Is It Time To Buy That Again?

by Courtney on September 22, 2011

Good morning party people! How’s everyone doing on this lovely Thursday?

Well, my Thursday started off with Day 4 of my new workout challenge. As soon as I rolled out of bed this morning, my entire lower body was screaming at me. Holy cow I was sore! Luckily, today’s scheduled workout was yoga, so I was looking forward to really stretching things out.

I also figured that since today would be a bit on the lighter side, I added a quick 20 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill (20 seconds @ 9.0mph / 40 seconds @ 4.5mph) before getting my “om” on.

The yoga video, which is just under 40 minutes, was great. The music that plays in the background reminded me of the same sounds they play at a day spa. On top of that, I had a steady rain falling outside my window which made for a completely Zen workout…even if I was dripping in sweat the entire time.

The video is a mix of traditional flow yoga poses and many of the moves that I remember Chris Freytag doing from the original 10lb. Slimdown yoga. By the time the video was over, I definitely felt energized, long, lean, and relaxed. (<—Yes, energized and relaxed at the same time…that makes sense, right?)

Breakfast

Post-workout it was time to fuel up, and to be honest, there was nothing else I wanted more than another bowl of the amazing pumpkin oats that I enjoyed yesterday.

(Recycled photo because it was the exact same bowl and it looked exactly the same this morning!)

I’m also loving my coffee this morning, which I added not only cinnamon to, but a dash of pumpkin pie spice, too.

I actually did this yesterday, too, and got no complaints or curious inquiries from Jay, so I decided to go for it again. It’s awesome. Smile

*****

Is It Time To Buy THAT Again??

Yesterday afternoon, I had to take a trip to Target. Unfortunately, my trip wasn’t so I could browse through their clothing section, the Halloween costumes, or their cute accessories. Nope. Yesterday’s trip was for a lot of the “necessities” – you know, those things that we all, obviously, need in our day-to-day lives.

Yes, peanut butter is a necessity…but I don’t mind spending some extra $$ on that stuff.

Most of these items are never very fun to buy (for me at least) and, quite honestly, I just really dislike having to spend money on them. Many are home/house related, but not all of them.

My dislike for buying certain items really goes full circle. So it got me to thinking…

What are some of the things that I really dislike spending money on?

• toilet paper
  • tissues
  • paper towels
  • tampons
  • socks
  • bras
  • contact lenses
  • contact solution
  • stamps
  • anti-virus software for my computer
  • student loans (<—technically not “buying,” but I really dislike paying them!)

So my solution to having to spend the money on things I don’t like spending money on is to pair them with things that I do like spending money on…like this cute new pair of cozy slippers that happened to make their way into my cart yesterday. Winking smile

*FYI – slippers are currently on sale at Target and if you go on their website, there’s a coupon for an additional 20% off!

Question for the Morning:

What necessities do you really dislike spending money on?

1 Shannon September 22, 2011 at 9:33 am

I love going to grocery shopping but buying things I use everyday is boring :P
Loving your slippers! <3
Shannon recently posted..I Gave In

2 Caitlin C. September 22, 2011 at 9:34 am

I hate spending money on car stuff! Oil changes, checkups, gasoline, just anything associated with my car because it is so necessary but so EXPENSIVE!

I also do cinnamon in my coffee – even in my iced coffee in the warm months!
Caitlin C. recently posted..Why am I here?

3 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 22, 2011 at 9:39 am

I’m totally with you on not liking to spend money on the “necessities”… Why can’t we just buy the fun stuff? ;) A few of the ones that you mentioned that I especially hate spending money on is bras (they’re so darn expensive!), tampons (the reason you buy them is no fun, obviously), and contacts/contact solution (why can’t I just have perfect vision?!). I also hate having to buy cleaning supplies, dish washing soap, and paper goods. Boring, boring, and boring. The nice thing about Target is that you can make the “boring necessity shopping” a little more fun by buying something you want – like your cute, comfy slippers!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Family Favorite

4 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count September 22, 2011 at 9:39 am

I hate spending money on gas, cleaning supplies, printer ink (so expensive!).

I love buying candles, cute home decor, clothes, fun groceries, toys for Ryder (my dog).
Taylor @ Crumbs Don’t Count recently posted..Flying Pizza

5 Sweet and Savvy September 22, 2011 at 9:41 am

I hate spending money On that stuff too! That and most beauty products.

