I Made An Exception

Yesterday afternoon while I was grocery shopping, I came across a very exciting little item. I first saw Monica mention these, and then Shayla teased me with them. So when I saw them sitting on the shelf yesterday at my grocery store, I had no choice but to bring ‘em home with me…

Thomas’ Limited Edition Pumpkin Spice bagels! AND they were on sale. WOOP!

So I’m sure you’re not surprised when I tell you that I had one for breakfast this morning, right? Winking smile

I lightly toasted my bagel and topped it with a peanut butter-pumpkin mixture (about 1 tbsp of each) and some banana slices.

Honestly, I try not to buy bagels too often because I just can’t control myself with them (for this same reason, I should probably stop buying ice cream, but I still can’t seem to do that…); I would probably eat one at every meal if I could.

But since I prefer not to end up in a carb coma everyday, I usually end up buying some form of bagel or sandwich thins instead. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some bagel thins every now and then, but you can’t tell me that they’re anywhere close to being just as good as the real deal.

I mean, the fluff factor is the best part!

So since these pumpkin spice bagels are all limited edition and whatnot, I made an exception. And I will enjoy every single one of them…carbs, fluff and all. Smile

I’ll also tell you that they go perfectly with a delicious mug of homemade pumpkin spice coffee.

And are delicious fuel for a post workout session.

Workout

Today’s workout brought me to Day 10 (wow, already?!?) of the new challenge. The only workout on tap for today was yoga, so I ended up doing the same combo of yoga and HIIT on the treadmill that I did last week. It felt so good to stretch today; definitely perfect timing!

**Side Note: I’ve had a few of you get in touch with me to tell me that you’re also following along with the challenge. That is SO awesome, so props to you!

One of the questions I’ve been getting is regarding the recovery workouts: *If you are doing the challenge through an On Demand channel, the recovery workouts are actually the original, 20-minute 10lb. Slimdown workouts.

Alrighty folks, gotta jet! Have a GREAT Wednesday! Smile

Questions for the Morning:

WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE…

Bagels –OR- bagel thins?

Lightly toasted bagels/bread –OR- heavily toasted bagels/bread?

Peanut butter as a topping –OR- butter and jam as a topping?

Comments

So did they really taste all that pumpkiny? Thomas Bagels just went on sale at my local store and clearly, I’m not spending enough money on Pumpkin Beer.

Everything Bagels are my JAMMY JAM when I’m feeling like carbo loading. However, I don’t mind the bagel thins now and then when I want some of the bagel vibe, minus all that extra fluff n’ stuff.

I’m all about lightly toasting, and I can’t STAND the sound of knives scraping burnt bits off a bagel or toast. It’s like the bread is screaming.

Give me butter (sans peanuts) or give me death. I also like cream cheese every now and then.
    Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Pure Barre: A Breakdown (by a First Timer)

2. Megan says

I love bagel thins (because of lower cals) but would prefer regular bagels with some yummy PB! I love how the PB melts on a warm toasted bagel…so yummy! Sometimes if I’m feeling crazy I add a little honey too :)

Oh yum! I finally found some pumpkin beer last night… after several previous attempts, I was successful in bringing some home. I was soooo good, I got home, put in my workout, showered, ate dinner AND THEN had my first pumpkin beer of the season – it took every ounce of self control not to pop one open the second I got home!
    Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..A Box of Projects

Why must y’all continuously tease me with these pumpkin bagels :)! I feel the same way you do about bagels and that’s why I don’t keep them in the house! Definitely prefer a real bagel over the thins! Level of toasting depends on the flavor, like a cinnamon raisin = lightly but an everything = heavily. PB or CC all the way!
    Kelly @ Not So Rocky Road recently posted..8 MILES

5. Traci says

Bagels –OR- bagel thins? Whole wheat bagels! But I do love bagel thins for everyday, not just a once in a while treat.
    Lightly toasted bagels/bread –OR- heavily toasted bagels/bread? Lightly. I hate the burnt taste.
    Peanut butter as a topping –OR- butter and jam as a topping? PB all the way!

Side note: I love how obsessed with pumpkin you are. It makes me feel more normal. Your blog is the first I’ve seen those pumpkin bagels on, and let me tell you, I might just run to the grocery store on my lunch break to grab some of those! I am so excited about these! haha

I need to look for these bagels later when I’m at the store! I really look forward to this time of year when there’s pumpkin flavored everything!
    When I do get them I’m definitely a bagel girl; I am just left unsatisfied by bagel/sandwich thins! I like my bagels and toast verging on the heavily toasted and I usually go for butter and jam as my topping for breakfast! (don’t tell that to my jar of peanut butter!)
    Danielle recently posted..Tuesday Goals

7. Ruthie Hart says

I think I just had a heart attack…pumpkin spice bagels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ruthie Hart recently posted..Love

This may sound crazy, but bagel thins. Bagels are too much bread for me and I am all about the toppings :)
    Lightly toasted, too much and it cuts my mouth and I am a wimp that way 😉
    PB all the way, I never use butter on toast – yuck! haha. And jam – only in sandwiches 😉
    Your breakfast is the perfect fall breakfast! I love it!
    Lindsey recently posted..Melissa’s Road Race Recap

Bagel thins! Really, I love carbs but I don’t like the ultar thick bread. Even when I was younger I’d pinch my bread so that it would be thin before taking a bite! I really want to try those pumpkin spice ones, though. Sound delicious!

