Snacks and Studying at Starbucks

by Courtney on September 13, 2011

Lately, I’ve found my productivity dwindling a bit at home. Some days, I’m totally fine with staying inside and getting my studying done. Other days, I find it nearly impossible to actually sit down and get anything accomplished; I’m going down to switch the laundry, finding myself in the kitchen wanting to bake, or playing fetch with Cody.

Well, today felt like one of those days where I wasn’t going to get much accomplished at home…so I packed it all up and headed out to Starbucks.

Since my decision to head out was sort of last minute, I quickly grabbed some snacks to bring with me so I wouldn’t go hungry. I had my promised piece of banana raisin pumpkin bread before leaving the house, and plan on spacing out the rest of my snacks as I see fit.

(**By the way, I was told that the link for my Raspberry Almond smoothie from this morning was incorrect, so it’s since been fixed. Sorry about that!**)

Baby carrots + grape tomatoes + a golden delicious apple

An odwalla Dark Chocolate Chip Walnut bar that I had left from my HLS swag bag.

I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about the bar, since walnuts are probably my least favorite nut out there, but it’s actually amazingly delicious. The walnuts are ground up pretty fine and the flavor is really, really great.

I’m currently snacking on the bar and sipping on my iced coffee (just plain, no pumpkin today…it’s too warm out) while getting ready to watch some study videos.

And then I’ll be going back to the flash cards, which are probably my favorite way to study. The actual process of re-writing the material has always helped me hold the information better, and I just really enjoy studying from cards rather than a whole page of notes.

I’m a very visual learner and will often recall information as I remember how it looked written (either on a card, on a page of notes, etc.). I’m almost sort of wishing my head was a little bigger right now to hold all of this information… Winking smile

Luckily, I’ve also got another little treat to “fuel” me through my afternoon study session…orange tic tacs!

Yes, that right there is what you’d call a “standing in line at Staples for too long and falling victim to the candy shelf” purchase. (Hey, at least I didn’t buy the 100 Grand that was staring me back in the face.) I’d always been a fan of orange tic tacs growing up, but I can’t even tell you when the last time was that I had them. I love how the orange ones are slightly chewy, unlike the rest of them. Mmmmm, they’re so good!

Ok, enough stalling…time to watch my videos. Smile

Questions for the Afternoon:

What kind of learner are you (visual, hands-on, auditory, etc.)?

What are some of your most successful study tips?

What’s your favorite tic tac flavor?

1 Brittany September 13, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Sometimes I can’t study at home for the life of me either! Like right now :)

I’m mostly a hands-on learner. I like to do the work in order to memorize it. Like in math, I only really learn a problem once I work it out myself a couple of times. I’m definitely visual as well.

The only way I can study is with index cards. I re-write all my notes and then memorize those. If you get someone to study you, that’s even better!

I haven’t had tic tacs in AGES but I think I’ve always liked the orange and white.

2 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life September 13, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I also benefit from rewriting things while studying. I feel like I can almost look back to the materials on the test in my head.

My most successful study tip is staying focused and actually getting through the material. So often I find myself zone out while reading and find that I’ve gone two pages and I don’t even know what I read.

Wintergreen tic tacs are my fav!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Boston Birthday

3 Lauren @ Healthy Delicious September 13, 2011 at 1:51 pm

orange tic tacs are the best!!

I’m a visual learner too – love flash cards.
Lauren @ Healthy Delicious recently posted..Gingersnap S’mores from The Cookiepedia

4 Kathryn September 13, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I’m a visual and hands-on learning. Most of the time in school, so long as I took good notes, I was good to go on the info. Writing it down helps it stick in my mind. Also, if I’m shown how to do something, it helps it stick. Good luck, hope today’s studying goes a bit better!

5 Claire September 13, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Hands-on learner for sure! Best way to make associations is to involve as many sources of stimuli as possible (case in point: songs that remind you of scent of your ex boyfriend, what year you were in during high school when it came out, and what you were wearing haha). I love the orange tic tacs too :-)
Claire recently posted..Pumpkin For Me

6 Cara @ EAT.PRAY.RUN. September 13, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I’m on west coast time and seeing your starbucks iced coffee is making me crave my 2:30 pm habit quite badly! Starbucks coffee = crack. It’s ridiculous ;) Anywho, good luck with the studying – you make me miss being in school – and i’m totally inspired by your ambition to change your career and live your life to the fullest!

