Secret Workout

by Courtney on October 3, 2011

Okay, since when did it become so darn dark in the morning??? Jay and I were both up this morning at about 6:15 and it stayed practically pitch black until almost 7:00am. We actually spent about 15 seconds wondering whether or not we missed a clock turn back or something, until we turned on the news to realize we were okay.

Granted it is dark, gloomy, and rainy here today, but still? Did this sneak up on anyone else?

*****

Anyways, enough of that. How ARE you all this morning? I’ll tell ya, I had a really great weekend. Nothing crazy exciting, just really good, quality time spent with great people. Since you were probably off having a blast yourself, here’s what you may have missed:

I Like It

I Had An Audience

Pumpkin Ale Rocks

Past Its Due Date

Life Is Good

*****

Workout

This morning kicked off Week 3 (already?!?) with Day 15 of the 10lb. Slimdown Xtreme Challenge. I can’t believe I’m already halfway through, but from the looks of it, I think I’ve still got quite a challenge ahead of me! Here’s what I’ve got on board for the week ahead…

week3

This week’s workouts are definitely upping the intensity (look at tomorrow!) and I realized that I actually have no rest day. It looks like things really ARE getting extreme. Punch

*FYI: Many of you have expressed interest in following the challenge (WOO!). If you want to follow the four-week plan, click here for the workout tracker.

In addition to the two workouts that were scheduled for today, I actually added in a hidden 10 minute bonus workout which I stumbled across over the weekend. CHECK THIS OUT…

If you go to the Exercise TV version of the Xtreme Lower Body video, you’ll notice that it’s about 50 minutes long. If you fast forward through the first 40 minutes, you’ll come to a 10-minute “Back Fat Blaster” video, which works  the rear shoulders, upper, and mid back using a resistance band.

It’s a quick but effective workout and I was pretty psyched when I found it…it was almost like I was uncovering some sort of hidden secret! Smile

Breakfast

Thanks to a little prep work last night, I had some delicious, voluminous pumpkin oats waiting for me to finish up this morning post-workout.

I used the same recipe as last time, and they turned out just as delicious as I remembered them being.

I also had a mug of coffee to kick start my day, but I know that you’re not at all surprised by that one. Winking smile

I’m feeling super ambitious today with my to-do list, so I think it’s about time to get goin’ on it. Catch ya later!

Questions for the Morning:

What do you prefer: turning the clocks back, or turning them forward?

What was the best part of your weekend?

1 CBat October 3, 2011 at 9:22 am

SPRING AHEAD!

2 TheBloggersBrother October 3, 2011 at 9:43 am

ITS FALL BACK…DUMMY

3 Courtney October 3, 2011 at 9:49 am

Dan…still goin’ with the caps today, huh? ;)

4 TheBloggersBrother October 3, 2011 at 9:52 am

IM STILL MAD…BUT ILL SAVE MY RANTS FOR “SWEET AND TASTY WITH DAN AND CASEY”

5 Courtney October 3, 2011 at 10:49 am

I’m still waiting for that!!

6 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count October 3, 2011 at 9:27 am

Turning them back for sure!! That means an extra hour of sleep! Woo hoo.

7 Hope October 3, 2011 at 9:31 am

I like turning the clocks back just because you get an hour extra of sleep. :)

The highlight of my weekend was the dinner that I made for my family Friday night. It was special to me.
Hope recently posted..A Pumpkin Filled Morning…

8 Whitney October 3, 2011 at 9:35 am

Best part of my weekend was completing my first 20 mile training run for my marathon coming up! :)

9 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 3, 2011 at 9:36 am

I dread the week in November when we have to turn the clocks back. Darkness at 5pm seriously puts me into a state of depression!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Philadelphia half marathon training week 3

10 Claire October 3, 2011 at 9:37 am

I like turning the clock back, extra sleep!!

The best part of the weekend was playing with puppies and enjoying lazy Sunday watching the Bears!
Claire recently posted..Fall-Filled Weekend

11 Laura October 3, 2011 at 9:38 am

hey courtney, I started the challenge last week on Exercise TV and I’ve been loving it! problem is, a lot of the workouts expire today :( when they sent you the DVD, did they tell you any information of when the DVD would be for sale (other than on exercise tv, where it’s a little expensive)?

