It Helps Pay the Bills

by Courtney on September 22, 2011

Today was an interesting day.

I actually spent the day back in the working world, and I ended up somewhere that I did not anticipate being back in. For the past couple of months, I’ve been trying to find (and am still actively looking for) a part time job that can help cover the costs of our inevitable bills. Boy I’ll tell ya, no matter how hard I try, they just don’t seem to disappear.

Since my attempts at finding said part time job have been pretty unsuccessful thus far, I knew that it was time to bite the bullet and go to the one other option that I have. So today, I spent the day working…in a classroom.

You see, the good thing about having a teaching degree (even if I am no longer going to be using) is that I can still put it to good use being a substitute teacher. I’ve hesitated for a while now on whether or not to go back into substitute teaching, seeing as I’ve decided that the world of teaching just is not for me anymore.

Unfortunately, sometimes real life gets in the way and we’re forced to be adults; and while I may not have been 100% on board for going back to the classroom, it was the responsible thing to do.

But here’s what’s nice about substitute teaching: you go in for the day, get to spend time with the kids (even if they are bouncing off the walls and giving their best attempts to try to take advantage of you), and then you leave. No paperwork, no meetings, no phone calls. You go, you do your thing, and you leave.

Plus, I’m actually going to be substitute teaching in the same school that my mom works at (not the school I used to work at), so I’ll be getting a little extra face time with mi madre!

The other good news is that I did not have one single regret about my career change after today. I was curious to see how I’d feel being back in the classroom, and I can happily say that I was 110% satisfied with the decisions that I’ve made.

So I won’t be working every day (just when they call and I’m available), but it will definitely be nice to have a little extra money to help pay the bills until I end up getting that much-anticipated Personal Trainer certification. Open-mouthed smile

Lunch

Seeing as though I wasn’t going to be home today for lunch, I actually had to pack one last night; I almost forgot what that was like.

I put together a mixed veggie salad topped with some leftover shredded chicken, a big ‘ol glob of goat cheese, and some pineapple salsa.

I also made sure to pack some snacks: a Stonyfield Organic Activia yogurt (got for free with my HLS coupons) and a Cascadian Farms Dark Chocolate Almond granola sample(also from HLS).

Around 3pm, I snacked on this Fiber One 90 Calorie Chocolate Peanut Butter bar that was sent to me to sample yesterday. I really liked the flavors of the bar, but you could definitely tell it was only 90 calories.

It was super light and airy, and didn’t do much to cure my hunger. That being said, I guess I’m 50-50 on it.

*****

Dinner is still up in the air tonight, and probably won’t be anything too exciting. I’m heading out later this evening to meet up with the lovely Heather, so we can do a run-through of our webinar that we have scheduled for next week. It’s sure to be a fun evening!

Question for the Evening:

When was the last time you had to make the responsible decision over the comfortable one?

1 suki September 22, 2011 at 5:41 pm

i feel like i have the opposite problem where i tend to make the responsible decision when sometimes it’s good to just go with what life throws at you and have fun with it. without thinking too hard about the consequences, of course. ;)
suki recently posted..Wine and Love #15

2 RunEatRepeat September 22, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I totally understand needing to pay the bills – You gotta do what you gotta do.
Love that chocolate granola!
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Fitting Dessert in Your Diet

3 Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy September 22, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I’m sure even if you aren’t super thrilled about the idea of teaching.. I’m sure you’ll enjoy a bit of time with the kids, as well as the extra $$$ ;)

Do you use Paul Newmans salsa? It is my favorite!
Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy recently posted..WIAW – Trying to like Greek Yogurt Edition

4 Courtney September 22, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I sure do! It’s the best :)

5 TheBloggersBrother September 22, 2011 at 5:46 pm

When I became single…thats when lol

6 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 22, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Good for you Courtney! It takes a lot to do something that you aren’t necessarily crazy about for the better of your situation. You’ve earned my respect, girl :)
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Succumb to the Craving

7 nicole @ simply Nicole September 22, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Aw you and your mama are so cute. You look just like her. I understand what you mean when you say that you weren’t sure whether or not teaching would be what you wanted to do with the rest of your life. I’m struggling now to find out how I want to use my PR degree and psychology degree.
nicole @ simply Nicole recently posted..Favorite Fall Fragrance

8 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health September 22, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I’m really glad that you did not regret your career change after being back in the school! That is awesome :). I think I’m in the midst of making a responsible decision vs. the comfortable one. I think I’m going to have to give my new kitten back to the adoption company :(. He is still hiding under the bed and he’s scared of everything. I tried to hold him earlier and show him the window and he scratched me so he could run away and then hissed at me. The comfortable decision would be to keep him, but realistically I know that I don’t want a cat for x number of years that is always scared of me and everything else. I also know that he would be better off in a home that has a more patient person to work with him and perhaps other kittens he could play with. It just makes me SO sad and breaks my heart!