7 Brittany September 13, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I’m behind on my blog reading and just now realized your studying to be a personal trainer. That’s so awesome!!

Also, I think I need a piece of that banana raisin pumpkin bread. :)
Brittany recently posted..Tips for Your First Yoga Class and Free Yoga in RVA

8 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Yes! I’m super excited :-D

9 e@thisnotedlife September 13, 2011 at 1:57 pm

so funny that you asked the “what learner are you” question today .. i have that very post written for tomrorow :) :) must be the fall/beginning of a school year (or whatever seeing we’re done with school) mentality!

10 Faith September 13, 2011 at 2:00 pm

After graduating w/ a BS in pre-medicine and a MS in psychology/counseling I know a thing or two about studying. Whew. One of my best study habits was to have light classical music on whenever I studied. It was like my brain would immediately kick in gear and the studying was exponentially more productive than without.
Good luck! I’m sure you’ll do great!!
Faith recently posted..Legs and Lunch

11 Lindsey September 13, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I am a visual learner too, and always used flash cards in University! They were my favorite way to study for sure.
Orange Tic Tacs are the BEST! If I buy a pack its gone in a day for sure :)
Lindsey recently posted..I Love Birthdays

12 Yolie @ Practising Wellness September 13, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I definitely learn from writing things down. Over and over and over again. That is how I studied in school, and for my yoga teacher training – when we had to learn anatomy and posture names in sanskrit etc. The repetition, and the visuals, really help me learn :-) I often listen to yoga classes on my ipod too, because it kind of sinks into my brain and comes back to me when I am teaching – like key phrases, alignment cues etc.
I find it hard to study at home some days too – other days I can sit and learn for hours and hours and be so focused! Looks like you had the right idea, heading to starbucks. Good on you! Good luck with the book-learning! :-) xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..jumping for joy!

13 Kristin Mac September 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Mmm I can’t wait to make the Raspberry Almond Smoothie for myself, it sounds so good!

My best learning tip is definitely to unplug. If I don’t leave my phone (and laptop if I’m not using it to study) in the other room, then I’ll most likely get nothing accomplished!

Good luck with your studies today :)

14 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 13, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I love the light green tic tacs! orange are a close second, though. I inhale them too quickly.

and I’m a HUGE hands-on/visual learner. when I studied, I would re-write my outlines over and over, condensing them more and more each time I re-wrote.

gosh, you don’t make me miss studying. ;)
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..For a Rough Day [Part 2]

15 Shayla @ The Good Life September 13, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Ha I love this!! I thought I was weird for loving the orange Tic Tacs for their chewiness and giggled when I read that’s why you love ‘em too! So to answer your question, orange is by far my fav Tic Tac flavor :)

And I am such a visual and hands on learner…also when explaining/teaching things to people too. Whenever I’m trying to teach someone something at work, I always have to do it visually!

Gosh I haven’t studied in forever…in 5 years since college! But what worked for me was definitely writing notes down like you’re doing…writing it out always helped it stick in my head better :)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..A Week Of Rest, Enjoy The Ride, & An Epic Smoothie

16 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled September 13, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I’ve always been a visual learner. I need to see how something works or need to write it down in my own handwriting to remember it.

I think that if they could write text books as if they were novels, I’d remember things better. It sure would make math more interesting!
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..Phoney Funny Business

17 Melissa September 13, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I LOVE making flashcards–re-writing it definitely helps me remember! I used to punch holes in mine and then put them on a binder ring to keep them all together. I am kind of nerdy in that I love making study stuff like that. :)

I am totally a visual learner. I need to see things laid out in front of me. If something is auditory only, I won’t get it. No way, no how!
Melissa recently posted..House Hunters—Blog Edition!

18 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat September 13, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Starbucks was my go-to place to study for my RD exam. Somehow the hustle and bustle of a coffee shop made me focus! I learn best from repetition – I rewrote the notes that I thought were most important over and over, and on flashcards.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Pumpkin Mania

19 Megan September 13, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I loved the orange Tic-Tacs too! But I must admit – I have a new favorite. Have you seen the cherry ones? They are bigger – but yummy! :)
Megan recently posted..Fall Is (Almost) Here

20 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Ummm, I have NOT tried these yet…I need to find them ASAP!

