Food Cravings

by Courtney on September 20, 2011

Food cravings are a funny thing for me. Often times, I’ll get an urge for a particular food, but it’s not quite what I’d call a true craving.

When I get a true craving for something, it hits – and it hits hard – and there’s usually no turning back from it. It’s all I can think about (well, in terms of food, anyway) and I will do just about anything to have it, as long as its possible.

Well, late this afternoon I got a craving for a smoothie bowl. I know it was a true craving because a) it’s all I could think about, and b) I was already chilled to the bone and still craving something ice cold. But hey, when the craving strikes…

I just gotta have it. Smile

Today’s smoothie bowl consisted of:

• 1 frozen banana
  • 6 frozen strawberries
  • 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1 scoop vanilla Sunwarrior
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 big handfuls spinach
  • 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
  • 3 ice cubes
  • Love Grown Foods Cocoa Goodness (<—the very last of it) Sad smile
  • Trader Joe’s Mulitgrain O’s

That bowl was worth every goosebump that is permanently stuck on my body right now.

*****

Before I ended up sitting down for my smoothie, I had already had a snack around noon time of baby carrots + hommus and a small handful of Kashi Pita Crisps.

IMG_8245IMG_8246

I’m still not sure how I feel about the pita crisps. They’re good, but they don’t blow me away. And actually, while we’re on the subject, has anyone noticed the difference in taste with the regular Kashi crackers? They much thinner now than they used to be and almost have sort of a burnt taste to me. Total bummer.

*****

Time to get back to work…and then it’ll be time to get to work on tonight’s dinner.

I will tell you that I am rather excited about what’s on the menu, but you’ll have to wait until tonight to see what it is! Winking smile

Question for the Afternoon:

What’s the last true food craving that you had?

1 Khushboo September 20, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I seem to crave iced coffee after my workout every morning! It tastes so refreshing after getting my sweat on and ironically quenches my thirst in a way water can’t!
Khushboo recently posted..Maggie develops an eating disorder

2 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) September 20, 2011 at 2:06 pm

cravings are CONTAGIOUS! u got me wanting a smoothie! last craving i had was cottage cheese!
Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) recently posted..Pics from the Weekendd!

3 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer September 20, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Unfortunately, my cravings aren’t typically for heathy fare. I usually have to squash those cravings fast!
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Ohhh Man!

4 Mallory @ It's Only Life September 20, 2011 at 2:09 pm

it sounds weird, but I craved fruits/veggies after my weekend of indulgent brownies & pizza! funny how sometimes my body craves healthy foods after too muvh sugar!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Homemade Pizza + Addictive Brownies

5 Kathryn @ Flopoodle September 20, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Yumm! So healthy! I’ve never used xantham gum before, does it just make the smoothies thicker or is there also nutritional benefit?

6 Courtney September 20, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I’m pretty sure it’s just for thickening…at least that’s how I use it. :)

7 Samantha @ Because I Can September 20, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Mine was a southwestern style salad. After you made one a couple weeks ago, I couldn’t stop thinking about it! Even after an intense workout on the treadmill it was still in my brain so I drove straight to the store after my workout to buy the stuff to make one!
Samantha @ Because I Can recently posted..So…what’s next?

8 Courtney September 20, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Oh man…that salad was SO good!! Now I want one…thanks, Samantha. ;)

9 Samantha @ Because I Can September 20, 2011 at 3:16 pm

LOL Mine was wicked good too! I just used up all my extra ingredients last night too…darn it :)
Samantha @ Because I Can recently posted..So…what’s next?

10 Amara September 20, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I feel the same way about the pita chips. They’re just ok…but not something I would buy regularly.

11 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat September 20, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I can’t think of anything you could put on that dough that would not turn out to be delicious. And for $0.99, I always regret not buying 10 at a time!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Plum And Apple Crisp

12 Hope September 20, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I love Trader Joe’s pizza crust. It’s so good! :) The last true craving I had was for ice cream. :) I can’t get enough of that yummy stuff.
Hope recently posted..A Simple Kind Of Night…

13 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count September 20, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I ALWAYS crave something sweet after dinner…it is like my body is programmed for dessert. :( I normally give in…i have a little stash of frozen dark dove chocolate pieces in the freezer…yum!
Taylor @ Crumbs Don’t Count recently posted..WWF: Wrestling With Fur

14 Courtney September 20, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Me too! I just wish I could contain my after dinner sweet to a couple of pieces of chocolate…I usually want an entire ice cream sundae ;)

15 Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites September 20, 2011 at 2:24 pm

LOVE your smoothie bowl! I eat green breakfasts all the time… so energizing!

I haven’t bought Kashi crackers in ages… maybe it was just a bad batch?? That happens more often than you would think with packaged crackers and cookies.