12 Courtney October 3, 2011 at 9:42 am

Hey Laura! Unfortunately, I have yet to find it on sale anywhere else except for on their website. :(
If I find it anywhere else, through, I will DEFINITELY be sharing. I know you’re not the only one using them on Exercise TV! How did you figure out that they were going to expire? Usually, it’s a total surprise for me when it happens!

13 Laura October 3, 2011 at 9:49 am

when I did the upper body one today, it had a “Ends on 10-03″ next to the title. I wonder if it’s different for different cable providers? my On Demand also doesn’t have any of the recovery workouts!

14 Andrea October 5, 2011 at 10:23 am

Yeah, me too…I went to do the Extreme Lower workout and it wasn’t there anymore…so sad :-(

15 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 3, 2011 at 9:53 am

The whole dark at 7:15 thing is blowing my mind! I HATE IT!!! ……They both have their values though. I adjust better to the turning them forward though!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Deep Breath… Here it goes (part II)

16 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files October 3, 2011 at 9:57 am

I prefer turning the clocks back so you feel like your sleeping in for an extra hour!
The best part about my weekend was going to day parties! haha so much fun!
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..The thing about Sundays

17 Courtney October 3, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I love day parties! They’re always a blast :)

18 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 3, 2011 at 10:02 am

The darker mornings totally snuck up on me too! I couldn’t believe how late it stayed dark this morning. I definitely prefer “Fall Back” – you get an extra hour of sleep! For whatever reason, it doesn’t mess with my body/mind as much as “Spring Forward” too.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Schmorgasborg of Deliciousness

19 Aine @ Something to Chew Over October 3, 2011 at 10:05 am

Turning back for sure, extra hour sleep :)

Is that granola on top of your oats? Looks great!
Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..Ode to Oats

20 Courtney October 3, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Yes! It’s cinnamon raisin from Bob’s Red Mill…it’s AMAZING!

21 Melissa October 3, 2011 at 10:08 am

I like to fall back–give me an extra hour! But I do love that losing an hour in the spring means more sunlight, so I guess it’s a catch 22!

I am training for a half marathon right now, but I’d love to try the 10 lb. challenge at some point! I did start doing the 10 minute abs/core video she has on there as a supplement to my training and it is legit! I need to be better about strength training and I figured that would be a great place to start!

Any suggestions for an upper body workout? I know I *need* to strength train, but I really don’t like it. Plus, I tend to get really muscle-y and vein-y pretty fast when I strength train (maybe that’s why I don’t like it???). I’d love to know what a personal trainer in training thinks! :)
Melissa recently posted..Meltdown

22 Courtney October 3, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Oh gosh…I really wish I was to this part of my studying! Haha…I’m just getting into the core training concepts! Once I get into strength training, I’ll definitely give ya some recommendations, though! ;)

23 Leslie October 3, 2011 at 10:23 am

It was so dark at 6am when my alarm went off with my run that I didn’t think I set it right and went back to bed!! Now I have to workout after work, thanks to the gloomy dark mornings :(
Leslie recently posted..Birthday Bliss

24 Khushboo October 3, 2011 at 10:25 am

The only time i enjoy the clocks going back is for that 1 extra hour of sleep! Otherwise I hate how it gets dark so early in the afternoon (and getting up in the morning is also a thousand times more painful).

Best part of my weekend was my cousin’s 80s party on Saturday night: good friends, too much alcohol, dancing till 5am & cupcakes- SO fun!
Khushboo recently posted..You just know

25 Courtney October 3, 2011 at 2:54 pm

That sounds like SO much fun!!

26 Stellina October 3, 2011 at 10:26 am

OMG This morning I was thinking the same thing!!!! It was so dark!! I don’t like it :( I hope this winter goes by real fast! Have a great day!
Stellina recently posted..Northend Escapade

27 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life October 3, 2011 at 10:45 am

The dark snuck up on me too. My boyfriend is out the door my 6:30 and it was still pitch black this morning and super chilly.

Best part of my weekend was sailing through New York Harbor on Sunday and pumpkin picking on Long Island on Sunday.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Sailing on a Saturday Afternoon

28 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 3, 2011 at 10:50 am

The workouts are definitely getting more intense! I’ll be interested to hear what your are on the program once you complete it!

