Secret Workout

Okay, since when did it become so darn dark in the morning??? Jay and I were both up this morning at about 6:15 and it stayed practically pitch black until almost 7:00am. We actually spent about 15 seconds wondering whether or not we missed a clock turn back or something, until we turned on the news to realize we were okay.

Granted it is dark, gloomy, and rainy here today, but still? Did this sneak up on anyone else?

*****

Anyways, enough of that. How ARE you all this morning? I’ll tell ya, I had a really great weekend. Nothing crazy exciting, just really good, quality time spent with great people. Since you were probably off having a blast yourself, here’s what you may have missed:

I Like It

I Had An Audience

Pumpkin Ale Rocks

Past Its Due Date

Life Is Good

*****

Workout

This morning kicked off Week 3 (already?!?) with Day 15 of the 10lb. Slimdown Xtreme Challenge. I can’t believe I’m already halfway through, but from the looks of it, I think I’ve still got quite a challenge ahead of me! Here’s what I’ve got on board for the week ahead…

week3

This week’s workouts are definitely upping the intensity (look at tomorrow!) and I realized that I actually have no rest day. It looks like things really ARE getting extreme. Punch

*FYI: Many of you have expressed interest in following the challenge (WOO!). If you want to follow the four-week plan, click here for the workout tracker.

In addition to the two workouts that were scheduled for today, I actually added in a hidden 10 minute bonus workout which I stumbled across over the weekend. CHECK THIS OUT…

If you go to the Exercise TV version of the Xtreme Lower Body video, you’ll notice that it’s about 50 minutes long. If you fast forward through the first 40 minutes, you’ll come to a 10-minute “Back Fat Blaster” video, which works  the rear shoulders, upper, and mid back using a resistance band.

It’s a quick but effective workout and I was pretty psyched when I found it…it was almost like I was uncovering some sort of hidden secret! Smile

Breakfast

Thanks to a little prep work last night, I had some delicious, voluminous pumpkin oats waiting for me to finish up this morning post-workout.

I used the same recipe as last time, and they turned out just as delicious as I remembered them being.

I also had a mug of coffee to kick start my day, but I know that you’re not at all surprised by that one. Winking smile

I’m feeling super ambitious today with my to-do list, so I think it’s about time to get goin’ on it. Catch ya later!

Questions for the Morning:

What do you prefer: turning the clocks back, or turning them forward?

What was the best part of your weekend?

Comments

1. Laura says

hey courtney, I started the challenge last week on Exercise TV and I’ve been loving it! problem is, a lot of the workouts expire today :( when they sent you the DVD, did they tell you any information of when the DVD would be for sale (other than on exercise tv, where it’s a little expensive)?

• Courtney says

Hey Laura! Unfortunately, I have yet to find it on sale anywhere else except for on their website. :(
      If I find it anywhere else, through, I will DEFINITELY be sharing. I know you’re not the only one using them on Exercise TV! How did you figure out that they were going to expire? Usually, it’s a total surprise for me when it happens!

2. Laura says

when I did the upper body one today, it had a “Ends on 10-03” next to the title. I wonder if it’s different for different cable providers? my On Demand also doesn’t have any of the recovery workouts!

I like to fall back–give me an extra hour! But I do love that losing an hour in the spring means more sunlight, so I guess it’s a catch 22!

I am training for a half marathon right now, but I’d love to try the 10 lb. challenge at some point! I did start doing the 10 minute abs/core video she has on there as a supplement to my training and it is legit! I need to be better about strength training and I figured that would be a great place to start!

Any suggestions for an upper body workout? I know I *need* to strength train, but I really don’t like it. Plus, I tend to get really muscle-y and vein-y pretty fast when I strength train (maybe that’s why I don’t like it???). I’d love to know what a personal trainer in training thinks! :)
    Melissa recently posted..Meltdown

• Courtney says

Oh gosh…I really wish I was to this part of my studying! Haha…I’m just getting into the core training concepts! Once I get into strength training, I’ll definitely give ya some recommendations, though! 😉

It was so dark at 6am when my alarm went off with my run that I didn’t think I set it right and went back to bed!! Now I have to workout after work, thanks to the gloomy dark mornings :(
    Leslie recently posted..Birthday Bliss

The only time i enjoy the clocks going back is for that 1 extra hour of sleep! Otherwise I hate how it gets dark so early in the afternoon (and getting up in the morning is also a thousand times more painful).

Best part of my weekend was my cousin’s 80s party on Saturday night: good friends, too much alcohol, dancing till 5am & cupcakes- SO fun!
    Khushboo recently posted..You just know

The workouts are definitely getting more intense! I’ll be interested to hear what your are on the program once you complete it!

I just picked up a can of pumpkin at the store yesterday, so I might have to try the pumpkin oats!

I’d definitely prefer “springing forward” for more daylight! It stinks losing that hour of sleep, but the worst thing about winter (besides the freezing cold) is how it feel like it’s always dark!
    Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Easy Pumpkin Bread & My First Giveaway!

• Courtney says

Awww man, you had to bring up the Ravens game?!? 😉
      My poor Jets…they looked like deer in headlights last night. Just awful, haha

Definitely spring forward :) As much as I love the extra hour of sleep, spring is my favorite season of the year for sure.

I’ve been ‘training’ for my first 1/2 this Sunday (I procrastinated all weekend though and pushed out my last long run for today). Hopefully, I can finish the race under 2 hours (my goal)!!!
    Samantha @ Samantha in Training recently posted..Hello world!

I like turning the clocks back to get that extra hour of sleep…although I do love spring forward for the extra hours in the day and having it be still light out when I leave work at the end of the day!

Definitely trying that pumpkin peanut butter dip…that’s how I love to eat my apples too 😉
    Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Hello October

Forward! More sunshine please!

A thought on the Extreme workout program…I’ve always been taught that having at least one rest day is a good thing, so your muscles have time to repair themselves. Working out every day can actually do harm rather than good cause your body needs time to rest. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this as a trainer-in-training :)
    Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Tampa Bay Hits a Homerun

I love turning the clocks forward, I love light at night!

The dark mornings snuck up on me too – I went for a run Monday morning and I was honestly scared, it was SO DARK OUT. I made a wise decision to start running at night going forward, until next summer I guess! I’d rather run in the daylight!
    Samantha recently posted..Monday Monday