Get Out Of My Head!

by Courtney on October 5, 2011

As I was out in the kitchen making this delicious breakfast this morning,

I had the TV on Good Morning America, as I always do (I’m a fan of Josh Elliott). Winking smile

One of the first segments that came on after I turned it on happened to be an interview with the cast of Growing Pains.

source

I can remember watching this show when I was younger, but it was mostly because I had a slight crush on Kirk Cameron.

source

Yeah, he was right up there with Joey Lawrence and JTT for me (ahem, Julie). Winking smile

So anyways…throughout the segment this morning, they kept playing the Growing Pains theme song, and now it is officially stuck in my head. Ughh, I hate when that happens! I don’t know what it is, but certain songs only take about two notes for me to hear and then they are completely embedded in my head for the entire day. A couple others that come to mind…

• “Umbrella” by Rihanna
  • “Kung Fu Fighting”
  • “Hard Knock Life” from Annie
  • “Barbie Girl” by Aqua
  • “867-5309” (<—just typing it now has it stuck in my head!)

Man, they are some catchy tunes!

*****

Breakfast

This morning called for a nice warm mug ‘o joe,

and a creamy, delicious bowl of pumpkin buckwheat.

Today’s bowl was extra awesome, thanks to the generous helping of PB2 and granola that I loaded on top.

I actually added a little cinnamon into my PB2 today, and then once it was paired with the granola and raisins, it was basically a makeshift cinnamon raisin peanut butter. I’ll take it!

Yummmmm.

Workout

Today’s workout was an easy one, and thank goodness because WOW am I sore from yesterday’s monster session. The only thing on tap for Day 17 was the Xtreme Yoga workout; previously, I’ve paired the yoga workout with some HIIT on the treadmill, but that was just not an option today.

Alrighty folks, time to go seize the day!

Question for the Morning:

What songs (if any) get easily stuck in your head when you hear them?

1 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet October 5, 2011 at 8:59 am

What a coincidence! I was just eating PB oats and watching GMA too.

I was born in 1991, so I constantly feel like I’m missing out on the bright and fun 80′s! But there’s also plenty to reminisce on from the 90′s ;)
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Green Lentil and Split Pea Soup

2 Khushboo October 5, 2011 at 9:00 am

NOOOOO pls tell me you are joking about Joey Lawrence- gah!! I don’t know whether I should publicly admit this but I actually made up a dance to Barbie Girl back in the day!
Khushboo recently posted..Whoop De Doo!

3 Andrea @ Onion in My Hair October 5, 2011 at 9:01 am

Lately I can’t get “Sparks Fly” by Taylor Swift out of my head. Not the entire song mind you, just the part where she sings, “DROP EVERYTHING NOW!”

Over, and over…and over…and over! ;)
Andrea @ Onion in My Hair recently posted..WIAW: Creature of Habit

4 Coco October 5, 2011 at 9:02 am

Coincidentally, you mentioning “seizing the day” IMMEDIATELY put the Newsies song in my head! (Have you heard it is coming to Broadway?!?!)
Coco recently posted..Allow Me to Explain…

5 Courtney October 5, 2011 at 9:04 am

I did NOT hear that! But that is exciting news!!

6 Coco October 5, 2011 at 9:06 am
7 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers October 5, 2011 at 9:03 am

I LOVE JTT!!! :D
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..Long Run Questions

8 Courtney October 5, 2011 at 9:03 am

Hahaha, I now always think of you whenever I see him ;)

9 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 5, 2011 at 9:03 am

I used to love Growing Pains! I still like to watch re runs every once in awhile if they’re on tv. ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Milk Does A Body Good

10 Hope October 5, 2011 at 9:08 am

I remember Growing Pains! I used to love JTT too. I think every girl was in love with him at some point. :)

Firework by Katy Perry gets stuck in my head whenever I hear it. It’s so annoying!
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Men’s Wedding Fashion…

11 Courtney October 5, 2011 at 9:11 am

Ooooo, that’s another one!

12 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 5, 2011 at 9:10 am

People used to say my brother looked just like Kirk Cameron growing up. I think it was just the blue eyes b/c other than that I saw absolutely no resemblence. Girls did however. ;)
And, I kind of want to hate you (j/k) for typing out all those songs b/c now I’m singing them. Especially 867-5309 and barbie girl. Get out of my head!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Roasted sherry tomato flat bread pizza

13 Courtney October 5, 2011 at 9:11 am

LOL!! Sorryyyyyyy….we’ll have them stuck in our heads together now ;)

14 Faith @ For the Health of It October 5, 2011 at 9:18 am

We are the Champions gets stuck in mine every Sunday after they inevitably play it during one of the football games. And yesterday I jokingly said “I’m sexy and I know it” and BAM, LMFAO stuck in my head for hours on end.