21 Nicole @ PancakesandPilates September 13, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I’m so excited for your decision to pursue your passion :) I could never study anywhere but the library, lucky!

I am definitely a learner who must force myself to focus and “do” as much as possible. So, I print things out, I break reading into smaller chunks and I watch videos ect. as mush as possible. Unfortunately, there aren’t a lot of legal videos. LOL. I would make lots of little mini stories and diagrams to help play out the concept.

Good luck!
Nicole @ PancakesandPilates recently posted..Meet the Family

22 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 13, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Ewwww, orange are my least fav :-P haha tic tacs have to be of the minty variety for me to like them.
I’m a visual learner like you. I can remember taking tests in school and literally recalling exactly where a certain piece of information was on a sheet of notes when answering a question.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Crispy shallot brussel sprouts & giveaway winner!

23 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl September 13, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I’m definitely a hands-on learner. Like you, sometimes I just need to get out of the house to do my best studying. Too many temptations.

PS – how do you not eat all of those snacks at once? That is my problem. Whenever I pack snacks for a Starbucks trip (to avoid wasting money there like you), I always eat all my snacks right away. Thus, I end up having to spend money if I am in it for the long haul!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Cupcake Mondays – Stuff It!

24 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I guess it’s one of the things I’m good at disciplining myself at, haha! :)

25 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! September 13, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Oo for studying I was always the weird one in school that would have much rather had a packet full of worksheets to fill out than do lab work (hands on). When Im studying I find taking notes is best for me because if i write it down I am most likely to remember it.
Andrea @ Andrea out loud! recently posted..Let’s Talk About Meal Planning

26 Amy B @ Second City Randomness September 13, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Odwalla and I go way back. My friend introduced me to them in college about 5 or 6 years ago. They’re soooo addictive! And much less sugary than, say, Clif (although I’m totally down with Clif, too!).
Amy B @ Second City Randomness recently posted..Trickster Cookies

27 Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life September 13, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Orange tic tacs all the way! I find the best way for me to study is using flash cards. While I was studying for my PT cert, I had CDs that went over a lot of the material that I would listen to over and over again in my car. Those really helped me!
Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life recently posted..Workout of the Week- Arms

28 Danielle September 13, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I love that flavor of odwalla bar! It’s really filling too!
For an engineering major, I deal with a lot of equations and numbers. I found it best to do a lot of problems over and over again until I feel comfortable that I’ll know what to do when presented with similar problems on exams!
Danielle recently posted..Creeper Plant

29 Faith @ For the Health of It September 13, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I’m totally a hands-on learner. If I can do something, I’ll remember it much better than if I just hear or see it.

And don’t even get me started on tic-tacs – the spearmint ones used to be my all time favorite candy until the geniuses decided to discontinue them…I bought up every box that I could but they are long gone.
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Lost in the Game

30 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I’m a very visual learner as well. I was thankful for the DVD and numerous photos in the NASM book to help me through it. The biggest thing that helps me to be successful in my studying is BREAKS! I cannot sit still and get ansty quite easily, so I always make sure I take a break every half hour or so. It keeps my mind fresh and focused. Good luck on your studying! :)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Dessert EVERY Day of the Week!

31 Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly September 13, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Orange tic-tacs are the best because once you suck on them for a bit, you can add a whole level to it by chewing them! The other flavored tic tacs aren’t chewy like the orange ones are!
Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly recently posted..Dog Beach Adventures & Missing Teenager

32 Hope September 13, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I’m most definitely a visual learner. I would take notes all the time when studying for a test. It really helps.

Wintergreen tic tacs are awesome! :)
Hope recently posted..A Repeat Offender…

33 Char September 13, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I’m a very visual learner also!! Someone will say something and to try and think about it and remember, I’ll be like, “yah, I remember, it was halfway down the page.” I also love studying with colours – getting a whole colour system down worked well for me too. I’ve only tried flash cards once, and they worked pretty well too!! Good luck with studying – but now I want an iced coffee lol
Char recently posted..my school must haves + goals

34 Patty September 13, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I’m a visual learner as well so flash cards are key. Lots of doodles, charts and catchy sayings help me remember things. When I come across info I just cant seem retain I find explaining the information to someone else helps it stick as well.