I just picked up a can of pumpkin at the store yesterday, so I might have to try the pumpkin oats!

I’d definitely prefer “springing forward” for more daylight! It stinks losing that hour of sleep, but the worst thing about winter (besides the freezing cold) is how it feel like it’s always dark!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Easy Pumpkin Bread & My First Giveaway!

29 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill October 3, 2011 at 11:05 am

Spending quality time with my family was great this past weekend, but the Ravens winning last night takes the cake! :)

30 Courtney October 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Awww man, you had to bring up the Ravens game?!? ;)
My poor Jets…they looked like deer in headlights last night. Just awful, haha

31 Tara Deal October 3, 2011 at 11:08 am

It is seriously dark until 7:30am here in Indiana! I miss the days when it was light at 6am…gotta love the early morning runs :)
Tara Deal recently posted..I’m Addicted

32 Jess@atasteofconfidence October 3, 2011 at 11:18 am

I don’t mind it dark in the morning because I sleep in haha, but I have to say I prefer turning them backwards…I love more sleep!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..I just can’t wait to be king…

33 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine October 3, 2011 at 11:46 am

Fall back definitely! I love gaining that hour!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Teavana Tea Review

34 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 3, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Whoowee! No rest day would kill me. I guess yoga is like active recovery though. I’m sure you will make it through!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Behind The {Mental} Scenes

35 Hilliary@HappilyEverHealthy October 3, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Best part of my weekend was relaxing and sleeping in on Saturday! And your post reminded me I am out of pumpkin, I need to get more! I am missing pumpkin pie oats in the morning!
Hilliary@HappilyEverHealthy recently posted..Bring on October!

36 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled October 3, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I love discovering exercise routines that aren’t well advertised. It’s such a bonus!

The best part of my weekend was spending time with family and then running my first half marathon! Great, great weekend!
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..Mexican Food Again? Oh Yeah!

37 Samantha @ Samantha in Training October 3, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Definitely spring forward :) As much as I love the extra hour of sleep, spring is my favorite season of the year for sure.

I’ve been ‘training’ for my first 1/2 this Sunday (I procrastinated all weekend though and pushed out my last long run for today). Hopefully, I can finish the race under 2 hours (my goal)!!!
Samantha @ Samantha in Training recently posted..Hello world!

38 Courtney October 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Good luck, Samantha!! :-D

39 Brittany October 3, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I like turning them back because id rather it get lighter earlier in the morning. Plus what everyone else said, extra sleep :)

40 Erica October 3, 2011 at 3:31 pm

i think i’d like to turn back the clocks…

best part of the weekend: taking our dog on the annual pet walk for the humane society! :)
Erica recently posted..furniture frenzy! (part 1)

41 Shayla @ The Good Life October 3, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I like turning the clocks back to get that extra hour of sleep…although I do love spring forward for the extra hours in the day and having it be still light out when I leave work at the end of the day!

Definitely trying that pumpkin peanut butter dip…that’s how I love to eat my apples too ;)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Hello October

42 Shayla @ The Good Life October 3, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Whoops! That comment was supposed to go on your next post…now who’s getting sucked in the vortex Google Reader ;)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Hello October

43 Julie @ Sugarfoot Eats October 3, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I thought the same thing this morning!! It makes it hard for me to get up & at ‘em.
Julie @ Sugarfoot Eats recently posted..Red Hot Apple Pie in a Mug

44 Katie @ Plates and Paste October 4, 2011 at 11:44 am

Forward! More sunshine please!

A thought on the Extreme workout program…I’ve always been taught that having at least one rest day is a good thing, so your muscles have time to repair themselves. Working out every day can actually do harm rather than good cause your body needs time to rest. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this as a trainer-in-training :)
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Tampa Bay Hits a Homerun

45 Katy @ HaveYouHurd October 4, 2011 at 11:46 am

I ran in the Warrior Dash this weekend! It was awesome!
Katy @ HaveYouHurd recently posted..Warrior Dash!

46 Samantha October 4, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I love turning the clocks forward, I love light at night!

The dark mornings snuck up on me too – I went for a run Monday morning and I was honestly scared, it was SO DARK OUT. I made a wise decision to start running at night going forward, until next summer I guess! I’d rather run in the daylight!
Samantha recently posted..Monday Monday