Voluminous At Its Finest

by Courtney on September 21, 2011

So I got a little wordy unexpectedly this morning and didn’t get a chance to share my amazing breakfast with you all. Hey, sometimes the words are just a-flowin’ and I can’t be stopped!

But don’t worry, I’m filling you all in on the good stuff now.

Yes, it was amazing, thanks to two huge contributing factors; the first one being, Coach’s Oats. I received this package of Coach’s Oats in the mail yesterday and since I’m still out of my buckwheat, there was no doubt I was going to be giving these a try.

Okay, umm, these oats are definitely giving my buckwheat a run for its money.

At first, I thought that these were just the typical, rolled oats that I buy from the store. But as it turns out, they’re slightly different- the groats are toasted to bring the natural sugars to the surface of the oat, then cracked into small pieces.

So there’s the first contributing factor to this awesome bowl of oatmeal. The second factor can be attributed to the lovely Chelsey. The other day, I came across her blog post on apple cranberry pumpkin oatmeal and was immediately intrigued, not by the ingredients, but by the preparation.

Chelsey, like me, loves voluminous foods – more bang for the buck, right? Well her way of cooking the oatmeal is actually a super-easy, two step process which involves semi-cooking them the night before, allowing them to sit overnight, and then finishing them off in the morning. I followed her process to a T, using my usual pumpkin oat recipe (+ 2 teaspoons of chia seeds).

I then topped it off with a little granola and some cinnamon raisin peanut butter, grabbed my mug of coffee, and I was good to go.

These oats were just so, so good. They were creamy, light and airy, full of pumpkin flavor, and filled a massive-sized bowl that took me a good 10 minutes to eat. It was voluminous at its finest.

Thank you, Chelsey and Coach’s Oats for making my breakfast fan-freakin-tastic. Winking smile

Looking for Halloween Cupcake Ideas?

FYI! My latest contribution to Celebrations.com is up, including 5 fun cupcake ideas:

108___09

Simple Spider Web Cupcakes

Easy Eyeball Cupcakes

Spooky Spider Cupcakes

Festive Pumpkin Cupcakes

Friendly Ghost Cupcakes

If you’re starting to think about some ideas for Halloween (like I am!), then you may want to give ‘em a look! Winking smile

Questions for the Afternoon:

Do you get excited for Halloween?

What was the last costume you wore for Halloween?

1 Lindsey September 21, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I love Halloween, handing out candy to the kids is my favorite :) Last year I was a pirate, not too original but it worked!
Lindsey recently posted..Happy Anniversary

2 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers September 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Last costume party (since last Halloween was a Monday and we didn’t end up doing ANYTHING!), I was an Ewok. It was a LITTLE bit of a sexy Ewok but, honestly, more than anything, it was hilarious.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..What I Watch Wednesday

3 Khushboo September 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Voluminous oats are so yum…love them cold!
Khushboo recently posted..Maggie develops an eating disorder

4 Lindsay @ biking before bed September 21, 2011 at 1:45 pm

My favorite Halloween costume ever was Buzz Lightyear:)
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Rita’s Water Ice Blues

5 Hope September 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Those oats look so delicious! I’m going to have to try making these. They are too fluffy to pass up! :)

I love Halloween! My last costume was a cowgirl. Boring, I know!
Hope recently posted..A Ratatouille Kind of Evening…

6 Samantha September 21, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I love Halloween! I was Sandy from Grease a couple years ago – when she turns into a greaser at the end of the movie. It was awesome!
Samantha recently posted..U.S. Air Force Marathon Race Weekend Report (Marathon #2)

7 Brittany September 21, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Those look awesome i’ll need to try that voluminous trick!!
I LOVE halloween. It’s one of my favorite holidays. I’m not really sure why I think mostly because it screams fall to me and I just think it’s cute and fun to decorate :)

8 Faith September 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I was Snow White last year (last minute Target run = the least trashy female costume left). It worked well though because I have dark hair and pale skin. Our Halloween tradition is to have a big party at our house. The weather us usually nice so we set up in the driveway/front yard w/ bbq, tons of great candy and our friends even come over to decorate the house the day of. So fun! And all the little girls were screaming when they saw me (in excitement, not horror…I hope. haha.)
I’m looking forward to this year’s already.
Faith recently posted..Here She Is America…

9 Rosa - Fitness Food Fulfilled September 21, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Food has to have volume, otherwise, how is it satisfying?
I love Halloween! Decorating, the candy, the costumes, baking.
The last costume I wore was a flight attendant. It was really fun.
Rosa – Fitness Food Fulfilled recently posted..Things We Loved About San Diego

10 Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 21, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Those are the cutest cupcakes! I have to say that I haven’t thought about Halloween yet :)

I love Chelsey’s voluminous oats!
Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #6

11 Melissa September 21, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Halloween is so much fun!!! Last year, I dressed up as Walk of Shame. I had on one high heel and a mini skirt with an oversized hoodie and a bra hanging out of the pocket. One earring, smeared makeup, club wristbands, bed head, the works. I even painted hickeys on my neck with costume makeup. It was fun!
Melissa recently posted..New Girl

12 Courtney September 22, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I LOVE IT!!!

13 Caitlin C. September 21, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I LOVE Halloween! I trick or treated until senior year of high school. Last year I was an 80′s girl Friday night and a cat Saturday night. Easy homemade costumes!
Caitlin C. recently posted..Why am I here?

