Snacks and Studying at Starbucks

Lately, I’ve found my productivity dwindling a bit at home. Some days, I’m totally fine with staying inside and getting my studying done. Other days, I find it nearly impossible to actually sit down and get anything accomplished; I’m going down to switch the laundry, finding myself in the kitchen wanting to bake, or playing fetch with Cody.

Well, today felt like one of those days where I wasn’t going to get much accomplished at home…so I packed it all up and headed out to Starbucks.

Since my decision to head out was sort of last minute, I quickly grabbed some snacks to bring with me so I wouldn’t go hungry. I had my promised piece of banana raisin pumpkin bread before leaving the house, and plan on spacing out the rest of my snacks as I see fit.

(**By the way, I was told that the link for my Raspberry Almond smoothie from this morning was incorrect, so it’s since been fixed. Sorry about that!**)

Baby carrots + grape tomatoes + a golden delicious apple

An odwalla Dark Chocolate Chip Walnut bar that I had left from my HLS swag bag.

I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about the bar, since walnuts are probably my least favorite nut out there, but it’s actually amazingly delicious. The walnuts are ground up pretty fine and the flavor is really, really great.

I’m currently snacking on the bar and sipping on my iced coffee (just plain, no pumpkin today…it’s too warm out) while getting ready to watch some study videos.

And then I’ll be going back to the flash cards, which are probably my favorite way to study. The actual process of re-writing the material has always helped me hold the information better, and I just really enjoy studying from cards rather than a whole page of notes.

I’m a very visual learner and will often recall information as I remember how it looked written (either on a card, on a page of notes, etc.). I’m almost sort of wishing my head was a little bigger right now to hold all of this information… Winking smile

Luckily, I’ve also got another little treat to “fuel” me through my afternoon study session…orange tic tacs!

Yes, that right there is what you’d call a “standing in line at Staples for too long and falling victim to the candy shelf” purchase. (Hey, at least I didn’t buy the 100 Grand that was staring me back in the face.) I’d always been a fan of orange tic tacs growing up, but I can’t even tell you when the last time was that I had them. I love how the orange ones are slightly chewy, unlike the rest of them. Mmmmm, they’re so good!

Ok, enough stalling…time to watch my videos. Smile

Questions for the Afternoon:

What kind of learner are you (visual, hands-on, auditory, etc.)?

What are some of your most successful study tips?

What’s your favorite tic tac flavor?

Comments

Sometimes I can’t study at home for the life of me either! Like right now :)

I’m mostly a hands-on learner. I like to do the work in order to memorize it. Like in math, I only really learn a problem once I work it out myself a couple of times. I’m definitely visual as well.

The only way I can study is with index cards. I re-write all my notes and then memorize those. If you get someone to study you, that’s even better!

I haven’t had tic tacs in AGES but I think I’ve always liked the orange and white.

I also benefit from rewriting things while studying. I feel like I can almost look back to the materials on the test in my head.

My most successful study tip is staying focused and actually getting through the material. So often I find myself zone out while reading and find that I’ve gone two pages and I don’t even know what I read.

Wintergreen tic tacs are my fav!
    Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Boston Birthday

3. Kathryn says

I’m a visual and hands-on learning. Most of the time in school, so long as I took good notes, I was good to go on the info. Writing it down helps it stick in my mind. Also, if I’m shown how to do something, it helps it stick. Good luck, hope today’s studying goes a bit better!

Hands-on learner for sure! Best way to make associations is to involve as many sources of stimuli as possible (case in point: songs that remind you of scent of your ex boyfriend, what year you were in during high school when it came out, and what you were wearing haha). I love the orange tic tacs too :-)
    Claire recently posted..Pumpkin For Me

I’m on west coast time and seeing your starbucks iced coffee is making me crave my 2:30 pm habit quite badly! Starbucks coffee = crack. It’s ridiculous 😉 Anywho, good luck with the studying – you make me miss being in school – and i’m totally inspired by your ambition to change your career and live your life to the fullest!

so funny that you asked the “what learner are you” question today .. i have that very post written for tomrorow :) :) must be the fall/beginning of a school year (or whatever seeing we’re done with school) mentality!

After graduating w/ a BS in pre-medicine and a MS in psychology/counseling I know a thing or two about studying. Whew. One of my best study habits was to have light classical music on whenever I studied. It was like my brain would immediately kick in gear and the studying was exponentially more productive than without.
    Good luck! I’m sure you’ll do great!!
    Faith recently posted..Legs and Lunch

I definitely learn from writing things down. Over and over and over again. That is how I studied in school, and for my yoga teacher training – when we had to learn anatomy and posture names in sanskrit etc. The repetition, and the visuals, really help me learn :-) I often listen to yoga classes on my ipod too, because it kind of sinks into my brain and comes back to me when I am teaching – like key phrases, alignment cues etc.
    I find it hard to study at home some days too – other days I can sit and learn for hours and hours and be so focused! Looks like you had the right idea, heading to starbucks. Good on you! Good luck with the book-learning! :-) xyx
    Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..jumping for joy!

Mmm I can’t wait to make the Raspberry Almond Smoothie for myself, it sounds so good!

My best learning tip is definitely to unplug. If I don’t leave my phone (and laptop if I’m not using it to study) in the other room, then I’ll most likely get nothing accomplished!