6 Khushboo September 22, 2011 at 9:44 am

Why are bras SO expensive…and medical treatments! Oh because the companies know we have no choice!
Khushboo recently posted..Maggie develops an eating disorder

7 SeekingAmy September 22, 2011 at 9:46 am

Those slippers look so comfy–I am in need of some new ones! :)
SeekingAmy recently posted..Here we go again…

8 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 22, 2011 at 9:48 am

I’d agree with all of those except I don’t have contacts or student loans (thankfully!) Pantry staples also annoy me. Particularly, olive oil. That stuff is expensive!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Thursday thoughts (from the bike)

9 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers September 22, 2011 at 9:48 am

Oh goodness, there’s so many things on that list (all the most trivial bits of life that are essential for my happiness, of course): Qtips, cottonballs, Stamps (that’s a HUGE one), air freshener (essential since I’ve become addicted to the febreze plug ins), dryer sheets/detergent, and hardware like nails and screws. No-thanks.

I like to treat myself with frozen yogurt when I accomplish these banal tasks or, if it’s at a store with beer, I’ll pick up a fun new beer that I’ve never tried to offset the monotony of more cotton(y).
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..What I Watch Wednesday

10 Courtney September 22, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Ok Jordan, you seem to be my beer gal. Any good pumpkin beers you’d recommend?? :)

11 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers September 22, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Other than ALL of them?! (but actually, not really, here’s what I’ve weeded out as good/bad)

Highlights: shipyard pumpkinhead, Southern Tier Pumking (but only if you’re sharing, it’s REALLY strong in flavor/sweetness, like a pumpkin pie), weyerbacher imperial pumpkin was pretty tasty, and I’m looking forward to trying the Dogfish Head punkin which I’ve heard great things about.

lowlights: uinta punk’n & post road pumpkin (both are not actively BAD but I wouldn’t go out of my way for them.)
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Here’s the Mail, It Never Fails. It Makes Me Wanna Wag My Tail….

12 Courtney September 22, 2011 at 4:41 pm

You are fantastic. I will definitely be keeping an eye out (although I think I actually tried the Pumking last weekend at the Oktobeerfest event that I went to – it was definitely strong!)

13 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine September 22, 2011 at 9:57 am

I really HATE buying contacts – I just spent a boatload of money on them.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Wine Wednesday – Version 1.0

14 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie September 22, 2011 at 9:58 am

I hate buying toilet paper, paper towels, soap, deodorant, lotion etc – it always seems like i have to buy it in one trip too which usually ups my grocery cart cost by 60 dollars! Oh and razor blades….

Are you slippers on the wrong feet? hehe
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..WIAW

15 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer September 22, 2011 at 9:59 am

Cute slippies!!
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Dinner with the In-Laws

16 Nicole September 22, 2011 at 10:01 am

I really don’t like spending money on those kinds of things either, so I found a way around having to! Every week, I browse the CVS circular to see what I can get for “free”. By combining their extrabucks program with regular coupons that I find in the newspaper, I get free items every week.

I don’t go buck W like those crazies on the coupon shows, I only spend around 45 min a week, which includes the actual shopping. I’ve got a pretty decent stockpile of goodies – toothpaste, floss, mouthwash, deodorant, body wash, soap, shampoo and conditioner, lotion, q-tips, razors, tampons, contact solution, eye drops, advil, heat wraps, dish soap, chap stick, nail polish, etc.

I love knowing how much I’ve saved, and putting that money toward other more exciting things – like vacations to fun places :)

17 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 22, 2011 at 10:07 am

I hate spending money on all of those things too- especially because they all seem to run out at once! That makes for a huge bill!!!!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..How ‘MODERN’ are You?!

18 Lindsey September 22, 2011 at 10:11 am

Toilet paper, socks, cleaning supplies (which is why I started using water and vinegar!), oil changes for my car, gas… are the top ones I think! But I agree buying one fun item with all the necessities makes it better :)
Lindsey recently posted..Happy Anniversary

19 Kim @ The Family Practice September 22, 2011 at 10:19 am

I have those little mockasin slipeprs and I love them! Sometimes I “accidently” forget to put on real shoes when I go out for errands :)
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..A Tough Choice

20 Hope September 22, 2011 at 10:19 am

I hate spending money on those same exact items too especially student loans. It seems like no matter how long I’ve been paying them, the balance never goes down. I feel like I’ll be paying them until I’m 50 years old. Blah!
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk: Flowers…

