Bottomless Pit

by Courtney on October 6, 2011

Okay, I don’t know what the deal is but for the past three days, I have been SUPER hungry.

Truth be told, after I eat my breakfast and lunch for the day, my hunger just isn’t the same anymore (usually because I’m dealing with tummy discomfort, but that’s a whole other issue). Obviously, I still eat dinner and even manage to have a sweet snack afterward, but for these past few days, I have felt like I am a bottomless pit all day…which is rare.

Thankfully, the majority of the snacking has consisted of healthy options, like the makeshift trail mix I’ve been snacking on at work.

I had a couple of bags of Oh Nuts goodies left over from HLS and have been loving the combo of almonds and dried fruit together.

But trust me, it hasn’t all been healthy…like how about last night, when I plopped down on the couch to watch Modern Family? I ended up housing a handful of candy corn and two huge handfuls of my favorite chocolate candy ever, even after the sweet treats at the baking class. Hey, sometimes it happens.

I’m actually starting to wonder whether or not my increased hunger has something to do with the workout challenge? New workouts, new-found hunger? I’m telling you…this thing is pushin’ me!

Workout

This morning brought me to Day 18 of the challenge, which consisted of  three different workouts:

• Xtreme Cardio Kickboxing (40 mins)
  • Xtreme Bonus Abs (10 mins)
  • Xtreme Bons Buns (10 mins)
I had already done the first two workouts before, but today was my first experience with the bonus buns (<– does that make anyone else giggle or am I just that immature?). All I can say is, if you’re looking for a quick lower body workout that is going to leave your booty screamin’, here’s your video. Ten minutes of continuous lunges, squats, and bridges…holy MOLY I can’t wait to see how it feels tomorrow. Yowsahs!
Lunch

Today’s lunch ended up being a repeat of Tuesday’s because, well, it’s just so darn good.

Unfortunately, this was my last pumpkin spice bagel so I think it may be time to go get some more…orrrr maybe not. ;)

I also brought another Stonyfield yogurt, but I wasn’t as much of a fan of this one as I was the last one. This one was sort of chunky and just not that great, IMO.

Things are fairly quiet here today, so I’m hoping to be able to bust through a good amount of studying this afternoon. We’ll see how it goes!

Question for the Afternoon:

Have you ever noticed a correlation between your workouts and your hunger? Do you get more hungry? Less hungry?

1 Lee @ in the pink of condition October 6, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I get soooo hungry when I start working out more. If I don’t work out for a week or more, I completely lose my appetite. I guess you just need your fuel when you’re working out!
Lee @ in the pink of condition recently posted..Why I Run

2 Sweetandsavvy October 6, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Those nuts look great!!:)

3 Khushboo October 6, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Ohh hell yeah! I’ve been running slightly more recently and there’s definitely a correlation! I’m kinda just embracing it…and trying to make the ‘right’ choices although can’t say I’m always successful ;)! To be honest though, I have spent so long being focused on what I ‘m putting in my body/how much I’m eating that it’s nice to be focused on an exercise-related goal for a change…and if meeting this new goal requires a bit more fuel, I’ll roll with it!
Khushboo recently posted..The Apple of my “i”

4 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer October 6, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I’m sure you’re right. Your new workout sounds pretty intense and your body is just craving some fuel. I’ve totally been there with the bottomless pit thing. The other night, at 9:30PM I made myself a bowl of pasta. Thankfully there was only enough for one serving, I could have kept going and going, and going.
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Another Beautiful Sunset

5 Danielle @ Dish'n'dash October 6, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I find that if I don’t eat the right combinations of food (healthy fats, carbs and protein), I become a bottomless pit and just keep eating away. And then overeat, thus negating some of the positive benefits of working out. I also find that what I eat/drink can have a correlation with how efficient/effective my workouts are.

It has only been in the past year that I’ve really started to pay attention to the connection between what I consume and my workouts and since doing so, I’ve definitely noticed that I am not only eating better, but I’m able to curb my cravings, have more energy, and generally feel healthier.

For studying to be a personal trainer, do you have to look at nutrition at all?
Danielle @ Dish’n’dash recently posted..Chili, football and friends

6 Courtney October 6, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Yes! It comes later in the study materials though, so I still have a little time before getting to that – I can’t wait for that section! :)

7 Danielle @ Dish'n'dash October 6, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Exciting! please share what you learn. I’m starting to research it a bit more myself and find it so interesting. Check out Brendan Brazier’s books if you can. He is a high-performance vegan athlete and spent a lot of time on figuring out what types of food would help him perform the best.
Danielle @ Dish’n’dash recently posted..Chili, football and friends

8 Stacey October 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Courtney, I read a book a few months back. It said that once you eat sugar the body instantly craves more, hence the reason why you ate sweets and then went home and had more….. Direct correlation there…. Try to limit sugar intake ….. Even artiicial sweetners.