Love Trader Joe’s herbed pizza dough! So yummy.

Speaking of Trader Joe’s I randomally had a craving for that Con Queso cheese dip… I have NEVER had that craving before and can’t remember the last time I had it. But I HAD to have it the other day so I went out of my way to get it …. and I never ended up eating it haha
Sarah @ Sarah’s Modern Bites recently posted..Office Fitness and falling in Love with the North End

16 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 20, 2011 at 2:27 pm

TJ’s doughs are the best, can’t wait to see what you make with it! Latest craving was super typical…chocolate. Sea salt soiree ghirardelli bar to the rescue ;)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Salted chocolate sunflower seed butter dip

17 Brigitt September 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I always crave a sweet after lunch and dinner! Usually something sweet and sour like sour skittles or lemon heads (which I can’t find ANYWHERE in NYC for some reason!?).

18 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 20, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Ice cream! I had “back to school night” last Thursday at my work & I had to stop at DQ for a mini blizzard! It was like 9:00PM, but it was all I could think about! :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..I Didn’t Realize

19 Courtney September 20, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Mmmmm, that sounds so good!!

20 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl September 20, 2011 at 2:46 pm

The last craving I had occurred about 2 hours before Jersey Shore last week. I really wanted to eat egg sandwiches while watching the Shore. So, I bought some english muffins, egg beaters, cheese and ham. And I went to TOWN. Snooki and eggs n’ cheese = heaven. ;-)
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Cupcake Monday: Hoppin’ on the Pumpkin Train

21 Courtney September 20, 2011 at 3:15 pm

LOL – that is an awesome combo, Jamie. I may have to try that this week ;)

22 Kaelin September 20, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Your smoothie looks delicious!!! I am new to the whole smoothie thing and can’t seem to find xanthan gum in my grocery store. Where do you buy it? What aisle do you find it in? Thank you!!!

23 Courtney September 20, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I found mine in with the gluten free items at my grocery store. It’s by Bob’s Red Mill. I know it’s also on iHerb.com and if it’s your first purchase, you can use my coupon code SAZ564 to get $5.00 off!

24 Shayla @ The Good Life September 20, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Love your smoothie!! :)

I always have a true food craving after dinner…I can never get past the sweet tooth I always get in the evenings. Either it be a couple spoonfuls of greek yogurt with honey, prunes dipped in peanut butter, or a piece of dark chocolate…anything will suffice, as long as it’s sweet! ;)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Summer in September

25 Hilliary@HappilyEverHealthy September 20, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I love the Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough! And the last true food craving I had was for a Red Velvet Cupcake from a small bakery in Indianapolis. I literally could not get my mind off it! I had to figure out another option for the craving on the account of I no longer live in Indianapolis!
Hilliary@HappilyEverHealthy recently posted..A Birthday, and Ask5For5

26 Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 20, 2011 at 3:26 pm

A second cookie last night and let me tell you, I paid for it. The stomach ache told me I should have held off :(
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Tuscan Zucchini with Onions

27 Brandy @ Let's Grab a Coffee September 20, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Haha, when I first opened the site I was like “what is that green goop her cereal is floating on?”
But the picture of it in front of the pumpkins is actually very festive and cute. :) I still can’t help but wonder what catologliving would come up with for it. ;)

Can’t wait to see what that pizza dough turns into!
Brandy @ Let’s Grab a Coffee recently posted..How Not To Run A Business

28 Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 20, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I often crave nut butter, cheese, hummus and of course chocolate :)

A nice cup of tea too!
Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..Chocolate Coconut Bites

29 Melissa September 20, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Oh no–I love the Kashi crackers! I haven’t had them in a while, but I hope they don’t taste different! :(

Lately I have been craving English muffins round the clock. Pretty much every meal I make, I’m trying to incorporate them somehow! AB & pumpkin English muffins, spicy tofu English muffin sandwich, cinnamon-sugar English muffin. Yeah. I think I have a problem.
Melissa recently posted..Pump-gasm?

30 Alexa @ Simple Eats September 20, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I don’t like Kashi crackers, either! I am loving Lentil Chips, though. Try them, they’re SO good!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Veggie Candy

31 Courtney September 20, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Interesting!
Where would I find lentil chips??

