Past Its Due Date

by Courtney on October 2, 2011

Last night as we were going to bed, I informed Jay that he was going to be “surprising” me with pancakes for breakfast in the morning. Yes, I had a strong hankering for pancakes at 12:30am, and the thought of having them for breakfast sounded just incredible.

Of course, I was only slightly kidding, as pancakes aren’t really his thing. However, when I went out to the kitchen, I found him actually attempting them for me. What a guy!

Unfortunately, the batter was a total fail. He used Bisquick as the base of his pancakes, which we’ve done before and they’re great, but our Bisquick was wayyyyy past its due date. Like, almost a year past…woops.

So we put a kibosh on the pancakes.

But then Jay went all Omelet Master on me (<—it’s so funny to compare our old and new kitchens in these two posts)

And we had some amazing omelets for breakfast!

While Jay got to work on the food, I sipped on my mug of coffee and got to work on some coupon clipping. Let me tell you, there was a crapload of awesome coupons today, and I’m pretty excited. You guys know I love my coupons. Winking smile

A short while later, breakfast attempt #2 was served.

Jay prepared me an egg white omelet with peppers, onions, tomatoes, spinach, and a light sprinkle of shredded mozzarella cheese. Oh, it was perfection.

My guy knows how to make a serious omelet.

Yeah, I knew there was a reason I married him. Winking smile

*****

This afternoon, we’re heading out to celebrate another Football Sunday and rumor has it that Mal is making one of her fantastic recipes today. I’m telling you, it’s the best ever!

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

Questions for the Morning:

Will you be watching any football today?

Are you a coupon clipper?

How long do you usually keep certain foods past their due date?

1 Sweet and Savvy October 2, 2011 at 11:08 am

I LOVE coupons! I do not know how people can resist using them! I mean… it’s free money! :)

Your omelet looks AMAZING! Egg whites, cheese, and peppers are my favorite savory breakfasts [or anytime] combination!
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Pumpkin Pie for Breakfast

2 Shari @ The Daily Dish October 2, 2011 at 11:08 am

I love when my guy gets up and decides he wants to cook breakfast for me. It’s the best. :) Have a fabulous Sunday!
Shari @ The Daily Dish recently posted..Bin 36

3 Liz October 2, 2011 at 11:14 am

This morning when I looked at the paper, I said, “whoaaa, holy coupons!” Guess my local paper wasn’t the only one sharing the savings this morning :)
Liz recently posted..Making marathon training fun

4 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine October 2, 2011 at 11:23 am

I used to coupon, and then I realized it’s cheaper to just buy the store brand stuff. I definitely keep things past their due date – particularly milk – as long as it smells ok, I’m keeping it.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..WIAW – A Little Late to the Party!

5 Khushboo October 2, 2011 at 11:30 am

Proof that men respond better to direct requests rather than hints :)- super sweet of him! I usually do the scent test- if it smells alright, I’ll eat it regardless of ‘expiry date’! I think this mentality comes from 14 years of living in Nigeria: most foods didn’t come with an expiry date so it was up to the consumer to decide whether it was edible or not!
Khushboo recently posted..Week 1 recap

6 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign October 2, 2011 at 11:40 am

Your kitchen transformation is amazing! I bet you love cooking in there!

Clipping coupons and sipping coffee is one of my favorite sunday-morning activities!
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Random Recent Eats

7 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance October 2, 2011 at 11:40 am

Aw! Jay is too adorable! (I’m showing Will this post later ;) )
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Five Survey & Blog Pages

8 Lisa @ I'm an Okie October 2, 2011 at 11:44 am

Looks delicious! You are a lucky lady to be with an omelette extradordinair! (definitely don’t know how to spell that!)
Lisa @ I’m an Okie recently posted..The best of Taylor Mali

9 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health October 2, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I should really start using coupons! I’m generally too lazy to clip them haha. You are so lucky to have such an awesome man…that’s so sweet that he attempted pancakes for you! Bahh, I can’t wait to see my boyfriend later this week :D…6 weeks without seeing him is a long time!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..October Goal

10 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 2, 2011 at 12:53 pm

My paper had a ton of coupons this week too… love that!

I usually give my foods a few weeks after the expiration date… depending on what it is!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..A Festive Fall Day

11 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 2, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I’m pretty sure that Wednesday is the ONLY day of the week I don’t watch football during the season. THe husband is a football coach and he is usually sweet and we watch Modern Family instead of football on Wednesdays- how sweet of him! ;)
PS-I looked at that picture of the old vs. new kitchen and…….. you are one lucky girl that new kitchen is sooooooo beautiful!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Deep Breath… Here it goes (part II)

12 jordan @ thedancingdonut October 2, 2011 at 1:09 pm

i recently became obsessed with coupon clipping and i love it!! sometimes it encourages me to buy things i don’t necessarily need, but then i’m always glad i bought them.
jordan @ thedancingdonut recently posted..are you sure it’s october.

