Crafty Chalkboard Paint Ideas

by Courtney on September 10, 2011

Over the years, I’ve gone through a lot of phases when it comes to being crafty. Sometimes, I can’t get enough of it; sometimes, I want nothing to do it. I have quite a few friends who are very crafty, and they always seem to be coming up with something cute and savvy, which makes me wish I did it more.

Sigh.

So recently, I’ve actually started trying to think up some fun DIY projects to do in the house that would a) be quick and easy, and b) cheap. Then, the other day, I found these…chalkboard paint ideas!

I know this is nothing new, and many of you have maybe even used it, but I mean really, how cute are these!? Especially for the teachers out there…there’s so many possibilities.

And better yet, all you need is chalkboard paint and a brush (or even easier go for the spray paint).

You can definitely use these as starter ideas, but from what I can tell, all you have to do is start with a nice clean surface. If you’re doing placemats, just make sure they’re vinyl and you’re good to go. I think these would be so fun not only for little kiddos, but also for big kiddos (like me) who might be able to use them in some photos here on the ‘ol blog, too.

I think that as soon as I get my act together, I might start off with these cute terracotta planters.

Seriously, I love them! I’ve been wanting to grow some herbs of my own for a while now, but…umm…tend to be a little lazy. I’m hoping that if I actually take the time to beautify some planters like these, then I’ll be more motivated to actually grow (and take care of) the herbs. This morning I’m headed quick to the Farmers Market, so hopefully I’ll be able to find some (if they’re even still around at this time of year??)

You can easily purchase the chalkboard paint anywhere – I initially stumbled upon these ideas on Factory Direct Craft but you can always check your local art stores or your other favorite online retailers in the craft supplies section!

Gotta run…I’ll be back a little later with a little morning recap. Smile

Questions for the Morning:

Do you consider yourself “crafty?”

Have you ever tried (or would you ever try) using chalkboard paint?

1 Sweet and Savvy September 10, 2011 at 9:22 am

Those are SUCH cute ideas! I have always wanted to try playing with chalkboard paint. :)
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..It’s okay if…

2 Steph @ A Hungry Bookworm September 10, 2011 at 9:25 am

I love the little herb pots, so cute!
Steph @ A Hungry Bookworm recently posted..De-Stressing

3 Lindsey September 10, 2011 at 9:29 am

I love crafts! But with my patience levels sometimes I am not the best at them. Pinterest has made me excited for winter so I can stay inside and test my craft skills more ;) haha
I haven’t used chalkboard paint but the ideas look too cute not to try now!
Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday

4 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 10, 2011 at 9:31 am

I would definitely not consider myself crafty… I wish I was, but I’ve tried numerous times, and it’s just not happenin’. I’ll scrapbook, and I can COPY other people’s projects (kind of), but creating my own stuff is just not my thing. Good luck on your outing this morning! Those herb pots are adorable!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Trail Mix Cookies

5 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign September 10, 2011 at 9:32 am

I love crafting but often find myself with a lack of patience for it. I wish I enjoyed it more–crafting is great for gifts and home decor.

I love the idea of chalkboard paint–one of my friends painted her fridge with it and can now write all over it! Coolest thing ever.

6 Courtney September 10, 2011 at 10:23 am

That is AWESOME!

7 Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 10, 2011 at 9:53 am

I love this! I’m not crafty at all but I really want to be!
Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..Pork and Peppers Risotto

8 Jen September 10, 2011 at 10:10 am

I can be crafty when I want to be, but I don’t really apply myself to crafts like I did when I was younger. I should, because crafts are really fun! I can totally see myself buying chalkboard paint, and then having a black wall in my living room a few hours later…

9 christina cadden September 10, 2011 at 10:13 am

Love the craft ideas!!!
christina cadden recently posted..First Week Back

10 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 10, 2011 at 10:14 am

Those pots are super cute. I’m pretty much the exact opposite of crafty but I think it looks super cute when others do it! ;)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pumpkin banana chocolate chip bread

11 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 10, 2011 at 10:17 am

When I was in high school I had a secret desire to paint one of the walls in my room with chalkboard chalk! Aw, who am I kidding.. I still do :D
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Fruity Cereal Intervention

12 Maria@La_Piattini September 10, 2011 at 10:30 am

Ooo I love this idea- especially the pots with the herbs growing!
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..Spread Love

13 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 10, 2011 at 10:38 am

I like to do crafts, but only if they’re easy! When things get too complex, I get frustrated!

14 Shayla @ The Good Life September 10, 2011 at 10:42 am

I wish I was more crafty than I am!! I can be when I put a lot of time and effort into it, it just doesn’t come naturally and easy to me like it does to some people.