14 e@thisnotedlife September 21, 2011 at 3:22 pm

have i mentioned that i think we have the same dishes? anyhow i lOVE halloween and last year i dressed up as a 1950′s housewife :) NO idea what i’ll be this year….

15 Yolie @ Practising Wellness September 21, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Mmm…that breakfast bowl looks divine – and my interest was especially piqued by the cinnamon raisin peanut butter…oh my, what a wonderful concept, lol! Yummy! <3
We don't really celebrate Halloween here in England, but I always thought that it looked like such an awesome holiday – I ADORE the movie Hocus Pocus, it reminds me of Halloween so much. In fact, I feel like watching it so badly now. :-P xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..eating by the book

16 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 21, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Halloween is my Christmas. I adoooore it! I was Ke$ha last year… aand I’m still trying to figure out how I’m going to top it this year. ;)
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..WIAW… again!

17 Kim @ The Family Practice September 21, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Those cupcakes are adorable – you are so clever.
I tried making one of your frostings for my son’s birthday – it tasted great, but apparently I suck at decorating with frosting: http://thefamilypractice.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/success/
any tips? the consistency and taste was really good but it’s all lame-o looking. ha ha.
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Enchilada Casserole

18 Courtney September 22, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Just keep practicing! It’ll come :)

19 Erica September 21, 2011 at 3:56 pm

i LOVE halloween!!! i think the last real costume i wore was the corpse bride.
Erica recently posted..wedding recap: the reception

20 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 21, 2011 at 3:58 pm

now I want pumpkin oatmeal for a snack. That’s not a snack food!!
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Metta World Peace What?

21 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 21, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Loveee voluminous oats! It’s fun to have so much..especially if it’s as delicious as that bowl looks!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..It’s a wild life

22 Katie @ Plates and Paste September 21, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Oh my goodness, it seems to early for Halloween! Haha…my last costume was a femme fatale and my bf was a 1920s cop.
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..View of the Water

23 Ruthie Hart September 21, 2011 at 4:19 pm

gahhhhh you are so creative with your halloween treats!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..What I’m Loving

24 Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection September 21, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I like the kid-side of Halloween, meaning the cute costumes, fun/delicious goodies, and excitement of it all (if that even makes any sense)…but I also get really creeped out by some of the things people do for Halloween–there’s a line to step over that crosses into scary, you know?
Danica @ It’s Progression Not Perfection recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #3

25 Courtney September 22, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I definitely agree. I think some people, unfortunately, just view it as an excuse to get trashy.

26 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 21, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Voluminous oats are amazing! Your bowl looks so, so good! My favorite part about Halloween is carving pumpkins. I also really like to see all of the fun costumes. The last time I dressed up I was a naughty nurse.
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..WIAW #8

27 Jenny September 21, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I heart big bowls of oats like that! Keeps you feeling good all day :)

28 Alexa @ Simple Eats September 21, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I LOVEEE Halloween! I was Barbie last year with my best friend and I loved it. This year I’m probably going as the Orbit Gum girl :)
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..BBQ Chicken Chili

29 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine September 21, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Mmmm those oats look great! Last Halloween, I was Mario from Super Mario Brothers.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Wine Wednesday – Version 1.0

30 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 21, 2011 at 6:27 pm

yay! so glad you enjoyed the trick! I do love volume eating. The more, the better!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..wiaw… #tweetstyle

31 Amy September 21, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I can’t wait to try these oats they look so good. Steel cut oats are my fav with banana or pumpkin.
I love Halloween. Last year i was a racecar girl. This year I think I might be a bumblebee.
I’m a hairstylist in a salon and we all dress for halloween. Its so fun and the kids love it.

32 Sara @ RunnerWife September 21, 2011 at 7:08 pm

You make the greatest looking cupcakes! I need to take some lessons from you! My husband doesn’t like cupcakes…which is outlandish to me, but I wish mine could look half as good as yours!
Sara @ RunnerWife recently posted..Soul Searching

33 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign September 21, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I think I get most excited for the halloween candy! Well, that and ALL seasonal candy. mmm
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Let’s Talk in Tangents, Okay?

34 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 21, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Those cupcakes are so adorable! They make me want to throw a Halloween party!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Old Faithful

35 kristen September 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I am so excited about halloween! I just got a bunch of fall decorations today!

36 Rebecca October 3, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Delicious looking oats. Last year me and three friends dressed up as Castle Crashers (xbox game) and went with a Yoda and vampire. I don’t think I’m dressing up this year.
Rebecca recently posted..WIAW-Something…supernatural