21 Samantha September 22, 2011 at 10:21 am

Hmm I never thought about that but most of what’s on your list makes my list too – especially glasses/contact lenses – why do I have to be practically blind?!
Samantha recently posted..On the Road to Recovery

22 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 22, 2011 at 10:30 am

Oh I’m right there with you on hating to buy necessities. I JUST ran out of toilet paper AND paper towels at once! I vote that we should all earn a lifetime supply of these goodies at birth haha
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Almond Milk for Dinner

23 Faith @ For the Health of It September 22, 2011 at 10:31 am

I HATE HATE HATE buying razors. It’s awful – I use mine until they’re so dull they couldn’t cut air, and then I always go round and round with myself in the aisle…”Buy the good quality ones, they make shaving so easy and no nicks….but why the hell should I pay $6 for four when I can pay $2 for 10! Cheap ones for sure! Except wait, they make my legs look like a warzone…”
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Latte Oatmeal

24 Courtney September 22, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I hear ya, girl! Just don’t shave your legs as much, like I do ;)

25 Shanna, Like Banana September 22, 2011 at 10:31 am

I hear ya on most of those items!

I also hate buying cat litter and dog poop bags…what a waste!
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..Mexi Spaghetti Squash and Candy Corn Cookies

26 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat September 22, 2011 at 10:35 am

I bought slippers like that last fall and just LOVED them. Great investment! :) Contact lense solution, tampons, and deoderant are annoying to me!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..90 Calorie Pumpkin Muffins

27 Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly September 22, 2011 at 10:38 am

Cute slippers, love them :-) !

I also hate spending money on stuff like toilet paper, shampoo & conditioner, tooth paste, and cereal (why is cereal so expensive?)

I go through cereal like it’s my job, one bowl just doesn’t ever do the job.
Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly recently posted..September Workout Log Week 3

28 Brigitt September 22, 2011 at 10:46 am

I hate buying all of those things too! They also tend to be so expensive, so I end up buying whatever brand is on sale and/or clipping coupons for those items. It definitely helps keep the cost down, which makes buying that stuff a litttleee more enjoyable.
Brigitt recently posted..I Burned the Carrots

29 Hilliary@HappilyEverHealthy September 22, 2011 at 10:55 am

I agree, I dislike spending money on that stuff too! Those items are just no fun! I do agree though I don’t mind spending money on good peanut butter! Especially Dark Chocolate Dreams and White Chocolate wonderful peanut butter!
Hilliary@HappilyEverHealthy recently posted..Lost in Conversation

30 Jen September 22, 2011 at 10:56 am

I hate having to spend money on shampoo and conditioner. I go through both (but especially conditioner) rather quickly, so I feel like they’re always on my list!

31 Molly September 22, 2011 at 11:07 am

GAS!!! I hate spending money on gas. makes me want to cry.
Molly recently posted..That’s just TaCkY!

32 Rebecca September 22, 2011 at 11:08 am

Does gas count? Its something you need, but I’m lazy about pulling into the gas station and spending five minutes paying for and pumping gas (plus it gets pricey!) Student loans too-why can’t we live in a system where its not so expensive?
Rebecca recently posted..WIAW #7 and Dinner Hosting!

33 Claire September 22, 2011 at 11:10 am

I buy those slipper shoes EVERY year! I think they are $20.00 at our Target right now…so I know that isn’t the “sale” price. I am going to get that coupon! Thanks!
xo
Claire recently posted..WIWW: Bears Attire, A Spotlight and A Slip

34 Ari @ Ari's Menu September 22, 2011 at 11:20 am

I agree with all of yours–especially tampons! I hate having that time of the month as it is, and now I have to spend money on it?! I also hate buying razors–so expensive!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Apple & Goat Cheese Sandwich

35 Lindsay September 22, 2011 at 11:25 am

I wanted to thank you for talking about Direct’s Exercise TV. I have Direct and NEVER EVER knew that there was exercise tv on demand!!!! I am soo totally happy now and it is ALL thanks to you! I remembered to check late last night so i didn’t get to try any of them…other than the 10lbs slimdown extreme that you are doing now (i’m going to try starting them tongiht) do you recommend or really like any one in particular?