15 Katie October 5, 2011 at 9:30 am

I missed the Growing Pains segment this morning….stupid work hours :-/

Theme songs usually get stuck in my head more than pop songs. The last song I had stuck in my head was “On top of spaghetti…..” because my friend always sings it to her baby girl!! Talk about embarassing things to hum at your desk!

16 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer October 5, 2011 at 9:32 am

“Show me that smile again….(ooh, show me that smile)… don’t waste another minute on your crying…”

Thanks alot Courtney. ;)
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Busted Out The Blades

17 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance October 5, 2011 at 9:35 am

Haha the last time 867-5309 got stuck in my head I dialed the number and someone answered. Poor person– I’m sure they get prank phone calls all day long
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Too Sweet

18 Hilliary@HappilyEverHealthy October 5, 2011 at 9:40 am

I totally remember growing pains! I used to watch it all the time! And I agree with JTT i totally had a crush on him when I was younger!
Hilliary@HappilyEverHealthy recently posted..In need of Inspiration

19 Erin @ The Grass Skirt October 5, 2011 at 9:41 am

I cannot believe I missed the interview! I love Growing Pains!! I had “(Cheers) I’ll Drink to That” stuck in my head yesterday because of a blog post that I did. The worst was the other day though when I had “If You’re Happy and You Know It” in my head. Horrible!
Erin @ The Grass Skirt recently posted..I’ll link to that (yeah yeah)

20 Lindsay @ biking before bed October 5, 2011 at 9:53 am

Skater Boi by Avril Lavigne is one that used to always get stuck in my head. And Fresh Prince of Bel aire
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..24 hours of fall fun

21 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 5, 2011 at 9:54 am

UGH, that darn umbrella gets stuck in my head for what feels like weeks at a time. I’m not even kidding.

did you KNOW.. it was just announced on Friday that the catchiest song of all time is Queen’s “We Are The Champions.” I know this because I won chris brown concert tickets for calling in my local radio station with the right answer (thank YOU, Queen!)

anyway, my point in that is I think it’s strange that’s the “catchiest song.” I’d say the ones you listed are way more obnoxious in getting stuck in my head.
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..WIAW [Autumn Edition]

22 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health October 5, 2011 at 9:59 am

Haha omg I used to LOVE that show! I wish they still played reruns :). During the holidays I have an extremely hard time getting Paul McCartney’s “A Wonderful Christmas Time” out of my head…so annoying after a while!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Cardio Machine Boredom Busters

23 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 5, 2011 at 10:00 am

LOVE Josh Elliott! ….He was just what GMA needed! He is so real and is like the guy across the stree that your husband works with and he comes over for weekend BBQ’s and beer! —tangent, sorry!—
Ummm, Growing Pains, heck yes! I was pumped that they were on this morning!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Hello positive thing #1

24 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill October 5, 2011 at 10:10 am

I can’t think of any specific songs, but it drives me nuts when that happens! Umbrella is definitely one of those songs!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Unexpected Phone Call

25 Meg October 5, 2011 at 10:15 am

I loveed Kirk tooo!!! and Joey Lawrence! Also your buckwheat bowls always look SOOO good…. I will have to attempt them soon!
I constantly have Closing Time stuck in my head… like its on repeat all day every dy which is strange hahaha
Meg recently posted..Cookie Monster Post

26 Heather @ Girlyeverafter October 5, 2011 at 10:23 am

I remember when Leonardo Dicaprio was on growing pains, ahh Leo(swoon). I always get bad commercial songs in my head. Like the Empire carpet song, UGH it’s awful.
Heather @ Girlyeverafter recently posted..WIAW and Potential Container Lady

27 Sherri October 5, 2011 at 10:25 am

I loved Kirk and Joey, too!

I was told in middle school that singing the Smurfs theme song will get any song out of your head. However, I was a little slow to realize that only works because then the Smurfs theme song is stuck in your head. It was middle school..I thought I knew it all but really, I was just gullible.
Sherri recently posted..October Football

28 Faith October 5, 2011 at 10:41 am

Haha! 867-5309 is stuck in my head now.
Faith recently posted..What I’m Reading

29 Heather October 5, 2011 at 11:05 am

I watched GMA this morning too and literally said “UGH!” when I heard 867-5309. That song is a killer.