9 Courtney October 6, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Oh yes, I am well aware of that! Which is why I always want more sweets after I have just a little something. I wasn’t surprised by the sweet craving, just more so by the extra hunger. I definitely should have reached for something other than m&m’s, haha! ;)

10 Lindsey October 6, 2011 at 1:49 pm

For sure! Marathon training obviously equaled non stop hunger! But I find the day after a hard workout (since most of mine are done after work) I am one hungry girl!
Lindsey recently posted..Favorite Christmas Things Swap

11 Cara @ EAT.PRAY.RUN. October 6, 2011 at 1:50 pm

The more strength training I add to my running, the hungrier I am! I definitely believe that you burn conitunous calories after a strength workout! I do my best to drink enough water (dehydration make me crave everything) then rely on the good ol’ healthy and filling snacks like greek yogurt, trail mix, smoothies, etc…

I woudn’t worry too much about it, between the sweat bustin’ workouts, being so busy and hormones i’m sure it will pass :)

Can’t wait to hear the results of your challenge!
Cara @ EAT.PRAY.RUN. recently posted..Into the Mind of a Crazy Runner – Chicago Edition

12 Hilliary@HappilyEverHealthy October 6, 2011 at 1:54 pm

If I do lots of strength training I find I am usually more hungry.
Hilliary@HappilyEverHealthy recently posted..Vol. 9 What I am Loving

13 Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection October 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I definitely notice that when I go for a long run my appetite increases. Apparently strength training is supposed to do that instead, since it causes your body to burn calories long past the end of your workout, but I’m honestly less hungry on the days I strength train, which I cannot figure out… Either way, just go with the flow and listen to your body right?! : )
Danica @ It’s Progression Not Perfection recently posted..just a few thursday thoughts…

14 Courtney October 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Exactly! ;)

15 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count October 6, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Nighttime sweets are definitely my weakness…esp after a long day at work!
Taylor @ Crumbs Don’t Count recently posted..Hovering is Rude

16 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 6, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I definitely notice a correlation of my hunger to my workout. If I go for a long(er) run or have more of an intense workout, I always notice that I’m more hungry throughout the day. And if I don’t notice it the day OF my more intense workout, I most definitely notice it the next day.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..The Un-named Awesome Workout

17 Samantha October 6, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I definitely find that my workouts and hunger are directly related to each other. Like last night I ran a really hard tempo run – and I’ve been eating ALL DAY today! I got that way after long runs during marathon training too, but you figure a 20 mile training run = approximately 2,000 calories burned. Of course you’re starving, right?
Samantha recently posted..A Shock to the System

18 Faith @ For the Health of It October 6, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I usually lose any appetite immediately after my workouts, but the day after a long run or a tempo run, I’m a ravenous BEAST! I suppose it makes sense, with all of those calories burned that you’ll need to replace them somehow (and oh what a delicious task that can be!)
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Fa-Fa-Fa-Jitas

19 Tiffany October 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I’ve been going to the gym a few times a week pretty consistently these past few weeks, and I’ve noticed that I start to feel hungry around 10:30am, even though I’ve had breakfast just a few hours prior! I have just been attributing this hunger to my metabolism increasing (hopefully)!

20 Amanda October 6, 2011 at 2:42 pm

its weird because I’m not hungry on the days I run long distances….but the next day I’m a bottomless pit as well! I crave carbs and sugar!! So annoying!!!

21 Shelly @ Cake is a Food Group October 6, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I get really hungry when I’ve been working out a lot as well. Although sometimes I have to stop and check to make sure it’s not a mental thing. Like I think I am working so hard so I think I need more food rather than actually being hungry. Sometimes it’s hard to determine which it is.
Shelly @ Cake is a Food Group recently posted..Zumba + Negative Thoughts

22 Ann October 6, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I definitely get hungrier when I workout more! However, I also found when I went back to work full-time I began craving snacks at times when I normally wouldn’t want a snack! I think there’s a correlation between any kind of work – be it studying or desk work and needing to snack!

23 Ruthie Hart October 6, 2011 at 3:02 pm

girl I get SOOO snacky during my “time of the month”….and all I want is salty!! Well then when I get sick of that I want chocolate! I wish I craved healthy stuff
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Family Wedding Pictures

24 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 6, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Intense cardio bumps up my appetite like it is nobody’s business….. and so does my mood. I need to get this baby appetite under control!!!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..A Woman of Few Words

25 Cait @ Cait hates Cake October 6, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Right after I workout I have no appetite, but an hour later I’m starving! I’ve realized that half of it is thirst, though.
Cait @ Cait hates Cake recently posted..Pumpkin Ice Cream Bites

26 Colleen October 6, 2011 at 3:22 pm

My hunger levels absolutely increase when I work out, and it can be a challenge when using exercise to assist with facilitating/maintaining weight loss. One thing that helps me keep a check on overeating after a work out is to schedule my work outs for shortly before meals. I usually try to work out before breakfast! :)
Colleen recently posted..Plate of Peace Debut

27 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled October 6, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Since I started training for the marathon, my hunger has increased a ton. I’ve also increased my strength training, which means I just have more muscles overall that need feeding. I’ve been trying to eat small meals more often, which helps me not eat more than I should. It’s the treats at the end of the day that kill me!
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..Fall Means Comfort Food

28 Jillian @ sprinkle massacre October 6, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I actually bought that stonyfield yogurt as well, with my HLS coupons, and I thought it was bad because it was oddly chunky. I do like the stonyfield oikos, though!

