Quickie 20 Minute Workout

by Courtney on September 26, 2011

I never got a chance to tell you all this afternoon, but I’m happy to announce that I survived my week 2, Day 8, double upper body workout this morning!

week2

(Yes, that is me being totally dramatic.)

I knew that I would “survive,” but I was honesty I little nervous to see how my arms would be feeling after Saturday’s workout. Luckily, I woke up only slightly sore, and knew I would be able to push through. Surprisingly enough, it actually wasn’t as intense as Saturday’s workout (I think it was the lower body recovery workout that killed me before) and I felt motivated enough to add in a little extra cardio.

20 minutes was the max that I wanted to spend on the treadmill, so I put together a quickie routine that looked something like this.

You’ll notice that the speeds stay the same, but the amount of time recovering in between sprints gets shorter as you go. It was quick, intense, and perfect for when you need to fill up just 20 minutes. As always, just adjust the speeds to suit you (4.5mph is a fast walk for me).

Lunch

I’m actually working again this afternoon, so I had to pack up the lunch to go today.

Last night, I put together a salad made of spring mix, tomatoes, carrots, corn, black beans, and a slab ‘o goat cheese. I also have some pineapple salsa packed up separately to add on top.

To go along with my salad, I have a peach and a Chocolate Chip Cherry Torte Larabar, one of which will probably be my 3:00 snack.

Hopefully I’ll be able to get a little bit of studying done this afternoon, too. I barely had a chance to crack open my book this entire weekend! Disappointed smile

Question for the Afternoon:

What are some of your favorite mid-afternoon snacks?

1 Kathryn @ Flopoodle September 26, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I usually want something sweet in the afternoon, so maybe a granola bar or a piece of dark chocolate. Bananas are also a big favorite because they’re portable and delicious.
Kathryn @ Flopoodle recently posted..Flopoodle: Weekend Edition

2 Shannon September 26, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Looks like a great workout! :)
Shannon recently posted..Time for a Giveaway!

3 Khushboo September 26, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Lately I’ve been having a light lunch like salad and then a bigger afternoon snack like Greek yogurt with cereal & applesauce! I’m loving the change in routine! Other snacks I tend to have inclde Nak’d bars (UK equivalent of Larabars), mix of raisins & almonds, and apple slices with peanut butter–> can you tell i prefer sweet over savory ;)
Khushboo recently posted..My Current Digs VII

4 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 26, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Have a great day teaching!

My favorite snack (as of today) would probably be a banana smothered in Sunbutter. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Bowl Mania

5 Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com September 26, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Your salad is so colorful! I love it!

Larabars are one of my favorite afternoon snacks as well. I also love veggies and hummus, dry roasted almonds and apples with peanut butter. I usually need a little protein to help me power through to dinner. :)
Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com recently posted..Randolph Street Market Extravaganza

6 Hilliary@HappilyEverHealthy September 26, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Your lunch looks so good1

My favorite afternoon snack is yogurt with some granola, smoothies, or apples with peanut butter!

7 Lindsay @ biking before bed September 26, 2011 at 1:26 pm

My favorite mid afternoon snacks are apples and peanut butter, dry cereal, or greek yogurt. Today I have a Larabar too:) The peanut butter cookie ones were on clearance for 74 cents! I was in heaven.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Wine Fest and Cupcakes

8 Caitlin C. September 26, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Nice choice with the goat cheese! My favorite snacks are fruit + cottage cheese, wheat english muffin + Laughing Cow wedge, pears, and veggie chips + salsa.
Caitlin C. recently posted..Same Old Breakfast, Brand New Lasagna

9 Rebecca September 26, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Yummy looking salad. My favorite snacks are energy bars, apples, seaweed snacks and sometimes a small bowl of cereal.
Rebecca recently posted..WIAW #7 and Dinner Hosting!

10 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 26, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Somehow I missed that post about teaching! hope you’re having a great day in the classroom!
larabars are actually one of my fan snacks, especially dipped in a nut butter of some form :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Philadelphia half marathon training week 2

11 Hope September 26, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Your salad looks delicious! :) One of my favorite snacks as of lately has been a Kashi Peanut Bar. It’s so good! :)
Hope recently posted..A Weekend Gone By Too Quick…

12 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer September 26, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I just bought my first Larabar the other day. I got the Coconut Cream Pie one, but haven’t tried it yet. The Chocolate Cherry Torte one sounds good too.
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Unforeseen Circumstances

13 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health September 26, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Ooo I really like that workout!! I do something very similar, except I don’t decrease the recovery time- I’ll have to try that :)
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Supersets and Chicken for One