Wow, sorry for that long ramble…I’ve just been really upset today!
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..New Strength Training Plan

9 Emma @ Microcosm of Life September 22, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I’m glad your re-entry into the classroom reinforced your decision for you! I can see how that would happen once you have some distance for a while and then try something again. You just gotta do what makes you happy! And I can definitely see how subbing takes some of the pressure off. If you have a bad day at school, that’s it! No worrying about the long term.

I feel similarly about the 90 calorie F1 bars…just too small and nothing-y.
Emma @ Microcosm of Life recently posted..The Great Xanthan Gum Adventure! And Other Tales.

10 christina cadden September 22, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Love that photo of you and your mom! You guys look beautiful!
christina cadden recently posted..Comment on Week One-Couch To 5K by Trac @ Tracy’s Treats

11 Shayla @ The Good Life September 22, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Good for you in being proactive in making that decision and doing what you need to do…I actually think you have the best of both worlds right now in being able to work/study towards a career your passionate about, while being able to make money on the side doing what you used to do :)

And glad to hear you felt you made the right decision, I’m sure that helped eased your mind a bit about it all…just that feeling of knowing you made the right decision feels so good and liberating!
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Front Row and Center

12 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 22, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Sometimes being an adult is tough stuff but hey, it has it’s perks too! :) …I’m glad that you have no regrets. That must be a great feeling to know FOR SURE! ….Leaving at the end of the day must have felt amazing. That is the tough part about being a teacher; you leave but you take the job with you to the grocery store, the weekends get swamped with grading and lesson planning, and literally every second in between! Soooooo glad you’re happy with everything! YAY!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..How ‘MODERN’ are You?!

13 Susan September 22, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Hey Courtney!

I just started a blog pretty recently and I am working on getting out there in the blog world and commenting on other peoples blogs that I follow, so I figured I would comment here because I follow yours everyday! It’s adorable and I love all the stories about your cat. :)

What did you think about the Cascadian Farms dark chocolate granola? I’ve heard it’s delicious!

14 Kelly September 22, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I’m totally with you, those bills just NEVER seem to go away! That is so great that you have have any regrets about leaving your teaching job, that means that you made the right decision!
Kelly recently posted..Some Favorite Things

15 Samantha September 22, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Im going through having to make a responsible decision right now versus doing what I want to do.

I just haven’t figured out how to talk about personal stuff on my blog yet.
Samantha recently posted..On the Road to Recovery

16 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine September 22, 2011 at 7:21 pm

That is definitely the most difficult part about being an adult. I have to make that decision frequently when I am invited to go out on a work night – I just can’t stay out that late.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Wine Wednesday – Version 1.0

17 Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews September 22, 2011 at 7:45 pm

That’s great that you can make some extra money subbing. My husband is a teacher but hasn’t found a job yet. His certifications are in earth science and history.
Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews recently posted..9/21 Winners

18 Rosa - Fitness Food Fulfilled September 22, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I wish we all could do the things we loved and that the bills would just get paid. Hello, blogging all day? Yes, please.
Rosa – Fitness Food Fulfilled recently posted..The Help – Now I Know

19 Lauren September 22, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I kind of see what I do as substitute teaching. Since I’m usually in the classroom 2-3 times a week, it’s nice to be able to outlet that passion of teaching but not be committed to an actual teaching position. That is why I changed my degree. I knew I wanted to teach/present but I didn’t have the heart to give EVERYTHING I was into it. Glad you were reaffirmed in your career decision today but you still get to do the things you enjoy and were gifted with. :)
Lauren recently posted..Blogging 101: My Take on The Purpose of a Blog

20 Sara @ RunnerWife September 22, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I love that you have figured out what you want to do with your life and went for it. I am really struggling right now figuring out exactly what I want, I just know I so badly want to be happy and enjoy what I do – and I know that is out there somewhere.
Sara @ RunnerWife recently posted..Learning to Adapt

21 Julie September 22, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Maybe you have already answered this in a previous post, (I’m a newer reader) but why the career change? I’m asking such a personal question because I’m considering one too. It’s definitely something that takes a lot of evaluating! Good luck with your studies!