If I ever hear “Tubthumping (I Get Knocked Down” by Chumbawamba, that song sticks like glue in my head FOREVER! Not a fan. ;-)
Heather recently posted..A Tuesday Like a Wednesday

30 Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate October 5, 2011 at 11:08 am

Isn’t it fun to add a little somethin’ somethin’ to your breakfast bowl? I’ve been adding fall flavors to my bowl of Kellogg’s FiberPlus(R) lately and love it. And on a seperate note, your pictures of breakfast are so good!

31 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries October 5, 2011 at 11:35 am

AHH!! All of those songs get stuck in my head. And I want to bang my head against the wall every Friday…Damn you, Rebecca Black ;)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..It’s My Birthday!

32 Kim @ The Family Practice October 5, 2011 at 11:52 am

We rented a big van this past weekend so our friends could all be in one car for a road trip (seats 15) and we were singing “chilling in the back seat, in the other back seat, in the way back seat, which seat should I take?” Ha ha ha, we’re super cool :)
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Preschool Stuntman

33 Katy @ HaveYouHurd October 5, 2011 at 11:40 am

So my girlfriend lives out in Salt Lake City, Utah and the other day she tweeted she had met the real “Jenny” from the song “867-5309.” I asked her “how’d you know it was her?” She said Jenny’s friend told them it was her and that she did some research on the internet and it matched! She also said “Jenny” had big boobs so it must be true haha.
Katy @ HaveYouHurd recently posted..Warrior Dash!

34 Kim @ The Family Practice October 5, 2011 at 11:50 am

I love that “big boobs” made it more official. Ha! I just move to SLC – maybe I’ll meet this Jenny at some point lol
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Preschool Stuntman

35 Kim @ The Family Practice October 5, 2011 at 11:49 am

And now we’ve got ALL those songs stuck in our heads! Gee thanks Courtney ;)
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Preschool Stuntman

36 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled October 5, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I loved Growing Pains! I had a monster crush on Kirk Cameron. He was just so cool.

I also had a crush on Joey Lawrence. I couldn’t get enough of him on Blossom.
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

37 Samantha October 5, 2011 at 12:32 pm

OMG I was IN LOVE with JTT when I was younger – I had posters plastered everywhere, HAD to see The Lion King as soon as it came out, couldn’t miss an episode of Home Improvement, well you get the picture…
Samantha recently posted..Serious Lack of Willpower

38 Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 5, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Edge of Glory is a song that always gets stuck in my head!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Snore-a-sorous

39 Pamela October 5, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Best Love Song by T-Pain and Without You by David Guetta & Usher were stuck in my head all day yesterday at work!! It may have to do with the fact I’m obsessed with these songs right now and listen to them every day on my drive!!
Pamela recently posted..My Health Story

40 TheBloggersBrother October 5, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Josh Elliot used to be an anchor on SportsCenter, he was pretty good

41 Brittany October 5, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Oh my Gosh. 867-5309 ALWAYS gets stuck. Pretty sure I won’t be able to get it out now! Recently, Cheers by Rihanna has been getting in my head and give me everything tonight

42 Megan (Braise The Roof) October 5, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I watched that segment this morning, too! I did not realize that Alan Thicke wrote some other shows’ theme songs during the 80′s- go figure (he’s also Daniel Tosh’s godfather- how random is that??). PS, I think the boys from that show have aged really well. :)
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..Southwestern Twice Baked Potatoes

43 Erica October 5, 2011 at 3:20 pm

omg. LMFAO’s “i’m sexy and i know it” is totally stuck in my head.
Erica recently posted..weekend shennanigans

44 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 5, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Confession: I skipped over the songs you said get stuck in your head because I didn’t want any of them stuck in my head. :)
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..is this for me?

45 Courtney October 5, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Hahahaha, smart move, Chels ;)

46 Shana October 6, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I’m going to share a secret with you: Two tablespoons of PB2 and 2 tablespoons of pumpkin with a dash of pumpkin pie spice is a tasty, tasty combination. I just roll the mixture up balls and eat them like candy!
Shana recently posted..There’s an ap(ple) for that.

47 Courtney October 6, 2011 at 9:46 pm