Thanks so much for making my life a little easier now!!
P.S. i love reading your blog everyday!!
Lindsay recently posted..Skinny bitch

36 Courtney September 22, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Thank you, Lindsay! I’m so glad you checked our the Exercise TV. I love it!
I’ll tell you this…I did the lower body xtreme workout yesterday morning…today, my legs, hamstrings, glutes, EVERYTHING, is beyond sore (in a good way, though!) I love it :)

37 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! September 22, 2011 at 11:26 am

Oh my gosh I can totally relate to not liking to spend money on bras. I dont know why but I avoid this until necessary haha :)
Andrea @ Andrea out loud! recently posted..What’s Your Peanut Butter Of Choice?

38 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill September 22, 2011 at 11:31 am

I know exactly what you mean…I hate spending money on face wash, makeup remover wipes, gas, and takeout food (love grocery shopping, but it pains me to buy a sandwich).
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..4:45am Alarm and a New Puppy

39 Courtney September 22, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I totally agree with you on all of those, too!

40 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries September 22, 2011 at 11:40 am

Oh I’m with ya on the tampons, contacts and TP. All of which I’d be a big mess without, but I still hate buying them :) I hate buying trash bags too!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Half Marathon Training: Pros and Cons

41 e@thisnotedlife September 22, 2011 at 11:42 am

as an aside, i LOVE your wine rack under your kitchen cabinets – so pretty.

I hate spending money on sports bras – they are so freaking expensive it drives me insane.

42 Courtney September 22, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Thank you! :)

43 Amanda September 22, 2011 at 11:43 am

it’s funny i find myself thinking those same things every time i go to the grocery store to get them…. ziploc and trash bags are also annoying to buy!

i have those slippers!!! aren’t they amazingly comfortable? :)

44 Courtney September 22, 2011 at 4:17 pm

For the five minutes that I’ve worn them so far, YES! ;)

45 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 22, 2011 at 11:47 am

I have those slippers! they were a college fave of mine. ;)
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Tortilla Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo Pizza for the Hurting Legs

46 debbie (accidently delish) September 22, 2011 at 11:53 am

i feel the same way! i hate shopping for necessities and i feel like they are the most expensive. one time the boy and I went to Target for cleaning supplies, windex, toilet bowl cleaner, febreeze and we ended up spending like $100!! but it was all things we needed. uhh. i’d much rather be spending that on cute shoes and nail polish, and maybe a new purse! but no. responsibilities of having your own place. haha
debbie (accidently delish) recently posted..By: WIAW #7 – fun with new finds « Accidently Delish

47 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health September 22, 2011 at 11:59 am

I have those same slippers from target and I love them!! I hate spending money at the grocery store on things that aren’t food- the paper products, ziploc bags, etc. So annoying! And I’m really going to hate when I have to start paying back my student loans- that’s gonna be a really large chunk of change. Bahh
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..New Strength Training Plan

48 Katie @ Plates and Paste September 22, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Oh my god…I am RIGHT there with you on paying for contact lenses. I just bought a year supply and it was $300 (!!!) Once it reaches into the hundreds I have trouble handing over my card.
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..View of the Water

49 Arimey September 22, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I have those slippers too! So cozy. Love ‘em. And I’m completely with you on the whole student loans thing! Bleh.

50 Jodi September 22, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I certainly hate to spend money on all those things. But I like buying the toilet paper more than the alternative…lol :-).

Those slippers look comfy and cozy!!
Jodi recently posted..He’s the Man

51 Brittany September 22, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Your entire list would be IDENTICAL to mine. So true! Why is it that target always seems to make you buy more than you need? I’m always walking out with something I didnt intend to buy.

52 alex September 22, 2011 at 12:44 pm

what about garbage bags and dish washing soap? I hate buying that! or any cleaning products for that matter!

53 Courtney September 22, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Yes! Those stink too…we buy our garbage bags in bulk though so we only end up buying them like, once a year :)

54 Lauren B. September 22, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Definitely razors! They are so expensive, and I go through them so quickly :(

55 Lauren September 22, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Haha, i HATE buying contact solution too!!! And Q-tips and cotton balls. I just never think about it when I’m at the store.
Lauren recently posted..I’m Not Alone

56 Sara @ RunnerWife September 22, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I have to say razors! I was just looking for them the other day and they are so expensive, but the cheap onces always cut me really bad on my legs! ugh! Maybe I am just cheap ;)
Sara @ RunnerWife recently posted..Learning to Adapt

57 Lindsay @ biking before bed September 22, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I am so with you on the contact solution. I buy the mini bottles sometimes because I can’t bare the price of the big ones. Two other bad ones are batteries and razor blades.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..WIAW: Raspberry Edition

