I Made An Exception

by Courtney on September 28, 2011

Yesterday afternoon while I was grocery shopping, I came across a very exciting little item. I first saw Monica mention these, and then Shayla teased me with them. So when I saw them sitting on the shelf yesterday at my grocery store, I had no choice but to bring ‘em home with me…

Thomas’ Limited Edition Pumpkin Spice bagels! AND they were on sale. WOOP!

So I’m sure you’re not surprised when I tell you that I had one for breakfast this morning, right? Winking smile

I lightly toasted my bagel and topped it with a peanut butter-pumpkin mixture (about 1 tbsp of each) and some banana slices.

Honestly, I try not to buy bagels too often because I just can’t control myself with them (for this same reason, I should probably stop buying ice cream, but I still can’t seem to do that…); I would probably eat one at every meal if I could.

But since I prefer not to end up in a carb coma everyday, I usually end up buying some form of bagel or sandwich thins instead. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some bagel thins every now and then, but you can’t tell me that they’re anywhere close to being just as good as the real deal.

I mean, the fluff factor is the best part!

So since these pumpkin spice bagels are all limited edition and whatnot, I made an exception. And I will enjoy every single one of them…carbs, fluff and all. Smile

I’ll also tell you that they go perfectly with a delicious mug of homemade pumpkin spice coffee.

And are delicious fuel for a post workout session.

Workout

Today’s workout brought me to Day 10 (wow, already?!?) of the new challenge. The only workout on tap for today was yoga, so I ended up doing the same combo of yoga and HIIT on the treadmill that I did last week. It felt so good to stretch today; definitely perfect timing!

**Side Note: I’ve had a few of you get in touch with me to tell me that you’re also following along with the challenge. That is SO awesome, so props to you!

One of the questions I’ve been getting is regarding the recovery workouts: *If you are doing the challenge through an On Demand channel, the recovery workouts are actually the original, 20-minute 10lb. Slimdown workouts.

Alrighty folks, gotta jet! Have a GREAT Wednesday! Smile

Questions for the Morning:

WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE…

Bagels –OR- bagel thins?

Lightly toasted bagels/bread –OR- heavily toasted bagels/bread?

Peanut butter as a topping –OR- butter and jam as a topping?

1 chad @ thebreakupnote September 28, 2011 at 9:25 am

…the symmetry of your bagels makes my OCD smile…
chad @ thebreakupnote recently posted..I know this isn’t a “faith” blog, but…

2 Emmarie @ Bananas And Beer September 28, 2011 at 9:26 am

Hmmm, regular bagels, heavily toasted, lightly buttered. Yum.
Emmarie @ Bananas And Beer recently posted..Target Trip

3 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) September 28, 2011 at 9:30 am

“regular” bagels for sure! medium-toasted with peanut butter.
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Unplugging

4 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill September 28, 2011 at 9:32 am

Bagels, without a doubt! I totally agree that the fluff factor is the best part!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Picky Bars and Donut Ice Cream Sandwich

5 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 28, 2011 at 9:34 am

I just had a Thomas’ bagel for breakfast too. Whole wheat though not pumpkin spice unfortunately. They are a million times better than bagel thins but I hear ya on the self-control issue around them. If I have bagels on hand, I keep them in the freezer so grabbing one isn’t as easy ;)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Lemony broccoli apple raisin salad

6 Khushboo September 28, 2011 at 9:34 am

If my bagel is filling heavy, I’d rather go with bagel thins. Although pb&b need the real deal. Also i am loving your decor bowl on your coffee table!
Khushboo recently posted..Go for goal!

7 Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate September 28, 2011 at 9:35 am

What a festive seasonal treat! I am definitely a fan of peanut butter and love adding it to whatever I can! My latest obsession has been adding it to my daily bowl of Kellogg’s FiberPlus(R) cereal. Yum!

8 Kelly September 28, 2011 at 9:37 am

Those look delicious! I like regular bagels, heavily toasted, with a little bit of cream cheese. Yum!
Kelly recently posted..Embrace October!

