Fun Little Quirks

by Courtney on October 5, 2011

Over the weekend, I was flipping through the Sunday paper and came across an article about common household nuances. I found myself totally relating to each and every one of the items on the list, as Jay and I seem to do almost all of them in our own, “special” way.

A lot of the items on the list we didn’t realize we were so different with until we first moved in together, almost four years ago (WOW) so it’s definitely been interesting and fun to see all of our little quirks along the way. Luckily, there isn’t too much left to surprise us, but then again, you never know!

DSC00843

Remember when Jay and I had the heated toilet paper debate? We still argue about that one all the time.

source

If you want to check out the whole list, you can check it out here on one of my favorite local blogs, but I thought it would be fun to pick out a few of them and have us share our thoughts on them here (plus, I’m also curious to see how many people will agree with my way to put the toilet paper on the roll!) For the Q&A’s below, I put a ‘C’ next to my answers and a ‘J’ next to Jay’s answers.

How do you fold your towels?

• Vertically, in thirds, then in half (J)
    • In quarters (C)
    • Other

When folding (clean) socks, do you…

• Ball them up by folding over the ankles (C)
    • Fold them in half (J)

When cooking, do you…

• Clean as you go
    • Clean up at the end (C & J)

At meal time, do you…

• Skip around and eat a little of this and a little of that (C)
    • Eat all the items on your plate one-by-one (J)

Now, where do you stand?!? Smile

1 Khushboo October 5, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Dun survey! Most of my answers are similar to Jay although I’m with you about the socks!
Khushboo recently posted..Whoop De Doo!

2 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 5, 2011 at 1:35 pm

you gotta fold your towels in half, and then in thirds. It’s really the way G-d intended.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Nuns With Guns.

3 Sam @ owlmazing October 5, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Ha! I’m with you on all four actually! I don’t understand people who eat one thing at a time…to me that seems so crazy!!
Sam @ owlmazing recently posted..I can do it! [October goals]

4 Ruthie Hart October 5, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I ALWAYS look to make sure the toilet paper hangs over! It’s a pet peeve of mine!!!!!!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Wedding weekend in Ohio

5 TheBloggersBrother October 5, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I dont fold towels, I dont fold socks, I dont cook, but I do like to delegate whats on my plate so I can enjoy my food over an extended period of time. Its like pizza, you always buy 2 slices when you go out so when you finish one, you still have another left to eat! So you eat about half of your mashed potatoes, then have some green bean thing, then more mashys!! Ya feel me?!?!

6 Kathryn October 5, 2011 at 1:39 pm

If I’m putting towels in the cabinet, I fold them in 3rds, then half. If I’m hanging up my towel after a shower, it’s just in half, then over the bar. TP goes OVER. Hubby really doesn’t care, lol. Socks I like to roll them, but the kids socks are too little and I just fold those. If hubby touches the socks, they get thrown together. I generally clean up after everything is done, hubby does the same thing, the few times he ever cooks. When eating I usually skip around, while my hubby eats all of his sides before taking on the main dish (why in that order, I have no clue.)

7 ALYSSA - FASHION FITNESS FOODIE October 5, 2011 at 1:40 pm

My boyfriend and I moved in 4 months ago together and we haven’t noticed anything we do differently than the other!
ALYSSA – FASHION FITNESS FOODIE recently posted..Spaghetti Squash Lasagna

8 Hope October 5, 2011 at 1:42 pm

When I’m cooking I usually clean up at the end and when eating a meal, I usually eat the items on my plate one by one. I usually leave my favorite thing for last. :) I think it’s so interesting to see different quirks with your significiant other. I’ve been living with my fiance for 2 years now and I think we both know both of our quirks. It’s cool to see what other couples do and think also.
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Men’s Wedding Fashion…

9 Brittany October 5, 2011 at 1:47 pm

How fun! I usually:
-fold in quarters
-fold the socks in half
-it depends, sometimes I wait sometimes I clean as I go
-skip around!