I defintiely think your workouts affect your eating habits. I recently started bootcamp classes at my gym and on the days that I go, I am ravenous all morning! It’s crazy!
Jillian @ sprinkle massacre recently posted..Mini Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes

29 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files October 6, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I notice that I definitely get hungrier! Especially if I have a day of weight lifting..but I don’t blame you with the halloween candy…during the month of October candy is all I can think about! I’m thinking next grocery trip I’ll have to pick up a bag of something yummy:)
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Restaurant Worthy

30 Mallory @ It's Only Life October 6, 2011 at 3:40 pm

it always depends on the time of day for me and how much i eat before hand. if its in the late afternoon and i didnt eat much im always STARVING! if it’s in the morning i’m less hungry for some reason. my appetite revs up as the day goes on i think.
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Shirataki Noodles: A Second Chance

31 Brittany October 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Oh my gosh. I totally agree! I changed up my workouts a bit and I’ve been much more hungrier than usual. It is unlike me to be like a bottomless pit too!

32 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I definitely notice a difference in my hunger levels if I have a more intense workout. However, I’m usually pretty hungry/ready to eat no matter what! ;-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Throwback

33 Elizabeth October 6, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I try not to workout too much because it makes me so hungry and over time I end up gaining weight. I think moderation is key. 4 workouts a week at most (well maybe 5 if a couple of them are just weight trainning). Rest days are just as important — especially after lifting.

34 Lexie @ This Aussie Eats October 6, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I always get hungrier the more I workout. But the good thing is, i always crave healthy foods!

When i haven’t worked out in a while i crave the not-so-good stuff that always makes me feeling even more blahh
Lexie @ This Aussie Eats recently posted..Mini Kiss Pies

35 Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 6, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Working out definitely makes me more hungry, so it could be that!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Straight-From-Heaven Sugar Cookies

36 Aleksandra @ Diary of a Liveaboard October 6, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Hunger and working out don’t always correlate — though I usually want a much more substantial afternoon snack if I’ve done a killer workout. I ran this morning and lifted weights and I just had a handful of wasabi almonds, a cheese stick and I’m staring down an apple right now!

In general though, I find that I am sometimes ravenous for DAYS like you are now and other times just kind of meh about it. My body has never let me down, though, so I pretty much just go with it when it’s having an extra hungry week or an extra not-hungry week. Trust yourself! It’ll all balance out if you’re healthy. :)
Aleksandra @ Diary of a Liveaboard recently posted..Oh the humidity!

37 allison October 6, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I hear ya on the being a bottomless pit thing. Ever since I started on those eXtreme workouts I have been ravenous. I am literally eating more food at every meal than my boyfriend is. I can’t seem to ever get full.
allison recently posted..group workouts rant.

38 Jaci October 6, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I’m always my snackiest around 4. Have you been tested for Celiac or gluten sensitivity?

39 Courtney October 6, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I have, but it turned up negative

40 Jaci October 7, 2011 at 8:53 am

:( stomach and back pain are, I think, two of the worst types of pains/uncomfortableness.

41 Courtney October 7, 2011 at 9:12 am

Yes, they are :(

42 Shayla @ The Good Life October 6, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I have a definite correlation between workouts and hunger..but sometimes on my rest days, like today, I’m a bottomless pit and I’m like, why on a day I didn’t break one ounce of sweat?! That will always boggle my mind…

I find it interesting you higher hunger levels are in correlation to the same time you started your new job…are you standing more? I find just a bit more activity in my day, even starting a new job due to the newness of it all, will up my hunger levels just due to either the excitement of it all or just simply moving around more. Or it could be that time of the month?! ;)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Seasonal Cravings

43 Shayla @ The Good Life October 6, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Btw anything with the word “buns” in it makes me giggle – we can be immature together ;)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Seasonal Cravings

44 Courtney October 6, 2011 at 9:47 pm

We are awesome :)

45 Courtney October 6, 2011 at 9:46 pm

You know, that’s a good point, Shayla! I am moving around a bit more, so that could definitely have something to do with it…I think that’s my only option this week out of what you suggested as possibilities ;)

46 Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 6, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I tend to be much hungrier on my rest days unless it happens to be a long run day. Then I’m STARVING!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..12 Wheatless Weeks: Banana Nut Muffins

47 Liz @ iheartvegetables October 7, 2011 at 11:44 am

When I do cardio or go for a run, I swear my stomach has NO bottom!
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..Friday Funday