9 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries September 28, 2011 at 9:37 am

Full carb bagel with cream cheese and jam, please!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..22 Years Ago Today

10 Cait @ Cait hates Cake September 28, 2011 at 9:39 am

Regular bagels – definitely. Lightly toasted with lots of melty butter.
Cait @ Cait hates Cake recently posted..Food Demo: Veganizing Paula Deen’s Recipes

11 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers September 28, 2011 at 9:40 am

So did they really taste all that pumpkiny? Thomas Bagels just went on sale at my local store and clearly, I’m not spending enough money on Pumpkin Beer.

Everything Bagels are my JAMMY JAM when I’m feeling like carbo loading. However, I don’t mind the bagel thins now and then when I want some of the bagel vibe, minus all that extra fluff n’ stuff.

I’m all about lightly toasting, and I can’t STAND the sound of knives scraping burnt bits off a bagel or toast. It’s like the bread is screaming.

Give me butter (sans peanuts) or give me death. I also like cream cheese every now and then.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Pure Barre: A Breakdown (by a First Timer)

12 TheBloggersBrother September 28, 2011 at 9:42 am

Are 4-cheese or pepperoni Bagel Bites an option here? Thats my pick

13 Shanna, like Banana September 28, 2011 at 9:47 am

I saw those on Shayla’s blog and am now on the hunt for them!

PB as my topping all the way — love lightly toasted bagels with the PB. It’s perfection!
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..WIAW–quick and dirty

14 Amanda September 28, 2011 at 9:55 am

Cinnamon Raisin Bagel Thins with 1/3 less fat Philadelphia cream cheese! At LEAST 3 times a week :)

15 Hope September 28, 2011 at 10:01 am

I need to find those bagels!! I keep seeing them everywhere in the blog world. I am definitely checking my supermarket. They are a must have!

I like my bagel lightly toasted with either jelly or peanut butter. It’s too hard for me to choose.
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: The Wedding Cake!…

16 Megan September 28, 2011 at 10:02 am

I love bagel thins (because of lower cals) but would prefer regular bagels with some yummy PB! I love how the PB melts on a warm toasted bagel…so yummy! Sometimes if I’m feeling crazy I add a little honey too :)

17 Kim @ The Family Practice September 28, 2011 at 10:04 am

Oh yum! I finally found some pumpkin beer last night… after several previous attempts, I was successful in bringing some home. I was soooo good, I got home, put in my workout, showered, ate dinner AND THEN had my first pumpkin beer of the season – it took every ounce of self control not to pop one open the second I got home!
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..A Box of Projects

18 Kelly @ Not So Rocky Road September 28, 2011 at 10:06 am

Why must y’all continuously tease me with these pumpkin bagels :)! I feel the same way you do about bagels and that’s why I don’t keep them in the house! Definitely prefer a real bagel over the thins! Level of toasting depends on the flavor, like a cinnamon raisin = lightly but an everything = heavily. PB or CC all the way!
Kelly @ Not So Rocky Road recently posted..8 MILES

19 Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly September 28, 2011 at 10:12 am

OMG I went to buy those bagels the other day and they were all sold out! SOOOO MAD! Instead I’ll just sit over my computer at work and drool over yours! :-)
Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly recently posted..I Got Running on My Mind

20 Traci September 28, 2011 at 10:15 am

Bagels –OR- bagel thins? Whole wheat bagels! But I do love bagel thins for everyday, not just a once in a while treat.
Lightly toasted bagels/bread –OR- heavily toasted bagels/bread? Lightly. I hate the burnt taste.
Peanut butter as a topping –OR- butter and jam as a topping? PB all the way!

Side note: I love how obsessed with pumpkin you are. It makes me feel more normal. Your blog is the first I’ve seen those pumpkin bagels on, and let me tell you, I might just run to the grocery store on my lunch break to grab some of those! I am so excited about these! haha

21 Danielle September 28, 2011 at 10:19 am

I need to look for these bagels later when I’m at the store! I really look forward to this time of year when there’s pumpkin flavored everything!
When I do get them I’m definitely a bagel girl; I am just left unsatisfied by bagel/sandwich thins! I like my bagels and toast verging on the heavily toasted and I usually go for butter and jam as my topping for breakfast! (don’t tell that to my jar of peanut butter!)
Danielle recently posted..Tuesday Goals

22 Ruthie Hart September 28, 2011 at 10:24 am

I think I just had a heart attack…pumpkin spice bagels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Love

23 Steph @ StephSnacks September 28, 2011 at 10:24 am

Pumpkin bagels!? Wow what a treat! I definitely prefer bagels lightly toasted with peanutbutter and jam ;)
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..I Got the Golden Ticket!