10 Ashlee October 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm

~I fold towels in half the long way, then in half, then in thirds
~ Fold Socks in half, but if they are ankle socks I put one inside the other
~I ususally clean as I go if time allows
~I eat things one by one
And the toilet paper should come over not come from under! We have the same argument in our house.

I read Kristi’s blog everyday! Some stuff is good. Surprisingly my hubby read it first and got me addicted to it. So we both read it everyday and it supplies a lot of our convo topics :)
Ashlee recently posted..Bad Day = Motivation

11 Shanna, Like Banana October 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Haha this is cute…

I fold in vertical thirds than horiztonal thirds. Zach folds a mishmash of way.

We both are “over” on the tp.

I eat a mix of everything..Zach tends to eat more of one thing at a time.

I clean as I go and Zach cleans at the end.

12 Sara October 5, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I fold my towels in thirds and try to clean as I go! I find that if I don’t I never end up having time to clean EVER!
Sara recently posted..Dress Rehearsal

13 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 5, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Isn’t it crazy all you learn when you get married or live together! Sooooo much to learn, crazy quirks that can drive a person mad! This whole post is great!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Hello positive thing #1

14 Caitlin C. October 5, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I fold my towels in quarters, ball up my socks by folding over the ankles, clean as I go (can’t continue cooking otherwise), and eat items on my plate one by one! The last one frustrates my mom because she wants to know how I like something she cooked but it’ll take me forever to get to that something because I’m eating other things first!
Caitlin C. recently posted..Workout Wednesday

15 Shayla @ The Good Life October 5, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Ha I love this :) I am definitely over the top with toilet paper too, and hubby will just do whatever with a lot of things…he’s so easy going and I’m so OCD on a lot of things…he’s good at balancing me out ;)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Job Satisfaction

16 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer October 5, 2011 at 2:04 pm

My husband just throws his socks -unmatched- in his sock drawer. And I’ve totally caught him wearing mismatched socks before. But we do our own laundry, so he’s on his own.
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Filling the Hole

17 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 5, 2011 at 2:09 pm

How fun!
I fold my towels… in quarters.
When folding socks… I ball them up by folding them over the ankles.
When cooking… I clean up as I go.
At meal time… I eat each item on my plate one by one, usually leaving my favorite for last!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Milk Does A Body Good

18 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 5, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I’m with you on all of these! leaving the clean up till the end of dinner drives my husband insane! mostly b/c he does the clean up ;) hehe
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Roasted sherry tomato flat bread pizza

19 Kristine @ Running on Hungry October 5, 2011 at 2:15 pm

This is so cute! On the clean socks we are exactly the same and my boyfriend is exactly the same as Jay! Maybe it’s a guy thing? I like knowing the pairs are firmly with each other when I put them away!
Kristine @ Running on Hungry recently posted..Week 9 to 26.2

20 nicole @ simply Nicole October 5, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I gather my socks then use the ankles to make a little sack.
I clean as I cook. I hate leaving it all for the end!
nicole @ simply Nicole recently posted..Setting Myself Up For Failure

21 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 5, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I’m with J for the towel-folding… but for all the rest, I’m totally with you. ;)
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..WIAW [Autumn Edition]

22 Samantha October 5, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I’m totally on board with you. Except sometimes Dustin and I clean as we go, but usually we’re in sync about which one we want to do that night.

23 Katie @ Plates and Paste October 5, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Ha, so funny! My bf and I are both in agreement with toilet paper OVER. But we are similar to you and Jay in that I like to fold towels in quarters and he likes to fold in thirds. I ball socks over the ankles and he does them in half. The only one, big thing I can’t stand is him leaving clothes on the floor….when the laundry basket is RIGHT next to where he throws his clothes. I just don’t get it!
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Race for the Cure