32 Alexa @ Simple Eats September 20, 2011 at 4:58 pm

They’re from the Mediterranean Snack Food Company…I just found them in the natural food section of my local grocery store!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Veggie Candy

33 Faith September 20, 2011 at 4:50 pm

sounds disgusting…probably because it is…but my last true food craving was for a bean and cheese burrito smothered in their hot sauce from a fast food mexican place called Taco Casa back home (yep, about as classy as it sounds).
Faith recently posted..Fall Favorites

34 Katie @ The Purposeful Woman September 20, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I LOVE really spicy foods!! …so I often crave a good Mexican meal with a kick!! Funny I know :). Today was one of those days!! For lunch I had a steak burrito with extra salsa (with a little sriracha sauce!!) and a side of corn!!
Katie @ The Purposeful Woman recently posted..Packing Up For California

35 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 20, 2011 at 5:03 pm

The last thing I craved was a ginormous salad. After a weekend of eating nothing but junk food, my body needed vegetables!
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Long Run + ACL = Tired Legs

36 Jill September 20, 2011 at 5:09 pm

My most recent craving was for Mooyah – a local burger and fries place. I convinced my hubby to give in and it was so good. But on a regular basis I crave egg sandwiches in the mornings and something sweet after dinner. I try to contain the sweet craving to a dark chocolate Ghiradelli square.
Jill recently posted..High-Low

37 Shana September 20, 2011 at 5:39 pm

We just bought that pizza dough last weekend! Can’t wait to see what you make with it!
Shana recently posted..Apple of my eye

38 AL September 20, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Well I’m pregnant so… I’ve been craving fries and chips. I gain weight pretty much only in my belly, so I have no problem eating them all day everyday… I just look much further along than I truly am ;)

39 Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 20, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I don’t get many food cravings … other than the fact that I always have a RAGING sweet tooth. But I remember one time last football season, I had a crazy craving for hot wings. I begged my husband to take me to Buffalo Wild Wings, and it totally hit the spot!! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Who signed us up for this anyways?

40 Danielle September 20, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I bought that pizza dough over the weekend! Making dinner with it tomorrow night. Can’t wait to see what you do with it! Maybe you’ll change my mind on what to do with it. ;)
Danielle recently posted..Overtime Baking

41 Lindsay @ biking before bed September 20, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Today I had a huge craving for a gumball. Double bubble from the quarter machine. I stopped at the grocery store with my quarter in hand. I have no idea where it came from!
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Monday Memories: Big Bend Part II

42 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy September 20, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Sometimes I crave the strangest things! Most recently? Probably salsa. I started craving it while I was at work today, but of course I didn’t have any packed away in my lunchbox :).
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..The Day I Actually Liked Running

43 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 20, 2011 at 7:10 pm

The last true food craving I had was for a kombucha this afternoon when I got out of clinical. I could not stop thinking about it all afternoon and it totally hit the spot when I got home! :)
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..Monday Mantra

44 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 20, 2011 at 7:44 pm

My latest food craving was sweet potato & PB. SO good!!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Tricky, tricky training

45 Jessica K. September 20, 2011 at 7:45 pm

On Sunday I really wanted an egg and cheese breakfast sandwich! So I made some eggs with a few bacon bits and slapped it on some toast with good old American cheese… delicious!

46 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign September 20, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Ah, I had that dough in my hand tonight at TJ’s, and put it back because I was scared it wouldn’t turn out…I’m making pizzas for a party this weekend. You’ll have to let me know if you liked it!

Last craving? Chocolate ice cream…definitely succumbed to that one this evening! mmm.
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..The Wee Hours

47 Ari @ Ari's Menu September 20, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I think my last big craving was a smoothie too! It shot back into the triple digits here so every single thing about eating a smoothie sounded perfect, and I couldn’t get my mind off of it! :)
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..PB&J Oatmeal & Garmin Talk

48 Michelle September 20, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Definitely candy corn… after your recent post ;)

49 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean September 20, 2011 at 9:16 pm

i agree about those kashi crackers! i hate the new version…and my hubby likes those pita chips but i just can’t quite get excited about them.
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted..Monster Cookies

50 Courtney September 20, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Ok, I’m glad I’m not the only one!

51 Katie @ Plates and Paste September 20, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Asain food! My bf and I have dim sum and Vietnamese a lot so if it’s been awhile I’ll crave it :) I also remember one time I was craving Mac and cheese so we made huge thing of it that lasted all week. That will kill any craving since you’re pretty much sick of it after eating it all week!
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..View of the Water

52 Laura @ Unchartered 20s September 21, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I always want smoothies! But the craving has to be strong enough since it involves pulling out the blender. .. i mean, its on a high shelf. And then u have to wash it. I am lazy. ;)

Its such a pretty green color :D
Laura @ Unchartered 20s recently posted..Getting Back Into It

53 Rebecca September 22, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I was disappointed too in the pita chips. I was expecting something more and there was just something missing.

Pizza is my most recent craving. I was craving it like crazy, but the vegan options would set me back $6.99 a pizza. I caved when I went out of town earlier this week at whole foods and got a slice.
Rebecca recently posted..WIAW #7 and Dinner Hosting!