24 Jen September 28, 2011 at 10:53 am

1. Bagels!
2. Lightly toasted bagels, heavily toasted bread.
3. I love peanut butter, but I have to go with butter and jam. Perfection.
Jen recently posted..WIAW

25 Lindsey September 28, 2011 at 10:56 am

This may sound crazy, but bagel thins. Bagels are too much bread for me and I am all about the toppings :)
Lightly toasted, too much and it cuts my mouth and I am a wimp that way ;)
PB all the way, I never use butter on toast – yuck! haha. And jam – only in sandwiches ;)
Your breakfast is the perfect fall breakfast! I love it!
Lindsey recently posted..Melissa’s Road Race Recap

26 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 28, 2011 at 11:00 am

I might have to make a pit stop at the grocery store today & check to see if my store has them! They look delicious!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers

27 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 28, 2011 at 11:29 am

Bagel thins! Really, I love carbs but I don’t like the ultar thick bread. Even when I was younger I’d pinch my bread so that it would be thin before taking a bite! I really want to try those pumpkin spice ones, though. Sound delicious!

28 Char September 28, 2011 at 11:31 am

I’d say full bagel FOR SURE – go big or go home. And, I’m sooo with you on the fluff factor – biting into that fluff factor makes it worth having the full bagel. I tend to steer clear of bagels, too, but I do buy bread. For some reason, a loaf of bread can last me anywhere from a month to two months…in the freezer, of course!
Char recently posted..pre-race freak outs

29 Katherine September 28, 2011 at 11:35 am

Ahhh I’m the same way with bagels and ice cream. I just can’t stop once I start! The pumpkin spice bagels look amazing!
Katherine recently posted..The Normal One

30 Shayla @ The Good Life September 28, 2011 at 11:39 am

YAAAAY!!! So happy you found them!! Girl aren’t they amazing?! I buy bagel thins for the exact same reason you described, carb coma is a beast, but I made the exception too for those since they’re limited edition…and you can’t beat that fluff factor! ;)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Ferry Building Marketplace Fun

31 Shayla @ The Good Life September 28, 2011 at 11:40 am

Thanks for the shout out to girly ;)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Ferry Building Marketplace Fun

32 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 28, 2011 at 11:56 am

holy goodness, I NEED. TO. FIND. THOSE. BAGELS!
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Get It Right [Grammar Edition]

33 Heather @ Girlyeverafter September 28, 2011 at 11:56 am

Full Bagels all the way! I don’t mind a bagel thin if the rest of my meal has a lot going on, but I will always go for a full bagel. I love bread too much to skimp out. I hope my grocery store has pumpkin spice bagels, that sounds great!
Heather @ Girlyeverafter recently posted..WIAW and Morning Workouts for Better Sleep

34 Katie @ Plates and Paste September 28, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Bagels and lightly toasted! And I’m a cream cheese kinda girl :) Bring on the schmear!
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Dinner for One

35 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 28, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Oh boy, I definitely need to find me some of those pumpkin bagels! They sound so good! I don’t buy bagels often either because like you said, I could easily eat them for every meal. Plus, they can be a little more pricey.

1. I prefer bagels definitely for the taste factor. Bagel thins for the health factor. ;)
2. Lightly toasted! I like a little dough-iness too.
3. Peanut butter wins, hands down.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Pizza… Grill Style

36 Jess@atasteofconfidence September 28, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I like the real thing or nothing..bagels! lightly toasted, and PB!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..our trip: the fighting irish

37 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life September 28, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I bought those bagels too and they are amazing! I also got a cinnamon sugar grinder thing to sprinkle on top. So good!

I’m for lightly toasted all the way. I hate burnt pieces on my bread.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Kicking off a Five Day Weekend

38 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun September 28, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I must find those!!!! And I think regular bagels are worth it…and can easily be part of a well proportioned breakfast. Yours looks perfectly balanced and like something you could eat regularly. :)
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Stuffed With Emptiness

39 Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts September 28, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I think I am going to do the Xtreme Challenge with you. Well, not WITH you, but I think I am going to start it after my race this weekend. I took a look at the workout on Exercise TV and they seem like great total body workouts (which is what I need – I tend to neglect my lower body most of the time). I tried the quickie “Bonus Buns” workout this morning and I liked it! Thanks for sharing this!!