24 Erica October 5, 2011 at 3:18 pm

hahaha. i never really cared about my toilet paper, as long as there’s toilet paper, i’m a happy camper! but the husband has to have it hang over. i remember clearly him saying “you put the toilet paper on the wrong way!” and me thinking, “oh…i didn’t realize there was a ‘correct’ way to put toilet paper on” lol. he’s very particular.

towels: 1/2 vertical then in thirds.
socks: i just throw them all in a pile.
cleaning up: at the end!!!
meal time: eat a little of everything!
Erica recently posted..weekend shennanigans

25 Lindsey October 5, 2011 at 3:25 pm

First of all I a towel nazi, my husband doesn’t even try to fold the towels. I have a specific method, then they are stacked according to colors and sizes. OCD a bit?! haha.
I fold socks in half – hubby a ball.
With cooking, if I have time I clean as I go but we have a rule in our house – I cook, he cleans so usually it is left to the end :)
I eat a little bit of each item on my plate as I go, hubby does the same!
Lindsey recently posted..Winners & Donuts!

26 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled October 5, 2011 at 3:26 pm

These are things I’ve never really thought about, but mine are:

TP = Over, always
Towel = Vertical into 1/3s, then each end folded at quarter, then the whole thing in 1/2. It’s how hotels do it, I think.
Socks = At ankle. Keeps them together!
Cooking = Clean as you go. Seems more efficient.
Eating = Skip around. I like the variety.
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

27 Mila @ loftyappetite October 5, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I am with you on all of them! Those are the right ways to do things ;) However, my bf is a “clean as you go” cook, and when we are in the kitchen together we drive each other crazy! I put a spoon down for a second and it’s washed! Not a bad thing of course…(he could always have worse qualities, lol) but come on!
Mila @ loftyappetite recently posted..airbrushing, weight loss and other photo editing with Picnik

28 Sabina October 5, 2011 at 3:33 pm

the towel thing – it really depends on the shelf size of your linen closet. int one closet its in thirds and then into quarters, ( half and half again) another closet its thirds and thirds.

29 Shelly October 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Fun! Here are my answers:
1. Other – I fold in half first, then in thirds.
2. I think I am other here too. I take one, put my hand inside, grab the toe of the other with the toe of the one my hand is inside, and flip the one on my hand inside out over the other. My mom taught me that so the ankles don’t stretch out.
3. Clean up at the end (C & J)
4. Eat all the items on your plate one-by-one (J)
Shelly recently posted..Where Did the Sun Go?

30 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 5, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I do everything the same as J, except I sample everything on my plate at once rather than eating food by food!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Trying New Things

31 Kim @ The Family Practice October 5, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I fold the towels in quarters, then in thirds – with the edging facing out.
Nick “folds” them in quarters and shoves them in the closet.

Isn’t it funny all the little things you learn once you live with someone? Even just roommates in college is so eye opening – wow someone does this differently than I do?! ha ha
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Called Out

32 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness October 5, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I clean as I go, the husband doesn’t clean. I ball socks up, husband folds in half. We both fold towels in quarters. I don’t care how the toilet paper is on, as long as it’s there and I always eat one thing at a time on my plate.
Jen@FoodFamilyFitness recently posted..WIAW: #6

33 Sweet and Savvy October 5, 2011 at 4:45 pm

These are so funny!

How do you fold your towels?
Vertically, in thirds, then in half

When folding (clean) socks, do you…
Ball them up by folding over the ankles

When cooking, do you…
Clean as you go

At meal time, do you…
Skip around and eat a little of this and a little of that
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Homecoming

34 Samantha October 5, 2011 at 4:52 pm

HAHA My answers are all the exact same as yours! Too funny!
Samantha recently posted..Serious Lack of Willpower

35 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 5, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Great post!!!
Towels: I do the “thirds” thing, while Brandon does it the other way.
Socks: I tuck one into the other, Brandon just folds them over.
When cooking: I usually clean as I go. And Brandon just doesn’t cook. ;)
At mealtime: I usually skip around and he usually eats things one at a time.