14 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 26, 2011 at 2:43 pm

For my afternoon snack, I like a Greek yogurt with some fruit added in. It fills me right up and holds me over ’til dinner.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Family Rivalry

15 Ruthie Hart September 26, 2011 at 3:24 pm

thanks for posting all of your treadmill workouts! I am going to try this one (but may have to modify the 9mph…my legs are short!)
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Church ladies with typewriters

16 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 26, 2011 at 4:12 pm

The second half of my morning smoothie! It is usually in the freezer all morning just waiting for me! … I like your afternoon snack though! Looks delightful!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Chia Seed TORNADO

17 Faith September 26, 2011 at 4:37 pm

smoothies are my newest thing. I used to just make them for breakfast but now they’re a great afternoon snack too.
Faith recently posted..Back Troubles Can’t Hold Me Down

18 Heather @ Girlyeverafter September 26, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I love hummus and pita chips for my snack. I have to make sure to divide it out though because I”ll eat it all in one sitting. it’s so good.
Heather @ Girlyeverafter recently posted..Black Bean and Farro Burgers

19 Diana September 26, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I’m having one of my favorite afternoon snacks right now – chobani 0% greek yogi, yummm!

One question I have: do you struggle with adjusting the speed during quick intervals like in your above workout? I feel like it takes me almost the entire recovery period for my grubby little fingers to finally push decrease speed enough times to even get to my recovery speed!
Diana recently posted..Welcome to my pretend studio!

20 Courtney September 26, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I know what you mean about switching the speeds, Diana!
Fortunately, my treadmill here at home has one-push buttons for speeds, so it’s a lot easier for me to switch back and forth than it would be with the up/down buttons.

21 Rachelle September 26, 2011 at 5:10 pm

For afternoon snacks I have many favorites. I like apple and almond butter, granola with dried fruit and nuts, hummus and mini pita or veggies, frozen berries, smoothies, bananas, almonds and raisins, frozen grapes and on a really hot day watermelon.

22 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled September 26, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I love afternoon snacks, probably even more than lunch. My most common go-to is plain Greek yogurt that I dress up with blueberry flaxseed, PB2 powder, almonds and raisins, defrosted frozen strawberries (gets all saucy) or granola. I love how versatile it is and keeps me full for a few hours.
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..Breaking Out

23 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine September 26, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I love Fiber One Brownies for a great mid-day snack!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Bacon & Chocolate – A Perfect Combination!

24 Maria@La_Piattini September 26, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I’ve been lovin nectarines sprinkled with chia seeds and a side of peanut butter.
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..September Date: The Yankees Win

25 Shana September 26, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I can already tell you are going to be a great personal trainer. You inspired me to mix up my routine and try the xtreme total body workout and I am, well, feeling it! Tomorrow should be interesting!
Shana recently posted..Happy Beer Day!

26 Courtney September 26, 2011 at 10:08 pm

That is SO nice of you to say, Shana! Thank you!! :)
I’m so glad you’re trying something new. Definitely prepare to be SORE…in a good way, of course lol!

27 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 26, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Great workout! :) My favorite afternoon snacks are usually an apple or carrots with peanut butter or some kind of a bar like a Luna Bar or a Larabar.
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..Week of Workouts

28 Katie @ Plates and Paste September 26, 2011 at 11:53 pm

A new one of mine is sunflower seeds and dried cranberries!
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Giving Back

29 Yolie @ Practising Wellness September 27, 2011 at 7:24 am

Oooh…I can’t wait to try that 20 minute workout- looks awesome! :-D And what a yummy lunch! It looks so fresh and vibrant and healthy and delicious! :-) xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..New Yawk shenanigans!

30 Amy September 27, 2011 at 5:58 pm

My fav afternoon snack is either greek yogurt or cottage cheese with blueberries and almonds. Yum!!!

31 Michele April 20, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Great workout and snack! I believe in High Intensity Training and I believe that it is the best way to lose weight on early stages and to keep it off when the goal is already attained. Of course you have to limit your food intake, but regular exercises burn your fat and give you a good shape. It is also vital to provide enough nutrition for your body, and I’ve found the perfect solution for that – military grade nutritional supplements. They give me perfect tone and energy, so I am always prepared for intensive workouts.

32 MASS TECH Review June 8, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I just couldn’t depart your website before suggesting that I extremely loved the usual info an individual provide for your visitors? Is going to be back frequently in order to check out new posts
MASS TECH Review recently posted..MASS TECH Review