58 Paige @ Running Around Normal September 22, 2011 at 1:40 pm

You just reminded me – I have to buy paper towel *and* tampons! :-P

59 Steph @ StephSnacks September 22, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I dislike spending money on almost the same exact things… I could be purchasing a new skirt and sweater with all that!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..WIAW

60 kristen September 22, 2011 at 2:00 pm

cute shoes! and I love target

61 Sherri September 22, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I always believed tampons should be FREE!

62 Courtney September 22, 2011 at 2:13 pm

loving the slippers. but i have the most random question ever. I live in upstate ny as well, lake george area to give some perspective….how do you get Trader Joe’s, is there a secret one I don’t know about, I saw the dough and died in jealousy.
Courtney recently posted..Vizualized

63 Courtney September 22, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Haha, unfortunately, no. I stopped on my way home from NJ this past weekend

64 Courtney September 22, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I agree!

65 Alaina Johnson September 22, 2011 at 2:32 pm

As soon as I saw that list I realize I hate to buy everyone of those things. Everything this else I always have a back-up or extra but not those things. Toilet paper was a problem for me for awhile, I spent a couple of days at my boyfriends just because I was out of TP and it was easier to stay with him lol
Alaina Johnson recently posted..Oh, Sinuses

66 Heather @ Girlyeverafter September 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I always hated buying razors since it would cost more than $10 for 4 replacements. Now that I’ve been in school for esthetics I can just get my legs waxed for free in class. haha It’s the little things;)
Heather @ Girlyeverafter recently posted..Girly Things Thursday: Pumpkin Mask

67 Courtney September 22, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Yes, razors are the worst, but there’s a pretty good solution for that…
Just shave your legs a whole lot less often like I do ;)

68 Erica September 22, 2011 at 2:54 pm

condiments!
and puppy pads.
Erica recently posted..wedding recap: the reception

69 sherri September 22, 2011 at 2:58 pm

The #1 thing I hate spending money on is wrapping paper! I think it’s because you’re basically buying it just to throw it away.

Is it just me or do you have your slippers on the wrong feet?!? hahaha Has anyone else noticed this? So funny….

70 Courtney September 22, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Haha, they do look that way, but they’re not :)

71 Yolie @ Practising Wellness September 22, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I hate buying toiletries, and tampons/sanitary towels…and I HATE parking tickets, lol! :-P Yoga does make you feel relaxed and energized at the same time…you hit the nail on the head! :-) In a zen yogic way ;-) xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..Yoga for Athletes DVD review –> awesome! :-)

72 Stellina September 22, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I hate spending money on tampons! The worst! haha
Stellina recently posted..Apple Picking

73 Jess @ Jess Go Bananas September 22, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I hate having to spend money on books for school, internet for my phone, and apps, yada yada yada…But I don’t mind spending money on food, clothes, shoes, accessories and more! :)
Jess @ Jess Go Bananas recently posted..Where’s Waldo?

74 Shayla @ The Good Life September 22, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I definitely feel the same on all those items too, especially toilet paper and paper towels, it irritates how gosh darn expensive they are!!

I also hate having to buy dish washer soap and laundry detergent, another annoyingly expensive item!
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Front Row and Center

75 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 22, 2011 at 4:14 pm

My list is pretty close to yours! I feel like all of those paper products really add up & they all end up in the trash!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Old Faithful

76 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 22, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I dislike spending money on all of the paper items you listed yet I do not sacrifice quality for a cheaper price tag. lol. I refuse to use sandpaper toilet paper!
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..A Good One

77 Lizzie September 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm

i hate spending too much $$ on things like TP. I’d so much rather spend it on clothes and food!!
Lizzie recently posted..Guest Post–ED Struggles {Healthiful Balance}

78 Laura @ Unchartered 20s September 23, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I know they’re slippers and all…but are they on backwards?? ;)
UGH i just spent $180 on contacts :( not even a full years worth. And i hate buying all paper products. And gas.
Laura @ Unchartered 20s recently posted..A is for Apple, Autumn & Anniversary

79 Courtney September 23, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Haha, no, they’re not. It just looks that way from the picture! A few of you guys have asked that now ;)

80 Olivia September 28, 2011 at 2:31 am

student loans should definitely count as something you hate buying. They are on my list every month for years to come…boo!
Olivia recently posted..Allergy Blues