Is It Time To Buy That Again?

Good morning party people! How’s everyone doing on this lovely Thursday?

Well, my Thursday started off with Day 4 of my new workout challenge. As soon as I rolled out of bed this morning, my entire lower body was screaming at me. Holy cow I was sore! Luckily, today’s scheduled workout was yoga, so I was looking forward to really stretching things out.

I also figured that since today would be a bit on the lighter side, I added a quick 20 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill (20 seconds @ 9.0mph / 40 seconds @ 4.5mph) before getting my “om” on.

The yoga video, which is just under 40 minutes, was great. The music that plays in the background reminded me of the same sounds they play at a day spa. On top of that, I had a steady rain falling outside my window which made for a completely Zen workout…even if I was dripping in sweat the entire time.

The video is a mix of traditional flow yoga poses and many of the moves that I remember Chris Freytag doing from the original 10lb. Slimdown yoga. By the time the video was over, I definitely felt energized, long, lean, and relaxed. (<—Yes, energized and relaxed at the same time…that makes sense, right?)

Post-workout it was time to fuel up, and to be honest, there was nothing else I wanted more than another bowl of the amazing pumpkin oats that I enjoyed yesterday.

(Recycled photo because it was the exact same bowl and it looked exactly the same this morning!)

I’m also loving my coffee this morning, which I added not only cinnamon to, but a dash of pumpkin pie spice, too.

I actually did this yesterday, too, and got no complaints or curious inquiries from Jay, so I decided to go for it again. It’s awesome. Smile

Is It Time To Buy THAT Again??

Yesterday afternoon, I had to take a trip to Target. Unfortunately, my trip wasn’t so I could browse through their clothing section, the Halloween costumes, or their cute accessories. Nope. Yesterday’s trip was for a lot of the “necessities” – you know, those things that we all, obviously, need in our day-to-day lives.

Yes, peanut butter is a necessity…but I don’t mind spending some extra $$ on that stuff.

Most of these items are never very fun to buy (for me at least) and, quite honestly, I just really dislike having to spend money on them. Many are home/house related, but not all of them.

My dislike for buying certain items really goes full circle. So it got me to thinking…

What are some of the things that I really dislike spending money on?

• toilet paper
  • tissues
  • paper towels
  • tampons
  • socks
  • bras
  • contact lenses
  • contact solution
  • stamps
  • anti-virus software for my computer
  • student loans (<—technically not “buying,” but I really dislike paying them!)

So my solution to having to spend the money on things I don’t like spending money on is to pair them with things that I do like spending money on…like this cute new pair of cozy slippers that happened to make their way into my cart yesterday. Winking smile

*FYI – slippers are currently on sale at Target and if you go on their website, there’s a coupon for an additional 20% off!

Question for the Morning:

What necessities do you really dislike spending money on?

I hate spending money on car stuff! Oil changes, checkups, gasoline, just anything associated with my car because it is so necessary but so EXPENSIVE!

I also do cinnamon in my coffee – even in my iced coffee in the warm months!
    Caitlin C. recently posted..Why am I here?

I’m totally with you on not liking to spend money on the “necessities”… Why can’t we just buy the fun stuff? 😉 A few of the ones that you mentioned that I especially hate spending money on is bras (they’re so darn expensive!), tampons (the reason you buy them is no fun, obviously), and contacts/contact solution (why can’t I just have perfect vision?!). I also hate having to buy cleaning supplies, dish washing soap, and paper goods. Boring, boring, and boring. The nice thing about Target is that you can make the “boring necessity shopping” a little more fun by buying something you want – like your cute, comfy slippers!
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Family Favorite

Oh goodness, there’s so many things on that list (all the most trivial bits of life that are essential for my happiness, of course): Qtips, cottonballs, Stamps (that’s a HUGE one), air freshener (essential since I’ve become addicted to the febreze plug ins), dryer sheets/detergent, and hardware like nails and screws. No-thanks.

I like to treat myself with frozen yogurt when I accomplish these banal tasks or, if it’s at a store with beer, I’ll pick up a fun new beer that I’ve never tried to offset the monotony of more cotton(y).
    Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..What I Watch Wednesday

• says

Other than ALL of them?! (but actually, not really, here’s what I’ve weeded out as good/bad)

Highlights: shipyard pumpkinhead, Southern Tier Pumking (but only if you’re sharing, it’s REALLY strong in flavor/sweetness, like a pumpkin pie), weyerbacher imperial pumpkin was pretty tasty, and I’m looking forward to trying the Dogfish Head punkin which I’ve heard great things about.

lowlights: uinta punk’n & post road pumpkin (both are not actively BAD but I wouldn’t go out of my way for them.)
        Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Here’s the Mail, It Never Fails. It Makes Me Wanna Wag My Tail….

• Courtney says

You are fantastic. I will definitely be keeping an eye out (although I think I actually tried the Pumking last weekend at the Oktobeerfest event that I went to – it was definitely strong!)