22 allison @ thesundayflog September 22, 2011 at 8:52 pm

ugh im dealing with that right now. stay in my job that i hate or take a 50% cut and do something i love. i want to cry at the drop of a hat :(

23 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) September 22, 2011 at 8:54 pm

It’s good to know that you made the right decision right? :) Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!
I’ve tried that Fiber One bar too. I agree with you….I like the taste but it’s definitely not filling.
Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) recently posted..144.4…At Least Dessert Was Good

24 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 22, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Good for you to do what ya gotta do sometimes… That must be quite encouraging to know you made the right decision about your career though! :)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Then Vs. Now

25 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries September 22, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Ah, work that feels like work totally sucks, doesn’t it?! It’s not easy to be an adult and do what needs to get done. The last time I had to make the responsible decision over the comfortable one? Umm, everyday. Having a part time job during the day then going to class all night is TOUGH and I’ve wanted to quit a million times. But I know it’s the best thing to do to get me to where I want to be. And that’s what you’re doing too! :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Half Marathon Training: Pros and Cons

26 Mallory @ It's Only Life September 22, 2011 at 9:35 pm

It’s things like these where sometimes they’re not great WHILE we’re doing them, but because they are the right things to do, we end up feeling really good afterwards. I’m sure you come home knowing you did a good/the right thing for you right now. Good for you! :)
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..The Unplanned 7 Miler

27 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 22, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Sometimes being an adult stinks!!! haha – I would really love to have babies and stay at home right now but well… we are not financially ready for that! So, I put on my big girl pants and wait patiently.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..what attracts readers?

28 Lisa Fine September 22, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Subbing’s a good gig – fairly low stress, you can choose when to work, and the hours are good.

As someone who also has a teaching degree but is choosing not to have my own classroom, I’ve thought about doing some subbing as an option. Whatever pays the bills!
Lisa Fine recently posted..Feelin’ Like I’m Famous

29 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun September 22, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I actually LOVED substitute teaching when I did it. I loved getting that interaction and then being able to leave.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..That Time I Was On A Radio Show

30 Carissa September 22, 2011 at 10:55 pm

My responsible decision is the opposite of yours. I work less. I used to travel a lot for work and my husband hated it. I’m back in school to become an RD…but I still need to help our bills. My mind says work and travel….but in the essence of building a strong marriage I don’t. I miss the excitement of my old job in tv, but the love of my husband is worth more.
Carissa recently posted..Too Late to Apologize

31 Lindsay@bikingbeforebed September 23, 2011 at 12:23 am

Sometimes being an adult is just no fun. Like you said, at least with substituting you don’t “take the classroom home with you.” I had the same Fiber One bar for the first time today. I felt the same way. I was full for about 30 minutes… or maybe it was 5.
Lindsay@bikingbeforebed recently posted..National Ice Cream Day and Super Easy Salmon Packets

32 Khushboo September 23, 2011 at 12:59 am

Substitute teaching sounds like the best of both worlds- I’m glad you have no regrets :)! The last ‘responsible’ decision I made was switching jobs even though i wasn’t 100% sure! I reached a point where I was almost ‘too’ comfortable in my old job and wasn’t growing! Now that I look back, I am SO glad with my choice! Love my new job :)!

33 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) September 23, 2011 at 2:08 am

I’ve done substitute teaching before, and it can be quite stressful–those kids (even the little ones) can really take advantage of you! I wouldn’t choose to do it unless I absolutely had to.
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Stretching for Runners

34 cathy@1970kikiproject September 23, 2011 at 6:19 am

first comment! i used to teach, too! i taught for three years and got out of it. not the career for me. good for you for going in as a sub…nice to walk in and walk out.
good luck as you pursue your next career!!
also: i think it’s great that you left teaching if it wasn’t for you…so many people stay in careers because they think they *should* or because of all the schooling involved. life is too short! i now work at a running store and couldn’t be happier.

35 Jodi September 23, 2011 at 8:12 am

Congratulations on finding a pretty painless way to earn some extra dough! I have been looking for the same sort of part-time, not-too-committal thing, too. Too bad I don’t have my teaching degree!

I think it’s so important that you realized you needed a career change, and then did something about it.
Jodi recently posted..He’s the Man

36 Hope September 23, 2011 at 8:50 am

I completely know how you feel with paying the bills. Sometimes being an adult sucks! I’m in the process of trying to get a part-time job myself. My full-time job decided that they were going away with overtime. It’s big somewhat of a noticable paycut. So I need to make up for it. I’m hoping I can find something fun to do. :)
Hope recently posted..A Cracked View…

37 e@thisnotedlife September 23, 2011 at 11:16 am

good for you – i think it’s so important to do what you LOVE versus what you think you should be doing. Sorry im a bit behind on your career story but i find it inspiring especially since the past couple of months have been pretty eye opening for me & my career (or lack there of) as well.
e@thisnotedlife recently posted..coffee anyone?

38 Laura @ Unchartered 20s September 23, 2011 at 11:51 am

The regular Fiber One bars are AMAZING and only 140 calories…not too bad!

Good luck w/ substituting! Its great to have that to fall back on. Damn bills. If you figure out how to get rid of them, please let me know.
Laura @ Unchartered 20s recently posted..A is for Apple, Autumn & Anniversary