But we’ve never gotten in a major disagreement about anything … thank goodness. So far, we can usually just laugh about the differences! ;) But give us a couple years haha!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..WIAW … snack addition

36 Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice October 5, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I’m totally on the TP Over side of the debate!
Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice recently posted..A fairly significant announcement

37 mm October 5, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Towels: Quarters
TP: OVER the roll. absolutely NEVER under. Ever.
Corn: Typewriter style
Socks: Fold over the ankles (my husband just throws them all in a drawer and doesn’t match them at all. This drives me nuts, so I fold all the socks in our house.)
Shower: Shampoo hair first
Bread: In the fridge (funny, I didn’t realize this was so unusual)
Sheets: Loose
Cooking: Clean as you go (My husband does the clean after thing and it makes me crazy. I usually come in and clean as he goes instead)
Meal time: I do both, depending on the day or meal.
mm recently posted..About Australia, Part 4 (Great Ocean Road)

38 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats October 5, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I roll my towels, make my socks into little balls, clean as I go, and skip around an eat a bit of this or that–unless it is something I really, really like! Then I will save that for last! :)
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..checking in

39 Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 5, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Cute survey! I’ll have to do this with my boyfriend.
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Daily dose of awesomesauce.

40 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 5, 2011 at 7:58 pm

This is so fun!

How do you fold your towels?
■Vertically, in thirds, then in half
■In quarters
■Other (in third, and then in thirds again)

When folding (clean) socks, do you…
■Ball them up by folding over the ankles (me!)
■Fold them in half

When cooking, do you…
■Clean as you go (sometimes
■Clean up at the end (sometimes)

At meal time, do you…
■Skip around and eat a little of this and a little of that (me!)
■Eat all the items on your plate one-by-one
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..is this for me?

41 Lauren October 5, 2011 at 8:11 pm

My hubby and I had the exact same toilet paper roll debate! To this day, he swears he is right and will go to his grave telling me that it always goes on top.
Lauren recently posted..Another Go At {WIAW}

42 Traci October 5, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Too funny, I actually never discovered how OCD I am about the toilet paper going OVER the top until I went away to college. I had one roommate who put it under and it boggled my mind. Always, always over the top.

As for the rest: I fold in thirds, ball up socks, clean up at the end, & skip around!

43 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 5, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I fold towels in quarters, ball up my socks, and usually wash the dishes when whatever I made is all prepared and in the oven!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..A Very Sweet GIVEAWAY

44 Charlie October 5, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I fold towels in thirds the long way, then in half.
Socks: ball them up by folding over the ankles, otherwise one can get lost in the drawer!
I clean up at the end when I’m cooking (or the day after…)
And I eat all the items on my plate one-by-one (the one I like the most at the end!)
Charlie recently posted..Raclette Cheese, Mushroom and Onion Grilled Sandwich

45 dee October 5, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Toilet paper OVER! I’m guilty of sometimes changing it out for people if I notice it under. Is that taking it too far? I think so. Haha!

Martha Stewart taught me to fold my towels in thirds, then in half. So if I’m feeling in-tune with Martha, I’ll do that..otherwise, quarters is SO much faster!

Ankle socks I fold in half. No-sock socks (for flats), I shove one in the other and the rest I’ll fold one tube over the other.

I clean as I go. I like to sit down to a meal without a bunch of dishes in the sink. My boyfriend always has to tell me to just sit and ENJOY my meal and save the dishes for the end.

I pick around my plate :) It’s fun that way!

46 Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) October 6, 2011 at 8:54 am

I’m with you on all the answers except with the cooking… I’m OCD about cleaning as I go and it drives Hubbs insane! I can’t help it though… it’s a sickness :)
Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted..Bringing Home Baby: 10 Things that May Surprise You about Your Newborn

47 e@thisnotedlife October 6, 2011 at 10:33 am

my husband and i learned A LOT of these little things about each other in the past year.. its so funny when you look back and now you see the things we’ve compromised on but there are still soooo many things that he doesn’t do properly ;)