I hate buying toilet paper, paper towels, soap, deodorant, lotion etc – it always seems like i have to buy it in one trip too which usually ups my grocery cart cost by 60 dollars! Oh and razor blades….

Are you slippers on the wrong feet? hehe
    alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..WIAW

5. Nicole says

I really don’t like spending money on those kinds of things either, so I found a way around having to! Every week, I browse the CVS circular to see what I can get for “free”. By combining their extrabucks program with regular coupons that I find in the newspaper, I get free items every week.

I don’t go buck W like those crazies on the coupon shows, I only spend around 45 min a week, which includes the actual shopping. I’ve got a pretty decent stockpile of goodies – toothpaste, floss, mouthwash, deodorant, body wash, soap, shampoo and conditioner, lotion, q-tips, razors, tampons, contact solution, eye drops, advil, heat wraps, dish soap, chap stick, nail polish, etc.

I love knowing how much I’ve saved, and putting that money toward other more exciting things – like vacations to fun places :)

Toilet paper, socks, cleaning supplies (which is why I started using water and vinegar!), oil changes for my car, gas… are the top ones I think! But I agree buying one fun item with all the necessities makes it better :)
    Lindsey recently posted..Happy Anniversary

I hate spending money on those same exact items too especially student loans. It seems like no matter how long I’ve been paying them, the balance never goes down. I feel like I’ll be paying them until I’m 50 years old. Blah!
    Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk: Flowers…

I HATE HATE HATE buying razors. It’s awful – I use mine until they’re so dull they couldn’t cut air, and then I always go round and round with myself in the aisle…”Buy the good quality ones, they make shaving so easy and no nicks….but why the hell should I pay $6 for four when I can pay $2 for 10! Cheap ones for sure! Except wait, they make my legs look like a warzone…”
    Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Latte Oatmeal

I hate buying all of those things too! They also tend to be so expensive, so I end up buying whatever brand is on sale and/or clipping coupons for those items. It definitely helps keep the cost down, which makes buying that stuff a litttleee more enjoyable.
    Brigitt recently posted..I Burned the Carrots

I hate having to spend money on shampoo and conditioner. I go through both (but especially conditioner) rather quickly, so I feel like they’re always on my list!

Does gas count? Its something you need, but I’m lazy about pulling into the gas station and spending five minutes paying for and pumping gas (plus it gets pricey!) Student loans too-why can’t we live in a system where its not so expensive?
    Rebecca recently posted..WIAW #7 and Dinner Hosting!

I wanted to thank you for talking about Direct’s Exercise TV. I have Direct and NEVER EVER knew that there was exercise tv on demand!!!! I am soo totally happy now and it is ALL thanks to you! I remembered to check late last night so i didn’t get to try any of them…other than the 10lbs slimdown extreme that you are doing now (i’m going to try starting them tongiht) do you recommend or really like any one in particular?

Thanks so much for making my life a little easier now!!
    P.S. i love reading your blog everyday!!
    Lindsay recently posted..Skinny bitch

• Courtney says

Thank you, Lindsay! I’m so glad you checked our the Exercise TV. I love it!
      I’ll tell you this…I did the lower body xtreme workout yesterday morning…today, my legs, hamstrings, glutes, EVERYTHING, is beyond sore (in a good way, though!) I love it :)

it’s funny i find myself thinking those same things every time i go to the grocery store to get them…. ziploc and trash bags are also annoying to buy!

i have those slippers!!! aren’t they amazingly comfortable? :)

i feel the same way! i hate shopping for necessities and i feel like they are the most expensive. one time the boy and I went to Target for cleaning supplies, windex, toilet bowl cleaner, febreeze and we ended up spending like $100!! but it was all things we needed. uhh. i’d much rather be spending that on cute shoes and nail polish, and maybe a new purse! but no. responsibilities of having your own place. haha
    debbie (accidently delish) recently posted..By: WIAW #7 – fun with new finds « Accidently Delish

Your entire list would be IDENTICAL to mine. So true! Why is it that target always seems to make you buy more than you need? I’m always walking out with something I didnt intend to buy.

loving the slippers. but i have the most random question ever. I live in upstate ny as well, lake george area to give some perspective….how do you get Trader Joe’s, is there a secret one I don’t know about, I saw the dough and died in jealousy.
    Courtney recently posted..Vizualized

As soon as I saw that list I realize I hate to buy everyone of those things. Everything this else I always have a back-up or extra but not those things. Toilet paper was a problem for me for awhile, I spent a couple of days at my boyfriends just because I was out of TP and it was easier to stay with him lol
    Alaina Johnson recently posted..Oh, Sinuses

• Courtney says

Yes, razors are the worst, but there’s a pretty good solution for that…
      Just shave your legs a whole lot less often like I do 😉

18. sherri says

The #1 thing I hate spending money on is wrapping paper! I think it’s because you’re basically buying it just to throw it away.

Is it just me or do you have your slippers on the wrong feet?!? hahaha Has anyone else noticed this? So funny….