13 Leslie October 2, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Ooo yummy omelet, that looks amazing!! How as Blue Valentine? I have been meaning to see it but am not sure if we’ll like it, let us know!

14 Courtney October 2, 2011 at 2:12 pm

We actually did not enjoy it much at all! Very strange…not much of a story…wouldn’t recommend it.

15 Lauren October 2, 2011 at 1:43 pm

We do the exact same thing every Sunday. Eat a wonderful breakfast together and cut coupons. It’s a ritual.
Lauren recently posted..Another Trip to the ER

16 Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl October 2, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I try to use most of our foods before the due date, but sometimes I’ll let them go a little after (like a week or two) if they don’t smell or taste funky. Depends on the product though. We watching football ALL day on Sundays and we’ll also be tuning into Game 2 of the NLDS tonight at 8:30pm (sparing the names for your brother, haha!). I’m a sometimes coupon clipper. It takes forever and I get impatient. Hah.
Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl recently posted..Feels Like Fall Weekend

17 Bianca @A Healthy Gourmet Lifestyle October 2, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I’m so jealous of that omelet, it looks so good! I’m showing this to my boyfriend later so maybe he’ll get the hint to start perfecting omelets now that he’s perfected making scrambled eggs :)
Bianca @A Healthy Gourmet Lifestyle recently posted..Oh, the College Life

18 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 2, 2011 at 3:24 pm

My husband is a die hard Bears’ fan, so we’ve been watching (I have a little, along with reading blogs :) ) the game. It’s a Sunday ritual!

I’m not an avid coupon clipper, but if I see good ones, I’ll definitely clip them out and use them.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Wedding Fun!

19 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 2, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I want to be good at clipping coupons, but I have no idea how! I think you need to teach a class! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Reflecting on September and “Whatcha Reading?”

20 Leah @ LoftyBites October 2, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I am a coupon clipper! I love a good bargain and feel good when I can use coupons. I also love when my guy makes breakfast too :) Heading out to watch football now. Have a great Sunday!

21 Rosa - Fitness Food Fulfilled October 2, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Love your kitchen! Those cabinets and countertop together are so beautiful.

I’m so bad about keeping things past their due date. I never even think about it with things that are in powder form (like Bisquick). I try to go through the cabinets at least once a year, but that doesn’t always work out.
Rosa – Fitness Food Fulfilled recently posted..First Half Marathon Conquered!

22 Katy October 2, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I just became a coupon person. Every time I use one I feel like I’m some how getting away with something.
Katy recently posted..If Peeing your pants is cool…

23 Stellina October 2, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I usually throw my food out once its expired! Something about not eating it fresh gives me the heebie jeebies!

24 Jess @ Jess Go Bananas October 2, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I <3 Coupons!!!!
Jess @ Jess Go Bananas recently posted..Put A Little Fall in Your Heart

25 Nikki @ The Legalista October 2, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Oh my goodness, that omelet looks SO good. You certainly have a great chef for a husband! That totally inspired my breakfast for tomorrow morning :-)

XOXO
Nikki @ The Legalista recently posted..How About A Nice Virus With That Smoothie

26 Hope October 3, 2011 at 9:28 am

Aw, your husband is so cute to attempt to make you pancakes. :)

I am a total coupon clipper. I match up the sales in the store circular to the coupons. I also check coupon blogs. It’s worth it to save a ton of money!
Hope recently posted..A Pumpkin Filled Morning…

27 Katie @ Plates and Paste October 3, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I’m a stickler for following due dates even though my bf things most things are fine. I kind of freak out though and think anything past the due date should get tossed, even if it’s only a day haha.
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Tampa Bay Hits a Homerun

28 Katy @ HaveYouHurd October 4, 2011 at 11:53 am

I love coupon clipping – do you just get yours out of the Sunday paper?
Katy @ HaveYouHurd recently posted..Warrior Dash!

29 Courtney October 4, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I get most of them from there and I get some from online sites, too…when I’m feeling really motivated to look ;)

30 Samantha October 4, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Ohhh yes I love coupons! And I’ve had the same thing happen with Bisquick, haha!

I forget about food sometimes – then I make a decision on how to keep it based on what it is…
Samantha recently posted..Monday Monday