Pumpkin Ale Rocks

This afternoon, after Jay and I finished the errands that needed to be done, we ended up being total lazy bums. We laid on the couch together, with Cody of course, switching back and forth between watching the Travel Channel and the Food Network for a good hour before finally dozing off.

Seriously, what is with me and these afternoon naps? I never used to be an afternoon napper!

Sure enough, we both awoke hungry and ready for some dinner. But since neither of us are ever in the mood to cook at home on a Saturday, we decided to head out for a little date night at Brown’s Brewing Co.

The weather around here today is downright damp and chilly, so I figured it was as good a time as any to break out one of my favorite fall essentials

The UGG boots are BACK, baby! Open-mouthed smile

*****

Jay and I arrived pretty early at Brown’s (5:15ish) so we figured it’d be fairly calm, but sure enough, the bar area was already hoppin’!

We were given a 40-45 minute wait, so we decided to just head to the bar area to grab a beer. Typically, I’m excited to head to Brown’s for their amazing Cherry Raspberry Ale, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had a couple new seasonal items on tap today.

As soon as I saw that list, there was no doubt in my mind that I was going for the Pumpkin Ale…and I have no doubt that this guy has no clue that he ended up being the creeper in the background of my pumpkin ale picture. Winking smile

I went with the Pumpkin Ale, while Jay decided on the Octoberfest., and after trying both, I was definitely happy with my decision. Their pumpkin ale may possibly be my favorite one yet; it had a slight hint of cinnamon and nutmeg and was just totally delicious. I think if they ended up serving it with a cinnamon-sugar coated rim on the glass, I’d probably go nuts.

We only got about halfway through our beers before our table was ready (only about a 20-minute wait – score!), so we gladly took our seat and got ready to order.

Despite there being a good variety of pumpkin items on the specialty menu, I decided to go a different route.

I went with the Chicken Rustica- breaded chicken breast with provolone cheese, roasted red peppers, pesto mayonnaise and leaf lettuce on a grilled flat bread.” I subbed grilled chicken for breaded and garlic mayo for the pesto mayo, and it was, by far, an amazing sandwich.

It was also a pretty enormous sandwich, so I ended up eating half and wrapping up the other half in lieu of dominating the amazing sweet potato fries.

I ate every last fry on my plate…

And then I went for a few on Jay’s plate too (he ordered the Trojan Pulled Pork – also delicious).

Everything was just phenomenal tonight.

*****

On our way home, we ended up making a pit stop at Redbox and picked up Blue Valentine to watch tonight (there was not much of a selection at all…). Hopefully it’s a decent movie, but even if not, it’s okay; it’s already been a pretty darn fantastic day!

Question for the Evening:

When ordering meals out at restaurants, are you more likely to make a substitution to the original menu item, or just order as-is?

I am notorious for always having to make some sort of substitution. Thankfully, Jay has come to accept and expect it…but I very rarely end up ordering something as-is!

Comments

I’m known to not only make a substitution, but to just make my own meal altogether! I’ll typically look over a menu then ask them to recreate a meal by combining different menu items. I love it when restaurants are willing to meet my demands–I mean requests. 😉
    Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Boy Crazy

I am not a picky eater at all, but I can tell you that I don’t ever order as-is ever! I usually make some hefty substitutions … but never something that I think cannot be handle by the restaurant. Everyone that knows me, knows it, they expect it … I like ordering last … I always want to see what the other people order in case I need to be a copy cat … which I rarely am, however it is somehow comforting to me to order last … :)
    J @ … semplicemente j … recently posted..… only 2 miles … and I feel fine!

3. Erin says

My fiance and I just watched Blue Valentine last night actually, a bit depressing as I am sure you have just found out :)
    About substitutions on menu items, I figure we don’t eat out much (due to the expense and the fact that I think I can cook things better at home most of the time) so why not make a substitution now and then and get what I want?

• Courtney says

Yeah, we didn’t care much for the movie. Very depressing…and still can’t figure out why they called it Blue Valentine?!?!?!

• Courtney says

Oh my gosh…it was 44 degrees on the way to dinner tonight! FORTY FOUR! I love fall and all, but I am not ready for sub-50’s quite yet! 😉

Now that’s what I call a sandwich! Can you believe I’ve never tried sweet potato fries besides at home! No restaurant here offers it on the menu gah! I am the queen of substitutions! Before I start rambling I always warn my fellow diners and waiter that it could take a while..and then ask the waiter to repeat the order so we’re on the same page! Totally would have ordered that chicken as grilled too :)
    Khushboo recently posted..Week 1 recap

I’ve always been a picky eater so I make substitutions alllllll the time. It annoys me so much that sometimes I won’t eat out because I’m tired of asking to change whatever I order. My husband is so patient and will order for me if I’m embarrassed or frustrated and has been known to even send it back politely if they got it wrong (happens about half the time). I sometimes wish I was able to eat “normal” things…but it’s rare for a restaurant to have items on the menu that I’m able to eat w/out changing. I just need to suck it up and deal. My body, my food.
    Faith recently posted..Betcha Don’t Know This

I’m really glad someone else shares the same pumpkin obsession as me. But I think the switch up with the garlic breaded chicken sandwich was an awesome choice! After this week…. http://beingfartedon.wordpress.com/… I may have to do the same thing myself. ha ha.

I am definitely a notorious substitutor. (sp?) Guess we just know what we want!
    Kaitlyn recently posted..obsessions

You look so gorgeous Courtney!

I am notorious too for always making changes to a meal…there’s always something about a dish that I have to change either it be the sauce or the way the meat is cooked, like you I would have definitely changed it from breaded to grilled chicken. Thankfully, after 8 years together, the hubby has come to accept and expect it from me too 😉
    Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Friday (Fives) Lovin’

8. Amy says

Hubbys finally gotten used to me asking for all my subsitutions and my dressings on the side now he does it too.
    He used to joke that I was a waiters worst nightmare.
    Gosh 44 degrees is freezing. I thought 75 in Florida was cold today.

Oh I am so behind in my reading!

I love Pumpkin Ale – the first one I had last fall had a cinnamon sugar coated rim, and I’m headed to the same place this coming Friday – you know what I’m ordering!

I don’t order substitutions often – but I’m not picky, AT ALL. I’ll pretty much eat anything!
    Samantha recently posted..Monday Monday