35 Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 13, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Love Odwalla bars! My college used to carry them and I would buy them all the time. I swear half my dining money was spent solely on them, lol. If you find them anywhere else try the mocha one. It is out of this world!!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Gorgonzola and Cherry Tomato Pizzettes

36 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Yum! I’ll definitely keep my eyes peeled for it ;)

37 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 13, 2011 at 4:49 pm

It is amazing what a change in atmosphere will do for studying!!! I like to get some fresh air or quick walk in so I can focus again and that usually does the trick!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Fun Facts!

38 Jodi September 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Sometimes home is just too…comfortable to study. That Odwalla bar looks delicious.

I wonder why Starbucks iced coffee always tastes so much better to me than the iced coffee I make at home?
Jodi recently posted..Playing with Guns

39 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign September 13, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I completely forgot about orange tic tacos! I used to love those–and chomped them like candy rather than savoring them like mints!
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Minnesota Has 4 Seasons (Random Photo Dump)

40 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 13, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I’m definitely a hands-on learner. I hardly ever *really* get things until after lab and being able to mess with it myself- whether it be through dissecting or playing with currents.

Orange tic-tacs all the way!!!!!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Pain, pain, go away.

41 nicole @ simply Nicole September 13, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I am definitely a visual learner as well. If something looks sloppy in my notebook, I have to rip out that page. haha oh well.
nicole @ simply Nicole recently posted..Favorite Foods at the Moment

42 Jen September 13, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I made a boatload of flashcards when I studied for NASM. Trust me, you’re not going to need to know as much as you think for taking the test! Don’t let me be a downer on studying though, hehe. It’s valid information, regardless of whether or not it’s on the test. It’s a great book!

As for tic tacs, I haven’t had any since I was a kid…but orange all the way, baby! I used to be able to eat a pack at a time!

43 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 7:15 pm

How about all of the muscles in chapter 4? What should I try to remember for those?? :)

44 Lindsay @ biking before bed September 13, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I am a completely visual learner. I always make flash cards. I normally cut the index cards into quarters so I can keep some in my pocket… Or cuz I’m cheP and don’t want to buy more index cards:) I also am a fan of the good old write it down over and over until it sticks. My least favorite way to study is in groups. And I love the orange tic tacos… Probably because they are the most like candy.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Feliz Cumpliaños a mi madre

45 Pamela September 13, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I LOVE studying at Starbucks. I survived grad school by studying at coffee shops and bookstores because I get even more distracted at home! I am also like you in that I have to study with flash cards. I have hundreds of index cards from the past 2 years of PA school! Good luck studying. :)

46 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 7:15 pm

FYI – I think you’ll like the post I just put up for this evening :)

47 Molly September 13, 2011 at 11:11 pm

i’m a huge fan of the “original” flavor!
Molly recently posted..Sometimes I just feel bad for my parents…

48 Khushboo September 14, 2011 at 2:03 am

I’m a very visual learner too, almost to the point that I sometimes wonder whether I have a photogenic memory! Re-writing information was definitely helpful during exam/revision time! Hope you got a lot done!
Khushboo recently posted..Rain, you are dead to me!

49 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun September 14, 2011 at 10:40 am

Flashcards are a MUST for me. I have made sooooo many.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Blogging: How Much Money I Make & How Does It Happen?

50 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 14, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Rewriting is definitely the best way that I learn. I feel like a nerd for recopying my notes sometimes but it is one of the only things that truly helps me! I also really like using fun colored pens because it can help make studying a bit more tolerable!
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..WIAW #7

51 kristen September 14, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Im defiantly a visual learner and I used about a million flash cards in nursing school!

52 mischa September 23, 2011 at 5:48 am

I’m a visual learner too! We learned in a study skills class that writing in blue and putting a red box around the word helps improve memorization. I usually get lazy and just use blue pen:)

53 Katie @ Plates and Paste September 28, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I’m definitely a visual learner as well!
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Dinner for One