Boston College game! Then Sunday I’m going out on the boat (because trust me, we can’t get enough sun [and heat!] down here in Florida!!) :) Have a great weekend Courtney!
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Through the Years: Sophomore Struggles

8 Danielle September 9, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I’m off to a Diamondbacks game this weekend with my family! Looking forward to so good ballpark food. ;)
Also, I’d be more than happy to share some of our constant sunshine here in Arizona if you share some of your rain. I can’t remember the last time we got a good downpour!
Danielle recently posted..I Need A Little Change…

9 Ari @ Ari's Menu September 9, 2011 at 11:57 pm

We got a light sprinkling today! It was like the best 5 minutes of my week! :O)
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Super Hero Thursday

10 Danielle September 10, 2011 at 12:29 am

I noticed that my windshield was dirty after work. If only I actually got to see those 5 minutes of rain! haha
Danielle recently posted..Late Picking Up The Kids

11 Shanna, Like Banana September 9, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Ooo I’ve got tons of little (but fun) plans on deck: movie tonight, mani/pedi tomorrow, deep dish pizza with friends tomorrow night…annnnd, probably some shopping in there too ;)
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..Pregnancy weight gain and photos

12 Hope September 9, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I am SO happy to see the sun again! It seems like forever since there has been a nice day lately. I am so sick of the rain! With all of this rain, I’m afraid for what the winter holds!

Have fun tonight! Sounds like a fun weekend! :)
Hope recently posted..Hungry Girl’s BLT Mac ‘n Cheese…

13 Brittany September 9, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I just had a smoothie bowl myself :D Those recipes look awesome, I definitely want to try ALL of them. Have a great night, sounds fun!
Brittany recently posted..It’s About Time

14 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 9, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Lovin’ the fall featured recipes :D
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Vegetable White Bean Soup

15 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 9, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Nothing too exciting going on, but I am planning on breaking out MY fall decorations tomorrow! :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..7 Things

16 Ruthie Hart September 9, 2011 at 3:19 pm

send that rain down here! I have been seeing frightening news coverage of the flooding up there by you guys :-( glad you are okay! And those deviled eggs are sooo cute!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Accent Vlogs

17 Heather @ Girlyeverafter September 9, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I put up my fall decorations too. The cool weather in ATL is so nice and such a great change from 95+. I’m hoping it doesn’t go away anythime soon. This is perfect hiking weather;)
Heather @ Girlyeverafter recently posted..The Root of the Issue

18 Kierston September 9, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Love the twist on the smoothie bowl! Never thought of adding the oatmeal on top (I usually blend it all together!). Adding a crunchy cereal to it is an even better idea (Go Lean Crunch here I come!). All to say, it looks delish! Weekend plans include buying new running shoes and running in them. Makes sense…I think ;)
Kierston recently posted..Snap. Crackle. Shoot!

19 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled September 9, 2011 at 4:10 pm

What a beautiful day! It’s the best when the sun is shining like that, but the weather is a little cooler. I’m looking forward to wearing boots again!

I love eating my smoothie out of a giant cup or bowl. It just seems way more decadent and eat it way slower.
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..18 Miler Done, Even With a Mental Wall

20 Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 9, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Aww I love your fall decorations! I guess now that I’m a wifey, I should be decorating our house based on the seasons??!!

For the weekend, no major plans. Just taking husband’s grandma out for her birthday. Other than that, probably watching lots of football!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Healthy Tortilla Soup

21 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 9, 2011 at 9:55 pm

You must have stolen all my sunny weather – it was all rainy here today!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday… version 4.0