As for your questions, I would rather….
– Have a real bagel (if I’m being bad). If I’m being good, bagel thins are the bomb.
– Have it lightly toasted, fo sho.
– Have either JUST butter (I don’t do jam) or peanut butter. But no jam, ma’am.
Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts recently posted..The Wine & Dine Half

40 Courtney September 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm

AWESOME!!! :-D

41 Melissa September 28, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I usually go for bagel thins, but sometimes a regular bagel hits the spot. I like a heavy toast so I get crunch on the outside and chewy bagel inside. The topping depends heavily on my mood and the type of bagel. If I’m going all out, a salt or asiago bagel toasted with real butter is pretty much perfection in my book. Then again, I wouldn’t turn down one of Panera’s French Toast bagels topped with pretty much anything!
Melissa recently posted..Glamorous

42 Samantha September 28, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I can’t wait to do a stretch workout tomorrow after all this strength training I’ve been doing lately! My body is sore and tired and so not used to this! It’s like, “Why are we doing this and not just running instead?” LOL

I would rather have a real bagel. No matter how hard I try I cannot get bagel thins to come out right.

Speaking of coming out right, lightly toasted all the way. Perhaps for bagel thins I need to change my toaster settings (duh, that’s a total blonde moment on my part).

Peanut butter all the way!
Samantha recently posted..The Return of Monday Love

43 Ann September 28, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Pepperidge Farm has pumpkin spice bread, too!! It’s so good!!

44 Courtney September 28, 2011 at 3:06 pm

ooooo really??? YUM! :)

45 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed September 28, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I think you must have found those in my dreams. Holy hell, I want those. Preferably with honeyed walnut cream cheese.
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..I Don’t Want To Know What’s In Your Nightstand…fall back wednesday.

46 Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies September 28, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Bagel thins, lightly toasted! Actually, I love the fluffy bagels the most, but they wreak havoc on my diet plans ;) I only get them at Einstein’s for a serious splurge!! I’m so excited about pumpkin bagels though… I don’t think I’ll be able to resist!
Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies recently posted..Moda Monday

47 Julie September 28, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I’m with you, bagel things, while delicious and less carb-y, are no substitue for the real thing. Sometimes a girls just gotta have a bagel. :) When the craving strikes I’m all about Panera or Big Apple Bagels! (they have the BEST breakfast bagel sandwiches for pretty cheap).

48 Courtney September 28, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I’ve never heard of Big Apple Bagels, but it sounds delicious! :)

49 Julie September 28, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I checked…the only one in New York is in Marcy!

50 Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection September 28, 2011 at 1:46 pm

-Bagel thins
-Heavily toasted
-Peanut butter!!
Usually at least one of the WYR questions makes me think twice, but these were all easy to answer! :)
Danica @ It’s Progression Not Perfection recently posted..WIAW#4

51 Jenny September 28, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Seriously m yfavorite meal is an everything bagel with veggie cream cheese. BUt I don’t let myself have it very often because of the carb-coma (as you so poetically said). On a daily basis though, love the bagel thins !
Jenny recently posted..Rub Down

52 Alison @ Hospitality Haven September 28, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Very cool – never heard of pumpkin spice bagels! I’d rather have a lightly toasted bagel topped with peanut butter. :)
Alison @ Hospitality Haven recently posted..Chickpea Curry

53 Jessica Lee September 28, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Oh man, never seen those! Ill have to find them. I’m a fan of Thomas’s bagels, they are really thick and not too many calories. I really really LOVE panera bagels and the hazelnut spread, or the honey walnut. I ate those twice a week for about 2 months and no weight gain :) I’m not “afraid” of bagels anymore. THANK GOD! Haha.
Jessica Lee recently posted..another day in the life of freedom

54 Brittany September 28, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Wow I’ve never seen those before!
I like bagel thins, lightly toasted, and peanut butter :D

55 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! September 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Yumm!!! I definitely need to try these!!
Andrea @ Andrea out loud! recently posted..Stomach Ick

56 Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 28, 2011 at 2:49 pm

WANT!!!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Fall TV Roundup

57 Amanda @ Fashionably Plate September 28, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I usually only buy bagel thins too but I love pumpkin. It looks like I will have to make an exception as well!
Amanda @ Fashionably Plate recently posted..WIAW: Quirks