Good luck with your studies today :)

I love the light green tic tacs! orange are a close second, though. I inhale them too quickly.

and I’m a HUGE hands-on/visual learner. when I studied, I would re-write my outlines over and over, condensing them more and more each time I re-wrote.

gosh, you don’t make me miss studying. 😉
    Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..For a Rough Day [Part 2]

Ha I love this!! I thought I was weird for loving the orange Tic Tacs for their chewiness and giggled when I read that’s why you love ’em too! So to answer your question, orange is by far my fav Tic Tac flavor :)

And I am such a visual and hands on learner…also when explaining/teaching things to people too. Whenever I’m trying to teach someone something at work, I always have to do it visually!

Gosh I haven’t studied in forever…in 5 years since college! But what worked for me was definitely writing notes down like you’re doing…writing it out always helped it stick in my head better :)
    Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..A Week Of Rest, Enjoy The Ride, & An Epic Smoothie

I LOVE making flashcards–re-writing it definitely helps me remember! I used to punch holes in mine and then put them on a binder ring to keep them all together. I am kind of nerdy in that I love making study stuff like that. :)

I am totally a visual learner. I need to see things laid out in front of me. If something is auditory only, I won’t get it. No way, no how!
    Melissa recently posted..House Hunters—Blog Edition!

I’m so excited for your decision to pursue your passion :) I could never study anywhere but the library, lucky!

I am definitely a learner who must force myself to focus and “do” as much as possible. So, I print things out, I break reading into smaller chunks and I watch videos ect. as mush as possible. Unfortunately, there aren’t a lot of legal videos. LOL. I would make lots of little mini stories and diagrams to help play out the concept.

Good luck!
    Nicole @ PancakesandPilates recently posted..Meet the Family

I’m definitely a hands-on learner. Like you, sometimes I just need to get out of the house to do my best studying. Too many temptations.

PS – how do you not eat all of those snacks at once? That is my problem. Whenever I pack snacks for a Starbucks trip (to avoid wasting money there like you), I always eat all my snacks right away. Thus, I end up having to spend money if I am in it for the long haul!
    Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Cupcake Mondays – Stuff It!

I love that flavor of odwalla bar! It’s really filling too!
    For an engineering major, I deal with a lot of equations and numbers. I found it best to do a lot of problems over and over again until I feel comfortable that I’ll know what to do when presented with similar problems on exams!
    Danielle recently posted..Creeper Plant

I’m totally a hands-on learner. If I can do something, I’ll remember it much better than if I just hear or see it.

And don’t even get me started on tic-tacs – the spearmint ones used to be my all time favorite candy until the geniuses decided to discontinue them…I bought up every box that I could but they are long gone.
    Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Lost in the Game

I’m a very visual learner as well. I was thankful for the DVD and numerous photos in the NASM book to help me through it. The biggest thing that helps me to be successful in my studying is BREAKS! I cannot sit still and get ansty quite easily, so I always make sure I take a break every half hour or so. It keeps my mind fresh and focused. Good luck on your studying! :)
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Dessert EVERY Day of the Week!

I’m a very visual learner also!! Someone will say something and to try and think about it and remember, I’ll be like, “yah, I remember, it was halfway down the page.” I also love studying with colours – getting a whole colour system down worked well for me too. I’ve only tried flash cards once, and they worked pretty well too!! Good luck with studying – but now I want an iced coffee lol
    Char recently posted..my school must haves + goals

19. Patty says

I’m a visual learner as well so flash cards are key. Lots of doodles, charts and catchy sayings help me remember things. When I come across info I just cant seem retain I find explaining the information to someone else helps it stick as well.

Sometimes home is just too…comfortable to study. That Odwalla bar looks delicious.

I wonder why Starbucks iced coffee always tastes so much better to me than the iced coffee I make at home?
    Jodi recently posted..Playing with Guns

I made a boatload of flashcards when I studied for NASM. Trust me, you’re not going to need to know as much as you think for taking the test! Don’t let me be a downer on studying though, hehe. It’s valid information, regardless of whether or not it’s on the test. It’s a great book!

As for tic tacs, I haven’t had any since I was a kid…but orange all the way, baby! I used to be able to eat a pack at a time!

I am a completely visual learner. I always make flash cards. I normally cut the index cards into quarters so I can keep some in my pocket… Or cuz I’m cheP and don’t want to buy more index cards:) I also am a fan of the good old write it down over and over until it sticks. My least favorite way to study is in groups. And I love the orange tic tacos… Probably because they are the most like candy.
    Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Feliz Cumpliaños a mi madre

23. Pamela says

I LOVE studying at Starbucks. I survived grad school by studying at coffee shops and bookstores because I get even more distracted at home! I am also like you in that I have to study with flash cards. I have hundreds of index cards from the past 2 years of PA school! Good luck studying. :)

Rewriting is definitely the best way that I learn. I feel like a nerd for recopying my notes sometimes but it is one of the only things that truly helps me! I also really like using fun colored pens because it can help make studying a bit more tolerable!
    Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..WIAW #7

I’m a visual learner too! We learned in a study skills class that writing in blue and putting a red box around the word helps improve memorization. I usually get lazy and just use blue pen:)