And being left handed I feel that I should be! I somehow missed out on the left-handed creative gene ;)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Stop Trying To Be…

15 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries September 10, 2011 at 10:57 am

I used to have an obsession with chalkboard paint! Once I went to my friends house and saw that she had painted one of her walls completely with chalkboard paint and let her friends sign it and color on it. I was in love, I HAD to have it. Sadly, my mom wouldn’t let me paint one of my walls black (I’ll thank her later) but I always loved drawing on chalkboards :)
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Through the Years: Sophomore Struggles

16 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer September 10, 2011 at 10:58 am

The placemats, what a cute idea!
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..I Know it’s Silly…

17 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) September 10, 2011 at 11:40 am

I love the pots with the chalkboard! So cute :)

18 Jess @ Jess Go Bananas September 10, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I would consider myself crafty-ish…I am crafty when I want to be :)
Jess @ Jess Go Bananas recently posted..Fortune Friday Part 3

19 Ari @ Ari's Menu September 10, 2011 at 12:31 pm

That looks SO fun! I’ve always wished I was crafty, but I’m kind of visual art inept. I stick to theatre to get out my creative juices. But this would be super fun to do regardless of how it came out looking–I still definitely enjoy the process :O)
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Penny Rae Vintage

20 Kerryne September 10, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I have two VERY crafty sisters… I did not inherit that gene. I do however LOVE the potted plants idea and what harm could I do with a paintbrush???!!!??? Actually my sister painted an ENTIRE wall in her son’s bedroom with the chalkboard paint, and another wall with the dry erase marker paint (I am sure it has an actual name) and her son LOVES it, he gets to draw all over his walls. Too fun!

21 Lindsay@bikingbeforebed September 10, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I definitely go through crafty phases. They normally coincide with holidays. Last Christmas I went through an ornament making frenzy. I’ve never used chalkboard paint but it looks like there are endless possibilities!
Lindsay@bikingbeforebed recently posted..Very Berry Stuffed French Toast

22 debbie (accidently delish) September 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm

i like to think im crafty, i sure do try! i’ve made a few home made cards that turned out decent, i actually just saw a chalkboard idea i wanted to do as well! it’s so cute!

i tried to grow my own herbs and failed miserably!! they died very quickly. but i also live in 115 degree weather. might have had something to do with it ;) that or i just kill things. haha.
debbie (accidently delish) recently posted..By: Tori (Fresh Fruition)

23 Khushboo September 10, 2011 at 2:23 pm

This reminded me of roadside hop-skotch!
Khushboo recently posted..Best salad ever!

24 Alanna September 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I love chalkboard paint! I did one of my walls with it in a house I lived it, its great to keep track of things, make lists…and friends love to draw on it. At least mine did.

I consider myself crafty when I feel like it. I go through phases of it as well.

25 Jordan September 10, 2011 at 2:51 pm

oh my gosh those pots are sooo cute! i am totally creatively challenged when it comes to crafts!

26 Samantha September 10, 2011 at 3:35 pm

How cute! I’ve never tried chalkboard paint, I’ve never even heard of it!

I love crafts – scrapbooking, framing, decorating, etc… it’s so fun!
Samantha recently posted..The Invevitable Burnout

27 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 10, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I love that! I thought about painting my wall with chalkboard just so I could change the wallpaper whenever I wanted. :P
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Clarinets kick brass

28 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" September 10, 2011 at 5:49 pm

I am the opposite of crafty but I am creative. Usually my best ideas are brought to life on the computer screen :-)

I think the chalkboard paint is adorable though and I wold totally use it!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..Everyone Loves a Good Comeback

29 Lizzie September 10, 2011 at 6:12 pm

love the idea! sooo cute!!!!!!
Lizzie recently posted..You give me butterflies!

30 Heather September 10, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Your blog inspired me to make a fall wreath the other day – keep the crafty ideas coming
Heather recently posted..The Obesity Solution?

31 Kait @ One Love Run September 10, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I’m not crafty at all, but my mom is the craftiest person I know, so I hope someday that gene will wear off on me!! Those planters are super cute though!
Kait @ One Love Run recently posted..Blackout x 2

32 erica September 10, 2011 at 7:24 pm

i WISH i was crafty, but i’m SO not. lol
i see a lot of cute chalkboard stuff, but again, i don’t even attempt it because all my crafty attempts end in big failures! LOL
erica recently posted..wedding week recap: family festivities

33 Katie @ Plates and Paste September 10, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Yes, part of my blog is about my adventures in crafts :) I just made coasters last week! I would love to try chalkboard paint sometime…a coworker at work painted a wall in his office with that stuff…so cool!
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Fashion’s Night Out

34 kristen September 10, 2011 at 11:27 pm

love the plants! so cute!

35 OntarioGirl September 11, 2011 at 7:50 am

I’m the same, I have TONS of cute craft ideas I want to try and I used to be SO crafty when I was younger but now it’s finding the motivation to do these craft ideas lately. Love those herb pots!
You’ve just inspired me to do something crafty today :)

36 Doris May 8, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.
Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently fast.
Doris recently posted..Doris

37 Madeline November 5, 2013 at 8:33 am

Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum
it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your
blog. I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to everything.
Do you have any helpful hints for beginner blog writers?
I’d definitely appreciate it.
Madeline recently posted..Madeline