58 Erica September 28, 2011 at 3:49 pm

i usually only buy bagel thins, but i find them not very filling…i do enjoy a regular bagel when i go out though!

i like my stuff well toasted!!!

butter and jam…or cream cheese!
Erica recently posted..weekend recap…the good, the bad, the ugly

59 Colleen September 28, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I’m so picky about toasted-ness. I like everything toasted and rarely eat “raw” bread, except for rolls :)
Colleen recently posted..WIAW + U.S. Dietary Guidelines Tidbits

60 Amy September 28, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I so wish these wrere gluten free they look so good.
I’d rather lightly toasted with peanut butter. love me some peanut or almond butter.

61 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled September 28, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I love me some bagel, but rarely eat them. You are totally right about the fluff factor. That’s what always does it for me with any type of breadish item.

Bagels should be lightly toasted. It gives the outside a slight crunch, yet keeps the insides all fluffy and soft. Now that is a perfect bagel!
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..Weigh-in Wednesday

62 Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 28, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I completely agree with you. I enjoy bagel thins, but I don’t consider them to be a substitution for the real deal! :)

And I had no idea that they sold pumpkin bagels … I SO need to look for those!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..WIAW and my glorified “Noodle.”

63 Maria@La_Piattini September 28, 2011 at 7:02 pm

You’re the second blogger to mention these pumpkin bagels! I hope to find them at the grocery store this weekend. Last weekend I went to get fresh bagels and they had a sign about pumpkin bagels. I was so excited..step up to order…and they’re sold out! So now of course I really want them!
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..Bird Pose No More

64 Lizzie September 28, 2011 at 8:13 pm

i’d totally take a bagel over bagel thins anyday!
and i neeed to try those! i looove pumpkin!!
Lizzie recently posted..Blogroll!

65 Pamela September 28, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I love all the pumpkin in this post! I was actually just at Acme (buying icecream as a treat to myself for working three 12-hr shifts in a row – guilty) and I looked for these pumpkin bagels, but no luck! Which grocery store did you find them at? I usually prefer bagels, but I like sandwiches on everything bagel thins.
Pamela recently posted..Yacht Club

66 Courtney September 28, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I found them at Price Chopper!

67 Kellie Wagner September 28, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I’ve been crazy about pumpkin since my first Starbucks sip this season. Thanks for this mention. I’ll definitely check these out next time I’m at the store. You rock!
Kellie Wagner recently posted..Jersey Rules

68 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 28, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I would rather have a real bagel, heavily toasted bread, and peanut butter as a topping! :)
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..Four to Go

69 Olivia September 29, 2011 at 2:57 am

I didn’t even know they made these! I’m going to have to try them asap. P.S. anybody who doesn’t pick peanut butter as a topping is craaaaazy!
Olivia recently posted..Girls rock

70 Sam @ Sam Bock Illustration & Design September 29, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Those bagels look AMAZING!

I had read about your Xtreme 10 Lb Slimdown challenge, but I just assumed I didn’t have Exercise TV. Well, I looked last night after getting home from BodyPump and saw that I in fact DO! So since I can’t make it to the gym later tonight, I work up early today to get a lil sweat on, and did the total body workout. I just used 5 lb weights since I did Pump twice this week and want to recover, but this was still good! It was a good way to get a workout in today…now I won’t feel so bad about indulging in some beer at a hockey game tonight ;) But thanks for exposing me to these videos! I will definitely be checking more out.
Sam @ Sam Bock Illustration & Design recently posted..Give Me Everything Tonight

71 Liz September 29, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I still haven’t grabbed these yet. They’re worth it, though? Really pumpkiny? BTW… apple cider cupcakes look awesome :)
Liz recently posted..Chocolate Chip Pancake Cookies

72 Laura @ Unchartered 20s September 30, 2011 at 5:27 pm

haha this meal is pumpkin-riffic!! :) I have to find these bagels!!
Laura @ Unchartered 20s recently posted..Babble babble

73 Brittany @ Life of a Bama Girl October 1, 2011 at 10:49 am

I must try these bagels!

I like both bagels and thins but if I have to choose then bagels. I like lightly toasted and peanut butter!
Brittany @ Life of a Bama Girl recently posted..Almost finished moving in!