I’d say full bagel FOR SURE – go big or go home. And, I’m sooo with you on the fluff factor – biting into that fluff factor makes it worth having the full bagel. I tend to steer clear of bagels, too, but I do buy bread. For some reason, a loaf of bread can last me anywhere from a month to two months…in the freezer, of course!
    Char recently posted..pre-race freak outs

Oh boy, I definitely need to find me some of those pumpkin bagels! They sound so good! I don’t buy bagels often either because like you said, I could easily eat them for every meal. Plus, they can be a little more pricey.

1. I prefer bagels definitely for the taste factor. Bagel thins for the health factor. 😉
    2. Lightly toasted! I like a little dough-iness too.
    3. Peanut butter wins, hands down.
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Pizza… Grill Style

I think I am going to do the Xtreme Challenge with you. Well, not WITH you, but I think I am going to start it after my race this weekend. I took a look at the workout on Exercise TV and they seem like great total body workouts (which is what I need – I tend to neglect my lower body most of the time). I tried the quickie “Bonus Buns” workout this morning and I liked it! Thanks for sharing this!!

As for your questions, I would rather….
    – Have a real bagel (if I’m being bad). If I’m being good, bagel thins are the bomb.
    – Have it lightly toasted, fo sho.
    – Have either JUST butter (I don’t do jam) or peanut butter. But no jam, ma’am.
    Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts recently posted..The Wine & Dine Half

I usually go for bagel thins, but sometimes a regular bagel hits the spot. I like a heavy toast so I get crunch on the outside and chewy bagel inside. The topping depends heavily on my mood and the type of bagel. If I’m going all out, a salt or asiago bagel toasted with real butter is pretty much perfection in my book. Then again, I wouldn’t turn down one of Panera’s French Toast bagels topped with pretty much anything!
    Melissa recently posted..Glamorous

I can’t wait to do a stretch workout tomorrow after all this strength training I’ve been doing lately! My body is sore and tired and so not used to this! It’s like, “Why are we doing this and not just running instead?” LOL

I would rather have a real bagel. No matter how hard I try I cannot get bagel thins to come out right.

Speaking of coming out right, lightly toasted all the way. Perhaps for bagel thins I need to change my toaster settings (duh, that’s a total blonde moment on my part).

Peanut butter all the way!
    Samantha recently posted..The Return of Monday Love

Bagel thins, lightly toasted! Actually, I love the fluffy bagels the most, but they wreak havoc on my diet plans 😉 I only get them at Einstein’s for a serious splurge!! I’m so excited about pumpkin bagels though… I don’t think I’ll be able to resist!
    Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies recently posted..Moda Monday

16. Julie says

I’m with you, bagel things, while delicious and less carb-y, are no substitue for the real thing. Sometimes a girls just gotta have a bagel. :) When the craving strikes I’m all about Panera or Big Apple Bagels! (they have the BEST breakfast bagel sandwiches for pretty cheap).

Seriously m yfavorite meal is an everything bagel with veggie cream cheese. BUt I don’t let myself have it very often because of the carb-coma (as you so poetically said). On a daily basis though, love the bagel thins !
    Jenny recently posted..Rub Down

Oh man, never seen those! Ill have to find them. I’m a fan of Thomas’s bagels, they are really thick and not too many calories. I really really LOVE panera bagels and the hazelnut spread, or the honey walnut. I ate those twice a week for about 2 months and no weight gain :) I’m not “afraid” of bagels anymore. THANK GOD! Haha.
    Jessica Lee recently posted..another day in the life of freedom

19. Amy says

I so wish these wrere gluten free they look so good.
    I’d rather lightly toasted with peanut butter. love me some peanut or almond butter.

I love me some bagel, but rarely eat them. You are totally right about the fluff factor. That’s what always does it for me with any type of breadish item.

Bagels should be lightly toasted. It gives the outside a slight crunch, yet keeps the insides all fluffy and soft. Now that is a perfect bagel!
    Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..Weigh-in Wednesday

You’re the second blogger to mention these pumpkin bagels! I hope to find them at the grocery store this weekend. Last weekend I went to get fresh bagels and they had a sign about pumpkin bagels. I was so excited..step up to order…and they’re sold out! So now of course I really want them!
    Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..Bird Pose No More

I love all the pumpkin in this post! I was actually just at Acme (buying icecream as a treat to myself for working three 12-hr shifts in a row – guilty) and I looked for these pumpkin bagels, but no luck! Which grocery store did you find them at? I usually prefer bagels, but I like sandwiches on everything bagel thins.
    Pamela recently posted..Yacht Club

Those bagels look AMAZING!

I had read about your Xtreme 10 Lb Slimdown challenge, but I just assumed I didn’t have Exercise TV. Well, I looked last night after getting home from BodyPump and saw that I in fact DO! So since I can’t make it to the gym later tonight, I work up early today to get a lil sweat on, and did the total body workout. I just used 5 lb weights since I did Pump twice this week and want to recover, but this was still good! It was a good way to get a workout in today…now I won’t feel so bad about indulging in some beer at a hockey game tonight 😉 But thanks for exposing me to these videos! I will definitely be checking more out.
    Sam @ Sam Bock Illustration & Design recently posted..Give Me Everything Tonight

Trackbacks